Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: X-Men: First Class

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> RE: X-Men: First Class Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: X-Men: First Class - 1/2/2012 12:41:13 PM   
The REAL Bozz

I wasn't one of First Classes biggest fans either Cool Breeze. A good film to be sure but far from fantastic. I'll see the sequel for sure but I'm expecting it to be a along the lines of First Class. Good but nothing special.

Films I've watched
Star Trek Into Darkness ***
Iron Man 3 *****
Evil Dead (2013) ***
Bait 3D ***

(in reply to adambatman82)
Post #: 31
RE: X-Men: First Class - 1/2/2012 1:21:22 PM   
gazpop

quote:

ORIGINAL: adambatman82

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze

I thought First Class was easily the weakest of the X series so far.It should have been called '' X-Kids '' since it seemed to focus more on the teen characters played by bad actors rather than Xavier and Magneto.And lets face it,even there Mcavoy and Fassbender are no Stewart and Mckellan.One of the strengths of the original trilogy of X men films was the great cast and i would like to see a return to the original timeline and X team.

What did you think of Fassbender's accent?

Will we never hear the end of it?

ps-I didn't notice to be honest, sorry. I know his accent changed when he was with different people (he obviously speaks loads of languages), but I thought I knew why. But I didn't notice him change it mid-speech. Point those occurrences out for me and I will have a look the next time I'm bored shiteless

Yeah, that's real fine expensive gear you brought out here, Mr. Hooper.'Course I don't know what that bastard shark's gonna do with it-might eat it I suppose. Seen one eat a rockin' chair one time. Hey chieffy, next time you just ask me which line to pull

Post #: 32
RE: X-Men: First Class - 1/2/2012 1:24:27 PM   
adambatman82

quote:

ORIGINAL: gazpop

ps-I didn't notice to be honest, sorry. I know his accent changed when he was with different people (he obviously speaks loads of languages), but I thought I knew why. But I didn't notice him change it mid-speech. Point those occurrences out for me and I will have a look the next time I'm bored shiteless

Ha, I had no problems with the accent either, I was just curious to hear what CB thought about it.

(in reply to gazpop)
Post #: 33
RE: X-Men: First Class - 1/2/2012 1:45:23 PM   
gazpop

He was so cool in it who cares? He could out-cool The Driver man. Or just life up his motor with him in it and chuck it towards China. I was surprised at how much of a backlash it got after at first seeming to please the fanboy base. I guess 24 seconds of Logan just ain't enough.
And speaking of Logan, that was a pretty stoopid scene wasn't it? They traipse around the globe finding other mutants. One of them tells them to fuck off and they do! I'm pretty sure Prof X would've had a rumble through his noggin to see what was what. It's also like Logan knew who they were and what they wanted. Dumb. But I still forgive cos the overall vibe of the film worked.
I know they've got the money and the desire (the execs) to make the next one but I'm guessing that money or no, Fassbender, Lawrence and Macca are in great demand right now. Be a shame to see someone other than those 3 come in to take on the roles if the film were set pre X-men 1. Hey ho....I'm off to find the 'I love The Prestige' thread as I just saw The Illusionist ( I know, I know, took my sweet time) and it is a much much better film.
Laters Batters

Yeah, that's real fine expensive gear you brought out here, Mr. Hooper.'Course I don't know what that bastard shark's gonna do with it-might eat it I suppose. Seen one eat a rockin' chair one time. Hey chieffy, next time you just ask me which line to pull

Post #: 34
RE: X-Men: First Class - 1/2/2012 1:56:40 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

i thought Fassbender and Macavoy were great together. Didn't mind Fassbender's accent slips. I actually noticed them mainly on my first viewing and didn't at all on my second.

Pack your bags, we're going on a guilt trip!

(in reply to gazpop)
Post #: 35
RE: X-Men: First Class - 1/2/2012 2:50:14 PM   
Cool Breeze

I wish the filmakers would realise that its not necessary to have Magneto appear in every film (Wolverine origins notwithstanding).There are other villains in the X mens rogues gallery that they could use.

And is Wolverine 2 still going ahead? What reality is it going to be set in? The First Class one or the original trilogy one?

'' Iv played Oskar Schindler, Michael Collins, Rob Roy Mcgregor, even ZEUS for gods sake! No one is going to believe me to be a green grocer! ''

(in reply to DONOVAN KURTWOOD)
Post #: 36
RE: X-Men: First Class - 1/2/2012 3:08:53 PM   
The REAL Bozz

^ This. That stupid Logan cameo set off two realities. Hated that. Plus the Emma Frost appearing in this 60's set movie as a adult and then in Origins as a teenager? Lol. Lazy continutiy. I like you're thinking regarding the world. X-Men is so much more than Wolverine and Mag's. They need to put some other characters into the spotlight. They won't of course but they should.

Films I've watched
Iron Man 3 *****
Evil Dead (2013) ***
Bait 3D ***

(in reply to Cool Breeze)
Post #: 37
RE: X-Men: First Class - 1/2/2012 3:21:00 PM   
shool

I thought this was the best Xmen film to date. Alot of fun.

Looking forward heartily to a sequel.

Invisio Text for Spoilers
[ color=#F1F1F1 ] Spoiler text [ /color ] , remove spaces between square brackets

"No one knows what it means, but it's provocative... It gets the people going!"

(in reply to The REAL Bozz)
Post #: 38
RE: X-Men: First Class - 1/2/2012 3:23:39 PM   
gazpop

They won't of course, you're right.
As to which reality? Well, it's gonna be the Japan story arc but I guess the powers that be don't seem to be able to acknowledge a difference between the First Class stuff and the previous films. The newest film seems a little more 'real' so I would hope they carry on in that stylee. I am also the only person on planet earth who enjoyed lots of Wolverine. So feel free to tear me a new one.....

Post #: 39
RE: X-Men: First Class - 1/2/2012 3:27:29 PM   
Harry Tuttle

quote:

ORIGINAL: shool

Looking forward heartily to a sequel.

I prefer X2 to it but I'd agree it's better than the rest. The strange continuity problems are kind of distracting but a few of them disappear if you pretend the risible Wolverine: Origins never existed, which I do anyway.

They shouldn't have crowbarred Wolverine into it though, that was ridiculous. Other than that I thought it was a fine film.

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Blood Island. So called because it's the exact shape of some blood

(in reply to shool)
Post #: 40
RE: X-Men: First Class - 1/2/2012 3:32:15 PM   
The REAL Bozz

It's good. I do enjoy it but it's far from the great film a lot of people made it out to be. Mcavoy and Fassbender made the film and that's not a good thing. They practically saved it and their great performences hid a lot of the problems. That shouldn't have been the case. The rest of the film, speaking only for myself, should have held up on it's own merits. I've been over this loads and don't wanna hark on about it. I'm a massive fan of the comics, still read 'em today but in my opinion most folk who enjoyed this don't read the comics. That's fine. I didn't like it though.

Films I've watched
Iron Man 3 *****
Evil Dead (2013) ***
Bait 3D ***

(in reply to Harry Tuttle)
Post #: 41
RE: X-Men: First Class - 1/2/2012 3:39:33 PM   
shool

Not seen Wolverine as it got such bad reviews.

Continuity factors dont bother me as its more of a reboot than a prequel i would say. I cant see them making any more Xmen sequels in the foreseeable future.
The problem is that if they dont recast Wolverine the products shelf life isnt going to last that long as Jackman is starting to look older. Eventually if the franchise continues they'll need to introduce Wolverine as he's a key player.

< Message edited by shool -- 1/2/2012 3:40:43 PM >

Invisio Text for Spoilers
[ color=#F1F1F1 ] Spoiler text [ /color ] , remove spaces between square brackets

"No one knows what it means, but it's provocative... It gets the people going!"

Post #: 42
RE: X-Men: First Class - 1/2/2012 3:49:30 PM   
The REAL Bozz

I think the Wolverine character, his being pushed to the center in the films was one of the worst decsions they could have made. It's gonna take a while to fix in my opinion. While I don't mind Last Stand having him be front and center and not Cyclops was criminal. If we were talking Batman here I think people would be more willing to agree but as it's X-Men it seems not to be so much an issue when it is really.

Films I've watched
Iron Man 3 *****
Evil Dead (2013) ***
Bait 3D ***

(in reply to shool)
Post #: 43
RE: X-Men: First Class - 1/2/2012 6:02:10 PM   
rich

The "Wolverine is the star" thing has been tainted by the previous movie. It's why I imagine they dropped X-Men Origins: Magneto idea, chopped and changed it and did this instead. They knew it dropped the ball and wanted to cut the associated brand name thing I suppose.

I honestly don't care about continuity, it can exist seperately. X-men and X2 are still great regardless of whether they had Charles and Eric meet in their teens in this, and so on. And I liked that it ignores Wolverine Origins (speaking of bad continuity) with things like that Emma Frost age difference, because it was not just a bad X-Men movie one of the worse films ever. The accent thing is funny though, I did notice but I didn't really care - since it makes no sense to begin with that someone from Nazi occupied Poland speaks like an English theatre actor.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Harry Tuttle

quote:

I prefer X2 to it but I'd agree it's better than the rest. The strange continuity problems are kind of distracting but a few of them disappear if you pretend the risible Wolverine: Origins never existed, which I do anyway.

They shouldn't have crowbarred Wolverine into it though, that was ridiculous. Other that I thought it was a fine film.

I still do prefer X-Men and X2, they are the better made films, and they do have better performances. Well ... mostly.

< Message edited by rich -- 1/2/2012 6:15:11 PM >

Weekend write-ups

Post #: 44
RE: X-Men: First Class - 1/2/2012 10:12:19 PM   
dannyfletch

Great X-Men movie, second best to X2! Who gives a fuck about historical inaccuracies in a superhero movie! Seriously, if you want accurate watch a damn documentary on Discovery and not a superhero film! It's Science FICTION!!!

Post #: 45
RE: X-Men: First Class - 12/4/2012 10:07:18 PM   
The REAL Bozz

Just watched this again. I like it a lot more, the more I watch it. I hope Emma Frost gets a bit more to do in the sequel. Unlike most I thought Jones nailed the part. She got the attitude spot on. Would have been better if Alice Eve had have kept the role, with her being British, like the character, but overall Jones was solid.

Films I've watched
Iron Man 3 *****
Evil Dead (2013) ***
Bait 3D ***

(in reply to dannyfletch)
Post #: 46
RE: X-Men: First Class - 13/4/2012 1:30:54 PM   
fuzzy

As much as I enjoyed it, the inconsistencies with the previous films still annoy me. And I can't even look at it as a reboot as there are still nods to the first 2 films at least - the very fact that they used lesser known characters and set it in the 60s is evidence alone that it was always designed as a fully-fledged prequel, but as soon as Singer and Vaughn came on board so did their egos and thats why we have the prequel/reboot mess.

I'm not saying they did a bad job with the film, far from it, it's probably the best Xmen since no. 2 - but was it so hard for them to just stick to the whole prequel thing? I understand that the pre-production was a complete mess with so many changes - but the one thing the studio set in stone was the characters, and Vaughn and Singer had carte blanche on pretty much everything else, so from there on in it was always going to be confused.

I just wish the studio had known what they were doing from the start and stuck to it. Reboot, fine, set it in present day with a recast and some new mutants, even follow the original comic line-up. Prequel, fine, set it in the 70/80s (60s is too bigger gap) with younger versions and new mutants - and link it with what's already been established. Unfortunately, as entertaining as it was, we got some weird hybrid and the sequel will no doubt continue the trend. I just would've liked to have seen one or the other, done well. Sadly, I don't think that will happen for a while yet.

Post #: 47
RE: X-Men: First Class - 13/4/2012 2:25:13 PM   
Cool Breeze

quote:

Not seen Wolverine as it got such bad reviews.

Continuity factors dont bother me as its more of a reboot than a prequel i would say. I cant see them making any more Xmen sequels in the foreseeable future.
The problem is that if they dont recast Wolverine the products shelf life isnt going to last that long as Jackman is starting to look older. Eventually if the franchise continues they'll need to introduce Wolverine as he's a key player.

You really should see it and make up your own mind.I enjoyed it despite its flaws and Liev Schreiber in particular is very good as Victor Creed.

I think they should clear up any confusion in the sequel and deviate further from the original trilogy timeline to make it abundantly clear that First Class is in fact a reboot.And get a different villain besides Magneto please.How about bringing in Mr Sinister or even Apocalypse?

The fact that the filming has been put back due to Jennifer Lawrences schedule may be a good thing and give them proper time for preproduction.A lot of the fx in First Class seemed unfinished as a result of the rushed schedule.

< Message edited by Cool Breeze -- 13/4/2012 2:27:10 PM >

'' Iv played Oskar Schindler, Michael Collins, Rob Roy Mcgregor, even ZEUS for gods sake! No one is going to believe me to be a green grocer! ''

(in reply to shool)
Post #: 48
RE: X-Men: First Class - 13/4/2012 3:33:14 PM   
The REAL Bozz

I'd love to see a flick without Magneto or Wolvie to be honest. The comic has so many other ( not saying better) but just as good characters both heroic and villain. Personally I'd like to see them get Psylocke into the films. Blows my mind how such a iconic and film ready gal hasn't had her chance to shine.

Films I've watched
Iron Man 3 *****
Evil Dead (2013) ***
Bait 3D ***

Post #: 49
RE: X-Men: First Class - 14/4/2012 3:02:59 PM   
fuzzy

quote:

ORIGINAL: The REAL Bozz

I'd love to see a flick without Magneto or Wolvie to be honest. The comic has so many other ( not saying better) but just as good characters both heroic and villain. Personally I'd like to see them get Psylocke into the films. Blows my mind how such a iconic and film ready gal hasn't had her chance to shine.

No she hasn't had her chance to shine, but she was in The Last Stand, albeit in a minor role. This is what she looked like...

Post #: 50
RE: X-Men: First Class - 14/4/2012 3:54:30 PM   
The REAL Bozz

Yeah I knew but I like to pretend that wasn't her as it was so not even worth it. Thankfully no one calls her Psylocke and her powers were crap in the film. I know she could manifest through shadows back in the day but they just had her coming through walls in the film. No. That wasn't her. Despite what the credits say lol

Films I've watched
Iron Man 3 *****
Evil Dead (2013) ***
Bait 3D ***

(in reply to fuzzy)
Post #: 51
RE: X-Men: First Class - 14/4/2012 4:13:07 PM   
Cool Breeze

quote:

ORIGINAL: The REAL Bozz

Yeah I knew but I like to pretend that wasn't her as it was so not even worth it. Thankfully no one calls her Psylocke and her powers were crap in the film. I know she could manifest through shadows back in the day but they just had her coming through walls in the film. No. That wasn't her. Despite what the credits say lol

That was her and The Last Stand is the best X Men film to date!

Post #: 52
RE: X-Men: First Class - 14/4/2012 8:58:16 PM   
The REAL Bozz

I do rate X-Men Last Stand. So I agree with ya on that. As for that gal with the purple hair....whoshe?

Films I've watched
Iron Man 3 *****
Evil Dead (2013) ***
Bait 3D ***

Post #: 53
RE: X-Men: First Class - 15/4/2012 9:34:14 AM   
Nexus Wookie

I quite enjoyed First Class to be honest, its way better than X-Men: The Last Stank, and ten times better than Wolverine!

Also, Emma Frost (January Jones) looked HOT (or is it cold?) in that sexy get up!

My blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

Post #: 54
RE: X-Men: First Class - 15/4/2012 11:28:59 AM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nexus Wookie

I quite enjoyed First Class to be honest, its way better than X-Men: The Last Stank, and ten times better than Wolverine!

Also, Emma Frost (January Jones) looked HOT (or is it cold?) in that sexy get up!

alot of things are better than Wolverine to be fair.
Still need to see this X-Men film.

< Message edited by OPEN YOUR EYES -- 15/4/2012 11:35:10 AM >

(in reply to Nexus Wookie)
Post #: 55
RE: X-Men: First Class - 15/4/2012 11:34:56 AM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

I must be nuts but Wolverine is one of my favourite X-Men movies (along with this one) it's just so daft and ridiculous its a total guilty pleasure for me

(in reply to OPEN YOUR EYES)
Post #: 56
RE: X-Men: First Class - 15/4/2012 11:45:09 AM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

quote:

ORIGINAL: DONOVAN KURTWOOD

I must be nuts but Wolverine is one of my favourite X-Men movies (along with this one) it's just so daft and ridiculous its a total guilty pleasure for me

I personally found The Wolverine Origin film to be all over the place.
Very little weight in the story,with the films emphasis mainly based on fights,more fights and explosions which I think is dumbing down the character of Logan/Wolverine to the point of boredom.
The acting was ok to be fair and I did think Liev Schreiber made a good Sabretooth.

But everything else just didnt seem to click or the subject was created very half-arsed/naively.

Post #: 57
RE: X-Men: First Class - 15/4/2012 11:46:33 AM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

well like i said i dont think it's a genuinely good movie, i like it because its so daft

(in reply to OPEN YOUR EYES)
Post #: 58
RE: X-Men: First Class - 15/4/2012 11:56:57 AM   
Nexus Wookie

quote:

ORIGINAL: DONOVAN KURTWOOD

Better than X-Men 2? Seriously?

I do agree, it is a guilty pleasure of sorts, or else I wouldn't have it in my film library, but compared to X-Men 2 its utter shite! Did you see the fake claw in the bathroom scene? I had high hopes for this film when I heard Gavin Hood would be attached to it. But I was sorely disappointed with the outcome. Wolverine's scenes with 'Mr and Mrs Kent' is embarrasing - so is their death scenes. I could go on - but I agree, there are still enjoyments to be had. I loved Dominic Monaghan's character - his role was too short in my opinion. He cut a sad and forlorn figure and I would loved to have seen more of him.

But Ryan Reynolds just takes the fucking biscuit!

A good film to watch to pass time, but nowhere near as good as X-Men 2 - which in my books is a comic book masterpiece!

My blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

Post #: 59
RE: X-Men: First Class - 15/4/2012 12:11:00 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

well i dont really like X-Men 2 to be honest, apart from a few choice action moments (in particular the opening), so its not hard for me to enjoy Wolverine much more. I personally find bryan singers movies to be really dull. I prefer X3 to the first two also. IMO:

1. X-Men first Class
2. Wolverine
3. X-Men Last Stand
4. X-men 2
5. X-Men

(in reply to Nexus Wookie)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> RE: X-Men: First Class Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI