Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: The Unemployed / Made Redundent / Help each other through it Thread

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Off Topic >> RE: The Unemployed / Made Redundent / Help each other through it Thread Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The Unemployed / Made Redundent / Help each other t... - 3/2/2012 10:14:42 PM   
vad3r

I was unemployed for a couple of years. I've now been working in PC World for the last six months. That's my life story thus far.

Single Virgin Mod Candidate 2013

quote:

ORIGINAL: horribleives
To paraphrase the great man himself:

Vad3r won't go anywhere near this.

(in reply to Rhubarb)
Post #: 31
RE: The Unemployed / Made Redundent / Help each other t... - 4/2/2012 6:12:36 AM   
Hood_Man

quote:

ORIGINAL: tarantinofan

I think the biggest problem I have as an unemployed graduate is knowing what my limits are, in other words what is a realistic career target for myself and what is not. I'm almost 24 and so I wonder which careers it is too late to enter with minimal experience at this point. The cliche is "there are no limits" but given the nature of the current job market that does not seem altogether realistic.

I feel the same way. I'm 24 and the career I want to get into isn't interested so much in qualifications as it is in experience, and I seriously whether uni was worth it. If I'd started at 18 I could have had a 6 year head start.

That's just my depressing side taking over though what's done is done, and going to uni did have its benefits, it's just hard to imagine right now.

(in reply to tarantinofan)
Post #: 32
RE: The Unemployed / Made Redundent / Help each other t... - 8/2/2012 12:42:15 PM   
JIm R

Just applied to Love Film for a job in customer development. Fingers crossed please everyone. Ta

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 33
RE: The Unemployed / Made Redundent / Help each other t... - 8/2/2012 12:45:30 PM   
matty_b

I will keep my fingers crossed for you, JIm.

But mainly because when I have problems with my account, I shall now straight to you.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

(in reply to JIm R)
Post #: 34
RE: The Unemployed / Made Redundent / Help each other t... - 8/2/2012 12:49:42 PM   
JIm R

quote:

ORIGINAL: matty_b

I will keep my fingers crossed for you, JIm.

But mainly because when I have problems with my account, I shall now straight to you.

I'll see what I can do for you matty

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 35
RE: The Unemployed / Made Redundent / Help each other t... - 8/2/2012 12:54:45 PM   
Spaldron

I'm volunteering in Barnardo's (again) to fill that gap in my CV.

And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts
And I looked and behold, a pale horse
And his name that sat on him was Death
And Hell followed with him.

(in reply to JIm R)
Post #: 36
RE: The Unemployed / Made Redundent / Help each other t... - 8/2/2012 1:00:53 PM   
JIm R

quote:

ORIGINAL: Spaldron

Spaldes, can Iask, how are the job centre and subsequent benefits 'allowance' affected by vouluntary work, in my experience they tend to say you can do only do 'x' number of hours or worse, view it badly as in their eyes, you are not making yourself available for work as such by volunteering.

Hope all goes well with it

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 37
RE: The Unemployed / Made Redundent / Help each other t... - 8/2/2012 1:11:27 PM   
DazDaMan

My local job centre never had a problem with it when I was volunteering for the RDA. I only did it three days a week, one day of which was a Saturday.

You fucking fuckers are gonna do what I say or I'm going to stick my foot so far up your assholes you'll rue the day you crawled out of your mother's twat!

(in reply to JIm R)
Post #: 38
RE: The Unemployed / Made Redundent / Help each other t... - 8/2/2012 1:19:35 PM   
JIm R

quote:

ORIGINAL: DazDaMan

My local job centre never had a problem with it when I was volunteering for the RDA. I only did it three days a week, one day of which was a Saturday.

Thanks Daz for info

(in reply to DazDaMan)
Post #: 39
RE: The Unemployed / Made Redundent / Help each other t... - 8/2/2012 5:08:29 PM   
Spaldron

quote:

ORIGINAL: JIm R

quote:

Spaldes, can Iask, how are the job centre and subsequent benefits 'allowance' affected by vouluntary work, in my experience they tend to say you can do only do 'x' number of hours or worse, view it badly as in their eyes, you are not making yourself available for work as such by volunteering.

I'm working with an outside provider contracted by the JCP so they can pretty much let me volunteer wherever and whenever. It was they who encouraged me to take up the post just as to fill in the gap on the CV. I'm only working there 2 days a week so its no big deal.

And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts
And I looked and behold, a pale horse
And his name that sat on him was Death
And Hell followed with him.

(in reply to JIm R)
Post #: 40
RE: The Unemployed / Made Redundent / Help each other t... - 8/2/2012 5:23:50 PM   
Your Funny Uncle

quote:

ORIGINAL: superdan

quote:

ORIGINAL: indysgill

Also, I go to an interview during my current job's working hoursand arrive in my uniform, so that I can go right back to work after the interview. Would this be a no no?

I think as long as you explain it, there's no problem. I wouldn't have an issue with it if I was interviewing someone in that situation anyway, it seems like a perfectly reasonable thing to do.

I actually arranged for the guy who interviwed me for my current job to conduct the interview whilst I was at work in my old job. We even used my old bosses office!

Empires Top 100 Movie Characters of All Time! - VOTE NOW by clicking HERE

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 41
RE: The Unemployed / Made Redundent / Help each other t... - 8/2/2012 7:59:58 PM   
JIm R

quote:

quote:

quote:

I'm working with an outside provider contracted by the JCP so they can pretty much let me volunteer wherever and whenever. It was they who encouraged me to take up the post just as to fill in the gap on the CV. I'm only working there 2 days a week so its no big deal.

Thanks Spaldy, I'll keep this info in my back pocket when the inevitable trip to the job centre comes along in March

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 42
RE: The Unemployed / Made Redundent / Help each other t... - 8/2/2012 8:46:36 PM   
deniseA

As long as you prove you are looking for and available for work (as per your agreed action plan) you can do as much voluntary work as you like, seeing as you don't generally need permission to take time off to attend interviews and such.

I was made redundant last year, ironically (or perhaps not) from a back to work training provider after several years (before that I worked for an Employment agency) We held and ran a prime contract under the old Labour New Deal work programme. I mostly worked in admin and finance but I did have two spells as an 'Employment Trainer'. When the new Work Programme was launched we failed to win one of the two prime contracts in our area, and had to settle for a small sub-contract with a small staff level. I stayed for a little while after that before time was called.

Having children I took a little break after that, and eventually took a part-time job in a Building Society now I'm mulling over going full-time again as ISA season has just started.

quote:

Unfortunately this is the general case with the Job Centre. Unless you are really REALLY desperate for work and would be happy for low-end stuff like that, the JC is not for professionals or those looking at a specific field.

Just to pick up on this a little, the mandate is that they are (generally) not there to help you find the job you want, but to assist you in finding something you are capable of doing. General rule is you have 13 weeks to look for the type of work you want to do, after that anything goes. Now maybe you usually work in I.T. and don't like the thought of working on a production line (for an example) and dread the moment your advisor printing off that paper with the how to apply details on it, easiest thing to do, apply for it anyway. It doesn't have to be a good application. But anything the Jobcentre hands you are the ones they will check you have applied for and possibly sanction you for when you don't. Not that I'm advocating purposely screwing up an application of course, but you don't want to get caught out not applying for something when you really are trying hard to get a job in or close to your field.

< Message edited by deniseA -- 8/2/2012 9:38:28 PM >

(in reply to JIm R)
Post #: 43
RE: The Unemployed / Made Redundent / Help each other t... - 16/2/2012 3:06:44 PM   
JIm R

Offically at last been put out of my misery and job has gone. Relieved to be honest. so much f*cking about, I can now move on and give official dates to interested employers.

(in reply to deniseA)
Post #: 44
RE: The Unemployed / Made Redundent / Help each other t... - 16/2/2012 4:03:16 PM   
matthewforan

Was made redundant in November after the firm I did admin for went into liquidation, so far no real luck only had one interview so far...

How the rest of you guys structuring your days?

"The Irish have always been victims of negative stereotyping. I mean people think we're all drunks and brawlers. And sometimes that gets you so mad all you wanna do is get drunk and punch somebody"

Clear Eyes Full Hearts Can't Lose

Punchdrunk RIP

(in reply to JIm R)
Post #: 45
RE: The Unemployed / Made Redundent / Help each other t... - 16/2/2012 4:10:17 PM   
JIm R

My days are going to be spent following leads and taking up offers of meetings that are in pipeline and working out how I will keep roof over my head. As well as applying for a shed load of jobs.

(in reply to matthewforan)
Post #: 46
RE: The Unemployed / Made Redundent / Help each other t... - 16/2/2012 4:33:26 PM   
matthewforan

That seems like a logical plan but really just about how you go about finding that jobs, be it internet, phone, papers...

"The Irish have always been victims of negative stereotyping. I mean people think we're all drunks and brawlers. And sometimes that gets you so mad all you wanna do is get drunk and punch somebody"

Clear Eyes Full Hearts Can't Lose

Punchdrunk RIP

(in reply to JIm R)
Post #: 47
RE: The Unemployed / Made Redundent / Help each other t... - 16/2/2012 4:41:07 PM   
JIm R

quote:

ORIGINAL: matthewforan

That seems like a logical plan but really just about how you go about finding that jobs, be it internet, phone, papers...

Am signed to Reed Agnecy and website, papers, spec letters and contacts, t'internet.

(in reply to matthewforan)
Post #: 48
RE: The Unemployed / Made Redundent / Help each other t... - 16/2/2012 7:51:21 PM   
Sledge Hammer

I was made redundant in May 2010 and still havent gotten back into a job. I have been shortlisted to the final 2 half a dozen times and have lost out to:

Being a bigger retention risk due to my experience (I was more likely to leave for something better than the other guy- ie I was better and hence more employable to others)
The other guy was currently employed doing the job (happened twice)
I wasnt related to the hiring manager (that wasnt the reason given obviously but the truth)
A flip of a coin (unbeliveable but true)
Over experienced

Recruitment agencies are good but also applying directly to people is a sign of ambition which I would recommend.

As for what I have done with my day - I set up my own company as I couldnt face the dregs of humanity who inhabited by job centre - uncouth, addicts...general riff raff. It was soul destroying.

So by having my own company, I forfeit my 35 a week but it does fill a gap on my CV if questioned about it. I have done consultancy work but its extremely hard to find. But what I have done is set up my own forum when I spotted an opportunity - I used to go on the BBCs 606 sports forum. It announced that it was closing last May so I set up my own. Nearly 4000 members and a modest revenue coming through (606v2.com - if anyone wants to come over and join!).

It has led to some very interesting things - I have set up my own journal (v2journal.com) and I get press access to most sports events (for example the 6 nations), Not making a living from it but should it continue to grow, maybe one day I will. No matter what happens going forward, it will be a nice little extra bit of pay to any job I take.

< Message edited by Sledge Hammer -- 16/2/2012 7:52:50 PM >

new sports forum - http://www.606v2.com

Check it out!

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 49
RE: The Unemployed / Made Redundent / Help each other t... - 16/2/2012 10:50:10 PM   
Harley Quinn

have been out of work for almost 2 years which is soul destroying, My situation at the moment means it's virtually impossible for me to work. I'm a PA/Event's manager/PR type person. I've been given the opportunity to work with Jim on his film doing PR and bits which will close a gap on my CV and I'm going on a course about going self employed am looking at running an ebay store selling vintage pretties.

"A mother's love for her child is like nothing else in the world. It knows no law, no pity, it dares all things and crushes down remorselessly all that stands in its path."

Owner of the Naughty Milkmaid.

(in reply to Sledge Hammer)
Post #: 50
RE: The Unemployed / Made Redundent / Help each other t... - 17/2/2012 5:18:10 PM   
JIm R

Question Peops - When applying for a role and the job asks for experience with a particular computer system relative to that field (this being a stock programme for retail) and you don't have experience do you

a) Say yes you do and get training / knowledge prior to possible interview

b) Say no, be honest and indicate you are open to training, quick learner and adaptable etc.

c) Just don't mention it in covering letter and wait until it's brought up in possible dialogue with them at some point in future

Thanks

(in reply to Harley Quinn)
Post #: 51
RE: The Unemployed / Made Redundent / Help each other t... - 17/2/2012 6:18:31 PM   
Funkyrae

None, I go with D: Yes, you have used that particular package before, but it was a while ago and you're rusty on it/yes, you have used it but not for long because [insert generic reason here] and would the company be prepared to give you a refresher course?

If they say no, the company aren't worth working with.

That's me that is!

(in reply to JIm R)
Post #: 52
RE: The Unemployed / Made Redundent / Help each other t... - 17/2/2012 8:34:42 PM   
JIm R

quote:

ORIGINAL: Funkyrae

None, I go with D: Yes, you have used that particular package before, but it was a while ago and you're rusty on it/yes, you have used it but not for long because [insert generic reason here] and would the company be prepared to give you a refresher course?

Cheers Funky, I'll go with that, blatent lying and manufactured cover up, cheers

(in reply to Funkyrae)
Post #: 53
RE: The Unemployed / Made Redundent / Help each other t... - 17/2/2012 11:37:19 PM   
KnightofZyryab

quote:

ORIGINAL: Funkyrae

Good advice, that's the same answer I give in interviews when I get asked if I can use pivot tables in Excel etc.

But in the meantime it is well worth building up your skills with basic IT packages because most of the time you can teach yourself the skills or use tutorials which are free and all over the internet.

Imminent viewings : The Place Beyond the Pines

Read my blog at: http://alcentrodelaberinto.blogspot.com/

(in reply to Funkyrae)
Post #: 54
RE: The Unemployed / Made Redundent / Help each other t... - 1/3/2012 11:24:42 AM   
JIm R

One or two organisations showing interest in me. Had an interview yesterday that was pretty positive. Step in right direction.

< Message edited by JIm R -- 1/3/2012 11:25:06 AM >

(in reply to KnightofZyryab)
Post #: 55
RE: The Unemployed / Made Redundent / Help each other t... - 1/3/2012 11:36:36 AM   
Skiba

quote:

One or two organisations showing interest in me. Had an interview yesterday that was pretty positive. Step in right direction.

Good work...fingers crossed

I've had a few knockbacks this week from applications which I'm very disappointed about...really thought I'd get an interview with one of them as I hit every essential criteria and part of the desirable. Took me a fucking age to do the application as well!

Have a good time, all the time.

(in reply to JIm R)
Post #: 56
RE: The Unemployed / Made Redundent / Help each other t... - 1/3/2012 11:38:52 AM   
JIm R

quote:

ORIGINAL: Skiba

quote:

Good work...fingers crossed

I've had a few knockbacks this week from applications which I'm very disappointed about...really thought I'd get an interview with one of them as I hit every essential criteria and part of the desirable. Took me a fucking age to do the application as well!

Thanks dude and am sorry to hear your knockbacks, always a tough one to get over when you know given the chance you could do the job.

Sure things will work out mate.

(in reply to Skiba)
Post #: 57
RE: The Unemployed / Made Redundent / Help each other t... - 1/3/2012 11:45:38 AM   
Skiba

Cheers mate. I've got a couple of things that I have applied for and a couple more that I will today and tomorrow. Problem is, I'm trying to change industry. I've worked in media/advertising for the best part of 15 years and I've just had enough of it. Soul destroying. It's taken me this long to work out!

The two I got no's from this week were working in marketing communications in a university and a charity. Not a million miles away in terms of the job but very different environments from what I've come from.

(in reply to JIm R)
Post #: 58
RE: The Unemployed / Made Redundent / Help each other t... - 1/3/2012 11:50:49 AM   
JIm R

quote:

Cheers mate. I've got a couple of things that I have applied for and a couple more that I will today and tomorrow. Problem is, I'm trying to change industry. I've worked in media/advertising for the best part of 15 years and I've just had enough of it. Soul destroying. It's taken me this long to work out!

The two I got no's from this week were working in marketing communications in a university and a charity. Not a million miles away in terms of the job but very different environments from what I've come from.

Concentrate on your key transferable skills not necessirily the industry change. As you say similar job skills which you clearly have, depends where you were looking in the charity and university, having worked in both charity and education before health (where I am now) I know the skillset you have would directly relatable, particuarlu fund raising within charity.

(in reply to Skiba)
Post #: 59
RE: The Unemployed / Made Redundent / Help each other t... - 1/3/2012 12:11:47 PM   
Skiba

quote:

quote:

Concentrate on your key transferable skills not necessirily the industry change. As you say similar job skills which you clearly have, depends where you were looking in the charity and university, having worked in both charity and education before health (where I am now) I know the skillset you have would directly relatable, particuarlu fund raising within charity.

Yes I have definitely concentrated on the transferable skills of which there are many I think...I've got web content, email marketing and social media marketing experience as well, which was from a commerical point of view, but again in the same ball park of what a uni/charity would want I think

(in reply to JIm R)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Off Topic >> RE: The Unemployed / Made Redundent / Help each other through it Thread Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI