Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: No interest in the London Olympics

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Off Topic >> Mammoth Threads >> RE: No interest in the London Olympics Page: <<   < prev  14 15 [16] 17 18   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: No interest in the London Olympics - 28/7/2012 2:05:10 PM   
elab49

Isn't almost the entire thing being repeated at the moment? It said highlights, but it was 3 hours on the TV schedule. 

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to horribleives)
Post #: 451
RE: No interest in the London Olympics - 28/7/2012 2:10:13 PM   
boaby

quote:

ORIGINAL: horribleives

quote:

ORIGINAL: superdan

It's a testament to how much I enjoyed it that I'm still in a good mood this morning. That's it, I'm in for this Olympics. Boyle and co. managed to crush the cynic in me within a few hours. It was just so chaotic and exuberant in the most wonderful way. Beijing is rightly considered to be one of the greatest ever opening ceremonies, but to me Boyle has matched it purely by never attempting to. He went in as far in the opposite direction to the grandiose technicality of Beijing as it's possible to go, and it worked brilliantly. Bouncing punks, lesbian kisses and acid faces in an Olympic opening ceremony? Bee Gees for Fiji, Voldemort, Bond and Lizzie, a masterstroke of a cauldron lighting and a massive FU to Cameron over the NHS ... fucking genius.
Feel a bit sorry for Rio now, since they would obviously have gone for the party/carnival-style opening, and Boyle has beaten them to it. Now they're going to have to either out-ceremony Beijing or out-party London

Was at work last night and wasn't particularly arsed about watching it but these two elements have got me intrigued enough to have a look (assuming it's on iplayer and there isn't some ridiculous repeat embargo like they have with the football?)

There was a painful "wooing" featuring two teens done largely through the medium of smartphone while an assortment of snippets of mainly English music was played and people danced about. The culmination of the wooing was a snog. In the background of the snog on big screens were famous kisses of the past - including the Brookie lesbo one. All too briefly. I didn't see another.

The NHS love was cracking.

"Aberdonians, and with some degree of purpose and right on their side, have absolute contempt for Glasgow. There is a side of Aberdonians who, let's be absolutely honest about this, feel so superior to Glasgow that you can measure it by the yard."

(in reply to horribleives)
Post #: 452
RE: No interest in the London Olympics - 28/7/2012 2:12:11 PM   
elab49

The wooing was perfectly matched to the celebration of film and music behind it. It seemed fine to me. But yes, I think Brookside was the only one. Although it did also have bestiality with Planet of the Apes 

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

(in reply to boaby)
Post #: 453
RE: No interest in the London Olympics - 28/7/2012 2:13:29 PM   
Rgirvan44

English music???

This is getting stupid now.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 454
RE: No interest in the London Olympics - 28/7/2012 2:14:33 PM   
boaby

I'd rather have had Anna Friel snogging a bird on loop for the whole segment.

"Aberdonians, and with some degree of purpose and right on their side, have absolute contempt for Glasgow. There is a side of Aberdonians who, let's be absolutely honest about this, feel so superior to Glasgow that you can measure it by the yard."

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 455
RE: No interest in the London Olympics - 28/7/2012 2:17:14 PM   
donethinking

quote:

ORIGINAL: adambatman82
Favourite sight of the day so far was the mass peeing session in the bushes by the cyclists before they hit Richmond Park!

I saw that! I just couldnt understand it...the race was only 15mins or so underway and half the riders decide to take a piss ? its a 5 hour race or something, why would they stop for a piss ?

(in reply to adambatman82)
Post #: 456
RE: No interest in the London Olympics - 28/7/2012 2:20:12 PM   
elab49

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rgirvan44

English music???

It's as silly as the Daily Mail counting non-white faces IMO. It was great British music. Did anyone really miss Big Country or Runrig

quote:

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 457
RE: No interest in the London Olympics - 28/7/2012 2:22:49 PM   
boaby

quote:

English music???

Music from the World. Music from the Northern hemisphere. Music from the Western hemisphere. Music from the North Western quadrisphere. Music from Europe. Music from northern Europe. Music from western Europe. Music from north western Europe. Music from the British archipelago. Music from the British Isles. Music from the Britain. Music from England.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 458
RE: No interest in the London Olympics - 28/7/2012 2:32:39 PM   
boaby

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

quote:

English music???

It's as silly as the Daily Mail counting non-white faces IMO. It was great British music. Did anyone really miss Big Country or Runrig

What can I say, I see bands from England as English. No criticism involved really.

I was expecting the Undertones, the 'phonics, the Manics, SFA, Simple Minds, Texas, Biffy, Snow Patrol, Cream... maybe Tom Jones, Bassey, Church.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 459
RE: No interest in the London Olympics - 28/7/2012 5:34:25 PM   
Rgirvan44

It is very simplistic and putting everything into single baskets.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to boaby)
Post #: 460
RE: No interest in the London Olympics - 28/7/2012 5:37:04 PM   
Olaf

No ceremony ever needs Snow Patrol.

I tried to groan, Help! Help! But the tone that came out was that of polite conversation.

Empire Top 100 Albums Poll 2013: CLICK HERE

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 461
RE: No interest in the London Olympics - 28/7/2012 5:37:30 PM   
matty_b

quote:

ORIGINAL: boaby

I was expecting the Undertones, the 'phonics, the Manics, SFA, Simple Minds, Texas, Biffy, Snow Patrol, Cream... maybe Tom Jones, Bassey, Church.

In highlighted order -

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

(in reply to boaby)
Post #: 462
RE: No interest in the London Olympics - 28/7/2012 5:43:56 PM   
Olaf

You must be some sort of philistine if you don't think Real to Real Cacophony/Empires And Dance are classic albums matthew.

I tried to groan, Help! Help! But the tone that came out was that of polite conversation.

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 463
RE: No interest in the London Olympics - 28/7/2012 5:48:02 PM   
matty_b

The fact I had to Google them suggests...not.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 464
RE: No interest in the London Olympics - 28/7/2012 5:50:29 PM   
Sledge Hammer

Can I ask what Superdans avitar is please.

I know its some athlete before a race but I cant find the actual clip anywhere.

new sports forum - http://www.606v2.com

Check it out!

(in reply to Tech_Noir)
Post #: 465
RE: No interest in the London Olympics - 28/7/2012 5:50:47 PM   
Olaf

You should take a look. The revelation that those guys who did Don't You Forget About Me had a secret double life as something between Wire and Kraftwerk* was pretty jarring when I found out as well.

(*not as good as either of these bands)

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 466
RE: No interest in the London Olympics - 28/7/2012 5:54:30 PM   
superdan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sledge Hammer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMgmYutL9W0

You're welcome

(in reply to Sledge Hammer)
Post #: 467
RE: No interest in the London Olympics - 28/7/2012 5:58:33 PM   
Hood_Man

quote:

ORIGINAL: superdan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sledge Hammer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMgmYutL9W0

You're welcome

Junior World Championships??

*wiki's*

Ah, uploaded days before her 19th birthday, you're ok boys

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 468
RE: No interest in the London Olympics - 28/7/2012 6:02:09 PM   
elab49

quote:

ORIGINAL: matty_b

quote:

In highlighted order -

None of them were ever the key proponents of any of the music themes. Still, I suppose if someone insists, I'm sure someone can dig out the full playlist, check the names of everyone in any band, count up which sub-nationality they were.  Do we count Eurythmics given Lennox is the better known half? Born Slippy - it is very much associated with Trainspotting. Do we count that

The Jones/Bassey/Church type of music wasn't part of the point. I'd have thought the only likely appearance from any of them would be Sharkey?

quote:

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 469
RE: No interest in the London Olympics - 28/7/2012 6:12:51 PM   
superdan

It must be exhausting evaluating everything against another country. It would probably ruin my enjoyment too.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 470
RE: No interest in the London Olympics - 28/7/2012 6:26:06 PM   
sanchia

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hood_Man

She is even better.

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 471
RE: No interest in the London Olympics - 28/7/2012 6:56:55 PM   
Hood_Man

quote:

ORIGINAL: sanchia

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hood_Man

She is even better.

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 472
RE: No interest in the London Olympics - 28/7/2012 9:59:37 PM   
Ghidorah

Panasonic has announced that Getty Images sports photographer Dean Mouhtaropoulos will be covering the London 2012 Olympic Games exclusively using its recently-announced Lumix DMC-G5. His images will be displayed both at the Getty Gallery next to London's Olympic Park, and on Panasonic UK's homepage. With sports photography traditionally the preserve of large SLR cameras, the company is hoping to showcase the capabilities of its mirrorless model in this notoriously-demanding field. We suspect the press release has more to do with making the most of its Olympic sponsorship than swaying other pros, but it should be interesting to see the results.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2012/07/27/Dean-Mouhtarapoloulos-shoots-Panasonic-DMC-G5-at-Olympics

At least one person will be using the G5 at the Olympics.

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 473
RE: No interest in the London Olympics - 28/7/2012 10:01:20 PM   
elab49

That's possibly a bit of a single issue fixation you've got going there, no? 

quote:

(in reply to Ghidorah)
Post #: 474
RE: No interest in the London Olympics - 28/7/2012 10:01:54 PM   
boaby

Me expecting to see something does not equate to me wanting to see something or me thinking that that something should be shown.

For instance, I would have wanted Iron Maiden, just for sh!ts and giggles. I didn't expect Iron Maiden. Nor Free, nor Deep Purple, nor Black Sabbath... etc.

For instance: When I saw the inflatable house I expected Madness, I wanted Madness, I think that there should have been Madness. Though I guess the snippet of the Specials was the extent of the nod to Ska. When the "wooing" started I was expecting Teenage Kicks to get a nod as a symbol of John Peel/Radio 1's role in the evolution of pop music. I'd have quite liked that. I think that that should have happened.

I was expecting some kind of Welsh choral thing in the industrial revolution bit, which may have had jones or Bassey or Church in it. I didn't particularly want to see such a thing. I did feel Wales was a tad under-repped though.

I even thought there may have been a Baker Street nod. Scotsman's song, in set in London on the street of a very British detective created by an Irish/Scot/Brit. Music, Britishness, literature in one burst of sax. I'd have bunged it in.

I'm not evaluating things against other countries. I don't even know what that means.

What's a sub-nationality?

Was most of the music by English bands or what? It's not a criticism. It just was mostly - overwhelmingly I thought - English music. I guess there may have been a focus on London - Kinks, Pistols, Rascal, Stones... fair enough. The powers that be have been battering on about the GB-ness of the Games rather than the Metropolitan centrral-ness of the Games. Again, fine. Understandable. I was expecting the music to be reflective of that.

Also, I was expecting it to be less Christian. Jerusalem, that Christian Men song, Abide With Me... There was a nod to the WIndian influx but I didn't pick up on a nod to the Asian influx.

All these thing I expected. Well, it was better than I expected.

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 475
RE: No interest in the London Olympics - 28/7/2012 10:09:37 PM   
Rgirvan44

So you were wanting the show to go on for double the time or something?

(in reply to boaby)
Post #: 476
RE: No interest in the London Olympics - 28/7/2012 10:12:17 PM   
elab49

You chose to note to seek it out and note it though, so you surely must see some level of importance in it. I just think it's a bit sad you sit through things picking at everything British and saying 'it's not Scottish enough', or 'not enough Welsh in there'. As for Metropolitan-centredness

Sande - Scots
Arctic Monkeys - Sheffield
McCartney - Liverpool
Turner - Winchester
Alex Trimble - presumably Bangor with the rest of his band

Out of the live singers only Dizzee Rascal was from London, and he was local and a perfect choice. 1 out of 6? Branagh's Belfast, isn't he? Certainly NI. Probably the only controversial choice, IMO, was Blur over Oasis. Although it clearly should have been Pulp

British and Scottish, Scots are British. The word seems fair enough to me, others can use what they want

quote:

(in reply to boaby)
Post #: 477
RE: No interest in the London Olympics - 28/7/2012 10:17:57 PM   
superdan

quote:

There was a nod to the WIndian influx but I didn't pick up on a nod to the Asian influx.

There was definitely a bit of Bhangra in there at one point.

(in reply to boaby)
Post #: 478
RE: No interest in the London Olympics - 28/7/2012 10:21:25 PM   
Rgirvan44

Also Madness had done Our House this year at a national event.

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 479
RE: No interest in the London Olympics - 28/7/2012 10:21:55 PM   
boaby

quote:

So you were wanting the show to go on for double the time or something?

WTF? I was expecting different stuff. Not the stuff I was expecting as well as all the rest of the stuff. No extra stuff.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 480
Page:   <<   < prev  14 15 [16] 17 18   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Off Topic >> Mammoth Threads >> RE: No interest in the London Olympics Page: <<   < prev  14 15 [16] 17 18   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI