Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: No interest in the London Olympics

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Off Topic >> Mammoth Threads >> RE: No interest in the London Olympics Page: <<   < prev  15 16 [17] 18 19   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: No interest in the London Olympics - 28/7/2012 10:22:24 PM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

You chose to note to seek it out and note it though, so you surely must see some level of importance in it. I just think it's a bit sad you sit through things picking at everything British and saying 'it's not Scottish enough', or 'not enough Welsh in there'. As for Metropolitan-centredness

Sande - Scots
Arctic Monkeys - Sheffield
McCartney - Liverpool
Turner - Winchester
Alex Trimble - presumably Bangor with the rest of his band

Out of the live singers only Dizzee Rascal was from London, and he was local and a perfect choice. 1 out of 6? Branagh's Belfast, isn't he? Certainly NI. Probably the only controversial choice, IMO, was Blur over Oasis. Although it clearly should have been Pulp

British and Scottish, Scots are British. The word seems fair enough to me, others can use what they want

And ol' JK is Edinburgh based as well. GOSH was of course founded by a Scot.

< Message edited by Rgirvan44 -- 28/7/2012 10:23:38 PM >

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 481
RE: No interest in the London Olympics - 28/7/2012 10:43:31 PM   
paul_ie86

It was placed on Great Ormond Street just so it's initials would be GOSH wasn't it?

My Group Project's facebook page. Please like

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 482
RE: No interest in the London Olympics - 28/7/2012 10:50:19 PM   
boaby

quote:

You chose to note to seek it out and note it though, so you surely must see some level of importance in it. I just think it's a bit sad you sit through things picking at everything British and saying 'it's not Scottish enough', or 'not enough Welsh in there'. As for Metropolitan-centredness

Sande - Scots
McCartney - Liverpool
Turner - Winchester

Out of the live singers only Dizzee Rascal was from London, and he was local and a perfect choice. 1 out of 6? Branagh's Belfast, isn't he? Certainly NI. Probably the only controversial choice, IMO, was Blur over Oasis. Although it clearly should have been Pulp

British and Scottish, Scots are British. The word seems fair enough to me, others can use what they want

Seek it out? WTF? I watched (most) of it. I noticed stuff. I formed impressions. One was that most of the music was English. This was silly and Dail Mail-esque apparently. Now it's sad.

Really? My use of labels is sad. Yours is fair enough.

Well, whatever.

Also, again: expect is not want.

"Aberdonians, and with some degree of purpose and right on their side, have absolute contempt for Glasgow. There is a side of Aberdonians who, let's be absolutely honest about this, feel so superior to Glasgow that you can measure it by the yard."

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 483
RE: No interest in the London Olympics - 29/7/2012 9:36:34 AM   
sanchia

So the highlight of the opening ceremony is gone, saturation coverage is now in place and as a person who hates watching sport I am bored senseless by it already.

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to boaby)
Post #: 484
RE: No interest in the London Olympics - 29/7/2012 9:52:01 AM   
elab49

quote:

ORIGINAL: boaby

quote:

Sande - Scots
McCartney - Liverpool
Turner - Winchester

Seek it out? WTF? I watched (most) of it. I noticed stuff. I formed impressions. One was that most of the music was English. This was silly and Dail Mail-esque apparently. Now it's sad.

Really? My use of labels is sad. Yours is fair enough.

Well, whatever.

Also, again: expect is not want.

Yes - but only one out of the featured performers was actually from London but you see it as metropolitan centredness. Isn't that a deliberately skewed perspective? And you think the birthplace of the music creator is even worthy of comment. It just makes you look as if you're looking to make these points.

quote:

So the highlight of the opening ceremony is gone, saturation coverage is now in place and as a person who hates watching sport I am bored senseless by it already.

This.

Although I've been watching so much Korean film and TV I've gotten quite used to the archery thing! Or maybe it was watching Brave.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to boaby)
Post #: 485
RE: No interest in the London Olympics - 29/7/2012 10:01:54 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

Does the BBC really show so much essential tele usually that it becomes noticeable when it only has sport? I haven't seen a second of the olympics on TV since the ceremony bit I don't feel as if I'm missing out on whatever they would be showing on a normal weekend.

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 486
RE: No interest in the London Olympics - 29/7/2012 10:08:42 AM   
sanchia

It is more the irritation that I am paying a lot of money in licence fee and nearly 8% of it is going on saturation coverage of one thing (I know that make only approx. 5 but that is 5 too much). If there was more balance to it I would not care.

< Message edited by sanchia -- 29/7/2012 10:09:26 AM >

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to Gimli The Dwarf)
Post #: 487
RE: No interest in the London Olympics - 29/7/2012 10:16:57 AM   
elab49

The BBC is probably the only terrestrial channel I spend anytime on. Apart from that, I think it's the knock-on impact on other channels, and how they choose to respond.

More specifically, for me, my TV spends most of its time on News 24, particularly when I'm working at home. But even with dawn to dusk coverage on BBC1, the same coverage is often on at exactly the same time on the news channel. Last night they were even doing it with the round-up prog - I don't see the point of having it on News 24 if it's on BBC1 at the same time.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 488
RE: No interest in the London Olympics - 29/7/2012 10:26:35 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

I see. News channels very rarely make an appearance on my TV so I had no idea that sports was now their priority.

What surprises me the most about the coverage is that, even though they now have 12 hours a day of Olympics, BBC3 still seem to have time to show their usually crap. I'd rather have blanket coverage on the Beeb for two weeks every year than about 99.9% of BBC 3.

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 489
RE: No interest in the London Olympics - 29/7/2012 10:42:10 AM   
adambatman82

I'm not a fan of sport at all, but I've found myself glued to the games thus far. The cycling yesterday was fantastic, and I watched (and enjoyed hugely) archery for the first time too. I'm working with the swimming on in the background this morning too. I can deal with blanket coverage for two weeks, especially in the Summer when the tv networks are usually afraid of counter-programming anything against the hot weather anyway, and it's not like there isn't hundreds of other channels out there anyway (not to mention a DVD collection to turn to if needs be!). I can appreciate the 24 hour news channel complaint, although I'm sure that'll die down tomorrow.

My one annoyance comes from the fact that both tennis and football received hours of coverage on the three feeds we can receive (BBC1, BBC3 and the red button). I'd much rather watch have obscure sports (such as archery) readily available, and not a pair of sports that we've just had two major tournaments for.

(in reply to Gimli The Dwarf)
Post #: 490
RE: No interest in the London Olympics - 29/7/2012 11:40:17 AM   
nomimalone

quote:

ORIGINAL: adambatman82
My one annoyance comes from the fact that both tennis and football received hours of coverage on the three feeds we can receive (BBC1, BBC3 and the red button). I'd much rather watch have obscure sports (such as archery) readily available, and not a pair of sports that we've just had two major tournaments for.

Through the red button (on a Sky box anyway) you can choose any sport they have coverage of using the A-Z at the top of the screen. I'm overwhelmed by choice!

(in reply to adambatman82)
Post #: 491
RE: No interest in the London Olympics - 29/7/2012 12:01:34 PM   
elab49

Has Coe been taking lessons from Chemicall Ali?

People look at rows and rows of empty seats. Coe claims arenas are packed to the gunnels. What does Coe think 'gunnel' means, I wonder?

quote:

(in reply to nomimalone)
Post #: 492
RE: No interest in the London Olympics - 29/7/2012 12:22:25 PM   
steffols

quote:

People look at rows and rows of empty seats. Coe claims arenas are packed to the gunnels. What does Coe think 'gunnel' means, I wonder?

Yesterday, when watching the swimming I noticed that the higher tiers of the venue were absolutely packed. Whilst the lower down seats with the better views were left empty. If I was in that venue yesterday I would have been fuming if I had been left with a birdseye view whilst tens of seats were unoccupied at the bottom. Are these seats reserved for sponsors? If they are going to remain unfilled, then something needs to be done. There will be people mingling around outside who would love to have a surprise ticket for something - but no, mustn't upset the sponsors!

It's midnight in Manhattan, this is no time to get cute, it's a mad dog's promenade,
So walk tall, or baby don't walk at all.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 493
RE: No interest in the London Olympics - 29/7/2012 12:23:46 PM   
SWOTBM

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-19035551

Oops

PSN: light_brigade
Gamertag: chauders

(in reply to steffols)
Post #: 494
RE: No interest in the London Olympics - 29/7/2012 2:53:14 PM   
adambatman82

quote:

ORIGINAL: nomimalone

quote:

Through the red button (on a Sky box anyway) you can choose any sport they have coverage of using the A-Z at the top of the screen. I'm overwhelmed by choice!

Yeah, unfortunately we don't have sky, so we're limited by what Freeview can offer. The BBC's coverage on sky is amazing tho, with something like 24 channels of HD.

(in reply to nomimalone)
Post #: 495
RE: No interest in the London Olympics - 29/7/2012 3:04:46 PM   
donethinking

quote:

Yeah, unfortunately we don't have sky, so we're limited by what Freeview can offer. The BBC's coverage on sky is amazing tho, with something like 24 channels of HD.

iplayer ? up to 24 channels of live stream... http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/olympics/2012/live-video

Post #: 496
RE: No interest in the London Olympics - 29/7/2012 3:06:57 PM   
elab49

This came up above. I thought the red button was the red button, Sky or Freeview (and that was part of the point of the digital switchover) but apparently not. Seems very unfair.

quote:

Post #: 497
RE: No interest in the London Olympics - 29/7/2012 3:20:11 PM   
steffols

Yeah Freeview red button is not as extensive. As far as I can make out, switching between events on red button takes you too either BBC Three or the red button channel 301.

It's midnight in Manhattan, this is no time to get cute, it's a mad dog's promenade,

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 498
RE: No interest in the London Olympics - 29/7/2012 3:24:32 PM   
steffols

At one of the most popular events, the gymnastics, there is a whole section of empty seats. Hmm. That does not look good.

(in reply to steffols)
Post #: 499
RE: No interest in the London Olympics - 29/7/2012 3:34:19 PM   
Hood_Man

I wonder if the BBC's 24 HD channels would have been available on freeview if they hadn't had the license fee frozen this year?

Oh well, I've got a laptop...

(in reply to steffols)
Post #: 500
RE: No interest in the London Olympics - 29/7/2012 3:44:16 PM   
elab49

quote:

ORIGINAL: steffols

At one of the most popular events, the gymnastics, there is a whole section of empty seats. Hmm. That does not look good.

Don't be silly. Seb says the arenas are packed. And as he promised to name and shame corporates not using their tickets, I'm sure he's not talking BS.

quote:

(in reply to steffols)
Post #: 501
RE: No interest in the London Olympics - 29/7/2012 3:58:26 PM   
Skiba

It's quite strange flicking to the extra channels as there's no commentary...well, there wasn't on the water polo, weightlifting earlier, and it seems the football too. I think it's half-time for Brazil v Belarus and there's just shots of the crowd and the Olympic music.

Have a good time, all the time.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 502
RE: No interest in the London Olympics - 29/7/2012 4:03:08 PM   
Hood_Man

Empty seats again in Wimbledon centre court... not as many as yesterday but a noticeable amount (could well be in the dozens actually...).

I wish they'd rent them out or something if people didn't turn up, I'd happily be a seat filler right now.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 503
RE: No interest in the London Olympics - 29/7/2012 4:06:43 PM   
Hood_Man

Is anyone else having a problem when selecting between the freeview HD channels, with that yellow menu at the bottom of the screen? I'm not getting any sound when I choose from there.

Not that big a deal I guess since I know the channel numbers anyway (50, 54 and 304), just wondering if anyone else is experiencing it.

I've rescanned for channels by the way.

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 504
RE: No interest in the London Olympics - 29/7/2012 4:10:37 PM   
adambatman82

quote:

ORIGINAL: donethinking

iplayer ? up to 24 channels of live stream... http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/olympics/2012/live-video

Iplayer is an option yeah, but our broadband is really slow! It's no big deal as all the big events are on BBC1 anyway, it irks when football and tennis relegate curiosities like shooting and archery to the channels we dont get tho, thats all.

(in reply to donethinking)
Post #: 505
RE: No interest in the London Olympics - 29/7/2012 4:23:34 PM   
steffols

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: steffols

Don't be silly. Seb says the arenas are packed. And as he promised to name and shame corporates not using their tickets, I'm sure he's not talking BS.

They started filling up slowly, with military personnel! Gotta say, I don't know how good it looks when we have an entire section of burly men in army fatigues sitting bored at the gymnastics.

< Message edited by steffols -- 29/7/2012 4:25:40 PM >

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 506
RE: No interest in the London Olympics - 29/7/2012 4:39:46 PM   
elab49

That is just embarrassing. Fair enough if they tried to offer empty seats to off-duty helpers - but this is just incompetent cynicism. 

quote:

(in reply to steffols)
Post #: 507
RE: No interest in the London Olympics - 29/7/2012 5:03:52 PM   
Rinc

I went to the fencing today and I have to say all the workers were fantastic. I've been to plenty of sporting events and airports and they're mostly filled with miserable people. At the Excel today the military personnel doing security checks and all the workers checking tickets were really friendly and welcoming.

No spoilers please:

Invisiotext:
[ color=#F1F1F1 ]text[ /color ]

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 508
RE: No interest in the London Olympics - 29/7/2012 5:56:09 PM   
homersimpson_esq

quote:

?

That deep-browed Homer ruled as his demesne.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 509
RE: No interest in the London Olympics - 29/7/2012 6:57:30 PM   
sanchia

quote:

ORIGINAL: SWOTBM

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-19035551

Oops

It turns out she was one of the cast members from the earlier show who apparently "got carried away" by the event.

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to SWOTBM)
Post #: 510
Page:   <<   < prev  15 16 [17] 18 19   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Off Topic >> Mammoth Threads >> RE: No interest in the London Olympics Page: <<   < prev  15 16 [17] 18 19   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI