Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Kim "Portal" Swift's new game - Quantum Conundrum

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Joypad >> Kim "Portal" Swift's new game - Quantum Conundrum Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Kim "Portal" Swift's new game - Quantum Conun... - 27/1/2012 8:06:02 AM   
directorscut

This looks incredible, Portal taken to the next, next level.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ni6X80JvcIA&feature=g-all-f&context=G22e9fe0FAAAAAAAAAAA

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.
Post #: 1
RE: Kim "Portal" Swift's new game - Quantum C... - 27/1/2012 9:17:31 AM   
sroey

Very impressive - I am ashamed to say I have never played portal 2 but this looks great!

(in reply to directorscut)
Post #: 2
RE: Kim "Portal" Swift's new game - Quantum C... - 27/1/2012 5:41:41 PM   
talpacino

Looks very nice. Portal 2 was one of my favourites from last year so I'll keep an eye on this. Let's hope they have a similar quality of writing and voice acting as well as gameplay.

Currahee!

It's a different film. It's a very different film! It's a different shark!

Suppose I shot ya..How'd that be?

(in reply to sroey)
Post #: 3
RE: Kim "Portal" Swift's new game - Quantum C... - 27/1/2012 7:05:27 PM   
SWOTBM

Looks rather easy and from what she said in the demo it sounds as though Portal 2 has more variations.  Need more gameplay footage before I'm sold. 

PSN: light_brigade
Gamertag: chauders

(in reply to talpacino)
Post #: 4
RE: Kim "Portal" Swift's new game - Quantum C... - 27/1/2012 7:25:10 PM   
directorscut

quote:

ORIGINAL: SWOTBM

Looks rather easy and from what she said in the demo it sounds as though Portal 2 has more variations. Need more gameplay footage before I'm sold.

It's only the beginning of the game. They did they same thing in Portal; ease you into the game mechanics before making the puzzles more complex.

(in reply to SWOTBM)
Post #: 5
RE: Kim "Portal" Swift's new game - Quantum C... - 27/1/2012 9:45:23 PM   
the anomaly

Look's interesting ... only thing that I'm not that keen on is the tone of the game.

Glados and co add so much to Portal's atmosphere and I dug the testing environments and how it could/does tie into to the world of Half Life.

This ... looks a bit cheesy ... and kiddie ... generic ... still if it's a good enough game I'll give it a spin. 

Post #: 6
RE: Kim "Portal" Swift's new game - Quantum C... - 28/1/2012 8:00:12 AM   
Drew_231

Looks very interesting actually

I think Valve made a huge mistake with Kim Swift when they started using here for pr on games like Left 4 Dead, which have nothing to do the type of games she develops
I think that would have been one of the reasons she ended up leaving

Ill definatly be keeping an eye on this one

< Message edited by Drew_231 -- 28/1/2012 8:02:30 AM >

(in reply to the anomaly)
Post #: 7
RE: Kim "Portal" Swift's new game - Quantum C... - 28/1/2012 4:13:36 PM   
Saltire

Looks like plenty of scope for new interesting puzzles to solve - will be getting this once (whenever) its finished.

(in reply to Drew_231)
Post #: 8
RE: Kim "Portal" Swift's new game - Quantum C... - 24/6/2012 4:39:28 PM   
directorscut

http://www.destructoid.com/review-quantum-conundrum-229875.phtml

Already out on PC. Coming to XBOX in July.

(in reply to Saltire)
Post #: 9
RE: Kim "Portal" Swift's new game - Quantum C... - 28/7/2012 9:27:14 PM   
the anomaly

Anyone pick it up yet?

Post #: 10
RE: Kim "Portal" Swift's new game - Quantum C... - 23/11/2012 6:31:13 PM   
directorscut

On sale on XBL for today only. 600pts.

Post #: 11
RE: Kim "Portal" Swift's new game - Quantum C... - 25/11/2012 8:38:19 PM   
the anomaly

quote:

ORIGINAL: directorscut

Picked it up.

Looking forward to it.

Post #: 12
RE: Kim "Portal" Swift's new game - Quantum C... - 26/11/2012 10:06:18 AM   
MBeard

quote:

ORIGINAL: the anomaly

quote:

Picked it up.

Looking forward to it.

Me too. Not started it yet though, too many other games to play!

PM me for Xbox Live Details!

Post #: 13
RE: Kim "Portal" Swift's new game - Quantum C... - 29/11/2012 7:25:56 PM   
Saltire

quote:

quote:

Picked it up.

Looking forward to it.

Got it also and started, though am stuck on a bit just now, so put it down while I run through Arkham City which will take some time!!

Post #: 14
RE: Kim "Portal" Swift's new game - Quantum C... - 3/12/2012 11:55:06 PM   
the anomaly

I PICKED IT UP

I'M ON THE AREA WHERE TIME SLOWS DOWN

IT'S GOOD

DOESN'T HAVE PORTAL'S ATMOSPHERE BUT THE PUZZLES ARE UP TO CODE

(in reply to Saltire)
Post #: 15
RE: Kim "Portal" Swift's new game - Quantum C... - 4/12/2012 6:53:03 AM   
Saltire

I'm at that bit too and stuck with the sofa and lasers. I assume you throw the sofa then slow down time to run across and switch off the lasers, but dunno what to do next!

Post #: 16
RE: Kim "Portal" Swift's new game - Quantum C... - 4/12/2012 9:05:32 PM   
the anomaly

quote:

ORIGINAL: Saltire

I'm at that bit too and stuck with the sofa and lasers. I assume you throw the sofa then slow down time to run across and switch off the lasers, but dunno what to do next!

How are you finding it?

Appreciate the puzzles. Though even early on there are a few that are focused on how you navigate. For example being on the conveyor belt and dodging the lasers. You could fall off, get killed by lasers etc which is a bit of a pain first person. They just seem slightly more cumbersome than you'd hope.

< Message edited by the anomaly -- 4/12/2012 9:06:18 PM >

(in reply to Saltire)
Post #: 17
RE: Kim "Portal" Swift's new game - Quantum C... - 5/12/2012 12:45:58 AM   
Saltire

Yeah there are some spacial issues when jumping especially, but not so bad that its outright annoying. Another thing that is slightly annoying for me is John de Lancie playing the professor; he has that slightly eccentric voice that suits the part well (and always liked him as Q back in the day on TNG), but having come off playing AC3 with him being Desmonds dad, I can't relate to him in it lol. Also he's too quick to give you hints on how to complete the room, which I find I'm having to mute the sound whenever I start a new puzzle!

The puzzles themselves are pretty good in my book, I like games where I have to think, and I am not let down in this one in the slightest. I'm only playing it casually, once or twice a week just now while I work on completing other games, but I think I'll grab the extra DLC for it too.

Post #: 18
RE: Kim "Portal" Swift's new game - Quantum C... - 5/12/2012 11:48:14 PM   
the anomaly

quote:

Yeah there are some spacial issues when jumping especially, but not so bad that its outright annoying.

Indeed it's not "broken" just a niggle I noted.

quote:

Another thing that is slightly annoying for me is John de Lancie playing the professor; he has that slightly eccentric voice that suits the part well (and always liked him as Q back in the day on TNG), but having come off playing AC3 with him being Desmonds dad, I can't relate to him in it lol.

Spoilers! ... I haven't started Revelations yet.

quote:

Also he's too quick to give you hints on how to complete the room, which I find I'm having to mute the sound whenever I start a new puzzle!

I do wonder about that. Would have been nice to have the option to have his comments minus any hints what so ever. To give the die hards (me) an extra difficulty. On the other hand they are only slight hints at the end of the day. Nothing breaking the puzzles or making them redundant. More to aid the design to say "look here" etc. the same as highlighting an object that can be interacted with. But I do wonder ... how much was added in from play tests etc as the issue with puzzle games like this is they can stump people which can cause them to switch off and no development team want's that. I think it's balanced enough to be a slight hint rather than anything else.

quote:

The puzzles themselves are pretty good in my book, I like games where I have to think, and I am not let down in this one in the slightest. I'm only playing it casually, once or twice a week just now while I work on completing other games, but I think I'll grab the extra DLC for it too.

Bit gutted they had this on steam for 3.99 + all the dlc. If there aren't achievement's for the DLC I'll probably await the next sale of the PC version.

As noted before it doesn't have Portal's atmosphere or lineage BUT it is a shame if it get's too overlooked as it's so far been a decent game in the same vein.

(in reply to Saltire)
Post #: 19
RE: Kim "Portal" Swift's new game - Quantum C... - 6/12/2012 1:39:45 AM   
Saltire

quote:

quote:

Another thing that is slightly annoying for me is John de Lancie playing the professor; he has that slightly eccentric voice that suits the part well (and always liked him as Q back in the day on TNG), but having come off playing AC3 with him being Desmonds dad, I can't relate to him in it lol.

Oops sorry about that!

Yeah I'd like to have gotten the game and all the DLC for less than what I'll end up paying for it, but I don't mind that too much if its a game I really enjoy. I hope this does get another game because the potential is there for all sorts of puzzles.

On an aside, I really want some new custom maps to play for Portal 2, but since I have the Xbox version and not the PC/PS3 versions in which they can get these maps, I can't play them as Microsoft demands money for most DLC - shame on them greedy sods! I had the original Portal for PC and was able to play some fiendishly difficult maps on that version, but I would really like to play them again for Portal 2; may have to look into getting P2 through steam on PC me thinks. Mind you I've a tonne of games to go through before all that, so maybe the price will be down a bit more when I eventually look into it.

< Message edited by Saltire -- 6/12/2012 1:46:24 AM >

Post #: 20
RE: Kim "Portal" Swift's new game - Quantum C... - 7/12/2012 12:31:32 AM   
the anomaly

quote:

quote:

quote:

Oops sorry about that!

Cheers ... I'll get over it! Probably forget.

quote:

Yeah I'd like to have gotten the game and all the DLC for less than what I'll end up paying for it, but I don't mind that too much if its a game I really enjoy. I hope this does get another game because the potential is there for all sorts of puzzles.

I got a discount on XBLA so it isn't that bad.

quote:

On an aside, I really want some new custom maps to play for Portal 2, but since I have the Xbox version and not the PC/PS3 versions in which they can get these maps, I can't play them as Microsoft demands money for most DLC - shame on them greedy sods! I had the original Portal for PC and was able to play some fiendishly difficult maps on that version, but I would really like to play them again for Portal 2; may have to look into getting P2 through steam on PC me thinks. Mind you I've a tonne of games to go through before all that, so maybe the price will be down a bit more when I eventually look into it.

Portal 2 - 3.74 on steam. http://store.steampowered.com/search/?snr=1_4_4__12&term=portal+2

You may as well pick it up! Good thing about Vale games, they always feature in steam sales.

(in reply to Saltire)
Post #: 21
RE: Kim "Portal" Swift's new game - Quantum C... - 7/12/2012 1:11:09 AM   
directorscut

Just done the first generator. Really enjoying it so far. More ways to complete a puzzle than in Portal, which usually had one way to do things.

I don't have a problem with the platforming apart from a) when you press A and the character DOES NOT jump. b) Why do you completely stall when you jump in mid-air having been propelled off a ramp by an object? Laws of physics anyone?

Post #: 22
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Joypad >> Kim "Portal" Swift's new game - Quantum Conundrum Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI