Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: No interest in the London Olympics

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Off Topic >> Mammoth Threads >> RE: No interest in the London Olympics Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: No interest in the London Olympics - 29/5/2012 1:33:04 PM   
elab49

Wrt to the opening ceremony I can only say one thing - the staging of Boyle's Frankenstein was absolutely stunning. Knocked the flash of Beijing type stuff into touch.

If it's anything akin to that - and he's using Underworld again for the ceremony - it might be genuinely astonishing.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to kumar)
Post #: 61
RE: No interest in the London Olympics - 29/5/2012 2:00:26 PM   
Professor Moriarty

quote:

ORIGINAL: Arron_

I'm just fed up of seeing Union Jacks everywhere I look.

Lot of boats out are there

I can see both points of view. Firstly, how much was the budget out by. I think a factor of 10. Which is just ridiculous. Original budget of the Athens Games, 1.6Billion. Final cost 16Billion. Ring a bell? Okay, Athens were amazingly stupid in the way they treated sponsorship of the games, but still.

On the other hand is the biggest benefit of the Olympics; a feel good factor. And unfortunately you can only get this if people buy into the whole concept and aren't running for the hills.

As I'm not paying for it, I really don't care one way or the other. But if I were I'm not sure I'd see this as value for money and the most worrying concept of all for me is that putting on a large sporting show somehow is given to government bodies, who I just really don't think are set up to do this.

(in reply to Arron_)
Post #: 62
RE: No interest in the London Olympics - 29/5/2012 3:33:27 PM   
Spaldron

quote:

ORIGINAL: Professor Moriarty

On the other hand is the biggest benefit of the Olympics; a feel good factor. And unfortunately you can only get this if people buy into the whole concept and aren't running for the hills.

No the biggest beneficiary of the Olympics will be Coca-Cola, McDonalds, Nike etc,etc.....

Non-Londoners (i,e, most of the country) will get absolutely nothing out of this except a bigger debt to pay back than everyone else.

And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts
And I looked and behold, a pale horse
And his name that sat on him was Death
And Hell followed with him.

(in reply to Professor Moriarty)
Post #: 63
RE: No interest in the London Olympics - 29/5/2012 3:38:02 PM   
Rhubarb

Nah some people outside of London will still enjoy the Games, and feel more connected to them than when they were in Bejing or Athens.

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

ORIGINAL: FritzlFan

You organisational skills sicken me, Rhubarb.

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 64
RE: No interest in the London Olympics - 29/5/2012 3:39:08 PM   
SWOTBM

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hobbitonlass

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

The example they have was one station that currently has about 1/4 million through it (I think per day, I hope not rush hour!) - to which minimum another 100k should be added so they were looking at waiting at least an extra half hour. Not fun. 

If it's Victoria then 1/4 million at rush hour wouldn't surprise me!

I work in Victoria on a Monday and yesterday morning waiting to get on the Victoria line at Green Park an announcement was made that the trains on the Victoria line would not be stopping at Victoria due to over crowding. Victoria station shuts regularly in rush hour to try to ease over crowding (irate commuters standing at the gates waiting to be let in is not a pretty sight) and this is now, let alone during the Olympics. I won't be working in Victoria on a Monday during that time but will work from my main base.

This is gonna sound really selfish, but my exams are smack bang in the middle of the Olympics and I have nightmares about train cancellations or tube overcrowding which leads to me being late/missing my exam If they could reschedule the Olympics for a couple of weeks later that would be grand

PSN: light_brigade
Gamertag: chauders

(in reply to Hobbitonlass)
Post #: 65
RE: No interest in the London Olympics - 29/5/2012 3:43:23 PM   
horribleives

quote:

ORIGINAL: Spaldron

quote:

No the biggest beneficiary of the Olympics will be Coca-Cola, McDonalds, Nike etc,etc.....

Non-Londoners (i,e, most of the country) will get absolutely nothing out of this except a bigger debt to pay back than everyone else.

Well, not quite - there's football matches on in Newcastle, Manchester, Coventry, Cardiff and Glasgow. And when I say football I also mean women's football. Mmm.

www.hollywoodunbound.co.uk - some nonsense about alien film directors and musclebound man-children.

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 66
RE: No interest in the London Olympics - 29/5/2012 3:55:14 PM   
Professor Moriarty

quote:

quote:

Any idea how big their sponsorship deals are and where the money goes? Are they part (5%, 20%, 50%?) funding the games or what? I find this really murky. All I hear is protecting the taxpayer by protecting the IP (?!) so Mrs Miggins who runs a single pie shop in Rotherham can't sell an Olympic pie with 5 rings on it as she's not a billion dollar turnover multinational organisation, but I never understand how much of the burden is taken up by their contributions.

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 67
RE: No interest in the London Olympics - 29/5/2012 3:58:14 PM   
Rhubarb

I find the lack of British sponsers for the games quite puzzling actually. I appriciate Coca-Cola will probably front the most money, but it'd be more fun to have an Irn-Bru sponsored olympics surely.

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

Post #: 68
RE: No interest in the London Olympics - 29/5/2012 4:11:18 PM   
Spaldron

quote:

quote:

quote:

Any idea how big their sponsorship deals are and where the money goes? Are they part (5%, 20%, 50%?) funding the games or what? I find this really murky. All I hear is protecting the taxpayer by protecting the IP (?!) so Mrs Miggins who runs a single pie shop in Rotherham can't sell an Olympic pie with 5 rings on it as she's not a billion dollar turnover multinational organisation, but I never understand how much of the burden is taken up by their contributions.

Apparently no-one anywhere near the venues (basically half of London) is allowed to eat-drink-use anything other than the sponsored products. You cant enter the Olympic village with any home-made sandwiches for example, you have to buy a McDonalds meal in there. The pubs nearby aren't allowed to sell anything other than official Olympic sponsored beverages (Budweiser etc..)

This is a good read.

Post #: 69
RE: No interest in the London Olympics - 29/5/2012 4:18:28 PM   
Professor Moriarty

Thanks for the link, I'll take a read. Apologies if this is in the article and I don't know until I read it.

I guess my observation is that we know when sponsorship is fucked up it nearly bankrupts the countries holding the Games (Canada and Greece).

So, let us say that distasteful as it may be (and that is a double-edged dig at the double arches) only Maccy Ds increasing child obesity and diabetes can officially sell Olympic food. Then how much of the Olympics are they and the other official sponsors paying for. I've just never heard this explained.

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 70
RE: No interest in the London Olympics - 29/5/2012 6:44:26 PM   
adambatman82

quote:

Apparently no-one anywhere near the venues (basically half of London) is allowed to eat-drink-use anything other than the sponsored products. You cant enter the Olympic village with any home-made sandwiches for example, you have to buy a McDonalds meal in there. The pubs nearby aren't allowed to sell anything other than official Olympic sponsored beverages (Budweiser etc..)

I find this quite hard to believe. So are you saying that, say, a Wetherspoons around the corner from one of the stadiums has to stop selling any non-olympic related drinks? Or that none-McDonalds takeaways have to close for the duration of the games? I would have thought that most Olympians are on very strict diets, probably prepared by experts to the very last detail, are you saying that while they're living inside the Olympic village they'll be force fed hamburgers and chicken nuggets instead?

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 71
RE: No interest in the London Olympics - 29/5/2012 6:55:52 PM   
adambatman82

quote:

Then how much of the Olympics are they and the other official sponsors paying for. I've just never heard this explained.

Sponsors are responsible for 40% of the budget for the games. Interestingly branding ubiquity might not be as problematic as some of us seem to think -

http://olympictalk.com/news/can-you-name-any-olympics-sponsors-2012

I'm not a sports-fan, but am actually really looking forward to the games. Our city tends to go all-out in the summer anyway: we have a number of existing festivals and fairs and things like that, and one of the main public spaces is transformed in to an urban beach thing, so the addition of an Olympics will only serve to stoke the atmosphere further. It'll be a fun couple of weeks.

Post #: 72
RE: No interest in the London Olympics - 29/5/2012 7:05:51 PM   
Rhubarb

quote:

ORIGINAL: adambatman82
I would have thought that most Olympians are on very strict diets, probably prepared by experts to the very last detail, are you saying that while they're living inside the Olympic village they'll be force fed hamburgers and chicken nuggets instead?

Works for Bolt

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

(in reply to adambatman82)
Post #: 73
RE: No interest in the London Olympics - 29/5/2012 7:08:52 PM   
UTB

quote:

ORIGINAL: kumar

Plus, the 100m has Usain Bolt- so does the 200m in which he whups pretty much the same contestants!

Great! Where's my wallet?

(in reply to kumar)
Post #: 74
RE: No interest in the London Olympics - 29/5/2012 7:25:16 PM   
steffols

Regarding Spaldron saying about not allowing non-sponsor products into the Olympic village. That cannot be true. What about people with special diets like my friend who has a gluten allergy and can't eat anything without checking it first and probably can't eat anything on McDonald's menu or any other fast food chains menu. I find it very hard to believe this is the rule.

EDIT: My best friends little brother is also gluten intolerant, are they going to make him eat sponsor only food? And he's competing in the Olympics. Do you have any evidence of this?

< Message edited by steffols -- 29/5/2012 7:28:56 PM >

It's midnight in Manhattan, this is no time to get cute, it's a mad dog's promenade,
So walk tall, or baby don't walk at all.

(in reply to UTB)
Post #: 75
RE: No interest in the London Olympics - 29/5/2012 7:27:24 PM   
Rhubarb

It wouldn't surprise me if stadiums said you couldn't take sandwhiches in, that would be the same in most stadiums these days, but I also would be genuinely surprised if surrounding areas weren't allowed to serve non-Coke-non-McD's products.

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

(in reply to steffols)
Post #: 76
RE: No interest in the London Olympics - 29/5/2012 7:33:00 PM   
steffols

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rhubarb

It wouldn't surprise me if stadiums said you couldn't take sandwhiches in, that would be the same in most stadiums these days, but I also would be genuinely surprised if surrounding areas weren't allowed to serve non-Coke-non-McD's products.

I honestly cannot see how they could be allowed to ban you from taking your own food into a stadium taking into consideration some peoples needs for a special diet. I know they have taken bottles of water off me at the gates to T In The Park but thats only because they want you to buy water inside, clearly.

It's midnight in Manhattan, this is no time to get cute, it's a mad dog's promenade,

(in reply to Rhubarb)
Post #: 77
RE: No interest in the London Olympics - 29/5/2012 7:42:41 PM   
Rhubarb

I've no idea what the legality of this sort of thing is, but the principle is the same as somewhere like T, they just want you to buy inside, its like when you go to the cinema and they don't want you walking in with a bag of sweets you bought from the co-op.

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

(in reply to steffols)
Post #: 78
RE: No interest in the London Olympics - 29/5/2012 7:47:16 PM   
steffols

quote:

I've no idea what the legality of this sort of thing is, but the principle is the same as somewhere like T, they just want you to buy inside, its like when you go to the cinema and they don't want you walking in with a bag of sweets you bought from the co-op.

Bags of sweets, bottles of say Irn Bru instead of Coke, water in your bag I can see how they can forbid you from entering with purely so you will buy the same items inside for double the price but surely they cannot say to someone with a gluten intolerance 'No, you cannot bring your sandwiches/previously made meal inside the stadium', someone who will most likely be spending a large portion of the day inside the village and who will need to eat something eventually.

Also yeah, I'm a bit iffy about the selling sponsor only alcohol in the pubs nearby, I can't see the breweries going for that one.

(in reply to Rhubarb)
Post #: 79
RE: No interest in the London Olympics - 29/5/2012 8:20:12 PM   
adambatman82

quote:

ORIGINAL: steffols

quote:

Bags of sweets, bottles of say Irn Bru instead of Coke, water in your bag I can see how they can forbid you from entering with purely so you will buy the same items inside for double the price but surely they cannot say to someone with a gluten intolerance 'No, you cannot bring your sandwiches/previously made meal inside the stadium', someone who will most likely be spending a large portion of the day inside the village and who will need to eat something eventually.

Also yeah, I'm a bit iffy about the selling sponsor only alcohol in the pubs nearby, I can't see the breweries going for that one.

I can see the stadium ban being realistic, as Rhubarb says its common place at most big events anyway (there'll be exceptions for people with allergies too btw, I would have thought), but the Olympic Village is a massive space with several thousand apartments and living spaces, that people will be staying in for weeks. There's no way they can police what people are eating in there.

Besides as suspected, its not actually true anyway -

From the article linked below. The LOCOG Chairman is Coe btw. "Speaking at the Global Sports Forum in Barcelona, the Locog chairman said the "libertarian" in him believes people, include athletes, should be free to choose what they eat, and that there would be a wide range of other foods available."

http://www.marketingmagazine.co.uk/news/1121591/Lord-Coe-defends-worlds-biggest-McDonalds-Olympic-Village/

(in reply to steffols)
Post #: 80
RE: No interest in the London Olympics - 29/5/2012 8:21:35 PM   
Rhubarb

The world's biggest McDonalds? That's quite impressive.

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

Post #: 81
RE: No interest in the London Olympics - 29/5/2012 8:24:21 PM   
kumar

quote:

quote:

quote:

ottles of say Irn Bru instead of Coke, water in your bag I can see how they can forbid you from entering with purely so you will buy the same items inside for double the price but surely they cannot say to someone with a gluten intole

This never occurred to me but im sure this is the case at headingly cricket ground. They search all bags and i think i remember it was a no food no drink policy.

"Darth Silas - I love Craig as Bond too. Genius. "- Jackmansgirl 15/7/2008

Last films watched:

The Road - 4/5
Chronicle - 4/5
Twilight Breaking Dawn p1 - 1/5
Warrior - 5/5
Super 8 - 5/5
Paranormal Activity 3 - 3/5
MI 4 - 2/5

(in reply to steffols)
Post #: 82
RE: No interest in the London Olympics - 30/5/2012 1:01:56 AM   
Spaldron

Did anyone see Channel 4 news where they exposed the pathetic lack of disabled access on public transport to the Olympic venues? This is despite the millions supposedly spent on upgrading transport networks for the games and the small matter of the Paralympics after.

(in reply to kumar)
Post #: 83
RE: No interest in the London Olympics - 30/5/2012 9:42:02 AM   
steffols

The current massive refurbishment project on the Underground is going to cause major problems if it isn't sorted. I know Bank gets incredibly busy in the morning (I was very nearly pushed onto the track one morning on my way to work when I was working in London) and it's been just a building site for as long as I've known it.

What transport links were they talking about Spald? I know that there are some Underground stations with disabled access but nowhere near as many as there probably should and I've used the bus up London a few times but they all look pretty wheelchair friendly.

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 84
RE: No interest in the London Olympics - 30/5/2012 10:42:44 AM   
hozay

quote:

Do people show this much apathy and hatred towards the Olympics when its in other countries? I'm really interested to know if people who are not interested have always been not interested or if they just enjoy a moan.

I've always highly enjoyed the Olympics, I enjoy the coverage, the opening and closing ceremonies, but mostly I enjoy the fact that for two weeks me and my dad become experts on sports like shooting, sailing and weightlifting.

I remember there being a lot of excitement in Sydney in the lead up to the games there. Volunteer figures were up around 50,000 too with people acting as guides and other volunteer activities.
We were lucky there weren't many road or transport disruptions as most of the Olympic sites were purpose built and in sensible places with plenty of public transport.
The only complaints I remember was a bit of a fuss over both ticket availability (some raffles involved) and only being able to purchase tickets with Visa Cards.
I also remember a bit of moaning afterward that the NSW economy didn't get the boost it was expecting (retail, tourism, investment etc). They did get some great new sporting facilities out of it though.
There may have been other issues but I really didn't notice that much, too busy watching the sport and checking the medal tally.

(in reply to steffols)
Post #: 85
RE: No interest in the London Olympics - 30/5/2012 11:23:06 AM   
adambatman82

quote:

Do people show this much apathy and hatred towards the Olympics when its in other countries? I'm really interested to know if people who are not interested have always been not interested or if they just enjoy a moan.

I think its the latter to be honest. I venture on to my local community forums occasionally: I've never posted there or anything, but they're good for a browse to see what local events are coming up and whatnot, and the vitriol over there is staggering (about everything, not just the olympics). I think a lot of it has to do with the manner in which its taxpayers money being spent, so we automatically assume the right to object, which is fine, if not a little joyless. Don't get me wrong, politically this event has spiralled in to a bit of a nightmare, but I personally can't really get on board with the whole chip-on-shoulder, angry thing.

< Message edited by adambatman82 -- 30/5/2012 11:24:01 AM >

(in reply to hozay)
Post #: 86
RE: No interest in the London Olympics - 30/5/2012 12:57:22 PM   
great_badir

RE the food thing - having seen the bumph sent out with some tickets (a few people I work with have managed to get some), according to that NO food at all is allowed inside the olympic stadium (people will have to purchase from the "food court" and eat it outside the stadium, like smokers gathering outside a pub) and only food purchased inside the olympic village is allowed in the olympic village. It further seems to suggest (although it is quite cryptic and open to interpetation) that the only food and drink sold within the olympic village will be olympic sponsored stuff. Quite how that will be managed and policed, I have no idea.

I personally have no interest in the olympics whatsoever - not a sport person at all.

FAVE FILMS
BO BOMBS

Post #: 87
RE: No interest in the London Olympics - 30/5/2012 1:34:25 PM   
steffols

Ok, found this article from October which is answering a lot of questions for me at the minute.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-15110730

As it was a while ago, some of the finer details have not been ironed out but it does say that someone going into the Village with a backpack with some sandwiches will not be a problem but people coming in with picnic hampers and coolboxes full of food and drink will not be permitted.

It also says you are allowed liquids in 100ml bottles much like at airport security, sunscreen will be allowed but they do not know what size.

This, I think, all refers to the Village not the stadiums where further restrictions probably apply. Different restrictions are set on Lords Cricket Ground and Wimbledon where they have their own restrictions.

(in reply to great_badir)
Post #: 88
RE: No interest in the London Olympics - 30/5/2012 4:27:04 PM   
donethinking

fuck the olympics, the diamond jubilee, deal or no deal, footballers, adverts, footballers who appear in adverts, TV, the monarchy
and loads of other stuff too probably

(in reply to steffols)
Post #: 89
RE: No interest in the London Olympics - 1/6/2012 2:35:00 PM   
sharkboy

quote:

Ok, found this article from October which is answering a lot of questions for me at the minute.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-15110730

As it was a while ago, some of the finer details have not been ironed out but it does say that someone going into the Village with a backpack with some sandwiches will not be a problem but people coming in with picnic hampers and coolboxes full of food and drink will not be permitted.

It also says you are allowed liquids in 100ml bottles much like at airport security, sunscreen will be allowed but they do not know what size.

This, I think, all refers to the Village not the stadiums where further restrictions probably apply. Different restrictions are set on Lords Cricket Ground and Wimbledon where they have their own restrictions.

I'd wager that the restrictions are set by sponsors, not security.  What better way to ensure your product gets sold after all?  In a related note, this story (clicky) annoyed the hell out of me today.  Bad enough that you are forced to buy the sponsor's food and drink throughout some sort of Olympic exclusion zone around the venues, without being forced to use their ATMs to get the money out with which to buy it.  "American Express?  That won't do at all sir!" Anyone want to wager it'll be the "Coca Cola 100m Mens Final" before we get to 2020?

WWLD?

Every time we think we have measured our capacity to meet a challenge, we look up and we're reminded that that capacity may well be limitless

I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit.

(in reply to steffols)
Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Off Topic >> Mammoth Threads >> RE: No interest in the London Olympics Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI