Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

No interest in the London Olympics

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Off Topic >> Mammoth Threads >> No interest in the London Olympics Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
No interest in the London Olympics - 27/1/2012 4:32:16 PM   
Tech_Noir

Am I alone here?

Post #: 1
RE: No interest in the London Olympics - 27/1/2012 4:33:04 PM   
Rhubarb

Judging by the thousands of people I have heard complain about the Olympics and the seemingly endless articles about how boring it is I have read, I am going to say no.

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

ORIGINAL: FritzlFan

You organisational skills sicken me, Rhubarb.

(in reply to Tech_Noir)
Post #: 2
RE: No interest in the London Olympics - 27/1/2012 4:39:06 PM   
Tech_Noir

I'm just sick of the coverage, which I know is gonna get worse.

Bob-sleighing, rowing, archery, ping-pong, etc. Very few people care about these "sports" but just because it's the Olympics it's shoved in our faces.

(in reply to Rhubarb)
Post #: 3
RE: No interest in the London Olympics - 27/1/2012 4:46:34 PM   
King of Kafiristan

From my vantage point across the pond, my interest extends as far as getting one of those nifty hoodies Clive Owen was sporting in CHILDREN OF MEN - and no farther

EDIT: The mascots are delightful though, I'd never seen an anthropomorphic "neck massager" wear crotchless spandex pants before

< Message edited by King of Kafiristan -- 27/1/2012 4:50:01 PM >

(in reply to Tech_Noir)
Post #: 4
RE: No interest in the London Olympics - 27/1/2012 4:48:12 PM   
JIm R

Don't agree with it at all. Total waste of valuable money on what is a jumped up sports day for two weeks. The money that has been spent could solve a huge amount of issues in this country.

(in reply to King of Kafiristan)
Post #: 5
RE: No interest in the London Olympics - 27/1/2012 4:57:25 PM   
Olaf

I wish they'd spend it on a Royal Yacht or something instead. Now that would be something for the people of Britain to be proud of.

I tried to groan, Help! Help! But the tone that came out was that of polite conversation.

Empire Top 100 Albums Poll 2013: CLICK HERE

(in reply to JIm R)
Post #: 6
RE: No interest in the London Olympics - 27/1/2012 5:01:03 PM   
galvatron

I generally enjoy the olympics but I'm sick of all the hype around the London games.

Personally, I'd rather the money had have been spent elsewhere. I hope to be out of the country during the olympics to avoid all the nonesense.

(in reply to Tech_Noir)
Post #: 7
RE: No interest in the London Olympics - 27/1/2012 5:03:56 PM   
superdan

It's win win as far as I'm concerned. If they are a disaster I can say "Nowt to do with me pal, that's the London Olympics.". If they somehow turn out to be a blinding success however, I can say "Wow, we can still put on one hell of a show in this country!".

I'll watch the stuff on telly, but it'll be less to do with it being an Olympic Games held in London and more to do with the fact that I just quite like watching sport all day.

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 8
RE: No interest in the London Olympics - 27/1/2012 5:04:36 PM   
Shifty Bench

quote:

ORIGINAL: JIm R

Don't agree with it at all. Total waste of valuable money on what is a jumped up sports day for two weeks. The money that has been spent could solve a huge amount of issues in this country.

This.

Extended Edition Podcast- Episode 46:Threads Of Destiny (Star Wars Fan Film)

(in reply to JIm R)
Post #: 9
RE: No interest in the London Olympics - 27/1/2012 5:17:47 PM   
Timon

I have interest in the London Olympics

But seriously, like all major sporting events you'll probably watch it or you won't care in the slightest.

I think it's a great 4 year event and if you can't muster an ounce of enthusiasm for a couple of weeks... well, then that's your prerogative. Personally I find it hard to really care that much during the FIFA World Cup especially with everyone going "Oh this is the year England will win". At least the Olympics showcases global talent that have actually been working for most of their lives to reach this point.

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Twitter: @timonsingh

(in reply to Shifty Bench)
Post #: 10
RE: No interest in the London Olympics - 27/1/2012 5:38:48 PM   
Olaf

quote:

ORIGINAL: Timon

Personally I find it hard to really care that much during the FIFA World Cup especially with everyone going "Oh this is the year England will win". At least the Olympics showcases global talent that have actually been working for most of their lives to reach this point.

Errrr footballers also train for many years as well.

Also, on the whole money front - are there any figures for how much money is brought into a country's economy by visiting tourists/athletes, and how it stacks up next to expenses?

I tried to groan, Help! Help! But the tone that came out was that of polite conversation.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 11
RE: No interest in the London Olympics - 27/1/2012 5:40:38 PM   
JIm R

Also to consider the amount of debt it leaves a country in as well when it's all over.

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 12
RE: No interest in the London Olympics - 27/1/2012 5:41:10 PM   
Timon

quote:

ORIGINAL: Olaf

quote:

Personally I find it hard to really care that much during the FIFA World Cup especially with everyone going "Oh this is the year England will win". At least the Olympics showcases global talent that have actually been working for most of their lives to reach this point.

Errrr footballers also train for many years as well.

Well yes, yes, yes, but international tournaments "generally" aren't their main priority compared to their premier sides and salaries.

You can't really say that about Olympic athletes who strive to represent their country.

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 13
RE: No interest in the London Olympics - 27/1/2012 5:41:40 PM   
Timon

quote:

Also to consider the amount of debt it leaves a country in as well when it's all over.

Well, we're already a trillion in debt, so what's a couple more billion?

(in reply to JIm R)
Post #: 14
RE: No interest in the London Olympics - 27/1/2012 5:43:39 PM   
Rebenectomy

Yeah I pretty much agree with Timon, if it doesn't float your boat then fair dos, but it's something I've always enjoyed, both Summer and Winter games, irrespective of venue.

I can see the arguments against the amount of money being spent and I think the general consensus is that no city has ever really handled the legacy plan all that successfully, so perhaps the age of different country each games should be shelved. Why not hold it in Greece each time? They have the facilities and they could do with the extra revenue, which they would probably profit from if they didn't have to build from scratch.

Body Hair Beautiful: An Armpits for August Special
http://www.lipstogetherandblow.com/2013/07/body-beautiful.html

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 15
RE: No interest in the London Olympics - 27/1/2012 5:45:28 PM   
Hood_Man

I'm not that interested at the moment because it's still several months away. I will be when it gets closer though

(in reply to Rebenectomy)
Post #: 16
RE: No interest in the London Olympics - 27/1/2012 5:52:46 PM   
Scott_

I'm interested in the Football and thats about it.

"You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend: Those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig."

Check out my top 21 films - http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3188740

360 Gamertag - SmokinFuzz

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 17
RE: No interest in the London Olympics - 27/1/2012 5:57:32 PM   
superdan

quote:

Also, on the whole money front - are there any figures for how much money is brought into a country's economy by visiting tourists/athletes, and how it stacks up next to expenses?

I don't have any figures, but I did read an article somewhere which said that the Olympics nearly always turn out to be a substantial loss-maker for the host nation. It also said the FIFA World Cup tends to be profitable, which would perhaps explain the unseemly 'bartering' that goes on to try and win bids to host that particular event.

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 18
RE: No interest in the London Olympics - 27/1/2012 6:17:53 PM   
MonsterCat

Will there be ladies' mud wrestling in this year's Olympics?

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 19
RE: No interest in the London Olympics - 27/1/2012 6:24:33 PM   
Shifty Bench

I'd probably watch that 

Extended Edition Podcast- Episode 46:Threads Of Destiny (Star Wars Fan Film)

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 20
RE: No interest in the London Olympics - 27/1/2012 11:47:11 PM   
kumar

whinge whinge whinge whinge

Stop being so miserable. The olympics are amazing. A collection of events designed to test some of the most physically able people on the planet. Nothing but spectacle.

"Darth Silas - I love Craig as Bond too. Genius. "- Jackmansgirl 15/7/2008

Last films watched:

The Road - 4/5
Chronicle - 4/5
Twilight Breaking Dawn p1 - 1/5
Warrior - 5/5
Super 8 - 5/5
Paranormal Activity 3 - 3/5
MI 4 - 2/5

(in reply to Tech_Noir)
Post #: 21
RE: No interest in the London Olympics - 27/1/2012 11:51:21 PM   
kumar

quote:

quote:

Well, we're already a trillion in debt, so what's a couple more billion?

well what about a few more millions

"Darth Silas - I love Craig as Bond too. Genius. "- Jackmansgirl 15/7/2008

Last films watched:

The Road - 4/5
Chronicle - 4/5
Twilight Breaking Dawn p1 - 1/5
Warrior - 5/5
Super 8 - 5/5
Paranormal Activity 3 - 3/5
MI 4 - 2/5

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 22
RE: No interest in the London Olympics - 28/1/2012 12:17:16 AM   
homersimpson_esq

quote:

I wish they'd spend it on a Royal Yacht or something instead. Now that would be something for the people of Britain to be proud of.

Unlike your atrocious mangling of the English language. FOR SHAME.

That deep-browed Homer ruled as his demesne.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 23
RE: No interest in the London Olympics - 28/1/2012 12:19:46 AM   
Olaf

quote:

ORIGINAL: homersimpson_esq

quote:

Unlike your atrocious mangling of the English language. FOR SHAME.

I hate England lol

(in reply to homersimpson_esq)
Post #: 24
RE: No interest in the London Olympics - 28/1/2012 12:43:45 AM   
JIm R

quote:

ORIGINAL: kumar

Stop being so miserable. The olympics are amazing. A collection of events designed to test some of the most physically able people on the planet. Nothing but spectacle.

Yep, I'm sure the hundreds of homeless people we have in this country can't wait either. Wasted millions that could wipe out homelessness in an instant spent unwisely.

(in reply to kumar)
Post #: 25
RE: No interest in the London Olympics - 28/1/2012 1:38:44 AM   
Rhubarb

True fact, all the people moaning about how boring the olympic hype is are way more boring than the olympic hype

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

ORIGINAL: FritzlFan

You organisational skills sicken me, Rhubarb.

(in reply to JIm R)
Post #: 26
RE: No interest in the London Olympics - 28/1/2012 9:04:05 AM   
chewbacasnapsak

Building the stadium, the venues and the Olympic village including the extended infrastructure have kept a lot of people employed. Also the Olympic village as I understand it will then be used for social housing.
Don't like it, then don't watch it. What Rhubarb said.

"who'd pay a million dollars to have me killed"
"jealous husbands, outraged chefs, humiliated tailors...the list is endless"

(in reply to Rhubarb)
Post #: 27
RE: No interest in the London Olympics - 28/1/2012 9:49:51 AM   
Rebenectomy

quote:

Yep, I'm sure the hundreds of homeless people we have in this country can't wait either. Wasted millions that could wipe out homelessness in an instant spent unwisely.

While I'm far from overjoyed at the outlay involved in putting on the Games, it's a bit naive and simplistic to think that if the money hadn't been spent on the Olympics then it would have gone straight to helping the homeless or a similar cause. As with almost any big public event or expenditure the money's not amassed in one place, and even if the government had a lump sum equivalent, the chances of it being tailored to a singular long term infrastructure project such as homelessness action is slim.

Body Hair Beautiful: An Armpits for August Special
http://www.lipstogetherandblow.com/2013/07/body-beautiful.html

(in reply to JIm R)
Post #: 28
RE: No interest in the London Olympics - 28/1/2012 9:56:10 AM   
matty_b

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: kumar

Well, it couldn't, that's just a fallacy, really.

And you could say that about anything you don't like, though. You could say that about arts funding, and I bet the non-sporting people here would cry if that all got wiped out to "solve the homeless" problem.

Personally, I'm not a huge sports fan or anywhere near London, but this is probably going to be a once in a lifetime thing. I'll watch it and happily put aside my cynicism.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

(in reply to JIm R)
Post #: 29
RE: No interest in the London Olympics - 28/1/2012 10:01:30 AM   
sharkboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rebenectomy

quote:

While I'm far from overjoyed at the outlay involved in putting on the Games, it's a bit naive and simplistic to think that if the money hadn't been spent on the Olympics then it would have gone straight to helping the homeless or a similar cause. As with almost any big public event or expenditure the money's not amassed in one place, and even if the government had a lump sum equivalent, the chances of it being tailored to a singular long term infrastructure project such as homelessness action is slim.

Absolutely Reb.  Now I'm not a huge supporter of the Olympics, and totally refute the Government's claim that everyone in the country will prosper from the event (can't see too many Olympic tourists venturing too far from the South East during the two weeks, certainly not as far as Belfast), but the fact of the matter is that if the money hadn't been spent on the Games, it would have simply been divided piecemeal across the block bids for each Department.  It's just as likely - probably more likely given the current guy in No.10 - that the funding would have gone towards Trident or policy research on reducing benefit payments than on alleviating homelessness.

EDIT: And don't forget, a very large part of the infrastructure funding (about 2.2 bn) came from the Lottery, so more a voluntary tax rather than a direct cost to the taxpayer.

< Message edited by sharkboy -- 28/1/2012 10:08:26 AM >

WWLD?

Every time we think we have measured our capacity to meet a challenge, we look up and we're reminded that that capacity may well be limitless

I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit.

(in reply to Rebenectomy)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Off Topic >> Mammoth Threads >> No interest in the London Olympics Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI