Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: The Grey

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: The Grey Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The Grey - 4/4/2012 8:06:30 AM   
Phubbs

Rollicking adventure that feels like its for gruff hikers only as Neeson battles his way across the frozen wastes of the Alaskan wilderness with a motley bunch of blue collar Joe's fighting off savage wild wolves in a battle for survival where only the strongest will live another day and the weak get eaten...phew!

Bottom line, the film is good, very well made, great cast and performances plus it looks amazing filmed in Alaska...but at the end of the day its pretty much your common 'creatures take group down one by one till last man standing'. Not that this is a particular problem but like you have the saying 'its Die Hard on boat/train/oil rig' etc...here you have the saying 'its man v snakes/piranhas/alligators/sharks' etc...this time its wolves, basically a creature feature but a very realistic sensible one.

You do sense the Scott brothers influence throughout the film with its grand vistas, hard edge tension, detail and of course the small ragtag group of grunts that must battle against the odds. There isn't really much you can moan about with the film accept one thing, and that's the really quite incorrect negative perception the Grey Wolf gets in the film.

I'm no expert but I do know that wolves will not really act as savagely as they are portrayed in this film and for me this does knock the realism somewhat. The chances of a wolf pack actually doing what they do in this film is pretty low to be honest, they may try to kill or attack a wounded human or a human on his own but I'm pretty sure they wouldn't stalk a group down and take them out one by one. Unfortunately like other films that have the same man vs creature theme it does tend to give the creature in question bad publicity which isn't deserved.

Personally I think the Oscar talk is a bit over the top, its a great atmospheric film which certainly makes you feel the chill and does have you caring about the groups situation which, in turn, really emphasizes how fragile life is. But while its realistic on one level its not very realistic on another (the wolf behaviour and the cliff jumping scene) and that just lets it down in my eyes. I kept thinking I was watching a horror film about snow werewolves most of the time but it is a deep enjoyable wilderness thriller.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 31
RE: The Grey - 16/5/2012 4:17:42 PM   
sharkboy

Well, I finally got round to seeing this last night after managing to avoid pretty much everything about it on its release.

So, the big man in a Joe Carnahan movie about a bunch of oil crew workers going up against the bleak wilderness and a pack of predatory wolves.  If ever there was a concept that had "action movie" written large across it...

But this is the Carnahan of Narc, not A-Team or Smokin' Aces.  This is the peeling away of the hard outer layers that make up the big man to reveal the heart inside.  This is the constant but not-always-unwelcome presence of death's spectre, the pale rider in a pale landscape. 

Like Ray Liotta's Henry Oak, Ottway is a man's man, a brooding rough presence on the edge of civilisation.  But his softer side is soon on display, with a powerfully moving scene in which he comforts a dying man to bring him peace before his end.  Flashbacks to moments with his wife and his childhood with his tough Irish father add additional insights into Ottway the man.  It is his no-nonsense approach that motivates the survivors to find supplies, shelter and hope.  However, that doesn't mean there is no action.  We experience an exhilirating plane crash and vertigo-inducing rope tricks, not to mention a certain pack of territorial and nasty black wolves that continually attack the survivors.  And in case you think Ottway isn't that tough after all, just watch him tape broken miniature bottles between his fingers for an improvised knuckle duster with real bite!  By the way, make sure to watch after the credits too for the post-credit scene.  Not that it really gives too much away...

Shot with bleak tones against the harsh but breathtaking beauty of the North American wilderness, Carnahan has created something special here.  I wouldn't say it's Neeson's best role, but it's certainly up there with them, and he is ably supported by a great cast.  On the strength of this, Carnahan should give up trying to be the next big action director.  Not that he isn't more than capable of the role, rather that it would be a waste of the eye for characterisation and introspection that he clearly displays.

WWLD?

Every time we think we have measured our capacity to meet a challenge, we look up and we're reminded that that capacity may well be limitless

I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit.

(in reply to Phubbs)
Post #: 32
Rather brilliant actually - 25/5/2012 6:40:01 PM   
mclane1

after reading all the very much unfair reviews when it was released at the cinema (apart from Empire) i was suprised at just what a great film this is. After all its liam, its wolves, its snow!! The first 2 thirds are genuinley quite frightening and un nerving SPOLIER! the rope section is daft but provides a breather from the wolves. My only initial dissapointment SPOILER! was the last 20 mins, the film slows pace and just when you think its going to finish with a bad ass action scene to end all others... it just stops. For me, on relfection, the ending worked really well. it does however put it in the 'watch only once' category so the makers have probably stuffed themselves on DVD sales worked really. Oh and Liam is BRILLIANT (and does have a specific set of skills)

Post #: 33
Overlooked and Surprising - 25/5/2012 11:13:08 PM   
FilmMaster

When I went to see this film, I did not know exactly what I was going to get. I ended up getting a chilling tale with excellent performances from its cast (especially Liam Neeson) that tells a gritty and adventurous tale of being lost. The film I must say, is overlooked by audiences and most people I know haven't seen it or heard of it. So far in 2012, I think it is one of the best due to it's excellent camerawork, acting and plot.

There were some in the cinema I was at saying "that was boring" at the end, while I was gobsmacked by the film's fantastic editing- which was then disturbed by hatred of who said it was boring-. Well worth seeing.

Post #: 34
Overlooked and Surprising - 25/5/2012 11:14:24 PM   
FilmMaster

When I went to see this film, I did not know exactly what I was going to get. I ended up getting a chilling tale with excellent performances from its cast (especially Liam Neeson) that tells a gritty and adventurous tale of being lost. The film I must say, is overlooked by audiences and most people I know haven't seen it or heard of it. So far in 2012, I think it is one of the best due to it's excellent camerawork, acting and plot.

There were some in the cinema I was at saying "that was boring" at the end, while I was gobsmacked by the film's fantastic editing- which was then disturbed by hatred of who said it was boring-. Well worth seeing.

Post #: 35
Overlooked and Surprising - 25/5/2012 11:14:38 PM   
FilmMaster

Post #: 36
RE: Overlooked and Surprising - 6/6/2012 11:55:30 PM   
Dirk Miggler

We needed more of a payoff for the final scene, which could have been added and still ended in similar fashion. Shame.

(in reply to FilmMaster)
Post #: 37
- 17/6/2012 1:20:55 AM   
dfooster

Good film about survival against the odds. For those people disappointed by the ending they should have maybe hung around until the end of the credits.

Post #: 38
The Grey - under-rated and overlooked! - 18/6/2012 1:36:15 PM   
Lycan

Thoroughly enjoyed this movie. Perfect casting for Neeson and as implied by dfooster's comment - if you haven't seen the end of the credits...you haven't seen the movie properly. Very clever piece of direction, very intelligent reference to another scene earlier in the film and an excellent pay-off.

Post #: 39
Better that expected - 13/7/2012 9:27:06 AM   
guysalisbury

I saw some people complaining on here that this film wasn't just Neeson kicking the shit out of wolves and I am so pleased it wasn't! It was so much more! I never really forgiven Neeson for the pile of turd that is Taken (I know I'm in the minority) but this has gone a long way to bringing him back into favour. I thought the Character studies were great and there really were some moving moments that balanced nicely with the more tense scenes. I rented 4 films to watch this week (Chronicle - Shit, Safe House - OK, 21 Jump Street - Good) and this was the last of them and by far the best!

Post #: 40
RE: The Grey - 21/10/2012 4:48:07 PM   
JohnChard

One of the best films of the year. Some folk on here are missing the point that the Wolves are merely a catalyst presence in the grand scheme of things. The guy who called it a dumb fun adventure movie must have had it on mute! 

< Message edited by JohnChard -- 21/10/2012 4:49:31 PM >

"Out you get Hooky, you`ve done your bit"

(in reply to Phubbs)
Post #: 41
RE: The Grey - 2/1/2013 1:59:22 PM   
UTB

Watched this for the first time last night. What a great film. I do enjoy Joe Carnahan's films (the A-Team is rather underrated I think).

Stunning performance from Neeson, who combines a fragile mind with a hulking great brick shithouse with ease. Excellent supporting cast and some real depth. Great score too.

(in reply to JohnChard)
Post #: 42
RE: The Grey - 8/3/2013 11:40:54 PM   
Private Hudson

Just watched it tonight and it was a very different kind of movie from what was advertised, which is why I think people may feel a bit cheated. It is not an action/adventure movie. It is very sombre, and is concerned really with not even survival but death. Quite bleak for a Hollywood movie! It reminds me a bit of The Edge (which I thought is a great movie - although it has one of the hammiest ever death scenes in it, I won't spoil who) though it is much more serious and darker than that movie.

You know it makes me chuckle when people talk about Christopher Nolan's Batman movies being dark. Er no. They are enjoyable pieces of escapism. A movie like The Grey is dark because it doesn't sidestep any issue. It is still however a bit fantastical no matter how realistic it tries to be as the guys would have died of hypothermia in that cold and the bits in the water would mean death in minutes. Plus we don't see much frostbite either!

There is a controversial ending to the movie, though stick around for the post-credits sequence. One thing I think has been lost on many people talking about the movie is the way that the wolfpack dynamics are being mirrored by the men. Neeson is obviously the alpha of the men and does have to withstand a challenge to his authority.

I thought it was good, but it is not as good as it thinks it is, due to the mistakes it has made in terms of the weather and conditions. You can't try to be a deep and meaningful, philosophical movie about existence and then ignore reality!

I'd give it 3 stars out of 5.

So remember if you are wanting to see Neeson versus Wolves then don't watch it. It is another type of film entirely.

Watch my spoof movie of FULL METAL JACKET here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCGRWVvM-Zo&feature=plcp&context=C31ca298UDOEgsToPDskJ4_UorjolrWTaxEGMj5GO0

(in reply to UTB)
Post #: 43
RE: Neeson + Wolves = Pretty Good - 8/3/2013 11:43:47 PM   
Private Hudson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Artificial Luddite

Once upon a time Liam Neeson only played priests and sombre leaders. Today he has transformed himself into a somewhat credible action star, to mixed results: his last movie Unknown was a nightmare although Taken was a sleeper hit and is highly regarded among college students and stoners across Ireland.

The Grey is his latest offering and the plot is so deviously stupid that you canít help but wonder what two hours of Liam Neeson pitted against a pack of wolves would be like. Call me naÔve but I was expecting more.

The whole affair starts well enough with a frightening plane crash in the wilds of Alaska. Those unlucky few to survive the crash soon realise they are not alone, and must help each other if they are to get out alive. Even though by the end of the movie I was looking at my watch and waiting for the remaining characters to be picked off so I could go home, I did enjoy The Grey.

I mean, okay the premise is ridiculous, but Joe Carnahan never allows for his survival movie to take itself seriously. The script is solid, if not self-parodying at times, and allows the cast to get involved in some memorable exchanges. Neeson is also given free reign to deliver some wonderfully ludicrous lines, and follows up his hilarious appearance on Lifeís Too Short with another naturally comic turn.

The Grey is wonderfully shot and looks great, and the barren windswept snowscape presented to us seems rather intimidating. Sadly, the wolves themselves are at times unconvincing, due to another unnecessary dependence on CGI.

Even though this eventually degenerates into a tedious action flick, it is for the majority a big dumb action movie that is a lot of fun, and gives Neeson licence to do what he now does pretty damn well. Beat the shit out of things.

Must have been a different version I saw. It is anything but an action flick. In fact there is hardly any action in it. It is a survival drama, and a very bleak one at that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCGRWVvM-Zo&feature=plcp&context=C31ca298UDOEgsToPDskJ4_UorjolrWTaxEGMj5GO0

(in reply to Artificial Luddite)
Post #: 44
RE: Who's Afraid Of The Big Bad Wolf? - 8/3/2013 11:45:36 PM   
Private Hudson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hobbitonlass

quote:

ORIGINAL: Spaldron
The scenery is stunning,

Absolutely! Especially by the river at the end. Really makes me want to visit Canada even more (always wanted to go, this reinforces that feeling).

The only slight niggle I had was when he fell in to the river fully clothed. Surely he would have froze to death?? That aside it really was an excellent film and one of the most realistic plane crashes I have seen (not that I have ever seen a real one!) on screen.

Is it not set in Alaska? They mention flying to Anchorage. But perhaps it was filmed in Canada?

(in reply to Hobbitonlass)
Post #: 45
RE: Overlooked and Surprising - 9/3/2013 9:50:36 AM   
BigKovacs

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dirk Miggler

We needed more of a payoff for the final scene, which could have been added and still ended in similar fashion. Shame.

!!!!!!!!SPOILER!!!!!!!!

How could that work? He kills the Alpha and dies of exposure assuming that the other wolves left him alone or he'd lose to the Alpha and we'd still get the same ending?

I think the ending was fine as it was.

Gamertag: Cambo1979.

(in reply to Dirk Miggler)
Post #: 46
Grittily brilliant - 18/3/2013 9:55:19 PM   
Mr Gittes

A hell of a lot better than I thought it would be. A very well made, intense movie with a great ending and an incredible performance from Liam Neeson. I'm almost tempted to give it 5 stars, it's so good.

Post #: 47
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: The Grey Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News††|††Empire Blog††|††Movie Reviews††|††Future Films††|††Features††|††Video Interviews††|††Image Gallery††|††Competitions††|††Forum††|††Magazine††|††Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI