Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: No interest in the London Olympics

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Off Topic >> Mammoth Threads >> RE: No interest in the London Olympics Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: No interest in the London Olympics - 3/6/2012 4:51:55 PM   
Funkyrae

McDonalds being an official partner of the olympics? Isn't that a bit like smoking being the official medicine to cancer?

That's me that is!

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 91
RE: No interest in the London Olympics - 3/6/2012 5:01:28 PM   
Toby Monroe

I see what you're saying, but I'm gonna say no.

Fit or Fugly score: 3/10

(in reply to Funkyrae)
Post #: 92
RE: No interest in the London Olympics - 3/6/2012 5:02:52 PM   
Hood_Man

quote:

ORIGINAL: Funkyrae

McDonalds being an official partner of the olympics? Isn't that a bit like smoking being the official medicine to cancer?

But... but... but... McDonalds sell fruit now! FRUIT!

(in reply to Funkyrae)
Post #: 93
RE: No interest in the London Olympics - 11/7/2012 11:40:40 AM   
adambatman82

An amazing story is brewing, so I thought I'd give this thread a boost.

Chipgate - http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/tomchiversscience/100170114/london-2012-olympics-mcdonalds-is-watching-you-and-your-chips/

I was quite optimistic about the games earlier in this thread, but I take a lot of that back, having gotten caught up in the whole commercial exercise myself. We had tickets for something there in early August, but decided to cancel after realising that we were being ripped off at every step of attempting to book anything. The train companies aren't running concessionary fares, and hotels were ludicrously overpriced. Even the national express was charging 50+ each way, which is a bit more than the usual 6 it costs me to get to london (I've never normally booked so far in advance either). I just found the whole thing more than a little disheartening.

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 94
RE: No interest in the London Olympics - 11/7/2012 12:14:52 PM   
Skiba

quote:

ORIGINAL: adambatman82

Chipgate - http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/tomchiversscience/100170114/london-2012-olympics-mcdonalds-is-watching-you-and-your-chips/

I was quite optimistic about the games earlier in this thread, but I take a lot of that back, having gotten caught up in the whole commercial exercise myself. We had tickets for something there in early August, but decided to cancel after realising that we were being ripped off at every step of attempting to book anything. The train companies aren't running concessionary fares, and hotels were ludicrously overpriced. Even the national express was charging 50+ each way, which is a bit more than the usual 6 it costs me to get to london (I've never normally booked so far in advance either). I just found the whole thing more than a little disheartening.

I heard about that before. No chips on their own anywhere because the Golden Arches have to be the official 'chip' seller. Not sure how something that's not made from real spuds can be classed as a chip.

You can only buy Heineken beer around the park's radius which will cost 4.40...for a 330ml bottle! Now, I can expect a pint costing that in London (that's the price in my local for a Peroni), but a fucking bottle?

Have a good time, all the time.

(in reply to adambatman82)
Post #: 95
RE: No interest in the London Olympics - 11/7/2012 12:33:50 PM   
Harry Tuttle

quote:

ORIGINAL: Skiba

quote:

I heard about that before. No chips on their own anywhere because the Golden Arches have to be the official 'chip' seller. Not sure how something that's not made from real spuds can be classed as a chip.

You can only buy Heineken beer around the park's radius which will cost 4.40...for a 330ml bottle! Now, I can expect a pint costing that in London (that's the price in my local for a Peroni), but a fucking bottle?

And a bottle of Heineken at that.

Truly vile stuff.

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Blood Island. So called because it's the exact shape of some blood

(in reply to Skiba)
Post #: 96
RE: No interest in the London Olympics - 11/7/2012 12:44:33 PM   
Chief

quote:

Why only chips? I'd say McD's are better known for burgers no?

(in reply to adambatman82)
Post #: 97
RE: No interest in the London Olympics - 16/7/2012 3:17:05 PM   
elab49

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2012/jul/16/london-2012-bus-lost-olympic-village

Do you remember the first series of Twenty Twelve (before many switched off) when their bus gets lost on the way to the Olympic Park?

Stunningly accurate it turns out

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to Chief)
Post #: 98
RE: No interest in the London Olympics - 16/7/2012 3:35:27 PM   
superdan

Oh God it's all going to be a completely humiliating disaster isn't it?

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 99
RE: No interest in the London Olympics - 16/7/2012 3:39:56 PM   
MonsterCat

quote:

ORIGINAL: Harry Tuttle

And a bottle of Heineken at that.

Truly vile stuff.

Fuck that shit!

PABST BLUE RIBBON!

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to Harry Tuttle)
Post #: 100
RE: No interest in the London Olympics - 17/7/2012 1:23:44 AM   
elab49

Looking at the TV planner for the Beeb - so BBC 1 and 3 are complete write-offs during the Olympics (dawn to dusk) with chunks of BBC 2 gone as well.

Don't they have any responsibility to people not watching the sport?

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 101
RE: No interest in the London Olympics - 17/7/2012 1:26:15 AM   
Shifty Bench

They're supposed to have but I think their reasoning is- 'everyone loves the Olympics, if you don't- tough!'

Extended Edition Podcast- Episode 46:Threads Of Destiny (Star Wars Fan Film)

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 102
RE: No interest in the London Olympics - 17/7/2012 1:28:35 AM   
elab49

It does look very like that. I was only looking to see if a programme I'd seen a tiny teaser for was on soon and it was just wall to wall Olympics.

Now it's all digitial, you'd think there was more remit for red button stuff like they do with festivals.

quote:

(in reply to Shifty Bench)
Post #: 103
RE: No interest in the London Olympics - 17/7/2012 1:33:02 AM   
Hood_Man

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
Looking at the TV planner for the Beeb - so BBC 1 and 3 are complete write-offs during the Olympics (dawn to dusk) with chunks of BBC 2 gone as well.

Yippee!

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 104
RE: No interest in the London Olympics - 17/7/2012 1:36:55 AM   
Skiba

quote:

It does look very like that. I was only looking to see if a programme I'd seen a tiny teaser for was on soon and it was just wall to wall Olympics.

Now it's all digitial, you'd think there was more remit for red button stuff like they do with festivals.

I'm sure there'll be plenty of that too, as there's bound to be the 25m pistol shooting clashing with dressage...decisions, decisions!

< Message edited by Skiba -- 17/7/2012 1:37:19 AM >

Have a good time, all the time.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 105
RE: No interest in the London Olympics - 17/7/2012 1:38:50 AM   
Shifty Bench

quote:

They may still do that, don't some events overlap? Or maybe that is why both BBC 1 and Three are showing it. If they are showing the exact same, that is pretty pointless and a waste of airtime.

EDIT: On Wed 25th BBC 3 are showing a football game that BBC 1 aren't (they have normal shows) and on Thurs 26th they are not showing anything Olympics while BBC 1 are.....

< Message edited by Shifty Bench -- 17/7/2012 1:43:52 AM >

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 106
RE: No interest in the London Olympics - 17/7/2012 4:56:58 PM   
elab49

Looks like it's not just withdrawing 500K unsold football tickets from sale - as well as closing various parts of some of the stadia they are also handing out tons of complimentary tickets to various organsiations in the cities where the games will be played. I've just had e-mails from two sources offering a ballot - they kind of put in bids and get a percentage but this time they seem to have had extra tickets stuffed in their pockets to try and get bums on seats. 

quote:

Post #: 107
RE: No interest in the London Olympics - 17/7/2012 5:13:11 PM   
Hobbitonlass

I thought with the BBC launching 48 new channels (24 SD and 24 HD) purely for Olympics they would leave BBC1,2 and 3 alone.  Guess not then.....

Come join in the Photo competition http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3116407&mpage=1&key=

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 108
RE: No interest in the London Olympics - 17/7/2012 5:14:44 PM   
Hood_Man

If you get any unwanted tennis tickets I'd be happy to take them off your hands...

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 109
RE: No interest in the London Olympics - 17/7/2012 5:45:30 PM   
Spaldron

The coverage is a joke and its going to get worse, there's going to be literally no channels not showing one of the games. You would think they would just used the red button feature and all those Sky channels. Anyways, bollocks to tv, I'm just going to have to spend the next two weeks watching tons on blu-rays.

And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts
And I looked and behold, a pale horse
And his name that sat on him was Death
And Hell followed with him.

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 110
RE: No interest in the London Olympics - 17/7/2012 8:34:25 PM   
Shifty Bench

We had a staff meeting tonight and everyone moaned that we are just not shifting the Olympic stuff in a small town in Scotland......

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 111
RE: No interest in the London Olympics - 17/7/2012 8:50:50 PM   
Hood_Man

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shifty Bench

We had a staff meeting tonight and everyone moaned that we are just not shifting the Olympic stuff in a small town in Scotland......

Fry all of it in batter.

Post #: 112
RE: No interest in the London Olympics - 17/7/2012 8:56:36 PM   
Shifty Bench

Ugh.

Nice stereoytpical sarcastic remark, though

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 113
RE: No interest in the London Olympics - 17/7/2012 9:13:32 PM   
Sway

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hood_Man

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shifty Bench

Fry all of it in batter.

Well that made me laugh.

"I am not in danger, Skyler. I AM the danger! A guy opens his door and gets shot and you think that of me? No. I am the one who knocks!"

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 114
RE: No interest in the London Olympics - 17/7/2012 9:15:14 PM   
Shifty Bench

It made me laugh too, I just hate battered food

(in reply to Sway)
Post #: 115
RE: No interest in the London Olympics - 18/7/2012 12:57:50 AM   
NinjaShortbread212

quote:

ORIGINAL: Spaldron

The coverage is a joke and its going to get worse, there's going to be literally no channels not showing one of the games. You would think they would just used the red button feature and all those Sky channels. Anyways, bollocks to tv, I'm just going to have to spend the next two weeks watching tons on blu-rays.

I'm in!

Art

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 116
RE: No interest in the London Olympics - 18/7/2012 1:04:10 AM   
Shifty Bench

I don't watch TV anyway.

So, nothing will be different for me. Except not being able to watch Pointless on iPlayer but they are repeats on just now anyway.

(in reply to NinjaShortbread212)
Post #: 117
RE: No interest in the London Olympics - 18/7/2012 1:16:47 AM   
Spaldron

quote:

ORIGINAL: NinjaShortbread212

quote:

I'm in!

Yes

And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts
And I looked and behold, a pale horse
And his name that sat on him was Death
And Hell followed with him.

(in reply to NinjaShortbread212)
Post #: 118
RE: No interest in the London Olympics - 18/7/2012 1:17:42 AM   
Rhubarb

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: NinjaShortbread212

quote:

I'm in!

Yes

Wait wait wait, do you guys know each other or something?

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

ORIGINAL: FritzlFan

You organisational skills sicken me, Rhubarb.

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 119
RE: No interest in the London Olympics - 18/7/2012 2:00:33 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hobbitonlass

I thought with the BBC launching 48 new channels (24 SD and 24 HD) purely for Olympics they would leave BBC1,2 and 3 alone. Guess not then.....

Good for the people who can't get those 48 channels!

I go out of my way to avoid sport but the Olympics coverage doesn't bother me at all.

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

(in reply to Hobbitonlass)
Post #: 120
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Off Topic >> Mammoth Threads >> RE: No interest in the London Olympics Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI