Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

HOBO WITH A SHOTGUN

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> HOBO WITH A SHOTGUN Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
HOBO WITH A SHOTGUN - 25/1/2012 12:12:22 AM   
Snake-Eyes

I just watched a crazy, insane and ridiculously fun film called HOBO WITH A SHOTGUN. I'm gonna steal my good mate evil bill's mini-review (he won't mind!)

quote:

ORIGINAL: evil bill

Hobo With A Shotgun 2011
A train rolls into its final stop,out of one of the freight cars jumps a weary-eyed transient with dreams of a fresh start in a new town. Instead, he lands right in the middle of an urban hellhole, a place where the cops are as crooked as the gangsters.An urban landscape filled with armed robbers, abused prostitutes and even a pedophile Santa,and where the underprivileged masses are treated like shit.A city where crime reigns supreme, and the man pulling the strings is known only as "The Drake." Along with his two cold-blooded and sadistic sons, Ivan and Slick, he rules with an iron fist, and nobody dares fuck with The Drake.Until Now.

Director Jason Eisener's blood-soaked debut feature film,is ailmed at fans of the over the top gore fests of the late 70's early 80's.The film is simultaneously original and a perfect throwback to these blood-splattered movies,yet it also ups the ante in a major way.And it also has Rutger Hauer's who just steals the film in what is his best appearance in a film since The Hitcher,in a display of brutal ass-kicking and name-taking that is not to be missed.

It never lets up from start to finish,never giving you time to poke holes in the script,or in the acting,that is pretty ham/tounge in cheak.Like Brian Downey,Gregory Smith,and Nick Bateman as the Father and son's who rule the streets,and are great bad guys,and seem to enjoy every second of screen time.Or the stunning Molly Dunsworth as a prostitute named Abby is great fun too as a nut set for total destruction.Like the acting the whole film is just clean over the top mayhem,with full on gore and violence,which is at times so insane you wonder if it might have gone to far.But it's meant to be this way,this is what us fans of Grindhouse revenge flicks love to see,and if that is your cup of bloody madness,this hits the mark.7/10

Thank you bill.

I'm gonna add my own views here - first of all, I followed the whole GRINDHOUSE ride. Watched the Rodriguez/Tarantino feature in it's entirety in New York in 2007. PLANET TERROR was great. DEATH PROOF was f**king DULL. I enjoyed the fake trailers (yikes! I actually enjoyed something directed by Edgar Wright - his DON'T! trailer). All in all, it was an interesting experiment. Then came that 'competition winner' trailer by Canadian fan Jason Eisener. I saw that trailer on YouTube and thought it was cool. When I heard there was gonna be a feature-length version starring the legend that is Rutger Hauer, I thought it was another interesting idea that would be worth a look. Did it play in UK cinemas? I don't even recall. Anyway, as I said I just finished watching the blu-ray and it was just a CRAZY, over-the-top, violent adventure. I must add that yesterday, I watched Robert Rodriguez's MACHETE and it just didn't work; gone was all the promised OTT violence and 'grindhouse' sleaze, it was just a bore to watch. However, HOBO got everything right - the constant gore, the creative deaths, the comic-book characters, the overall 'camp'-feel of the piece all fits right in to that canon of 70's/80's exploitation films that I used to watch on video. I really dig the exagerrated, 'over saturated', pastel-colour look of the piece too.

Great fun! And man... one of Snake-Eyes' all-time favourite songs over the end credits!

< Message edited by Snake-Eyes -- 25/1/2012 12:19:59 AM >

"When you have to shoot, shoot don't talk."

http://www.expendablespremiere.com/index.html
Post #: 1
RE: HOBO WITH A SHOTGUN - 25/1/2012 12:18:04 AM   
MonsterCat

Snake Eyes enjoyed something by Edgar Wright? Cats and dogs living together, mass hysteria etc.

But yeah, Hobo With a Shotgun is a ton of fun. For me it's the only extension of a Grindhouse trailer that truly works. Didn't like Machete or the Tarantino/Rodriguez team-up.

< Message edited by MonsterCat -- 25/1/2012 12:19:55 AM >

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to Snake-Eyes)
Post #: 2
RE: HOBO WITH A SHOTGUN - 25/1/2012 2:19:34 AM   
garvielloken

I love it when the Plague are hanging people in the hospital corridors. Great John Carpenter style score during that scene too. The pedo Santa was pretty hilarious and out of all the grindhouse type films that have been released recently this is easily the best. And yeah, Machete was a major let down. Starts off great but quickly turns into a snooze fest.

Exactly six miles north of Skagg Mountain in the Valley of Pain, there lives an evil devilmonster. His name is Bingo Gas Station Motel Cheeseburger With A Side Of Aircraft Noise And You'll Be Gary Indiana.

Razzle them, dazzle them. Razzle dazzle them.

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 3
RE: HOBO WITH A SHOTGUN - 26/1/2012 7:08:51 PM   
DazDaMan

Aye, 'tis a cracking, batshit crazy movie from start to finish. When I first watched it with a mate, we knew from the opening death scene that we would not be disappointed.

The dialogue is deliciously OTT, too:

"It's a beautiful day for a skate-rape!"

You fucking fuckers are gonna do what I say or I'm going to stick my foot so far up your assholes you'll rue the day you crawled out of your mother's twat!

(in reply to garvielloken)
Post #: 4
RE: HOBO WITH A SHOTGUN - 26/1/2012 7:31:08 PM   
evil bill

quote:

ORIGINAL: Snake-Eyes

I just watched a crazy, insane and ridiculously fun film called HOBO WITH A SHOTGUN. I'm gonna steal my good mate evil bill's mini-review (he won't mind!)

quote:

ORIGINAL: evil bill

Hobo With A Shotgun 2011
A train rolls into its final stop,out of one of the freight cars jumps a weary-eyed transient with dreams of a fresh start in a new town. Instead, he lands right in the middle of an urban hellhole, a place where the cops are as crooked as the gangsters.An urban landscape filled with armed robbers, abused prostitutes and even a pedophile Santa,and where the underprivileged masses are treated like shit.A city where crime reigns supreme, and the man pulling the strings is known only as "The Drake." Along with his two cold-blooded and sadistic sons, Ivan and Slick, he rules with an iron fist, and nobody dares fuck with The Drake.Until Now.

Director Jason Eisener's blood-soaked debut feature film,is ailmed at fans of the over the top gore fests of the late 70's early 80's.The film is simultaneously original and a perfect throwback to these blood-splattered movies,yet it also ups the ante in a major way.And it also has Rutger Hauer's who just steals the film in what is his best appearance in a film since The Hitcher,in a display of brutal ass-kicking and name-taking that is not to be missed.

It never lets up from start to finish,never giving you time to poke holes in the script,or in the acting,that is pretty ham/tounge in cheak.Like Brian Downey,Gregory Smith,and Nick Bateman as the Father and son's who rule the streets,and are great bad guys,and seem to enjoy every second of screen time.Or the stunning Molly Dunsworth as a prostitute named Abby is great fun too as a nut set for total destruction.Like the acting the whole film is just clean over the top mayhem,with full on gore and violence,which is at times so insane you wonder if it might have gone to far.But it's meant to be this way,this is what us fans of Grindhouse revenge flicks love to see,and if that is your cup of bloody madness,this hits the mark.7/10

Thank you bill.

I'm gonna add my own views here - first of all, I followed the whole GRINDHOUSE ride. Watched the Rodriguez/Tarantino feature in it's entirety in New York in 2007. PLANET TERROR was great. DEATH PROOF was f**king DULL. I enjoyed the fake trailers (yikes! I actually enjoyed something directed by Edgar Wright - his DON'T! trailer). All in all, it was an interesting experiment. Then came that 'competition winner' trailer by Canadian fan Jason Eisener. I saw that trailer on YouTube and thought it was cool. When I heard there was gonna be a feature-length version starring the legend that is Rutger Hauer, I thought it was another interesting idea that would be worth a look. Did it play in UK cinemas? I don't even recall. Anyway, as I said I just finished watching the blu-ray and it was just a CRAZY, over-the-top, violent adventure. I must add that yesterday, I watched Robert Rodriguez's MACHETE and it just didn't work; gone was all the promised OTT violence and 'grindhouse' sleaze, it was just a bore to watch. However, HOBO got everything right - the constant gore, the creative deaths, the comic-book characters, the overall 'camp'-feel of the piece all fits right in to that canon of 70's/80's exploitation films that I used to watch on video. I really dig the exagerrated, 'over saturated', pastel-colour look of the piece too.

Great fun! And man... one of Snake-Eyes' all-time favourite songs over the end credits!

What do you mean i won't mind,"Where's me fucking shotgun!!!!!"

"You listen to me now,i will find you and i will kill you!"

(in reply to Snake-Eyes)
Post #: 5
RE: HOBO WITH A SHOTGUN - 26/1/2012 10:17:20 PM   
Invader_Ace

I hated it.  Massive let down.  It's basically any random Troma film, but that somehow bagged a star and theatrical release.
What really sets it apart from any of the (better) Troma films?

Although, The Plague hang-man gun was awesome.

(in reply to Snake-Eyes)
Post #: 6
HOBO WITH A SHOTGUN - 27/1/2012 1:11:52 PM   
Snake-Eyes

quote:

ORIGINAL: Invader_Ace

I hated it.  Massive let down. It's basically any random Troma film, but that somehow bagged a star and theatrical release.
What really sets it apart from any of the (better) Troma films?

Although, The Plague hang-man gun was awesome.

I think that's why it worked for me Ace, it felt more 'grindhouse' than MACHETE and certainly more than the pi$$-poor, bore-fest that was DEATH PROOF. I mean, ya can't get more sleazy fun than Troma Films now can ya?

(in reply to Invader_Ace)
Post #: 7
RE: HOBO WITH A SHOTGUN - 27/1/2012 1:43:42 PM   
kargon

Preffered Machette over this, but still good, Death Proof was wank, apart from the end i think, only watched it once. But i do love my Troma

"I SAY WHAT I LIKE AND I LIKE WHAT I BLOODY WELL SAY".

"WHAT THE FUCK DOES ANYTHING HAVE TO DO WITH VIETNAM?"

"YOU BETTER BE PUTTING AWAY THAT BLADE, OR YOU WON'T BELIEVE WHAT HAPPENS NEXT, EVEN WHILE IT'S HAPPENING"

(in reply to Snake-Eyes)
Post #: 8
HOBO WITH A SHOTGUN - 28/1/2012 10:27:23 AM   
Snake-Eyes

(in reply to kargon)
Post #: 9
RE: HOBO WITH A SHOTGUN - 28/1/2012 1:34:10 PM   
DazDaMan

There needs to be a film about The Plague!

You fucking fuckers are gonna do what I say or I'm going to stick my foot so far up your assholes you'll rue the day you crawled out of your mother's twat!

(in reply to Snake-Eyes)
Post #: 10
RE: HOBO WITH A SHOTGUN - 31/1/2012 8:45:08 PM   
Snake-Eyes

quote:

ORIGINAL: DazDaMan

There needs to be a film about The Plague!

Did you see the 'alternate ending' Daz...?

*possible spolier!* -
It's a short clip but we see Abby being transformed and taking Grinder's place in The Plague!

(in reply to DazDaMan)
Post #: 11
RE: HOBO WITH A SHOTGUN - 31/1/2012 8:53:30 PM   
DazDaMan

Umm.... don't believe I did! Guess what I'm gonna have to watch later...!

(in reply to Snake-Eyes)
Post #: 12
HOBO WITH A SHOTGUN - 2/2/2012 10:19:51 AM   
Snake-Eyes

"They're gonna make comic-books outta my hate crimes!!"

(in reply to DazDaMan)
Post #: 13
RE: HOBO WITH A SHOTGUN - 3/2/2012 11:05:43 AM   
Scott_

"Jerk on this you child molesting shit-licker!"

"You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend: Those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig."

Check out my top 21 films - http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3188740

360 Gamertag - SmokinFuzz

(in reply to Snake-Eyes)
Post #: 14
HOBO WITH A SHOTGUN - 6/2/2012 6:18:57 AM   
Snake-Eyes

"I'm gonna sleep in your bloody carcasses tonight!"

(in reply to Scott_)
Post #: 15
RE: HOBO WITH A SHOTGUN - 6/2/2012 7:07:47 AM   
DazDaMan

"Lock him up with the sodomites and get me the goddamn chief of police!"

(in reply to Snake-Eyes)
Post #: 16
HOBO WITH A SHOTGUN - 7/2/2012 8:07:07 PM   
Snake-Eyes

"WHOOO!!!! It's a beautiful day for a skate-rape!!"

(in reply to DazDaMan)
Post #: 17
RE: HOBO WITH A SHOTGUN - 7/2/2012 8:25:18 PM   
DazDaMan

"Welcome to Fucktown."

(in reply to Snake-Eyes)
Post #: 18
RE: HOBO WITH A SHOTGUN - 8/2/2012 8:15:56 PM   
Cool Breeze

Well it took about 14 years, but i finally watched a movie last night that was even worse than Batman And Robin.Yep, i watched Hobo With A Shotgun and it was the biggest piece of plotless,badly acted,TRASH that i have ever seen in my life!

If the filmakers set out to make an immensely crap film to see how bad they could make it then they succeeded!

And for the record, i enjoyed Machete and Death Proof.

'' Iv played Oskar Schindler, Michael Collins, Rob Roy Mcgregor, even ZEUS for gods sake! No one is going to believe me to be a green grocer! ''

(in reply to DazDaMan)
Post #: 19
HOBO WITH A SHOTGUN - 21/2/2012 5:05:59 PM   
Snake-Eyes

Got a message over on FB last night - one of my nephews and his mates watched HOBO WITH A SHOTGUN for the first time and they all loved it! He's been texting me random quotes from the film all day

< Message edited by Snake-Eyes -- 21/2/2012 5:06:21 PM >

(in reply to Cool Breeze)
Post #: 20
RE: HOBO WITH A SHOTGUN - 21/2/2012 6:23:40 PM   
Shifty Bench

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze

Well it took about 14 years, but i finally watched a movie last night that was even worse than Batman And Robin.Yep, i watched Hobo With A Shotgun and it was the biggest piece of plotless,badly acted,TRASH that i have ever seen in my life!

If the filmakers set out to make an immensely crap film to see how bad they could make it then they succeeded!

You kind of posted this in the wrong forum then, didn't you?

< Message edited by Shifty Bench -- 21/2/2012 6:24:17 PM >

Extended Edition Podcast- Episode 46:Threads Of Destiny (Star Wars Fan Film)

Post #: 21
RE: HOBO WITH A SHOTGUN - 21/2/2012 8:16:12 PM   
Cool Breeze

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shifty Bench

quote:

You kind of posted this in the wrong forum then, didn't you?

Well its not uncommon for forum members to criticise a movie in the favourite films section (See the Star Wars thread).Dont worry though, im not gonna clog up this thread with my hatred for this film.Just posting my thoughts and will now leave.

'' Iv played Oskar Schindler, Michael Collins, Rob Roy Mcgregor, even ZEUS for gods sake! No one is going to believe me to be a green grocer! ''

(in reply to Shifty Bench)
Post #: 22
HOBO WITH A SHOTGUN - 24/2/2012 6:37:04 AM   
Snake-Eyes

"He shot my d**k off!!!"

(in reply to Snake-Eyes)
Post #: 23
RE: HOBO WITH A SHOTGUN - 24/2/2012 9:14:26 AM   
gunstar

quote:

Kind of really missed the point there. It's supposed to be trash. And my goodness me, it's fantastic trash.

'We can take these Deadites! We can take them.....with science."

"We'll get 'em. We'll throw the book at them. Assault and kidnapping. Assault with a gun and a bourbon and a sports car."

"Falcon! Grab my ankles!"

Post #: 24
HOBO WITH A SHOTGUN - 25/2/2012 11:24:37 PM   
Snake-Eyes

quote:

ORIGINAL: gunstar

quote:

Kind of really missed the point there. It's supposed to be trash. And my goodness me, it's fantastic trash.

Absolutely!

(in reply to gunstar)
Post #: 25
RE: HOBO WITH A SHOTGUN - 26/2/2012 2:04:05 AM   
Spaldron

quote:

Well its not uncommon for forum members to criticise a movie in the favourite films section (See the Star Wars thread).Dont worry though, im not gonna clog up this thread with my hatred for this film

Also see the Lord of the Rings thread, the Casino Royale thread, the Superman Returns thread...............

And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts
And I looked and behold, a pale horse
And his name that sat on him was Death
And Hell followed with him.

Post #: 26
RE: HOBO WITH A SHOTGUN - 26/2/2012 8:46:46 PM   
Cool Breeze

quote:

ORIGINAL: Spaldron

quote:

Well its not uncommon for forum members to criticise a movie in the favourite films section (See the Star Wars thread).Dont worry though, im not gonna clog up this thread with my hatred for this film

Also see the Lord of the Rings thread, the Casino Royale thread, the Superman Returns thread...............

Havnt been to the LOTR thread since posting my thoughts on that series months ago.Dont think theres a Casino Royale thread.

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 27
RE: HOBO WITH A SHOTGUN - 26/2/2012 8:55:25 PM   
DazDaMan

Pretty sure there was.

Post #: 28
HOBO WITH A SHOTGUN - 26/2/2012 9:17:47 PM   
Snake-Eyes

Back on subject, this here is a cool t-shirt design by FRIGHT RAGS. Outta print now but there may be a chance more may be produced if enough people want 'em!

(in reply to DazDaMan)
Post #: 29
RE: HOBO WITH A SHOTGUN - 26/2/2012 9:22:44 PM   
DazDaMan

That is rather cool.

(in reply to Snake-Eyes)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> HOBO WITH A SHOTGUN Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI