Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
W.E. - 24/1/2012 7:13:17 AM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
Awful - 24/1/2012 7:13:17 AM   
J_BUltimatum

Awful is the only word I can think of to describe this tripe. Madonna has clearly gone insane and power crazy over the years. There isn't one good point in this whole movie. The movie also reflects badly on the Golden Globes if it won "Best Original Song" for what can only be desctibed as an awful soundtrack. Hopefully after this monster madonna will quietly retire from all media in a corner somewhere.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
Awful to AWESOME - 27/1/2012 4:20:33 AM   
jimmyjam29621

Madonna is brilliant as director of this spell binding film!
Madonna is not going away, there are milllions and millions of fans who love her and always will. There is no retirement in site for the biggest selling female artist of all times! A tired old nobody does not get asked to perform at the superbowl. Sorry your hope of this monster going away are futile. Madonna is the Queen of POP!!!!!!!

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 3
RE: Awful to AWESOME - 29/1/2012 11:45:57 PM   
C3

So we have two responses to the review of this film and neither are about the film, only Madonna as a person. One a hater and one an obsessed fan. And that sums up the problem with W.E. It may be quite a good little movie, but the fact that madonna is behind it means it will probably never get a fair hearing. I probably won't see it as I have no interest in the subject matter, just as I havne't watched The Kings SPeech either. However, I think madonna should be applauded on what's a remarkable accomplishment, given the odds that were stacked against her from the start.

(in reply to jimmyjam29621)
Post #: 4
RE: Awful to AWESOME - 30/1/2012 1:57:50 PM   
Qwerty Norris

quote:

ORIGINAL: C3

So we have two responses to the review of this film and neither are about the film, only Madonna as a person. One a hater and one an obsessed fan. And that sums up the problem with W.E. It may be quite a good little movie, but the fact that madonna is behind it means it will probably never get a fair hearing. I probably won't see it as I have no interest in the subject matter, just as I havne't watched The Kings SPeech either. However, I think madonna should be applauded on what's a remarkable accomplishment, given the odds that were stacked against her from the start.

Out of interest, what odds?

Yes she might have struggled for being taken seriously, but I suspect she would had nowhere near as much trouble in getting a project of hers made & consequently seen compared to others.

An example; my local world of cine dedicated 5 screenings to W.E. per day on its opening week - now it has disappeared likely due to a combination of lack of interest & appalling word of mouth.

Ralph Fiennes; one of Britain's most celebrated actors & respected folk in British film, had an extremely hard time gathering funds to make Coriolanus...and despite having very positive reviews, it couldn't secure 1 measly screening at the same place.

For me the only odds Madonna was ever against was proving she could direct a film. That is a luxury every film-maker outside Hollywood can only dream of.

Qwerty's Top 10 of 2013 (so far)

1. Zero Dark Thirty
2. No
3. A Hijacking
4. Behind the Candelabra
5. In The Fog
6. Good Vibrations
7. McCullin
8. Beyond the Hills
9. The Place Beyond the Pines
10. Wreck-it Ralph

(in reply to C3)
Post #: 5
RE: Awful to AWESOME - 23/4/2012 10:09:27 AM   
princessa

Agree with the review. The film definitely has its flaws it is to quote '...overlong and confused in its storytelling'. However it is not as bad as the critics have made it out to be.

Visually it is stunning and Madonna does not shy away from the nastier aspects of Wallis's life. Her early abuse from her first husband. However it is let down by a very thin and light script and a storyline which in the end goes no where.

This film is definitely like a Sofia Coppola movie - very much style over substance. The very first hour is let down by the rest of the movie which dragged IMO. A case of a movie going nowhere.

(in reply to Qwerty Norris)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> W.E. Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI