Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Reasons I Love Cinema

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> RE: Reasons I Love Cinema Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Reasons I Love Cinema - 26/1/2012 4:38:54 PM   
adambatman82

quote:

ORIGINAL: gazpop

Oh, and one more reason for loving cinema? Clint..........

Edited to remove unacceptable turn of phrase.

Talk about a tease! The mind boggles as to what has been said!

(in reply to gazpop)
Post #: 121
RE: Reasons I Love Cinema - 26/1/2012 6:15:35 PM   
Spaldron

quote:

ORIGINAL: adambatman82

quote:

Oh, and one more reason for loving cinema? Clint..........

Edited to remove unacceptable turn of phrase.

Talk about a tease! The mind boggles as to what has been said!

Me too, I'm intrigued.

And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts
And I looked and behold, a pale horse
And his name that sat on him was Death
And Hell followed with him.

(in reply to adambatman82)
Post #: 122
RE: Reasons I Love Cinema - 30/1/2012 7:13:48 PM   
gazpop

Just spotted this. You're not the only one! I don't use really bad language on here, the occassional fuck maybe. Will have to rack my brains to think what I wrote. I can only think it must have been a typo......
sorry Mods if I caused offence....whatever it was

Yeah, that's real fine expensive gear you brought out here, Mr. Hooper.'Course I don't know what that bastard shark's gonna do with it-might eat it I suppose. Seen one eat a rockin' chair one time. Hey chieffy, next time you just ask me which line to pull

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 123
RE: Reasons I Love Cinema - 30/1/2012 7:20:14 PM   
sanchia

quote:

the occassional fuck maybe.

The story of my life...

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to gazpop)
Post #: 124
RE: Reasons I Love Cinema - 30/1/2012 7:25:37 PM   
gazpop

Get the F outta here!! I hardly ever use the word, and mostly not as a throw-away. Besides, the amount of people on here who use that word and worse, on a regular basis I'd hardly have it edited out. Jeepers, the Mods would need to be a million-strong to edit them all.
Anyway, I PM-ed Shool and apologised. For whatever it was. As I told him, it was in the afternoon so I can't blame the meds. Maybe it will remain forever one of life's little mysteries. Maybe if I use the word again I will get told off? Who knows.
Wait til I get to use gifs and stuff; this thread will become one of my most visited. As said before, keep up the good work people.

Yeah, that's real fine expensive gear you brought out here, Mr. Hooper.'Course I don't know what that bastard shark's gonna do with it-might eat it I suppose. Seen one eat a rockin' chair one time. Hey chieffy, next time you just ask me which line to pull

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 125
RE: Reasons I Love Cinema - 30/1/2012 7:26:30 PM   
gazpop

Maybe if I point the finger at the geezer above I can deflect some of the ire? You better run Sanch!

(in reply to gazpop)
Post #: 126
RE: Reasons I Love Cinema - 30/1/2012 7:41:16 PM   
Castor Troy

"Fortune & glory kid, fortune & glory"

"We have to go back doc, we have to go back to the future!!"

"welcome, to Jurassic Park"

"i hope the ocean's as blue as my dreams,I hope I can see my friend again, I hope"

The individual human mind. In a child's ability to master the multiplication table, there is more holiness than all your shouted hosannas and holy holies. An idea is more important than a monument and the advancement of Man's knowledge more miraculous than all the sticks turned to snakes and the parting of the waters.

(in reply to homersimpson_esq)
Post #: 127
RE: Reasons I Love Cinema - 31/1/2012 10:33:49 AM   
gazpop

Ok ok, calm the fuck down you bunch of shit-arses! I was reprimanded, and rightly so, for using a term we don't use anymore. So go arse yourselves off and give us some more reasons for loving cine.

(in reply to Castor Troy)
Post #: 128
RE: Reasons I Love Cinema - 31/1/2012 10:35:29 AM   
shool

quote:

Anyway, I PM-ed Shool and apologised.

Kind of defeats the object of a PM if you tell everyone.

Anyway back on topic please folks.

Invisio Text for Spoilers
[ color=#F1F1F1 ] Spoiler text [ /color ] , remove spaces between square brackets

"No one knows what it means, but it's provocative... It gets the people going!"

(in reply to gazpop)
Post #: 129
RE: Reasons I Love Cinema - 31/1/2012 10:49:21 AM   
gazpop

Mebbe. I just wanted the troops to know I was serious about my penitence. And no, I'm not taking the pee. But yes, moving on.

Ah, got one. The final scene in Cyrano De Bergerac (one of my top 10 films). Anyone who doesn't shed a tear is a lifeless automaton. Even Dev choked up a little.....

(in reply to shool)
Post #: 130
RE: Reasons I Love Cinema - 31/1/2012 4:27:25 PM   
Invader_Ace

I love it when you're in the cinema and someone reacts in a totally genuine way.  So that even if it's a film I don't like, it makes me happy for them!

When Moulin Rouge was out, the scene where the evil boyfriend is critisizing the play that a princess would leave all her life for a pauper and McGregor's character blurts out "Because she loves me!".  In the moment of silence after that, the girl directly in front of my let out "OH NO!  You idiot!"  In such a genuine way, it was awesome.

Similarly after the big scene in the middle of Rise of the Planet of the Apes, in the moment of silence, two little kids down the front somewhere let out the two most astonished gasps I have ever heard.  It was great, I had to imagine their eyes were 3 foot wide!

And the rising wail of a 100 scarred childhoods when Kong bites it at the end.  Great stuff.

(in reply to gazpop)
Post #: 131
RE: Reasons I Love Cinema - 31/1/2012 4:35:38 PM   
adambatman82

quote:

ORIGINAL: Invader_Ace

I love it when you're in the cinema and someone reacts in a totally genuine way. 

I had a situation not hugely dissimilar to that myself last night at a screening of Young Adult. The humour of the film is quite slight, but there is at least one genuinely surprising big laugh. When it hit, the audience erupted with laughter, except for one woman who quite literally stood up, turned around and shouted "IT's NOT THAT FUNNY!" at a packed house! Very weird behaviour.

(in reply to Invader_Ace)
Post #: 132
RE: Reasons I Love Cinema - 31/1/2012 8:54:01 PM   
Whistler

quote:

quote:

I love it when you're in the cinema and someone reacts in a totally genuine way. 

I had a situation not hugely dissimilar to that myself last night at a screening of Young Adult. The humour of the film is quite slight, but there is at least one genuinely surprising big laugh. When it hit, the audience erupted with laughter, except for one woman who quite literally stood up, turned around and shouted "IT's NOT THAT FUNNY!" at a packed house! Very weird behaviour.

Me too. When I saw The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo, in the scene where Lisbeth smacks Vanger with the golf club, saving Mikel, a woman shouted: "YES!" and started clapping uncontrollably, only realising afterwards that she'd actually done it. I felt happy for her that she was so into the movie haha

Post #: 133
RE: Reasons I Love Cinema - 31/1/2012 9:08:14 PM   
homersimpson_esq

Saw The General at the weekend at the cinema and, at the bit where Buster knocks the sleeper off the track with the other sleeper just in time while he's sat on the front of the train, there was spontaneous applause. Which is awesome, considering.

That deep-browed Homer ruled as his demesne.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 134
RE: Reasons I Love Cinema - 31/1/2012 9:37:44 PM   
Biggus

"They offered me a hundred grand. You wanna know something? When I found out I'd get my hands on you, I said I'd do it for nothing."

http://fletchsworldoffilm.wordpress.com/

Post #: 135
RE: Reasons I Love Cinema - 31/1/2012 9:39:06 PM   
garvielloken

quote:

ORIGINAL: homersimpson_esq

Saw The General at the weekend at the cinema and, at the bit where Buster knocks the sleeper off the track with the other sleeper just in time while he's sat on the front of the train, there was spontaneous applause. Which is awesome, considering.

Hey, no fair. I wish my cinema would show stuff like The General you lucky fucker. Do they show silent films often?

Exactly six miles north of Skagg Mountain in the Valley of Pain, there lives an evil devilmonster. His name is Bingo Gas Station Motel Cheeseburger With A Side Of Aircraft Noise And You'll Be Gary Indiana.

Razzle them, dazzle them. Razzle dazzle them.

Post #: 136
RE: Reasons I Love Cinema - 31/1/2012 9:41:08 PM   
homersimpson_esq

It gets better. It was at a silent comedy film festival, so it was actually in a concert hall with a live orchestra doing the accompaniment...

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

(in reply to garvielloken)
Post #: 137
RE: Reasons I Love Cinema - 31/1/2012 9:47:56 PM   
garvielloken

Cool. What else did they show? The only thing close to that I've ever seen was a showing of Nosferatu in a church with live organ and it was an amazing experience.

Exactly six miles north of Skagg Mountain in the Valley of Pain, there lives an evil devilmonster. His name is Bingo Gas Station Motel Cheeseburger With A Side Of Aircraft Noise And You'll Be Gary Indiana.

Razzle them, dazzle them. Razzle dazzle them.

Post #: 138
RE: Reasons I Love Cinema - 31/1/2012 10:40:18 PM   
homersimpson_esq

A Chaplin and L&H short, but there was stuff all weekend I couldn't get to sadly.

I've been very fortunate over the past three years to catch Sunrise, King of Kings, The Passion of Joan of Arc, La Roue, J'Accuse, Neighbors, and now The General, all on the big screen with live accompaniment. It's how they were meant to be, and it makes it electric.

Bristol Bad Film Club

(in reply to garvielloken)
Post #: 139
RE: Reasons I Love Cinema - 1/2/2012 2:15:12 AM   
NinjaShortbread212

OMG homer, you've no idea how much I envy your life right now! All ace films in my opinion.

Art

Post #: 140
RE: Reasons I Love Cinema - 1/2/2012 8:53:04 AM   
MartinBlank76

quote:

I love it when you're in the cinema and someone reacts in a totally genuine way.  So that even if it's a film I don't like, it makes me happy for them!

When Moulin Rouge was out, the scene where the evil boyfriend is critisizing the play that a princess would leave all her life for a pauper and McGregor's character blurts out "Because she loves me!".  In the moment of silence after that, the girl directly in front of my let out "OH NO!  You idiot!"  In such a genuine way, it was awesome.

Similarly after the big scene in the middle of Rise of the Planet of the Apes, in the moment of silence, two little kids down the front somewhere let out the two most astonished gasps I have ever heard.  It was great, I had to imagine their eyes were 3 foot wide!

And the rising wail of a 100 scarred childhoods when Kong bites it at the end.  Great stuff.

When we were at Bruno and the moment were the cop confronts him on the bus and Bruno calls him Paul Blart, my mate sitting beside me repeated 'Paul Blart!' out loud and burst out laughing. Which made me laugh even more. Its almost like he forgot he was in the cinema for a moment.

I'm just a fella. I think beer should be cold and boots should be dusty. I think 911 was bad. And freedom? Well, I think thats just a little bit better.

Post #: 141
RE: Reasons I Love Cinema - 1/2/2012 10:54:16 AM   
adambatman82

quote:

I've been very fortunate over the past three years to catch Sunrise, King of Kings, The Passion of Joan of Arc, La Roue, J'Accuse, Neighbors, and now The General, all on the big screen with live accompaniment. It's how they were meant to be, and it makes it electric.

I saw PASSION in complete silence in Leeds cathedral. It was quite something.

Continuing the pedantic streak (as per twitter), a couple of those films did actually have scores produced for them on initial release. Sunrise certainly did, and it's notable for being one of the first films with an actual "sound" track. Not only did it have music, but it also had sound effects too. All it lacked was dialogue. My point being, that to suggest that seeing them accompanied is "how they were meant to be" is actually a little off the mark, and would have been considered sacrilege by an "artist" like Murnau who would have wanted his work to have been seen exactly as he intended, and not with someone else's music playing over it.

Why I love film - the opportunity for genuine debate.

Post #: 142
RE: Reasons I Love Cinema - 1/2/2012 10:55:31 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

quote:

A Chaplin and L&H short, but there was stuff all weekend I couldn't get to sadly.

Which one?

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

Post #: 143
RE: Reasons I Love Cinema - 1/2/2012 12:52:56 PM   
homersimpson_esq

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gimli The Dwarf

quote:

Which one?

The Finishing Touch. It was ok, but there's a better silent short film about a man building a house in a short period of time...

And the Chaplin was The Adventurer if anyone was curious about that.

All can be found in my top 100 films post in that thread in L&T10s...

Adam, it warms my heart to hear other people being just as pedantic as me, but pfffffffft to you! I'm generalising about silent films and you know it!

Although why put "artist" in parentheses? Surely Murnau was an artist?

Bristol Bad Film Club

(in reply to Gimli The Dwarf)
Post #: 144
RE: Reasons I Love Cinema - 1/2/2012 3:09:10 PM   
Titanm21

quote:

I did this when I went to watch Serenity back in 2005. [Spoliers AHoy] when wash got killed everyone in a massive,  packed screening was quiet except me who went "Awwwwwwwwwww"!!!

www.TrailerHouseMusings@Blogspot.com

Join us for all the latest trailers in the world of Gaming, TV and Movies [also Facebook and Twitter]

Post #: 145
RE: Reasons I Love Cinema - 1/2/2012 3:15:16 PM   
Spaldron

quote:

quote:

I saw PASSION in complete silence in Leeds cathedral. It was quite something.

Continuing the pedantic streak (as per twitter), a couple of those films did actually have scores produced for them on initial release. Sunrise certainly did, and it's notable for being one of the first films with an actual "sound" track. Not only did it have music, but it also had sound effects too. All it lacked was dialogue. My point being, that to suggest that seeing them accompanied is "how they were meant to be" is actually a little off the mark, and would have been considered sacrilege by an "artist" like Murnau who would have wanted his work to have been seen exactly as he intended, and not with someone else's music playing over it.

Why I love film - the opportunity for genuine debate.

Slightly but does the dvd of Sunrise feature the original score Murnau intended? I'm only asking because I remember watching The General on dvd and the music really didn't fit, it sounded like it was done on a Casio keyboard in 1986 and didn't sound anything like your traditional silent score. Reminded me of when Queen redid Metropolis.

And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts
And I looked and behold, a pale horse
And his name that sat on him was Death
And Hell followed with him.

Post #: 146
RE: Reasons I Love Cinema - 1/2/2012 3:19:51 PM   
Whistler

quote:

ORIGINAL: Spaldron

Slightly but does the dvd of Sunrise feature the original score Murnau intended? I'm only asking because I remember watching The General on dvd and the music really didn't fit, it sounded like it was done on a Casio keyboard in 1986 and didn't sound anything like your traditional silent score. Reminded me of when Queen redid Metropolis.

I just watched it and that's exactly what I thought. It was the only thing that detracted from the film.

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 147
RE: Reasons I Love Cinema - 1/2/2012 3:52:07 PM   
steffols

Scarlets journey is probably the most inspirational story I have ever been given by films.

My favourite film as a small child.

Every single frame of Singin' In The Rain. Or any frame of any movie in which Gene Kelly appears.

It's midnight in Manhattan, this is no time to get cute, it's a mad dog's promenade,
So walk tall, or baby don't walk at all.

(in reply to gazpop)
Post #: 148
RE: Reasons I Love Cinema - 1/2/2012 4:54:42 PM   
Rhubarb

I could watch this gif for ages

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

ORIGINAL: FritzlFan

You organisational skills sicken me, Rhubarb.

(in reply to steffols)
Post #: 149
RE: Reasons I Love Cinema - 1/2/2012 5:22:51 PM   
DazDaMan

Just rewatching an old favourite - Battle of Britain. I was obviously born way too late to have been witness to anything like the events of 1940, but seeing massive formations of Heinkels and Messerschmitts being engaged by Spitfires and Hurricanes over southern England on the big screen (in 2005) as close to seeing those actual events as I'm ever going to get....

You fucking fuckers are gonna do what I say or I'm going to stick my foot so far up your assholes you'll rue the day you crawled out of your mother's twat!

(in reply to Rhubarb)
Post #: 150
Page:   <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> RE: Reasons I Love Cinema Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI