Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Questions i'd like the academy to answer....

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> Questions i'd like the academy to answer.... Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Questions i'd like the academy to answer.... - 24/1/2012 2:45:08 PM   
kitfisto

In what universe is The Help a better film than Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy or The Girl with the Dragon tattoo or Drive?

How can Rango by up for best animation but not Tintin?

What happened to Jessica Chastains nom for Tree of life?

Has nobody at the Academy seen Fassbender performance in Shame?

Has there been a better performance in the last year than Ryan Gosling in Drive?

Why is The skin i live in not on the best foreign film list?

Even more so than is normal the case this years nominations are (for the most part), poor. We can only hope that (once again), the BAFTA's correct the academy's mistakes!

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 31
- 24/1/2012 2:49:53 PM   
kitfisto

How is The Help a better film Than Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy? or Drive? or The Girl with the Dragon tattoo?
How can they not nominate Fassbender for Shame/Ryan Gosling for Drive?
In what universe is Rango better than Tintin?

Even for the academy this years nominations are poor! Roll on BAFTA!

Post #: 32
Where Is She? - 24/1/2012 2:50:17 PM   
HulkySmashSmash

Really surprised that Kirsten Dunst got left out for Melancholia and with movies like Moneyball and Extremely L&IC making the cut? Who picked them?
Really happy for Melissa McCarthy though!
Jean or Gary for best Actor and Rooney or Michelle for Actress.

Post #: 33
Where Is She? - 24/1/2012 2:50:35 PM   
HulkySmashSmash

Really surprised that Kirsten Dunst got left out for Melancholia and with movies like Moneyball and Extremely L&IC making the cut? Who picked them?

Post #: 34
Where Is She? - 24/1/2012 2:50:43 PM   
HulkySmashSmash

Post #: 35
RE: - 24/1/2012 2:55:19 PM   
beancounter

Like many others I don't understand why Tintin is not up for Best Animated, or Senna for Best Documentary.

I'm pleased Hugo is being recognised but 11 nominations seems OTT

I haven't seen Moneyball but I thought Brad Pitt deserved a nomination for Tree of Life, as did Jessica Chastaine.

This list of nominations seems... confused. Ho hum.

I wish none of this had happened.
So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us.

(in reply to kitfisto)
Post #: 36
Tyrannosaur - 24/1/2012 3:00:45 PM   
danclay77

Olivia Colman deserved a nod for her role in the above. Would love to see Streep do something as low-key and touching, but she can't. Hope Bafta gives some love to Paddy's film instead!

Post #: 37
Daldry The Oscar Baiter strikes again! - 24/1/2012 3:01:56 PM   
Dave Oz

Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close for 'Best Picture'? You're having a laugh. The trailer was.....well it was dripping with 'Nomninate Me, nominate me, PLEASE!!!".

Post #: 38
Daldry The Oscar Baiter strikes again! - 24/1/2012 3:02:08 PM   
Dave Oz

Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close for 'Best Picture'? You're having a laugh. The trailer was.....well it was dripping with 'Nomninate Me, nominate me, PLEASE!!!".

Post #: 39
Daldry The Oscar Baiter strikes again! - 24/1/2012 3:04:08 PM   
Dave Oz

Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close for 'Best Picture'? You're having a laugh. The trailer was.....well it was dripping with 'Nominate Me, nominate me, PLEASE!!!".

Post #: 40
Daldry The Oscar Baiter strikes again! - 24/1/2012 3:05:20 PM   
Dave Oz

Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close for 'Best Picture'? You're having a laugh. The trailer was.....well it was dripping with sentiment and that was 'Nominate Me, nominate me, Please! I need your Oscars!".

Post #: 41
Oh dear god! Really??? - 24/1/2012 3:08:15 PM   
richm_drevil

I now successfully developed a flatspot on my forehead from slamming it onto my table after reading the Nom list. One for Drive and none for Shame! Jeeeeesus! /rollseyes

Post #: 42
We Need to Talk About Shame...(and Drive) - 24/1/2012 3:12:39 PM   
Vincent04

Rooney Mara. She was good, don't get me wrong, but Noomi Rapace set the tone for that character (and where was her nomination?)

On similar lines, the exclusion of Tilda Swinton's mesmerising performance in Kevin is a huge disappointment. Her ever expressive face was the key factor that haunted that film throughout.

Sticking with the actors categories, must agree with the two posts above that Fassbender should have being nominated. Taking it further, where was Carey Mulligan?!

FYI: As 'the best film of the year', Drive should have being in there somewhere!

With the exclusion of We Need to Talk about Kevin, Shame, and Drive, the numbers are clocking up. This is negatively correlated with my respect for this years Oscars.

On the plus, its great(!) to see the exceptional, and highly original Tree of Life in there.

NOTE TO OSCARS: if you want to get respect by nominating those 'lesser'/'not-usually-oscar-worthy-films' don't make it a 'commercially successful' Bridesmaids when Steve McQueen is writing and directing.

PS Jamemily hits it right on the head. Transformers, Real Steal and Harry Potter get a look in. Drive, Shame and Kevin do not. Sad.

Post #: 43
We Need to Talk About Shame...(and Drive) - 24/1/2012 3:12:56 PM   
Vincent04

Rooney Mara. She was good, don't get me wrong, but Noomi Rapace set the tone for that character (and where was her nomination?)

On similar lines, the exclusion of Tilda Swinton's mesmerising performance in Kevin is a huge disappointment. Her ever expressive face was the key factor that haunted that film throughout.

Sticking with the actors categories, must agree with the two posts above that Fassbender should have being nominated. Taking it further, where was Carey Mulligan?!

FYI: As 'the best film of the year', Drive should have being in there somewhere!

With the exclusion of We Need to Talk about Kevin, Shame, and Drive, the numbers are clocking up. This is negatively correlated with my respect for this years Oscars.

On the plus, its great(!) to see the exceptional, and highly original Tree of Life in there.

NOTE TO OSCARS: if you want to get respect by nominating those 'lesser'/'not-usually-oscar-worthy-films' don't make it a 'commercially successful' Bridesmaids when Steve McQueen is writing and directing.

PS Jamemily hits it right on the head. Transformers, Real Steal and Harry Potter get a look in. Drive, Shame and Kevin do not. Sad.

Post #: 44
Art related puns - 24/1/2012 3:14:11 PM   
shaded_silver

So we know The Artist is going to win a few - I wonder how many painting/art/photography related/silent movie puns publications can give us this time?

Nominations for We need to talk about Kevin, Shame and Tintin, completely disregarded.

Where were Hollywood's heads at? ... Ah yes, in a black and white silent movie.

< Message edited by shaded_silver -- 24/1/2012 3:22:42 PM >

Post #: 45
- 24/1/2012 3:18:52 PM   
JimmyThe Saint

Glad Gary Oldman and chick from Dragon Tattoo were nominated. But why wasnt George Harrison doc or Senna nominated. And Spielberg has a right to feel snubbed. No Director nod for War Horse. But, to be fair, at least the Oscars are more internationally minded these days. Three of the Best Actor nods were non Americans and good on Branaugh and janet McTeer. Shame no Fassbender or Ewan for Begineers.

Post #: 46
- 24/1/2012 3:20:19 PM   
JimmyThe Saint

Glad Gary Oldman and chick from Dragon Tattoo were nominated. But why wasn’t George Harrison doc or Senna nominated? And Spielberg has a right to feel snubbed. No Director nod for War Horse. But, to be fair, at least the Oscars are more internationally minded these days. Three of the Best Actor nods were non Americans and good on Branagh and Janet McTeer. Shame no Fassbender or Ewan for Beginners.

Post #: 47
- 24/1/2012 3:20:35 PM   
JimmyThe Saint

Glad Gary Oldman and chick from Dragon Tattoo were nominated. But why wasn’t George Harrison doc or Senna nominated? And Spielberg has a right to feel snubbed. No Director nod for War Horse. But, to be fair, at least the Oscars are more internationally minded these days. Three of the Best Actor nods were non Americans and good on Branagh and Janet McTeer. Shame no Fassbender or Ewan for Beginners.

Post #: 48
apoloy - 24/1/2012 3:22:44 PM   
JimmyThe Saint

sorry didnt mean to post it too many time. had technical difficulties and i didnt think it worked.

Post #: 49
Can't believe it - 24/1/2012 3:28:24 PM   
impala

No nomination for Shame??? Where is the Best Actor nomination for Michael Fassbender's amazing performance??? I'm sorry but 'A Better Life' has been seen by probably about three people and while I'm sure George Clooney is good in the Descendents, lets face it that is a nomination for George Clooney in an outstanding performance as George Clooney. And I think Carey Mulligan deserves some recognition for her performance in Shame. Not impressed

Post #: 50
Daldry Strikes Again - 24/1/2012 3:30:44 PM   
Dave Oz

Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close for 'Best Picture'? You're having a laugh. The trailer was.....well it was dripping with sentiment and that was 'Nominate Me, nominate me, Please! I need your Oscars!".

Post #: 51
- 24/1/2012 3:36:42 PM   
TheDarkKnightEdin91

no tintin, gosling for drive, fassbender for shame??? SMH, SMH, honestly the academy are on a different planet

Post #: 52
- 24/1/2012 3:37:05 PM   
sweetladybrick

How disappointingly typical. 'Incredibly Loud' doesn't correlate with the reviews, but then that's patriotic sentiment for you.

'Bridesmaids'? Really? It's hardly Oscar worthy, and there are a hell of a lot of superior comedies in years gone by that were snubbed. A sign of a changing academy? Or just a sign of a drop in cinematic circumstances- don't get me wrong, it was funny, but come on!

Please don't have Streep win another Oscar, it'll only encourage her.

Post #: 53
- 24/1/2012 3:37:27 PM   
TheDarkKnightEdin91

no tintin, gosling for drive, fassbender for shame??? SMH, SMH, honestly the academy are on a different planet

Post #: 54
Don't worry guys..This must be the joke list!? No Drive... - 24/1/2012 3:47:13 PM   
guysalisbury

Clearly none of us realised that today is the April fools Day and they have just released this list as a joke!
I'll just fill in the blanks that Oscar twats have missed off:
Best Picture - Drive, Shame, WNTTAK
Best Actor - Michael Fassbender
Best Director - Nicolas Winding Refn, Steve McQueen
Best Actress - Tilda Swinton
Best Supporting Actress - Carey Mulligan
Best Documentary Feature - Senna
FUCKING JOKE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post #: 55
- 24/1/2012 4:03:52 PM   
D.J

The lack of Senna on the list for best documentary is shocking.

Post #: 56
- 24/1/2012 4:05:40 PM   
D.J

The lack of Senna on the list for best documentary is shocking.

Post #: 57
- 24/1/2012 4:06:07 PM   
D.J

whoops, multi post, sorry.

Post #: 58
Yawn.... - 24/1/2012 4:20:21 PM   
Halfling

How terribly dull, but could someone please tell me why 9 Best Movies not 10, and what the blazes is 'Best Live Film' (though looking at the lists in general............)

Post #: 59
Where the jesus is Drive! - 24/1/2012 4:43:27 PM   
Coyleone

Drive getting nothing apart from sound editing is ridiculous! Albert Brooks should have easily been nominated for best supporting actor atleast and Gosling's performance was very subtle but incredible. Glad to see Nick Nolte getting a nod though for Warrior. Tree Of Life getting a few nominations is awesome, I'm pretty sure I've let my thoughts on that film be known a few times and had it not been nominated I would have been very dissapointed. I would be over the moon if it won either of the big two (film or director) but I'm pretty sure thats not going to happen. I really need to see The Artist and Hugo.

Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> Questions i'd like the academy to answer.... Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI