Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

THE GREY

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> THE GREY Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
THE GREY - 27/1/2012 11:14:40 PM   
Snake-Eyes

I'm not good at writing reviews (and hopefully, someday my compadre evil bill will do the honours here) - I just got back from watching Joe Carnahan's 'Man-vs-Nature' thriller, THE GREY.

Good stuff man! This is Mr. Carnahan returning to the bleak and harsh type of story-telling that made NARC so special, even though this is obviously a very different type of film. From the opening shot, the tone is established and the audience knows what type of ride to expect. The ever-reliable Liam Neeson may not be as bad-a$$ as he was in TAKEN but still very believable as 'Ottway', a man who is thrust into these extreme survival circumstances and is called upon to lead a group of plane crash survivors across a snowy landscape. Now, the wolves themselves - I liked the way they are ever-present but not always shown. I don't wanna ruin it for those who haven't seen it just yet but it was a great film to kick off my cinema-going year.

I have one wee criticism - the scene that you wanted to see the MOST in the film... isn't in the film. That's all I'll say

< Message edited by Snake-Eyes -- 27/1/2012 11:15:39 PM >

"When you have to shoot, shoot don't talk."

http://www.expendablespremiere.com/index.html
Post #: 1
RE: THE GREY - 28/1/2012 10:45:57 AM   
Whistler

Can I take a wild guess that the scene in question involves broken bottles strapped to certain appendages? I might be seeing this today, looking forward to it!

(in reply to Snake-Eyes)
Post #: 2
RE: THE GREY - 28/1/2012 1:39:33 PM   
DazDaMan

I still really want to see this!

You fucking fuckers are gonna do what I say or I'm going to stick my foot so far up your assholes you'll rue the day you crawled out of your mother's twat!

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 3
RE: THE GREY - 28/1/2012 2:25:49 PM   
evil bill

quote:

ORIGINAL: Snake-Eyes

I'm not good at writing reviews (and hopefully, someday my compadre evil bill will do the honours here) - I just got back from watching Joe Carnahan's 'Man-vs-Nature' thriller, THE GREY.

Good stuff man! This is Mr. Carnahan returning to the bleak and harsh type of story-telling that made NARC so special, even though this is obviously a very different type of film. From the opening shot, the tone is established and the audience knows what type of ride to expect. The ever-reliable Liam Neeson may not be as bad-a$$ as he was in TAKEN but still very believable as 'Ottway', a man who is thrust into these extreme survival circumstances and is called upon to lead a group of plane crash survivors across a snowy landscape. Now, the wolves themselves - I liked the way they are ever-present but not always shown. I don't wanna ruin it for those who haven't seen it just yet but it was a great film to kick off my cinema-going year.

I have one wee criticism - the scene that you wanted to see the MOST in the film... isn't in the film. That's all I'll say

Going to see this,this Tuesday,and really looking forward to seeing the big man in action again.

"You listen to me now,i will find you and i will kill you!"

(in reply to Snake-Eyes)
Post #: 4
THE GREY - 28/1/2012 5:48:25 PM   
Snake-Eyes

quote:

ORIGINAL: evil bill

Going to see this,this Tuesday,and really looking forward to seeing the big man in action again.

Neeson has a great screen presence doesn't he?

Man, I wanna watch TAKEN again...!

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 5
RE: THE GREY - 28/1/2012 5:52:12 PM   
Rgirvan44

Very strong film....

but the audience will be left disappointed by the ending. Sometimes you need to give the people what they want.

Still I hope you all know there is a tiny tiny scene at the very end after the credits.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to Snake-Eyes)
Post #: 6
RE: THE GREY - 28/1/2012 5:54:18 PM   
Snake-Eyes

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rgirvan44

Very strong film....

but the audience will be left disappointed by the ending. Sometimes you need to give the people what they want.

Still I hope you all know there is a tiny tiny scene at the very end after the credits.

Aw bo**ocks! really? F**k. I KNEW I shoulda waited 'til the very end!

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 7
RE: THE GREY - 29/1/2012 8:51:48 PM   
DazDaMan

Went to see it this afternoon - what a proper corker this is!

A genuinely tense, nail-biting, properly gruesome thriller with a few genuine "jump" moments. Liam Neeson rocks the shit.

And yes, that scene after the credits....

Definitely one for the DVD collection.

You fucking fuckers are gonna do what I say or I'm going to stick my foot so far up your assholes you'll rue the day you crawled out of your mother's twat!

(in reply to Snake-Eyes)
Post #: 8
RE: THE GREY - 30/1/2012 1:18:37 PM   
mackey

Fantastic film with Neeson on top form. Great to see Joe Carnahan back on form after the overblown nonsense of Smokin' Aces and The A-Team. This film had it all - visceral thrills, horror, action, humour & spirituality. I didn't see the scene after the credits either unfortunately but nevertheless I thought the ending was very fitting and packed a real emotional wallop. Great stuff - can't wait to see it again.

I know that look; it's the same look my father gave me when I told him I wanted to be a ventriloquist.

(in reply to DazDaMan)
Post #: 9
RE: THE GREY - 30/1/2012 9:06:48 PM   
Whistler

I really enjoyed it. Neeson does his usual thing, and he does it well. The plane crash is bloody intense, and the wolf attacks are brutal and shocking. I could have done without the cliché, one-dimensional "nay-sayer" who always crops up in this kind of film, but at least he "grows up" a bit during the course of the film. Overall it's a first-rate thriller that had me gripped from start to finish. And those wolves are freakin' creepy...

(in reply to mackey)
Post #: 10
RE: THE GREY - 30/1/2012 9:24:38 PM   
DazDaMan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Whistler

I really enjoyed it. Neeson does his usual thing, and he does it well. The plane crash is bloody intense, and the wolf attacks are brutal and shocking. I could have done without the cliché, one-dimensional "nay-sayer" who always crops up in this kind of film, but at least he "grows up" a bit during the course of the film. Overall it's a first-rate thriller that had me gripped from start to finish. And those wolves are freakin' creepy...

That bit where they're looking up the hill after having killed the omega wolf, and the alpha howls back at them put the shits right up me!

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 11
RE: THE GREY - 30/1/2012 10:09:36 PM   
Whistler

quote:

ORIGINAL: DazDaMan

quote:

That bit where they're looking up the hill after having killed the omega wolf, and the alpha howls back at them put the shits right up me!

Indeed! Just seeing the breath in the moonlight *shivers*. But I loved Neeson's "let's shove a stick up that wolf's ass" line

(in reply to DazDaMan)
Post #: 12
RE: THE GREY - 31/1/2012 7:54:20 AM   
DazDaMan

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: DazDaMan

quote:

Indeed! Just seeing the breath in the moonlight *shivers*.

YES!! It's making me shiver just thinking about it!

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 13
RE: THE GREY - 1/2/2012 9:01:17 PM   
evil bill

In The Grey, John Ottway(Liam Neeson) leads seven survivors oil-rig roughnecks when during a intense blizzard their plane crashes into the remote Alaskan wilderness. Battling mortal injuries and merciless weather, the survivors have only a few days to escape the icy elements and a vicious pack of rogue wolves on the hunt before their time runs out.

Director Joe Carnahan is probably best known for shit like The A Team,though he did the more bullets for your money Smokin Aces,an excellent action/thriller.I remember him more for this and Narc,two films he can be proud of,and now this superb gritty survival thriller,full of thrills and genuine shocks,(well it made me jump once).It is also one of the best Wolf films made,and by that i not thinking Werewolf(though it comes up in one of the funny? moments in this tale),but more in the vain of WOLFEN,made back in the 80's where a pack of wolves are the stars.Where there's a deeper plot than you first see,dealing with equally,greed,primal fear and what of civilization if all goes wrong,where is God.The Grey in the title is not just about the Grey landscape so beautifully filmed,or the Grey wolves that attack,it is also about the grey area in life,that of death,friends,enemies,and what is morally right and wrong when it comes down to who will survive.The Grey is depressing,real,scary and without trying to preach it slips without you hardly noticing into every aspect of life,asking more questions than giving some answers to why shit happens,why are we here.This is a lot deeper than some may expect,but when you realize this is a Ridley and Tony Scott film,you are in no doubt it's also there vision of the world on screen.Man against nature,man against himself,company employees who are expendable,all theme's from so many Scott films.

It takes a big man(actor) to carry off a film like this and make it feel real,and Liam Neeson is awesome in this,like in Taken,he is phenomenal when it come to portraying deeper emotions,like loss,courage and that damn stubborn streak the Irish seem to have in bucket loads.All these feelings and more are all on show and not just from Liam,but the rest of this great supporting cast,who are a real mixture of working people who just want to get home,to lovers family or just the next bottle of bourbon.They all help make this picture feel and look real,as do the wolves,who seem to reflect at times the fight in camp between the survivors,but in the end are the hunters who's land has been invaded.

Some have felt the action scenes are badly handled, just because the camera pulls away from showing throats being ripped open,i felt is wrong.There's enough blood and gore on show,and the attacks on a number of the men showed enough,with out resorting to full on blood pumping,flesh tearing horror.Like all good horror films,it's not always what you see that scares you,or makes you clutch at your stomach for fear of wreaching.Saying that there's plenty of sharp teeth on show,and ripping sounds to keep you on edge but still glued to the show,and the attacks are well filmed,visually striking, and jaw-dropping in fact with some truly creepy moments to add to the chills also.The wolves are horrifying, yet never made to look evil or bad just simply nature at it's most real and vicious,and again stunningly filmed for maximum impact.The scenes of them attacking reminded me very much of the BBC documentary Frozen planet,where a pack of wolves out for food bring down a deer.Yes it's that real looking and why i belive this director and his producers got the mix of horror and realism just about right,and there will be those i'm sure will pick holes in the script.Me i just sat back and let this film take me on a journey,and was well rewarded with everything on screen,and yes i stayed right to the very last title to see,the real end of the film??8/10

"You listen to me now,i will find you and i will kill you!"

(in reply to Snake-Eyes)
Post #: 14
RE: THE GREY - 2/2/2012 9:57:04 AM   
Timon

I thought it was excellent and I'm glad it was not what I was expecting.

The scene at night where the two packs 'faced off' against each other was a pure nail biter.

Plus the film made me look twice at our puppy when I got home...

< Message edited by Timon -- 2/2/2012 9:58:15 AM >

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Twitter: @timonsingh

(in reply to Snake-Eyes)
Post #: 15
RE: THE GREY - 2/2/2012 11:10:52 AM   
DazDaMan

I remember watching the scene where Neeson is showing them how to make spears tipped with shotgun shells, and turning to my mate and saying... "Like a bangstick."*

Which is exactly what Neeson said about two seconds after!

*For those not in the know, a bangstick is used as a means of killing a shark. Interestingly enough, it's one of these that Hooper was to originally use in JAWS.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 16
RE: THE GREY - 13/2/2012 4:14:57 PM   
ElephantBoy

Based on the poster and trailer (which did admitley have some comic value) at first I wasn't going to go and see this film, but based on some strong reviews and Neeson in the lead role think I will give it a go after all.

Although he is sometimes incopnsistant more often than not he is watchable and I do think he makes for a credible action man.

(in reply to DazDaMan)
Post #: 17
RE: THE GREY - 14/5/2012 5:40:46 PM   
azzman1984

I watched The Grey last night, its a really good and intense film plus an amazing performance by Liam Nesson.

(in reply to ElephantBoy)
Post #: 18
RE: THE GREY - 20/5/2012 4:37:42 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

shall i pick this up tomorrow? Would be a blind buy for me!

Pack your bags, we're going on a guilt trip!

(in reply to azzman1984)
Post #: 19
RE: THE GREY - 21/5/2012 1:51:47 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

Don't anyone worrying about advising me, it's too late! (just got The Grey on lunch)

(in reply to DONOVAN KURTWOOD)
Post #: 20
RE: THE GREY - 21/5/2012 2:53:26 PM   
Cool Breeze

quote:

ORIGINAL: DONOVAN KURTWOOD

Don't anyone worrying about advising me, it's too late! (just got The Grey on lunch)

You had The Grey for lunch?

'' Iv played Oskar Schindler, Michael Collins, Rob Roy Mcgregor, even ZEUS for gods sake! No one is going to believe me to be a green grocer! ''

Post #: 21
RE: THE GREY - 21/5/2012 8:50:00 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

doesn't sound too appetising does it?

(in reply to Cool Breeze)
Post #: 22
RE: THE GREY - 21/5/2012 10:37:46 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

chalk me up as another who thought this movie was awesome. Really great movie on many levels, great performances and direction, love it! I can almost come to terms with carnahan doing this instead of A Team 2!

Post #: 23
RE: THE GREY - 2/7/2012 6:29:51 PM   
rich

Neeson is great, and it's a cold, moody picture.... but I can't help feeling it wasn't sure whether the monster wolves movie where people are bitten to death or the serious character drama where Ottway curses God should have been more at the forefront than the other. Sort of as though there was a battle to make this more Narc than the A-Team. Perhaps battling with a wolf was just too difficult as a special effect, I don't know. Still some great moments though, I like the use of cuts of little pieces like the wife or the daughter showed the mindset of the survivors, or the part where the mouthy asshole guy gives up to look at the view, knowing he's totally fucked.

< Message edited by rich -- 2/7/2012 6:33:50 PM >

Meanwhile...

Post #: 24
RE: THE GREY - 3/7/2012 10:54:44 AM   
st3veebee

I was torn between getting this and Haywire in a 2 for 1 HMV deal on Friday. I'm fairly sure I chose poorly, in fact I could even have replaced War Horse with this....

Latest Films:

Two days in New York: 4/5

Prometheus: 3.5/5

Abe Lincoln: VH 3/5

Twin Peaks: FWWM 3.5/5

(in reply to rich)
Post #: 25
RE: THE GREY - 3/7/2012 10:23:37 PM   
DazDaMan

I've not yet picked this up on DVD - really should have, as I thought it kicked major ass!*

*Fuck it, Amazon it is....

(in reply to st3veebee)
Post #: 26
RE: THE GREY - 4/7/2012 8:31:57 PM   
Nexus Wookie

Unfortunately, I 've yet to watch this film. But looking forward to it on DVD. I saw it today but it was priced a little to high for my liking - but i'll definitely add it to my must watch list especially going on all the positive post's coming from this thread.

My blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

(in reply to DazDaMan)
Post #: 27
RE: THE GREY - 6/7/2012 12:49:21 AM   
moviebuff73

i watched this a few weeks ago on dvd & i thought it was abit shit. it reminded me of a final destination movie, but with wolves.

(in reply to Nexus Wookie)
Post #: 28
RE: THE GREY - 8/7/2012 10:21:14 AM   
TragicRomantic

Quality film with a bit of everything.The death scene at the start was so real.Quite unusual as a whole and hard to categorise.Some beautiful cinematography.8/10

Life,love and film-enjoy all like fine wine
Silence the doubters
Embrace the lovers
Ignore the haters

(in reply to moviebuff73)
Post #: 29
RE: THE GREY - 9/7/2012 3:53:53 PM   
ElephantBoy

Better than I was expecting. Neeson is very solid and engaging in the lead and the atmosphere is quite impressive. The main weakness of the film is the way they try to shoehorn in the male bonding,sprital elements, both are totally underdevolped. Its a decent watch which serves its target audience well, but nothing special.

6.5/10

< Message edited by ElephantBoy -- 12/7/2012 9:49:31 PM >

(in reply to TragicRomantic)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> THE GREY Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI