Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: No interest in the London Olympics

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Off Topic >> Mammoth Threads >> RE: No interest in the London Olympics Page: <<   < prev  16 17 18 19 [20]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: No interest in the London Olympics - 6/8/2012 7:28:16 PM   
Shifty Bench

quote:

ORIGINAL: sanchia

I see Morrissey is seeking to maintain his Dick of the year award this year as he has for the past ten years or so.

quote:

Singer Morrissey has slammed the coverage of the London 2012 Olympics for its "blustering jingoism" - and likened the "foul patriotism" to the Germany of the Nazis.
In a statement posted on True To You - an online Morrissey fanzine - the former frontman of The Smiths outlined his distaste for the media attention given to the royal family and the sense of British spirit.

What a charmer.

(although admittedly he had one or two good points mixed in there just hidden under the twat speak)

So, is he saying we should all be miserable sods like him then? I think the national pride in the Olympics and i particular how Team GB is performing, is brilliant.

Also, did Morrissey just basically call us all Nazis?

EDIT: I read the full story and he does have a point about the Royals and reading it in context, it is a bit different. I still think he's a miserable sod though and I am still proud of Team GB's performance.

< Message edited by Shifty Bench -- 6/8/2012 7:32:13 PM >

Extended Edition Podcast- Episode 46:Threads Of Destiny (Star Wars Fan Film)

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 571
RE: No interest in the London Olympics - 6/8/2012 7:31:02 PM   
sanchia

quote:

I am unable to watch the Olympics due to the blustering jingoism that drenches the event. Has England ever been quite so foul with patriotism?
"The 'dazzling royals' have, quite naturally, hijacked the Olympics for their own empirical needs, and no oppositional voice is allowed in the free press. It is lethal to witness.
"As London is suddenly promoted as a super-wealth brand, the England outside London shivers beneath cutbacks, tight circumstances and economic disasters.
"Meanwhile, the British media present 24-hour coverage of the 'dazzling royals', laughing as they lavishly spend, as if such coverage is certain to make British society feel fully whole."
He added: "s I recently drove through Greece I noticed repeated graffiti seemingly everywhere on every available wall. In large blue letters it said: 'WAKE UP WAKE UP'.
"It could almost have been written with the British public in mind, because although the spirit of 1939 Germany now pervades throughout media-brand Britain, the 2013 grotesque inevitability of Lord and Lady Beckham (with Sir Jamie Horrible close at heel) is, believe me, a fate worse than life."

A couple of good points but he has obviously has no idea of history if he believe this is the most patriotic Britain has ever been.

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to Shifty Bench)
Post #: 572
RE: No interest in the London Olympics - 6/8/2012 7:33:32 PM   
horribleives

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shifty Bench

quote:

I see Morrissey is seeking to maintain his Dick of the year award this year as he has for the past ten years or so.

quote:

Singer Morrissey has slammed the coverage of the London 2012 Olympics for its "blustering jingoism" - and likened the "foul patriotism" to the Germany of the Nazis.
In a statement posted on True To You - an online Morrissey fanzine - the former frontman of The Smiths outlined his distaste for the media attention given to the royal family and the sense of British spirit.

What a charmer.

(although admittedly he had one or two good points mixed in there just hidden under the twat speak)

So, is he saying we should all be miserable sods like him then? I think the national pride in the Olympics and i particular how Team GB is performing, is brilliant.

Also, did Morrissey just basically call us all Nazis?

Well he thinks anyone who's ever eaten a burger's a nazi so it's not too much if a stretch.
Mind, I'm with him all the way re: the royal family.

www.hollywoodunbound.co.uk - some nonsense about alien film directors and musclebound man-children.

Post #: 573
RE: No interest in the London Olympics - 6/8/2012 7:36:52 PM   
Shifty Bench

quote:

ORIGINAL: horribleives
Well he thinks anyone who's ever eaten a burger's a nazi so it's not too much if a stretch.
Mind, I'm with him all the way re: the royal family.

Yeah, I think I am too.

Also-

Extended Edition Podcast- Episode 46:Threads Of Destiny (Star Wars Fan Film)

(in reply to horribleives)
Post #: 574
RE: No interest in the London Olympics - 7/8/2012 7:13:14 AM   
sanchia

Nothing to see here.

Post #: 575
RE: No interest in the London Olympics - 7/8/2012 7:40:57 AM   
donethinking

Morrisey can go stick a bunch of flowers up his arse.

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 576
RE: No interest in the London Olympics - 7/8/2012 7:50:45 AM   
jonson

How have the Royals hijacked the Olympics? They are being staged in GB, I expect our heda of state to be there. I think The Queen's opening ceremony stunt was brilliant, I enjoyed seeing Will/Kate/Harry at the horse riding supporting their cousin. They haven't hijacked it one bit.
It seems to me that Morrisey has hijacked the Olympics himself to spout his usual shite because he's not talented enough to get his name in the paper off his own back anymore.

I've got all the Barbie ones!!!

Yeah but you're old. Really old. Old. Old. Old. Old.

(in reply to donethinking)
Post #: 577
RE: No interest in the London Olympics - 7/8/2012 8:05:14 AM   
elab49

I expect it's the fact that the younger royals have actually been at a good many events and then there was a pointlessly fawning Beeb interview in the studio.

Or it's just that he's a tit.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 578
RE: No interest in the London Olympics - 7/8/2012 1:24:03 PM   
sharkboy

quote:

quote:

I am unable to watch the Olympics due to the blustering jingoism that drenches the event. Has England ever been quite so foul with patriotism?
"The 'dazzling royals' have, quite naturally, hijacked the Olympics for their own empirical needs, and no oppositional voice is allowed in the free press. It is lethal to witness.
"As London is suddenly promoted as a super-wealth brand, the England outside London shivers beneath cutbacks, tight circumstances and economic disasters.
"Meanwhile, the British media present 24-hour coverage of the 'dazzling royals', laughing as they lavishly spend, as if such coverage is certain to make British society feel fully whole."
He added: "s I recently drove through Greece I noticed repeated graffiti seemingly everywhere on every available wall. In large blue letters it said: 'WAKE UP WAKE UP'.
"It could almost have been written with the British public in mind, because although the spirit of 1939 Germany now pervades throughout media-brand Britain, the 2013 grotesque inevitability of Lord and Lady Beckham (with Sir Jamie Horrible close at heel) is, believe me, a fate worse than life."

A couple of good points but he has obviously has no idea of history if he believe this is the most patriotic Britain has ever been.

Nor, clearly, even the remotest understanding of what life in Nazi Germany was actually like.  Musically, I'm a big fan of the guy, but as a person he is a monsterous fuckpuddle.  Any reasonable points he may have wished to make were immediately subsumed into his Godwinist gibberings. 

When people talk about what they'd do if time travel was possible, my choice would be to go to Nazi Germany.  Not to kill Hitler (I've read enough alt-history novels to suggest that this isn't necessarily a good idea!), but to drop off twats like Morrissey who compare today's society to Berlin under Hitler.  6 months later I'd go back and meet him, little pink triangle badge and all, and see if he really thinks that a little pride in your country's sporting achievements is the same as having all your possessions taken and being placed in death camps.

WWLD?

Every time we think we have measured our capacity to meet a challenge, we look up and we're reminded that that capacity may well be limitless

I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit.

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 579
RE: No interest in the London Olympics - 7/8/2012 1:39:04 PM   
great_badir

I did come in here to say that I had absolutely no interest in the Olympics at all, but I see the thread has taken a different road.

Agree that Morrisey is a twat, though.

FAVE FILMS
BO BOMBS

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 580
RE: No interest in the London Olympics - 7/8/2012 6:02:58 PM   
sanchia

I still don't care about watching the Olympics though.

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to great_badir)
Post #: 581
RE: No interest in the London Olympics - 7/8/2012 6:27:59 PM   
homersimpson_esq

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

I expect it's the fact that the younger royals have actually been at a good many events and then there was a pointlessly fawning Beeb interview in the studio.

Or it's just that he's a tit.

HOW FUCKING DARE THEY COME AND ENJOY SPORT.

THE FUCKING MONEY-SUCKING HOITY-TOITY FUCKERS.

Or something.

Am I doing gibbering republican right?

That deep-browed Homer ruled as his demesne.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 582
RE: No interest in the London Olympics - 7/8/2012 6:35:28 PM   
elab49

It's the only royal involvement I can think that he's referencing though. Unless he's objecting to someone earning their place in the GB team.

That said - they didn't have any problems getting prime seats

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

(in reply to homersimpson_esq)
Post #: 583
RE: No interest in the London Olympics - 7/8/2012 6:36:57 PM   
sanchia

He's just upset that a lot of people have no idea who he is,

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 584
RE: No interest in the London Olympics - 7/8/2012 6:38:18 PM   
homersimpson_esq

quote:

He's just upset that a lot of people have no idea who he is,

Who?

That deep-browed Homer ruled as his demesne.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 585
RE: No interest in the London Olympics - 7/8/2012 6:48:08 PM   
Skiba

Morrisey has been dining out off of Men Behaving Badly for too long

Have a good time, all the time.

(in reply to homersimpson_esq)
Post #: 586
RE: No interest in the London Olympics - 7/8/2012 7:06:35 PM   
elab49

Isn't it more that people wish they didn't know who he was and people would stop caring enough to publish whatever he's whining about now? 

quote:

(in reply to Skiba)
Post #: 587
RE: No interest in the London Olympics - 12/8/2012 11:42:39 PM   
paul_ie86

After tonight, I understand your apprehension.

My Group Project's facebook page. Please like

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 588
RE: No interest in the London Olympics - 13/8/2012 7:18:26 AM   
sanchia

I believe I saw at most an hour and a half of it.

Nothing to see here.

Post #: 589
RE: No interest in the London Olympics - 13/8/2012 7:44:03 AM   
jonson

quote:

Me too. I didn't want to miss out
I missed the opening ceremony which I was disspointed about, so thought the closing ceremony couldn't be missed. Yeah, it could. I turned off just after Annie Lennox floated around the stadium on some kind of Viking ship. In fact, that's a lie I just remembered seeing someone who looked like Liam Gallagher singing old Oasis songs in a comedy voice.

Anyway, the Olympics in all was brilliant, amazing, unbelievable and all those other words that have been used a billion times, but the closing ceremony (from the little I saw of it) was a bit, boring, dare I say?

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 590
RE: No interest in the London Olympics - 13/8/2012 9:20:57 AM   
Hobbitonlass

quote:

ORIGINAL: jonson
In fact, that's a lie I just remembered seeing someone who looked like Liam Gallagher singing old Oasis songs in a comedy voice.

That was Liam Gallagher doing a very bad impression of Liam Gallagher

quote:

Anyway, the Olympics in all was brilliant, amazing, unbelievable and all those other words that have been used a billion times, but the closing ceremony (from the little I saw of it) was a bit, boring, dare I say?

Agreed

Come join in the Photo competition http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3116407&mpage=1&key=

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 591
RE: No interest in the London Olympics - 13/8/2012 9:30:37 AM   
jonson

Good, glad it wasn't just me then. I've recorded it so will watch it later tongiht, I just couldn't be arsed to keep my eyes open any longer.

In fact, the most entertaining part was after my 2 daughters went upstairs. "One Direction are back on!" I shouted up the stairs.
In Usain Bolt type fashion, they descended the stairs 10 at a time, to find me laughing hysterically as they realised it was actually Boris Johnson dancing.
10 minutes later - "Justin Bieber is the star guest" - and again, they shot down the stairs in a more impressive time, only to be met by me saying "sorry, my mistake, it's Ray Davies from The Kinks"

(in reply to Hobbitonlass)
Post #: 592
RE: No interest in the London Olympics - 13/8/2012 9:52:09 AM   
sharkboy

No point in having children if you can't tease them mercilessly every now and again!

WWLD?

Every time we think we have measured our capacity to meet a challenge, we look up and we're reminded that that capacity may well be limitless

I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit.

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 593
RE: No interest in the London Olympics - 13/8/2012 10:45:47 AM   
matty_b

It was an utterly mediocre, let's-aim-it-at-the-X-Factor-crowd event that said absolutely nothing about Britain, unlike the opening ceremony.

Good things the games themselves have been amazing.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 594
RE: No interest in the London Olympics - 13/8/2012 8:01:52 PM   
sanchia

quote:

quote:

I missed the opening ceremony which I was disspointed about, so thought the closing ceremony couldn't be missed. Yeah, it could. I turned off just after Annie Lennox floated around the stadium on some kind of Viking ship. In fact, that's a lie I just remembered seeing someone who looked like Liam Gallagher singing old Oasis songs in a comedy voice.

I actually meant I saw an hour and a half of the Olympics in total.

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 595
RE: No interest in the London Olympics - 14/8/2012 7:48:10 AM   
jonson

quote:

quote:

quote:

I actually meant I saw an hour and a half of the Olympics in total.

Oh sorry my mistake, you're in the right thread at least.
So, what was the best bit of the hour and half of the Olympics you saw? Was it enough to bring tears?

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 596
RE: No interest in the London Olympics - 14/8/2012 6:37:08 PM   
sanchia

I can't really remember much although Jessica Ennis in that outfit they wear was rather memorable.

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 597
Page:   <<   < prev  16 17 18 19 [20]
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Off Topic >> Mammoth Threads >> RE: No interest in the London Olympics Page: <<   < prev  16 17 18 19 [20]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI