Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Cult Films Poll: Discussion Thread

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> RE: Cult Films Poll: Discussion Thread Page: <<   < prev  14 15 [16] 17 18   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Cult Films Poll: Discussion Thread - 23/4/2012 11:01:44 PM   
rawlinson

quote:

ORIGINAL: garvielloken

Lolita - Although in my defense I, er.........................ah, forget it. At least I'm not the only person who watched and liked it apparently.

It's a really good film, and weird because the title sums it up perfectly, but it's also nowhere near as salacious as it makes it sound.

quote:

This is why you're cooler than Rawlinson.

Your mum thinks I'm cool.

(in reply to garvielloken)
Post #: 451
RE: Cult Films Poll: Discussion Thread - 24/4/2012 10:20:33 AM   
shool

I like the Usual Suspects a lot. Wouldnt class it as cult either though.

Invisio Text for Spoilers
[ color=#F1F1F1 ] Spoiler text [ /color ] , remove spaces between square brackets

"No one knows what it means, but it's provocative... It gets the people going!"

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 452
RE: Cult Films Poll: Discussion Thread - 24/4/2012 10:37:36 AM   
Harry Tuttle

quote:

ORIGINAL: shool

I like the Usual Suspects a lot. Wouldnt class it as cult either though.

I'm going to be honest and say that it shouldn't have made my final list either, I put that in early on when I was struggling to complete my list (and I'd seen it on a few other cult lists online) and I thought I'd edited it out before I sent it. Apparently not.

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Blood Island. So called because it's the exact shape of some blood

(in reply to shool)
Post #: 453
RE: Cult Films Poll: Discussion Thread - 24/4/2012 10:46:47 AM   
shool

In fairness I'm not sure I could put together a cult film list. I don't see anywhere enough of them if truth be told.

Having said that I've got a free night tonight as the missus is going out to watch New Kids On The Block. Might finally sit down and watch Black Swan.

Invisio Text for Spoilers
[ color=#F1F1F1 ] Spoiler text [ /color ] , remove spaces between square brackets

"No one knows what it means, but it's provocative... It gets the people going!"

(in reply to Harry Tuttle)
Post #: 454
RE: Cult Films Poll: Discussion Thread - 24/4/2012 1:33:12 PM   
garvielloken

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat

quote:

The Descent - Excellent. The only good film that Marshall has made so far.

This is why you're cooler than Rawlinson.

Normally he has good taste but then he ruins it all by shitting on films like The Descent and Aliens. Craziness.

Exactly six miles north of Skagg Mountain in the Valley of Pain, there lives an evil devilmonster. His name is Bingo Gas Station Motel Cheeseburger With A Side Of Aircraft Noise And You'll Be Gary Indiana.

Razzle them, dazzle them. Razzle dazzle them.

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 455
RE: Cult Films Poll: Discussion Thread - 24/4/2012 1:40:07 PM   
Gimli The Dwarf

quote:

ORIGINAL: rawlinson

quote:

Lolita - Although in my defense I, er.........................ah, forget it. At least I'm not the only person who watched and liked it apparently.

It's a really good film, and weird because the title sums it up perfectly, but it's also nowhere near as salacious as it makes it sound.

What I want to know is, how do you even go about getting a film like this. Asking the staff at the local HMV, you'd probably get kicked out

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 456
RE: Cult Films Poll: Discussion Thread - 24/4/2012 1:56:04 PM   
garvielloken

My copy is actually a dvd r made from the original Japanese vhs. I don't think it's ever been released offically on dvd anywhere.

Exactly six miles north of Skagg Mountain in the Valley of Pain, there lives an evil devilmonster. His name is Bingo Gas Station Motel Cheeseburger With A Side Of Aircraft Noise And You'll Be Gary Indiana.

(in reply to Gimli The Dwarf)
Post #: 457
RE: Cult Films Poll: Discussion Thread - 24/4/2012 2:43:24 PM   
rawlinson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gimli The Dwarf

quote:

quote:

What I want to know is, how do you even go about getting a film like this. Asking the staff at the local HMV, you'd probably get kicked out

I love the fact you think Lolita Vibrator Torture might be available at HMV.

Post #: 458
RE: Cult Films Poll: Discussion Thread - 24/4/2012 4:10:24 PM   
Discodez

Glad to see there's a few more films I've heard of now..

The Usual Suspects is a genuine cult classic. After seeing it the first time and buying the VHS on the day it came out (didn't have one of those new fangled DVD player thingies at the time, too expensive ) I must have played it to everyone I could, friends, family, workmates and I used to love seeing their reaction at the end. I also got into the habbit of watching the film and never taking my eyes off Spacey. If you've not done so before please do this, just watch him & forget everything else, it's a brilliant experience, you suddenly notice all these brief facial tics, smirks, rolls of eyes etc that let you know he's spinning a yarn the whole time (but that you never spotted the first time you watched) it's a masterclass in film acting.

And one other thing. Duck Soup? Cult? Really?

< Message edited by Discodez -- 24/4/2012 4:11:30 PM >

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 459
RE: Cult Films Poll: Discussion Thread - 24/4/2012 4:24:58 PM   
rawlinson

I'd argue Duck Soup is far more a cult choice than The Usual Suspects. The film wasn't a hit either financially or critically on release. It wasn't a box office bomb, but it was a downswing from what was expected of them. The film was the end of the Marx Brothers' working with Paramount. It took about 30 years for the film to get any kind of critical reassessment. Even now, it's not a film you really hear talked about. Certainly not on the level of some of the films from their contemporaries.

The Usual Suspects made back four times its budget, it was a huge critical hit, two time Oscar winner, and big Oscars as well. Especially on a site like Empire, The Usual Supects is one of those huge fanboy films. Look at something like the imdb top 250. It's sitting at number 25. It's just one of those films that became such a part of the culture after its release that I can't see it as a cult choice. Same as something like Se7en, Pulp Fiction, or Shaun of the Dead. They became such a part of film geek culture that I can't personally see them as cult choices.

(in reply to Discodez)
Post #: 460
RE: Cult Films Poll: Discussion Thread - 24/4/2012 4:37:30 PM   
Rebel scum

I'd argue Shaun of the Dead is cult, it wasn't a big hit in cinemas (I think it was outgrossed by the Dawn remake over here) and gained a following from there. Se7en, Usual Suspects and Pulp Fiction were all box office and awards darlings, whereas Shaun wasn't. It helps that zombies seem to be an "in" thing in terms of current pop-culture, it could have been rubbish and some nerds would still worship it!

Regarding geek culture, surely stuff such as Halloween, Brazil and Monty Python are just as significant, and nobody questions their cult status.

"We are not safe! A dark menace rises to the east! Duckies go quack! Cows go moo! I want ice cream. Verily, will you two hobbits join my quest?"

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 461
RE: Cult Films Poll: Discussion Thread - 24/4/2012 4:53:28 PM   
rawlinson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rebel scum

I'd argue Shaun of the Dead is cult, it wasn't a big hit in cinemas (I think it was outgrossed by the Dawn remake over here) and gained a following from there.

Shaun was a fairly big hit, both here and America, and I'm fairly sure it was a hit on a limited release. It was a huge critical success as well. And it also had the fanboy following built in because it was the Spaced reunion everyone was waiting for.

The difference I'd argue with the likes of Brazil, Halloween, etc is that they were pre-internet, so there was less of an organised/immediate acclaim. Take Monty Python for example. The cult comes from the series before the films, and the series was a genuine word of mouth hit. You couldn't record episodes to watch back, you couldn't catch them online, you had to see them when they were aired or wait and hope for a repeat. And that's what fed into the film releases. Brazil had a tortured history that adds to the cult status. Halloween was another genuine word of mouth hit, it was just lucky really in that it was the indie horror that broke out huge, because there were so many American indie horrors made in that decade, Halloween was the one that really captured the public imagination. It was also still more difficult to see most of these films at their original release, because if you didn't see them in the cinema you had to wait for a video release, and not everyone had video players in the early 80s. And even later than that, it was still really difficult to see some of these films. I remember waiting years to see Life of Brian. I think I was about 15/16 when I finally got to see it, and I'd spent years trying to get a video copy but nowhere had it for sale. The access wasn't there for a lot of these films.

By the time the mid 90s had come around, being a film geek had become more mainstream. And that's a lot of what magazines like Empire thrived on. These were the people who grew up with Star Wars and Spielberg and you had a generation of geeks taking more control over film culture. I remember the releases of films like Se7en and Pulp Fiction and they were films you just had to see because they were going to be so fucking cool. I think it's that factor, that everyone knew about them and you just had to see them, that makes them more a part of the more mainstream geekery that had emerged, rather than those other films that came about more through discovery over a period of time.

(in reply to Rebel scum)
Post #: 462
RE: Cult Films Poll: Discussion Thread - 24/4/2012 5:02:20 PM   
Rebel scum

Apparently, Shaun made $13m in the US and $16m elsewhere, which I guess makes it something of a success, but only due to the limited release. The points about film geekery becoming both more popular and easier is fair enough, but doesn't that mean that you can't really have a cult film nowadays? I can imagine that pre-Internet something like The Raid would be cult, but now there's loads of interest in it pre-release due to it being easier to find out about upcoming niche films.

I'll admit I'm not very knowledgeable in this area, as I've only got into films in a big way post-internet, so I can't imagine the concept of classics being flat-out unavailable.

"We are not safe! A dark menace rises to the east! Duckies go quack! Cows go moo! I want ice cream. Verily, will you two hobbits join my quest?"

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 463
RE: Cult Films Poll: Discussion Thread - 24/4/2012 5:15:36 PM   
rawlinson

No, I think you can have a cult film, in the same way that you always could, films slip through the wider net and get smaller groups of people telling everyone they should check it out. I think the horrendous mismarketing of Scott Pilgrim makes it more of a cult film than Shaun, for example. Because a lot of the target audience missed it at the cinema because they didn't know what to expect. I'd also say a film like Hobo with a Shotgun, because while it got a lot of support, it were coming more from cult communities and there wasn't that feel of OMGEVERYONEHASTOSEETHIS that there was with something like Shaun. I'd say the same for films like Kill List, Troll Hunter, Rare Exports, etc. They got acclaim and they got a lot of love, but that all encompassing feeling wasn't there.

Of course, a lot of this could be based on the fact that I was in my mid teens when films like Pulp Fiction were released and I was always a little hipster douche and so everyone I knew would be saying OMFGYOUHAVETOSEEPULPFICTION!

With that acknowledged, I think there's a difference between pockets of fans being really hardcore about waiting for a film, and having a film that crosses over wider than that. Like if it had gone differently, Inglourious Basterds could have been a cult film, but it crossed over so much that I'd have difficulty seeing it as that. Same with something like Avatar. It hit a more acceptable face of geekdom.

quote:

I'll admit I'm not very knowledgeable in this area, as I've only got into films in a big way post-internet, so I can't imagine the concept of classics being flat-out unavailable.

I had a really cool local video shop that rented older titles for 50p a time and they kept all their back stock. So I got to see a lot of stuff that I wouldn't have had the opportunity to see otherwise, but beyond that it was a nightmare. And not just for films, for music, music videos, everything like that. I saw Up in Smoke on C4's drug night back in the 90s, same as I saw Comic Book Confidential on their comics night, and I had to wait until I had a R1 dvd player before I saw either again.

(in reply to Rebel scum)
Post #: 464
RE: Cult Films Poll: Discussion Thread - 24/4/2012 5:17:39 PM   
rawlinson

One thing I will add, if you grew up after the explosion of little independent video rental shops, then you missed something really special. Even with the unavailability of classics. I actually wrote an article on just how damn important they were to me.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 465
RE: Cult Films Poll: Discussion Thread - 24/4/2012 5:45:14 PM   
Rebel scum

That seems fair enough, though I reckon Scott Pilgrim is on about the same level of fame as Shaun-its box-office failure made it pretty notorious.

I had a local video shop in the village I grew up in that sadly went out of business about five or so years back. It had its share of cool stuff, but it mostly stocked easy-to-obtain-otherwise films. Still found a few gems there in my youth I wouldn't have checked out otherwise, and the chap who ran it turned a blind eye to young 'uns renting 15s .

It's a travel agent now

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 466
RE: Cult Films Poll: Discussion Thread - 24/4/2012 5:59:38 PM   
garvielloken

My local video shop had a huge back catalogue of lesser known (at the time) films. Stuff like Hard Boiled, Tetsuo 1 and 2 double pack, The Church, lots of David Lynch, some Jean Rollin stuff and even a pre cert video of Straw Dogs while it was still banned. Even better, they had a deal where you could rent five titles for about seven quid and hold onto them for a week. I spent many a weekend marathoning weird and cult films. God I miss those days.

(in reply to Rebel scum)
Post #: 467
RE: Cult Films Poll: Discussion Thread - 24/4/2012 6:32:01 PM   
matty_b

quote:

Of course, a lot of this could be based on the fact that I was in my mid teens when films like Pulp Fiction were released and I was always a little hipster douche and so everyone I knew would be saying OMFGYOUHAVETOSEEPULPFICTION!

Was?

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 468
RE: Cult Films Poll: Discussion Thread - 24/4/2012 7:34:03 PM   
rawlinson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rebel scum

I had a local video shop in the village I grew up in that sadly went out of business about five or so years back. It had its share of cool stuff, but it mostly stocked easy-to-obtain-otherwise films. Still found a few gems there in my youth I wouldn't have checked out otherwise, and the chap who ran it turned a blind eye to young 'uns renting 15s .

I got 18s from mine.

quote:

a pre cert video of Straw Dogs while it was still banned.

Video vans used to do that a lot. My original pre-cert of Last House came from a video van owner.

quote:

Was?

Yes, I was a little hipster douche. Now I'm a bigger hipster.

(in reply to Rebel scum)
Post #: 469
RE: Cult Films Poll: Discussion Thread - 24/4/2012 11:28:05 PM   
Rebel scum

Forgot The Elephant Man, it's probably my favourite Lynch.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 470
RE: Cult Films Poll: Discussion Thread - 24/4/2012 11:42:03 PM   
MonsterCat

I was really impressed with Triangle. A really smart flick.

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to Rebel scum)
Post #: 471
RE: Cult Films Poll: Discussion Thread - 24/4/2012 11:42:55 PM   
rawlinson

I like Triangle, but it's quite similar to Timecrimes, which came out about a year before it and was the better film, I think.

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 472
RE: Cult Films Poll: Discussion Thread - 24/4/2012 11:43:00 PM   
Rebel scum

Triangle's a fantastic little horror, I hope this encourages more people to see it!

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 473
RE: Cult Films Poll: Discussion Thread - 25/4/2012 12:40:16 AM   
MovieAddict247

The Elephant Man - great performance by Hurt, wonderful music and looks amazing.

Slap Shot sounds cool.

VOTE NOW for your favourite vocalist - Empire's Favourite Voices

(in reply to Rebel scum)
Post #: 474
RE: Cult Films Poll: Discussion Thread - 25/4/2012 7:28:36 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

quote:

I know it isn't, but asking of a film at the main high street retailer for films makes sense, doesn't it? It'd be worth it just to see the looks given

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Much more better!

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 475
RE: Cult Films Poll: Discussion Thread - 25/4/2012 3:12:47 PM   
rawlinson

quote:

quote:

I know it isn't, but asking of a film at the main high street retailer for films makes sense, doesn't it? It'd be worth it just to see the looks given

I haven't bought anything in HMV in years. I feel bad about the death of the high street, but HMV were asking people to hand over their wallets, their souls and be ass-fucked over the counter in return for a dvd before the credit crunch.

Post #: 476
RE: Cult Films Poll: Discussion Thread - 25/4/2012 3:52:29 PM   
Rebenectomy

I really liked Triangle, but forgot to include it as I'd, well, forgotten about it. Never heard of Time Crimes before. It's a whick title though, sounds like an early 90s sci fi thriller starring Van Damm or someone of similar calibre.

< Message edited by Rebenectomy -- 25/4/2012 4:03:27 PM >

Body Hair Beautiful: An Armpits for August Special
http://www.lipstogetherandblow.com/2013/07/body-beautiful.html

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 477
RE: Cult Films Poll: Discussion Thread - 25/4/2012 4:10:44 PM   
elab49

It's more like an overlong anthology show episode - there was another Spanish genre type film out about the same time that had the same problem, although Time Crimes was by far the best of the two. Film 4 have it on their roster so it might turn up on TV again. 

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to Rebenectomy)
Post #: 478
RE: Cult Films Poll: Discussion Thread - 25/4/2012 4:13:03 PM   
elab49

Also, congrats to Rebel Scum for The Descent vote 

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 479
RE: Cult Films Poll: Discussion Thread - 25/4/2012 4:36:43 PM   
Gimli The Dwarf

quote:

quote:

quote:

I haven't bought anything in HMV in years. I feel bad about the death of the high street, but HMV were asking people to hand over their wallets, their souls and be ass-fucked over the counter in return for a dvd before the credit crunch.

Some of the best bargains I've ever had have been in HMV. The closest one to me was about 1/2 hour away and it's now closed. Makes me sad

Much more better!

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 480
Page:   <<   < prev  14 15 [16] 17 18   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> RE: Cult Films Poll: Discussion Thread Page: <<   < prev  14 15 [16] 17 18   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI