Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Cult Films Poll

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> RE: Cult Films Poll Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Cult Films Poll - 24/1/2012 12:03:11 AM   
rawlinson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gimli The Dwarf

I had a book once that listed Jaws as the best cult film of all time. Can I vote for that?

Already addressed - No Spielberg from Jaws on.

(in reply to Gimli The Dwarf)
Post #: 61
RE: Cult Films Poll - 24/1/2012 1:38:02 AM   
jiraffejustin

What about Duck Soup? I've seen it in some cult lists.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 62
RE: Cult Films Poll - 24/1/2012 2:50:28 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

quote:

ORIGINAL: rawlinson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gimli The Dwarf

I had a book once that listed Jaws as the best cult film of all time. Can I vote for that?

Already addressed - No Spielberg from Jaws on.

Can I not even have 1941?

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 63
RE: Cult Films Poll - 24/1/2012 3:54:51 PM   
rawlinson

quote:

ORIGINAL: jiraffejustin

What about Duck Soup? I've seen it in some cult lists.

Yeah, Duck Soup is fine.

Gim', I'll let 1941 in, yeah.

(in reply to jiraffejustin)
Post #: 64
RE: Cult Films Poll - 24/1/2012 6:40:53 PM   
Harry Tuttle

quote:

http://www.listsofbests.com/list/84918-500-essential-cult-movies?page=1

Not everything there would be eligible, but it might give you all a few ideas.

That's muddied the waters even more for me. There are a few Hitchcock's on that list, I mean is Vertigo a cult film? There's also stuff like Dog Day Afternoon, The Conversation, Nightmare Before Christmas, An American Werewolf in London and Almost Famous there. I'd never personally considered any of them as cult myself. What say you?

Shawshank, Hedd Wyn and Reservoir Dogs are eligible right?

< Message edited by Harry Tuttle -- 24/1/2012 7:00:54 PM >

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Blood Island. So called because it's the exact shape of some blood

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 65
RE: Cult Films Poll - 24/1/2012 7:02:41 PM   
MonsterCat

There's lot of good stuff in that list that I hadn't considered.

Harry, I'm not sure about Shawshank because it was Oscar nominated and then found widespread popularity on home video.

< Message edited by MonsterCat -- 24/1/2012 7:04:27 PM >

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to Harry Tuttle)
Post #: 66
RE: Cult Films Poll - 24/1/2012 7:20:08 PM   
Harry Tuttle

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat

There's lot of good stuff in that list that I hadn't considered.

Harry, I'm not sure about Shawshank because it was Oscar nominated and then found widespread popularity on home video.

But It bombed at the box office.

But yeah fair enough on the nom for Best Picture. Damnit.

Blade Runner has got to be eligible though.

I've got a shortlist of about 125 at the mo. Once I've reached 130 I'll start putting them in order and send in a top 100, leaving 30 as backups for the inevitable purging of the inelligible

< Message edited by Harry Tuttle -- 24/1/2012 7:31:56 PM >

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 67
RE: Cult Films Poll - 24/1/2012 7:48:09 PM   
evil bill

Blade Runner has to be in,as it flopped at the box office,and also like Carpenters The Thing,critics gave it a panning.
Mad Max was very successful for a low budget film,but again panned by critics and never set the box office alight.And talking Ozzy films i take it Razorback,Roadgames,Wolf Creek and Thrist are ok.

"You listen to me now,i will find you and i will kill you!"

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 68
RE: Cult Films Poll - 25/1/2012 1:00:54 AM   
rawlinson

Vertigo's fine. Took a long time before it got the current levels of acclaim.

The thing with a lot of the 70s films is that it was a very odd time where a lot more culty stuff was getting a bit more mainstream acclaim.

American Werewolf I'd say is fine. Same with Nightmare. Almost Famous wouldn't be. Unless someone has a good argument for it.

Hedd - Absolutely

Dogs - Yes. I'm unsure about Pulp Fiction though. It's one of those ones like 2001 where what the film actually is seems more important than the acclaim/box-office.

Shawshank - No. And not just because I loathe it. It takes more than disappointing box office to be cult.

Blade Runner is fine, as are all the Aussie films mentioned.

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 69
RE: Cult Films Poll - 25/1/2012 1:14:29 AM   
Harry Tuttle

Cool. At this rate I should have a minimum list of 125. I might think it over a bit longer and see if I can't make it to 150. I got pissed off at the amount of films that came up which I hadn't voted for in the 80's list due to only doing a list of 25 so this time I'm taking my sweet time

< Message edited by Harry Tuttle -- 25/1/2012 1:18:26 AM >

Acting...Naturaaal

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 70
RE: Cult Films Poll - 25/1/2012 1:18:48 AM   
rawlinson

Well you have two months, and if you need to change your list after you send it then you can.

Btw, anyone who wants to vote for t.v. films, Trilogy of Terror and stuff like that, it's fine.

(in reply to Harry Tuttle)
Post #: 71
RE: Cult Films Poll - 25/1/2012 1:25:40 AM   
MonsterCat

Rawlinson hates Shawshank and then has the nerve to call me joyless? Tsk.

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 72
RE: Cult Films Poll - 25/1/2012 3:04:06 AM   
jiraffejustin

The Princess Bride, is that culty enough? Watched it today is why I ask.

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 73
RE: Cult Films Poll - 25/1/2012 11:57:47 AM   
Rebel scum

Another list of "cult" films to give people some ideas.

http://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/the+new+cult+canon/

And I reckon Princess Bride counts, it's on my list.

EDIT: Can I have Fantasia?

< Message edited by Rebel scum -- 25/1/2012 11:59:38 AM >

"We are not safe! A dark menace rises to the east! Duckies go quack! Cows go moo! I want ice cream. Verily, will you two hobbits join my quest?"

(in reply to jiraffejustin)
Post #: 74
RE: Cult Films Poll - 25/1/2012 12:28:31 PM   
elab49

quote:

Fantasia has grossed $76.4 million in domestic revenue and is the 22nd highest-grossing film of all time in the U.S. when adjusted for inflation.[4

Some of these lists I've looked at seem to equate old with cult solely because a lot of modern film viewers don't watch much in the way of older films. I've gotten to the stage of not having a clue what the word means anymore!

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to Rebel scum)
Post #: 75
RE: Cult Films Poll - 25/1/2012 12:30:48 PM   
MonsterCat

How is Blair Witch a cult film? It made a metric fuck ton of money during its cinema run.

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 76
RE: Cult Films Poll - 25/1/2012 12:33:09 PM   
Rebel scum

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

quote:

Fantasia has grossed $76.4 million in domestic revenue and is the 22nd highest-grossing film of all time in the U.S. when adjusted for inflation.[4

Some of these lists I've looked at seem to equate old with cult solely because a lot of modern film viewers don't watch much in the way of older films. I've gotten to the stage of not having a clue what the word means anymore!

Ah. Fair enough!

I've tried to go for ones that weren't well recieved on release, (stuff like Freaks, Island of Lost Souls and Haxan) plus stuff that's got a massive following while not being massively successful (It's A Wonderful Life, Bedknobs and Broomsticks, Galaxy Quest). But it's tough as hell finding the middle ground.

"We are not safe! A dark menace rises to the east! Duckies go quack! Cows go moo! I want ice cream. Verily, will you two hobbits join my quest?"

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 77
RE: Cult Films Poll - 25/1/2012 12:37:22 PM   
Rebel scum

quote:

How is Blair Witch a cult film? It made a metric fuck ton of money during its cinema run.

From the website the list comes from:

"Between the film's première as a buzzed-about midnight movie at Sundance in January and its official release in late July, the Blair Witch legend flourished on the website, which did nothing to suggest that the events described in that famous epigram weren't real. The classic campfire yarn of a centuries-old witch still haunting the woods outside a Maryland town gained instant urban-legend status well before most people saw the movie...It's funny to revisit The Blair Witch Project today, since it was such a product of its particular moment in time, like leg warmers or pet rocks. There was a groundswell of buzz and hype, leading to the bizarre spectacle of a no-budget indie doing blockbuster business, and then the comedown that all movies experience once they hit video and sit on the shelf for a while. It was a movie that captured the public's imagination briefly, yet I'm not convinced it's faded entirely into the woodwork—not when faux-doc fictions like Cloverfield and the upcoming Quarantine continue to spin off its original innovation. In the cult spectrum, I'd happily file it next to Carnival Of Souls, another creepy cinematic one-off that came out of nowhere, cost nothing, and quickly deposited its makers back into obscurity."

I can see the argument, and it'll probably make it onto my list, but I can understand if it gets disallowed

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 78
RE: Cult Films Poll - 25/1/2012 12:38:23 PM   
elab49

But can initial reaction really be used in isolation? Something like It's a Wonderful Life wasn't discovered by a few - it became known by constant reruns on TV for everyone and was a favourite of the masses, not the few. Heck, my mum got it this Xmas and she's as far from cult film as you could find

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

(in reply to Rebel scum)
Post #: 79
RE: Cult Films Poll - 25/1/2012 12:40:55 PM   
elab49

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rebel scum

quote:

"Between the film's première as a buzzed-about midnight movie at Sundance in January and its official release in late July, the Blair Witch legend flourished on the website, which did nothing to suggest that the events described in that famous epigram weren't real. The classic campfire yarn of a centuries-old witch still haunting the woods outside a Maryland town gained instant urban-legend status well before most people saw the movie...It's funny to revisit The Blair Witch Project today, since it was such a product of its particular moment in time, like leg warmers or pet rocks. There was a groundswell of buzz and hype, leading to the bizarre spectacle of a no-budget indie doing blockbuster business, and then the comedown that all movies experience once they hit video and sit on the shelf for a while. It was a movie that captured the public's imagination briefly, yet I'm not convinced it's faded entirely into the woodwork—not when faux-doc fictions like Cloverfield and the upcoming Quarantine continue to spin off its original innovation. In the cult spectrum, I'd happily file it next to Carnival Of Souls, another creepy cinematic one-off that came out of nowhere, cost nothing, and quickly deposited its makers back into obscurity."

I can see the argument, and it'll probably make it onto my list, but I can understand if it gets disallowed

Doesn't that argument imply any surpise hit can be called a cult even if it makes billions? Ditto Monstercat - Blair Witch was a massive cinema hit in this country on release, sold out cinemas packed to the gills with people going for the phenomenon, even those who didn't normally go to horror. I doubt most of them bothered with the viral stuff, the websites etc - they just went to see a popular and talked about film.

quote:

(in reply to Rebel scum)
Post #: 80
RE: Cult Films Poll - 25/1/2012 12:43:18 PM   
Rebel scum

It's A Wonderful Life is a grey area, but I think its initial failure and eventual discovery makes it cult in the same way Shawshank or Donnie Darko is. Hell, stuff from the last few years that's cult now (Where the Wild Things Are springs to mind) may well be as well known as Shawshank over the next few years. We've already allowed stuff like Reservoir Dogs, and that's hardly obscure these days.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 81
RE: Cult Films Poll - 25/1/2012 12:46:36 PM   
Rebel scum

quote:

quote:

quote:

Doesn't that argument imply any surpise hit can be called a cult even if it makes billions? Ditto Monstercat - Blair Witch was a massive cinema hit in this country on release, sold out cinemas packed to the gills with people going for the phenomenon, even those who didn't normally go to horror. I doubt most of them bothered with the viral stuff, the websites etc - they just went to see a popular and talked about film.

Yeah, I can see both sides here, and won't object if it gets disallowed.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 82
RE: Cult Films Poll - 25/1/2012 12:48:06 PM   
elab49

It wasn't a fanbase that discovered it though - it was a cheap prospect out of copyright that was put into network TV rotation and forcefed to millions. Shawshank was a sleeper video hit - is that the same as cult?

Here's another slightly tongueincheek query - Donnie Darko produced a Xmas No 1. Does that make a difference?

quote:

(in reply to Rebel scum)
Post #: 83
RE: Cult Films Poll - 25/1/2012 12:50:43 PM   
elab49

quote:

Yeah, I can see both sides here, and won't object if it gets disallowed.

I've no idea about disallowed - it just all contributes to my not having a clue what cult is. The blurb in the quote is talking about innovative marketing strategies - you could say there is a direct line of responsibility from Blair Witch to Lost, as well.

The film has a lot to answer for

quote:

(in reply to Rebel scum)
Post #: 84
RE: Cult Films Poll - 25/1/2012 12:51:43 PM   
Harry Tuttle

quote:

It wasn't a fanbase that discovered it though - it was a cheap prospect out of copyright that was put into network TV rotation and forcefed to millions. Shawshank was a sleeper video hit - is that the same as cult?

Here's another slightly tongueincheek query - Donnie Darko produced a Xmas No 1. Does that make a difference?

That's what I was thinking when I suggested it up thread. But like MonsterCat pointed out it received a best picture nomination so doesn't meet the criteria set by Rawlinson. I bet that criteria was put in place specifically to fuck Shawshank's chances up

Acting...Naturaaal

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 85
RE: Cult Films Poll - 25/1/2012 12:54:43 PM   
Rebel scum

quote:

Several X-Factor winners have, have you heard from them lately?

More seriously, while it wasn't a fanbase that discovered IAWL, there must have been some kind of word of mouth that it's actually really good that kept it in the limelight-if there wasn't that drive, it would have been put out of circulation because of low viewing figures. But I don't know, so you could well be right. There's no reason that "cult" can't equal "sleeper hit later"-that's what happened to stuff like Tron and Rocky Horror, which are culty as hell.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 86
RE: Cult Films Poll - 25/1/2012 12:57:02 PM   
elab49

But it was also cheap - only residual story rights. It's the same as Great Escape and Wizard of Oz when we were kids - it was just on every Xmas, no matter what. Harder to find those two now round Xmas - hidden in afternoons on different days or not on the main terrestrial channels. Times have changed

quote:

(in reply to Rebel scum)
Post #: 87
RE: Cult Films Poll - 25/1/2012 2:07:24 PM   
rawlinson

There's a real danger of this list turning into one that's filled with beloved films that are being voted for simply because they didn't make much money on their initial release. That's not what this should be about. You have to look at other things, nature of the film, cultural impact, etc. Take Shawshank. It underperformed at the box office on the initial release, but it's crossed over to the mainstream to become a beloved film for a large number of people who aren't film fanatics. In terms of the film itself, it's a sentimental buddy movie at heart. There's very little that's cult about it.

Same goes with It's a Wonderful Life. Everyone knows this film. It's one of the most adored films of all time. It's not a cult film.

Huge box office will rule out a film that has obvious mainstream appeal and some cult elements (Terminator 2, Jaws, Back to the Future, etc) But it won't rule in a film that's not really culty, but didn't make a lot of money. Otherwise we'd be taking votes for pretty much anything. You have to look at the film itself and simply use huge box office/Oscar films as a guide for how far it's penetrated the mainstream.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 88
RE: Cult Films Poll - 25/1/2012 5:35:28 PM   
evil bill

quote:

There's a real danger of this list turning into one that's filled with beloved films that are being voted for simply because they didn't make much money on their initial release. That's not what this should be about. You have to look at other things, nature of the film, cultural impact, etc. Take Shawshank. It underperformed at the box office on the initial release, but it's crossed over to the mainstream to become a beloved film for a large number of people who aren't film fanatics. In terms of the film itself, it's a sentimental buddy movie at heart. There's very little that's cult about it.

Same goes with It's a Wonderful Life. Everyone knows this film. It's one of the most adored films of all time. It's not a cult film.

Huge box office will rule out a film that has obvious mainstream appeal and some cult elements (Terminator 2, Jaws, Back to the Future, etc) But it won't rule in a film that's not really culty, but didn't make a lot of money. Otherwise we'd be taking votes for pretty much anything. You have to look at the film itself and simply use huge box office/Oscar films as a guide for how far it's penetrated the mainstream.

May i be of some help mate,as most know The Weird/Strange thread is aimed at this sort of film,but here's a description;
Often, cult movies have failed to achieve fame outside the small fanbases; however, there have been exceptions that have managed to gain fame among mainstream audiences. Many cult movies have gone on to transcend their original cult status and have become recognized as classics; others are of the "so bad it's good" variety and are destined to remain in obscurity. Cult films often become the source of a thriving, obsessive, and elaborate subculture of fandom, hence the analogy to cults. However, not every film with a devoted fanbase is necessarily a cult film. Usually, cult films have limited but very special, noted appeal. Cult films are often known to be eccentric, often do not follow traditional standards of mainstream cinema and usually explore topics not considered in any way mainstream—yet there are examples that are relatively normal. Many are often considered controversial because they step outside standard narrative and technical conventions.
Also of help is this website; http://www.filmsite.org/cultfilms.html
Hope this clears up some of the confusion that cult films seem to cause.

"You listen to me now,i will find you and i will kill you!"

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 89
RE: Cult Films Poll - 25/1/2012 6:06:51 PM   
Deviation

Also, just to remind people. VOTE FOR ...

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> RE: Cult Films Poll Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI