Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Building a PC/Gaming/Developing

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Joypad >> RE: Building a PC/Gaming/Developing Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Building a PC/Gaming/Developing - 20/3/2012 5:59:07 PM   
kata

Had a look at those forums and every time someone asked what monitor to get this one was recommended

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0060LCBRI/ref=asc_df_B0060LCBRI6477306?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&tag=googlecouk06-21&linkCode=asn&creative=22206&creativeASIN=B0060LCBRI

Gonna have to reshuffle my budget, that seems to be the best.

XBL: GeneralLee79
PSN: GeneralLee_UK
Steam: GeneralLee_uk

Lovely detective work.

"Don't buy wigs that come off at the wrong time"

(in reply to Emyr Thy King)
Post #: 31
RE: Building a PC/Gaming/Developing - 20/3/2012 6:42:20 PM   
Harry Tuttle

Well I've just ordered my motherboard, processor and case. I'll leave the Graphics card and RAM till next month and a Blu Ray burner and monitor the month after that. With any luck I'll get as much out of my updated rig* as I did out of my current one (nearly 5 years according to my ebuyer order history).

* I'll be buying another processor towards the end of the year, the i3 I've bought is pretty much a placeholder until I can get an i7 for less than 200 notes.

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Blood Island. So called because it's the exact shape of some blood

(in reply to kata)
Post #: 32
RE: Building a PC/Gaming/Developing - 21/3/2012 10:51:26 AM   
kata

quote:

ORIGINAL: Harry Tuttle

Well I've just ordered my motherboard, processor and case. I'll leave the Graphics card and RAM till next month and a Blu Ray burner and monitor the month after that. With any luck I'll get as much out of my updated rig* as I did out of my current one (nearly 5 years according to my ebuyer order history).

* I'll be buying another processor towards the end of the year, the i3 I've bought is pretty much a placeholder until I can get an i7 for less than 200 notes.

Nice, what did you order?

Lovely detective work.

(in reply to Harry Tuttle)
Post #: 33
RE: Building a PC/Gaming/Developing - 21/3/2012 11:11:05 AM   
Harry Tuttle

quote:

ORIGINAL: kata

quote:

Nice, what did you order?

Nothing special really, the bulk of my budget is being spent on the graphics card. I've decided to cut a few corners temporarily so that I can afford a new monitor. I wasn't going to bother but then what's the point in spending around £200 on a graphics card if my monitor is going to act as a bottleneck anyway.

Motherboard - Asus P8H67 R3 H67

Processor - Intel Core i3 2120 3.3GHz

Case - Coolermaster Elite 330

It looks likely that I'll be getting the ATI 7850 2Gb graphics card although that's not set in stone, I'll see what's available for the £190ish range when I order. Add 8GB of DDR3 1600hz RAM to that and I don't think it'll be struggling too much with any games for a while.

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

(in reply to kata)
Post #: 34
RE: Building a PC/Gaming/Developing - 21/3/2012 3:41:09 PM   
Emyr Thy King

quote:

Had a look at those forums and every time someone asked what monitor to get this one was recommended

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0060LCBRI/ref=asc_df_B0060LCBRI6477306?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&tag=googlecouk06-21&linkCode=asn&creative=22206&creativeASIN=B0060LCBRI

I haven't been able to get detailed specifications on the Hanns G HL225 but the LG IPS225V monitor looks pretty solid and there's more of a reduction on the LG model with 9% off rather than 5%, not a huge amount but it's more. LG are a pretty good brand anyway .

Are you looking into buying a SSD?

I use one for ArmA 2:OA as the disk drive and CPU will give you the biggest performance hits (and I don't use anything like Game Booster either). However, it also means your disk drive won't fragment over time and you don't have de-frag or format once in a while.They're still expensive but so are HDDs since the flooding in the far east stalled production. Worth a look anyway.

I'd also look at controlling you GPU fan(s) to lower temperatures. I use RivaTuner to up my fans between 80%-100% when I'm gaming. Fans are auto controlled by the drivers, but mine tend to hover over the 50% mark, so it's good just to up them to 60-70% on occasion.

< Message edited by Emyr Thy King -- 21/3/2012 3:42:58 PM >

"This whole imbroglio is epiphenomenal"...."demigogic faux egalitarianism" - Will Self

(in reply to kata)
Post #: 35
RE: Building a PC/Gaming/Developing - 21/3/2012 5:17:50 PM   
kata

quote:

ORIGINAL: Emyr Thy King

quote:

I haven't been able to get detailed specifications on the Hanns G HL225 but the LG IPS225V monitor looks pretty solid and there's more of a reduction on the LG model with 9% off rather than 5%, not a huge amount but it's more. LG are a pretty good brand anyway .

I use one for ArmA 2:OA as the disk drive and CPU will give you the biggest performance hits (and I don't use anything like Game Booster either). However, it also means your disk drive won't fragment over time and you don't have de-frag or format once in a while.They're still expensive but so are HDDs since the flooding in the far east stalled production. Worth a look anyway.

I'd also look at controlling you GPU fan(s) to lower temperatures. I use RivaTuner to up my fans between 80%-100% when I'm gaming. Fans are auto controlled by the drivers, but mine tend to hover over the 50% mark, so it's good just to up them to 60-70% on occasion.

Ordered the LG, signed up for the Amazon prime trial to get free next day delivery.

Yeah, I'm on an SSD atm. Got a 60gb SSD for the OS and programs I use a lot and a 500gb sata 3 HDD for storage. Hard drive prices are outrageous atm.

How's Arma 2? Seen it mentioned quite a lot recently. Worth a look?

< Message edited by kata -- 21/3/2012 5:21:09 PM >

Lovely detective work.

Post #: 36
RE: Building a PC/Gaming/Developing - 21/3/2012 5:19:58 PM   
kata

quote:

It looks likely that I'll be getting the ATI 7850 2Gb graphics card although that's not set in stone, I'll see what's available for the £190ish range when I order.

Aria are doing the stock 7850 for 199.99 this week.

http://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Components/Graphics+Cards/GPU+-+AMD/Radeon+HD+7850/VTX3D+Radeon+HD+7850+2048MB+GDDR5+PCI-Express+Graphics+Card+?productId=49126

Should imagine the custom cards will come in a little higher.

Lovely detective work.

Post #: 37
RE: Building a PC/Gaming/Developing - 22/3/2012 10:43:49 AM   
kata

Monitor just arrived, didn't realise how shit my other monitor was.

Lovely detective work.

(in reply to kata)
Post #: 38
RE: Building a PC/Gaming/Developing - 25/3/2012 6:42:34 PM   
Emyr Thy King

quote:

quote:

quote:

Ordered the LG, signed up for the Amazon prime trial to get free next day delivery.

Yeah, I'm on an SSD atm. Got a 60gb SSD for the OS and programs I use a lot and a 500gb sata 3 HDD for storage. Hard drive prices are outrageous atm.

What SSD do you have? I have the Corsair F60 60GB one.

Yeah ArmA 2 is well worth it mate. I would suggest you buy both ArmA 2 and Operation Arrowhead as the latter is a stand-alone expansion. But you can combine both to have Combined Operations. Which gives you the USMC and additional content. It actually makes sense even if you want to play the campaign of ArmA 2 as OA is smoother in performance, even with the Chernarus island from ArmA 2. There's also a fantastic player and mod community for the game. Tons of content released, including islands, addons and there's even addon packs where people have created infantry, tanks and other units for other armed forces. It's quite immense. Important caveats, you do need a decent PC for it but you have a good machine so it shouldn't be an issue. The game has a steeper learning curve compared to Battlefield 3 or CoD. You can't rush into situations with all guns blazing, you can only take a few bullets before being killed. It is a military simulator so you're dealing with 200km² islands. Real ballistics and physics. The control system is totally different to your typical FPS and there is a steeper learning curve to your typical game. But if you stick with it, it's very rewarding. I would start a thread on it but I doubt most would be patient or interested enough in it. Just to add, there is another stand-alone expansion called Reinforcements which interestingly has a British Armed Forces campaign in addition to Private Military Company.

ArmA website

BI forums

< Message edited by Emyr Thy King -- 25/3/2012 6:44:15 PM >

"This whole imbroglio is epiphenomenal"...."demigogic faux egalitarianism" - Will Self

(in reply to kata)
Post #: 39
RE: Building a PC/Gaming/Developing - 25/3/2012 9:12:44 PM   
kata

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

What SSD do you have? I have the Corsair F60 60GB one.

Yeah ArmA 2 is well worth it mate. I would suggest you buy both ArmA 2 and Operation Arrowhead as the latter is a stand-alone expansion. But you can combine both to have Combined Operations. Which gives you the USMC and additional content. It actually makes sense even if you want to play the campaign of ArmA 2 as OA is smoother in performance, even with the Chernarus island from ArmA 2. There's also a fantastic player and mod community for the game. Tons of content released, including islands, addons and there's even addon packs where people have created infantry, tanks and other units for other armed forces. It's quite immense. Important caveats, you do need a decent PC for it but you have a good machine so it shouldn't be an issue. The game has a steeper learning curve compared to Battlefield 3 or CoD. You can't rush into situations with all guns blazing, you can only take a few bullets before being killed. It is a military simulator so you're dealing with 200km² islands. Real ballistics and physics. The control system is totally different to your typical FPS and there is a steeper learning curve to your typical game. But if you stick with it, it's very rewarding. I would start a thread on it but I doubt most would be patient or interested enough in it. Just to add, there is another stand-alone expansion called Reinforcements which interestingly has a British Armed Forces campaign in addition to Private Military Company.

ArmA website

BI forums

I have an OCZ Agility 60gb.

Was a massive fan of the original Operation Flashpoint and to a lesser extent it's console sequels (even though they were made by different devs they were still more realistic than most console war games. Played them in co-op). Going to have to check Arma 2 out I think, I have a friend thinking of building a PC for Arma 3 later this year. Should still be able to run that on relatively high settings on this PC when it comes out.

Lovely detective work.

Post #: 40
RE: Building a PC/Gaming/Developing - 27/3/2012 1:26:01 PM   
Emyr Thy King

The original Operation Flashpoint is pretty special. Its 80's cold war setting and the look of the islands gives it an eerie feel. I remember when I first played the game, I was in awe at how realistic and immersive it seemed. Definitely a leader in its field.

I've tried OP: DR and I couldn't quite take to it. I've found the graphics to be a little dull and it just doesn't have the same level of immersion as the ArmA games. Codemasters made a major mistake there I think. ArmA 3 looks pretty cracking actually, here's the website:

ArmA 3

I'm just hoping that this time B.I will have written into the net code multi-threading support and use of more RAM. It's processing power (or the lack of it) which kills game performance for most (having to render foilage etc) but as it stands. Their ArmA games have not been written to take advantage of multi-core CPUs. So one's hopeful! But you should check out some of the screenshots:

If you like OFP mate then you will certainly like ArmA 2 et al. It is an improvement over the original game where you have things such as join-in-progress for multiplayer games, you have the Warfare mode (capture the island) included and the graphics are of course a little nicer. . Once you're suited and booted up. PM me and we'll arrange to have a game online sometime.

< Message edited by Emyr Thy King -- 27/3/2012 1:27:20 PM >

(in reply to kata)
Post #: 41
RE: Building a PC/Gaming/Developing - 29/3/2012 2:02:36 PM   
Harry Tuttle

Yay, all my parts have arrived so I'll be building me my new machine tonight. Not really looking forward to having to go through the Windows install again (it'll be my 4th or 5th time this year after all the upgrades I've done for family members) but at least I'll get to start using my PC to play new games again, the last new release I played on it was Shogun 2: Total War and it crawled to an almost standstill during the battles.

Roll on September and Borderlands 2

Acting...Naturaaal

Post #: 42
RE: Building a PC/Gaming/Developing - 2/4/2012 1:44:32 PM   
the anomaly

What'd you think then guys?

Max spend £700 or so ... anything I should change?

Need to get this sorted ... I just remembered all the bank holidays. If I could order all this stuff and build over the long weekend that would be awesome.

Asus M5A78L-M/USB3 Motherboard (Socket AM3+, Up to 16GB DDR3, USB 3.0, uATX)
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Gigabyte-XKT-1155-Z68AP-D3-Motherboard-Rev/dp/B0054X4I4M/ref=sr_1_19?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1330680050&sr=1-19
Antec Nine Hundred Ultimate Gamer Case
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Antec-Nine-Hundred-Ultimate-Gamer/dp/B000JMJS7A/ref=wl_it_dp_o_npd?ie=UTF8&coliid=I2766RB50TSY15&colid=D4VLPRNY1SMT
EVGA 01G-P3-1567-KR Nvidia GTX560Ti DS SuperClocked 1GB 256-Bit DDR5 Graphics Card
http://www.amazon.co.uk/01G-P3-1567-KR-GTX560Ti-SuperClocked-256-Bit-Graphics/dp/B0050IA9OO/ref=wl_it_dp_o_npd?ie=UTF8&coliid=I3OPII84GEBTFA&colid=D4VLPRNY1SMT
OCZ 600W ModXStream Pro Power Supply - UK
http://www.amazon.co.uk/OCZ-600W-ModXStream-Power-Supply/dp/B001GLFD54/ref=wl_it_dp_o_npd?ie=UTF8&coliid=I29DBK7RKRF1FI&colid=D4VLPRNY1SMT
Intel Sandybridge i5-2500K Unlocked Core i5 Quad-Core Processor (3.30GHz, 6MB Cache, Socket 1155)
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Intel-Sandybridge-i5-2500K-Quad-Core-Processor/dp/B004FA8NX2/ref=wl_it_dp_o_npd?ie=UTF8&coliid=I24PXSH14YKEE7&colid=D4VLPRNY1SMT
Seagate ST2000DL003 Barracuda Green 3.5-inch 2TB SATA 6 Gb/s Drive (64MB Buffer,5900RPM)
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Seagate-ST2000DL003-Barracuda-3-5-inch-5900RPM/dp/B004C0WVP6/ref=wl_it_dp_o_npd?ie=UTF8&coliid=I3HIW7AWFNHTD5&colid=D4VLPRNY1SMT

RAM
http://www.amazon.co.uk/G-Skill-Ripjaws-Sandybridge-Platforms-PC12800/dp/B004HZG4ZO/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1333372129&sr=8-2

< Message edited by the anomaly -- 2/4/2012 2:09:50 PM >

Post #: 43
RE: Building a PC/Gaming/Developing - 2/4/2012 2:05:30 PM   
the anomaly

Mates suggesting a Solid State Drive. So I store the programs/os on that and then use my other drive for everything else?

Worth it? Any reccomendations.

I'm relying on you guys quite a bit ...

(in reply to the anomaly)
Post #: 44
RE: Building a PC/Gaming/Developing - 2/4/2012 2:07:01 PM   
Harry Tuttle

Are you not getting any RAM for it?

I'd love to get a SSD myself but I just wouldn't be able to justify the cost to myself (let alone the missus). I have been eyeing up a hybrid drive off ebuyer for a decent price but it still costs nearly twice as much as other same size normal SATA III Hard drives and to be honest booting up/loading games quickly isn't that important to me at the moment.

< Message edited by Harry Tuttle -- 2/4/2012 2:11:25 PM >

Acting...Naturaaal

Post #: 45
RE: Building a PC/Gaming/Developing - 2/4/2012 2:09:46 PM   
st3veebee

quote:

ORIGINAL: the anomaly

Mates suggesting a Solid State Drive. So I store the programs/os on that and then use my other drive for everything else?

I work in IT and we just got a shipment of SSD Dell laptops in: the difference is very noticeable especially in loading memory heavy programs and booting up.

As for those specific "boot up" seperate SSDs: it's entirely up to you. Personally I would fork out for just a larger SSD alone, but that's me.

Latest Films:

Two days in New York: 4/5

Prometheus: 3.5/5

Abe Lincoln: VH 3/5

Twin Peaks: FWWM 3.5/5

Post #: 46
RE: Building a PC/Gaming/Developing - 2/4/2012 2:11:34 PM   
the anomaly

quote:

ORIGINAL: st3veebee

quote:

I work in IT and we just got a shipment of SSD Dell laptops in: the difference is very noticeable especially in loading memory heavy programs and booting up.

As for those specific "boot up" seperate SSDs: it's entirely up to you. Personally I would fork out for just a larger SSD alone, but that's me.

HMMMMM I'll have to check costs etc.

quote:

Are you not getting any RAM for it?

Added it at the bottom.

Opinions. Advice. Recommended retailers.

(in reply to st3veebee)
Post #: 47
RE: Building a PC/Gaming/Developing - 2/4/2012 8:39:34 PM   
the anomaly

A SSD would be quite useful. Quite a bit of loading using the unreal editor (boot up, building lighting, building the level etc).
What size would be worth getting? 60 - 120GB? More?

Another thing to think about!

Post #: 48
RE: Building a PC/Gaming/Developing - 2/4/2012 8:55:05 PM   
Chief Wiggum

quote:

not being an expert, but are your motherboard and cpu compatible?

from the looks of it you've chosen a board for an AMD cpu, rather than an intel 1155 one you've chosen*

as for retailers if you put in the parts to http://pcpartpicker.com/uk/ it will tell you the cheapest place to get them (although it doesn't have aria.co.uk which is pretty cheap too)

one of the bonuses from that site is that it will guide you down the right path compatibility wise, has a lot of user reviews for parts etc

*I'll also note, from my research, that should you want to annoy apple fanboys, the i5 2500k is recommended for hackintosh projects too, so you could go for a win-7/OSx dual boot

The Empire Forum Photo Competition - join now for fun and profit. okay no profit, or fun. but do it anyway!

Post #: 49
RE: Building a PC/Gaming/Developing - 2/4/2012 9:07:35 PM   
kata

Socket AM3 is for AMD chips, for the i5 you want Socket 1155.

If you're going to spend £90 on a case I'd look at a newer case, something like this has the latest design features:

http://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Components/Cases/Midi+Tower/Corsair+Carbide+500R+White+Midi+Tower+Chassis+w%2F+USB3.0+?productId=45692

I have an SSD for my OS and I love it, can't see myself ever going back. Also it might be worth looking at the 448 core version of that graphics card if you can get it sub 200.

£690 before delivery:

Case
Motherboard
CPU
RAM
GFX card
PSU
HDD
SSD

Something like that would be sweet.

< Message edited by kata -- 2/4/2012 9:11:33 PM >

Lovely detective work.

Post #: 50
RE: Building a PC/Gaming/Developing - 2/4/2012 11:58:45 PM   
the anomaly

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chief Wiggum

quote:

not being an expert, but are your motherboard and cpu compatible?

from the looks of it you've chosen a board for an AMD cpu, rather than an intel 1155 one you've chosen*

as for retailers if you put in the parts to http://pcpartpicker.com/uk/ it will tell you the cheapest place to get them (although it doesn't have aria.co.uk which is pretty cheap too)

one of the bonuses from that site is that it will guide you down the right path compatibility wise, has a lot of user reviews for parts etc

*I'll also note, from my research, that should you want to annoy apple fanboys, the i5 2500k is recommended for hackintosh projects too, so you could go for a win-7/OSx dual boot

Cheers for all that. I'll check that shop search link out.

Yeah your probably right about the mother board. Wasn't sure about what I was looking for to be honest.

quote:

Socket AM3 is for AMD chips, for the i5 you want Socket 1155.

If you're going to spend £90 on a case I'd look at a newer case, something like this has the latest design features:

http://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Components/Cases/Midi+Tower/Corsair+Carbide+500R+White+Midi+Tower+Chassis+w%2F+USB3.0+?productId=45692

I have an SSD for my OS and I love it, can't see myself ever going back. Also it might be worth looking at the 448 core version of that graphics card if you can get it sub 200.

£690 before delivery:

Case
Motherboard
CPU
RAM
GFX card
PSU
HDD
SSD

Something like that would be sweet.

Seriously much appreciated. As I said I'm not holding fast on my choices. I've just got a spend limit of about £700.

I forget I'd still need to buy another monitor, keyboard mouse and OS after that ... yikes ...

(in reply to Chief Wiggum)
Post #: 51
RE: Building a PC/Gaming/Developing - 9/4/2012 2:10:58 PM   
Emyr Thy King

To save yourself money, you can buy the cheapest keyboard and mouse you can find in PC World or Comet. Or of course shop online, as it'll probably be cheaper. I have the Logitech MX518 mouse and the G11 keyboard. They're gaming peripherals and therefore cost a bit more, but the G11 is handy if you want to assign macros (set of commands/key combinations) to a single key with specially assigned 'G' keys. Plus there's a gaming switch which disables the Windows key as apparently some would accidentally press it during play, so no interruption. So I think such a keyboard may appeal to you. The mouse has 'back and forward' buttons on the side, handy for browsing. You can set the cursor speed for the mouse with handy +/- buttons and there's a button for switching windows, I think you need to install software for that feature.

As for an O/S. You can buy an OEM copy which means you just get the disc with no retail package but you can't re-install windows with it. It's a one-time install, system builders use it when building a rig. It's a little cheaper but I would suggest going for a retail copy if you can.

You've picked 8GB RAM which is more than enough, I'd keep an eye out for the maximum amount of RAM for whichever motherboard you choose. I think the max at the moment is about 32GB and something to bear in mind is if you were to upgrade your RAM to say 24GB in future (for instance if you were doing a lot of video editing, 3D modelling etc); you'd want Windows 7 Pro, as Premium will only handle a maximum of 16GB. You know that to be able to utilise more than 4GB (or 3.5GB technically) you need to install the 64-bit version of Windows always. A retail copy will always have both 32-bit and 64-bit versions. I'm not sure whether an OEM disc will only have one or the other (edit: I just checked, yes it's just the one version).

Let us know how you get on.

I anticipate full-on envy.

< Message edited by Emyr Thy King -- 9/4/2012 5:47:49 PM >

Post #: 52
RE: Building a PC/Gaming/Developing - 9/4/2012 4:49:44 PM   
kata

Just bought this mouse, was 60 quid when it was first released.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/SteelSeries-Xai-Laser-Gaming-Mouse/dp/B002J9G5B8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1333986518&sr=8-1

It's as good, if not better, than the Razor Deathadder it's replacing.

Lovely detective work.

Post #: 53
RE: Building a PC/Gaming/Developing - 9/4/2012 4:52:45 PM   
Harry Tuttle

quote:

Just bought this mouse, was 60 quid when it was first released.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/SteelSeries-Xai-Laser-Gaming-Mouse/dp/B002J9G5B8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1333986518&sr=8-1

It's as good, if not better, than the Razor Deathadder it's replacing.

Nice. I'm on the lookout for another Mouse myself. How's the monitor you bought treating you? I'll be buying a new monitor myself this coming payday and I'd liked the look of the one you bought.

Installing Witcher 2 at the mo. It'll be the first game I've run on my new setup so I'm quietly excited.

Acting...Naturaaal

(in reply to kata)
Post #: 54
RE: Building a PC/Gaming/Developing - 9/4/2012 5:46:37 PM   
Emyr Thy King

Looks like a good mouse. What's interesting is it has two buttons on the left and right-hand side. Given the shape of the mouse and the buttons on both sides, I gather it's designed for both left and right handed users. Pretty handy as most mice are designed for right-handed folk. Good price there too.

quote:

Nice. I'm on the lookout for another Mouse myself. How's the monitor you bought treating you? I'll be buying a new monitor myself this coming payday and I'd liked the look of the one you bought.

Installing Witcher 2 at the mo. It'll be the first game I've run on my new setup so I'm quietly excited.

Post some pictures when the wee wife's away (no misogyny intended) and let us see what it looks like. Do you find a major difference with the higher speed RAM? I've only ever used 1333Mhz as the motherboards I've gone for usually have (O.C) next to the higher speeds, so I assume in such a case some tweaking is needed. I'm probably playing it too safely there. Hopefully yours is as fast as a speeding train.

< Message edited by Emyr Thy King -- 9/4/2012 5:54:47 PM >

(in reply to kata)
Post #: 55
RE: Building a PC/Gaming/Developing - 9/4/2012 8:10:56 PM   
kata

Yeah my GF is left handed so the mouse is working out well.

Really happy with the monitor, massive step up in quality from my last one picture quality wise. The stand is a little flimsy though, no biggie if you have a stable desk but if not I reckon it could be prone to wobble.

Just started designing my own desk, when Guild Wars 2 comes out I'm planning on breaking out the old pc and monitor and playing it alongside my GF so I need a desk that can handle 2 people. Worked out around 200cm is probably best for the room we have. Got the parts picked out from Ikea and B&Q, Going to custom build the desk and monitor stand. Just have to wait and see if GW2 is worth playing now.

Lovely detective work.

Post #: 56
RE: Building a PC/Gaming/Developing - 14/4/2012 3:12:55 PM   
the anomaly

quote:

To save yourself money, you can buy the cheapest keyboard and mouse you can find in PC World or Comet. Or of course shop online, as it'll probably be cheaper. I have the Logitech MX518 mouse and the G11 keyboard. They're gaming peripherals and therefore cost a bit more, but the G11 is handy if you want to assign macros (set of commands/key combinations) to a single key with specially assigned 'G' keys. Plus there's a gaming switch which disables the Windows key as apparently some would accidentally press it during play, so no interruption. So I think such a keyboard may appeal to you. The mouse has 'back and forward' buttons on the side, handy for browsing. You can set the cursor speed for the mouse with handy +/- buttons and there's a button for switching windows, I think you need to install software for that feature.

As for an O/S. You can buy an OEM copy which means you just get the disc with no retail package but you can't re-install windows with it. It's a one-time install, system builders use it when building a rig. It's a little cheaper but I would suggest going for a retail copy if you can.

You've picked 8GB RAM which is more than enough, I'd keep an eye out for the maximum amount of RAM for whichever motherboard you choose. I think the max at the moment is about 32GB and something to bear in mind is if you were to upgrade your RAM to say 24GB in future (for instance if you were doing a lot of video editing, 3D modelling etc); you'd want Windows 7 Pro, as Premium will only handle a maximum of 16GB. You know that to be able to utilise more than 4GB (or 3.5GB technically) you need to install the 64-bit version of Windows always. A retail copy will always have both 32-bit and 64-bit versions. I'm not sure whether an OEM disc will only have one or the other (edit: I just checked, yes it's just the one version).

Let us know how you get on.

I anticipate full-on envy.

I've kinda ordered everything ...

Apart from the OS as I thought I'd have one spare.

Thinking of getting the OEM one but Pro. It's alot cheaper than the consumer one. Are there any other drawbacks apart from the one time install?

The full list is coming soon ...

< Message edited by the anomaly -- 14/4/2012 3:13:54 PM >

Post #: 57
RE: Building a PC/Gaming/Developing - 28/4/2012 10:04:31 PM   
the anomaly

HDD
Item: WD 1TB Caviar Green Hard Drive - 3.5" SATA-III - 64MB Cache - WD10EZRX

Case

Item: NZXT H2 Black Mid Tower Case

RAM
Item: G-Skill 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1600mhz Sniper Memory Kit CL9 (9-9-9-24) 1.25V

Keyboard + Mouse
Item: Logitech MK120 Wired Slim Keyboard and Optical Mouse

DVD drive
Item: Samsung SH-222BB 22x DVD±RW DL & RAM SATA Optical Drive - OEM Black

CPU
Intel Sandybridge i5-2500K Unlocked Core i5 Quad-Core Processor (3.30GHz, 6MB Cache, Socket 1155)

CPU Fan
Item: Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro rev 2 Socket 775, 1156, 1155, 1366, AM2, AM3 Heatpipe CPU Cooler

Motherboard
Gigabyte XKT-1155 Z68AP-D3 Motherboard (Rev 1.0)

Graphics Card
MSI nVIDIA GTX560Ti OC 880MHz 4200MHz 256Bit DDR5 TWIN FROZR II Graphics Card (1024MB, PCI-E, 2xDVI, 2xHDMI)

SSD
Crucial CT128M4SSD2 128GB M4 SSD

PSU
Corsair CMPSU-600CXV2UK Builder Series 600W Power Supply

OS
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium with Service Pack 1, 64-bit, English, 1 Pack, DSP OEI (PC) (This OEM software is intended for system builders only)

Spent around £850 in the end ...

< Message edited by the anomaly -- 28/4/2012 10:08:29 PM >

Post #: 58
RE: Building a PC/Gaming/Developing - 28/4/2012 11:08:21 PM   
Emyr Thy King

Sorry it took me a while to get back to you old boy. GCHQ had trouble opening holdalls. As far as I'm aware. The only major drawback with an OEM copy of Windows is with the re-install. Even if you were to re-install it on the same hardware. You'd probably get a message in the Windows 'system' window telling you, you need to contact Microsoft and get a new copy etc. Plus you don't get the retail package (which is scant anyway) - just the disk. So to answer your questiom properly, there's no further downside to it. Providing you're happy with the idea that you'd need another copy of Windows for a re-install. Unless of course you need to change a faulty component. I'm not sure if Microsoft are much stricter on the licensing now but I know that in the past, people would phone Microsoft and tell them some hardware was faulty and had to be changed (quite a few were tellings fibs) and they'd re-activate/verify their windows. At the end of it, it's still a copy of windows and it is cheaper. So if something does go wrong. You could just phone them up. The only other alternatives would be to get a retail copy (you'd be spending a lot more than you would have originally) or go for an open source O/S such as Linux. I think they're generally more user friendly these days. I see you've bought it anyway, I'm sure it'll run absolutely fine for you mate. You ought to post some screenshots of the games you've been playing, let us know what it looks like .

Post #: 59
RE: Building a PC/Gaming/Developing - 2/7/2012 12:18:43 PM   
paulyboy

Thought I'd post this article from Digital Foundry over at Eurogamer, where they've basically endevoured to build a real console beating alternative for under £300. It's quite an interesting read, having been out of the PC building game for a couple of years now I hadn't really quite appreciated what could be had for this sort of money nowadays.

It's certainly not going to suit those who want their games running in 2560x1600 with every setting turned to 11, but for those with more modest requirements it's the kind of system that will happily run the current crop of games at 720p with 60+fps, some games even more so at 1080p.

Well worth a read if your after PC gaming on a budget: Click Me!

"Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory lasts forever!"

Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Joypad >> RE: Building a PC/Gaming/Developing Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI