Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Shapiro's list of films that should have been MFTV

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> Shapiro's list of films that should have been MFTV Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Shapiro's list of films that should have been MFTV - 27/1/2012 7:32:16 PM   
CabrioDeb

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/evan-shapiro/15-film-festival-darlings_b_1233766.html?view=screen
I've never read Evan Shapiro before, but I loved this article - 15 Film Festival Darlings That Would HAve Been Better as TV Series - because he wrote.....TRUTH!
His comments on the individual films were pretty much spot on (for those I had seen - about 50%, actually). But what I really liked was the Talent content of quality actors in the movies like Sam Rockwell, Catherine Keener, Amanda Peet, Diane Weist, Marisa Tomei, Jeff Daniels and even Steve Coogan. It is truth such as has rarely (and certainly not regularly) been represented by the Oscars or even, to some extent, the Baftas. Actors who rarely take the safe or popular option and who don't necessarily cash in on their looks. Kieran Culkin - quality!
One of the reasons I am a loyal Empire subscriber is that your reviews almost always separate the quality from the appeal, though you address both. And one of the reasons I follow the Empire Awards is that real talent gets to shine, not just on the Red Carpet! Your picture features do tend toward the impossibly beautiful, but I can forgive that.
I'd love to get the Empire take on this POV.
Post #: 1
RE: Shapiro's list of films that should have been MFTV - 27/1/2012 8:00:50 PM   
elab49

I'm not sure some of them are well thought through , e.g., some stories seem quite limited and not suitable for extending say, Donnie Darko or Moon, to series? Not sure how that would work. I'm pretty sure Like Crazy has been done a couple of times anyway - NY:LON etc. Squid and the Whale - maybeish. I'd worry again that the skill in deciding the story we saw would be diluted, though.

Although the thing I'm most shocked at - someone actually rated the dreadful Hamlet 2 sufficient to call it a 'festival darling'? That's quite, um. odd.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to CabrioDeb)
Post #: 2
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> Shapiro's list of films that should have been MFTV Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI