Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Joypad >> RE: Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning - 10/8/2012 7:40:03 AM   
Yeti

quote:

ORIGINAL: st3veebee

Think I'll pick this up soon enough (didn't see it in the Steam Sale) as I'm itching for a new RPG, and judging by the reviews above it seems that I should get a good few hours out of it!

164 hours and counting. (And I've only done a couple of main missions). Faction missions take a long time too (Well worth picking it up new and cheap for the House of Valour missions). As has been said before, there are a LOT of bloody side missions. A lot. They're not all just simple things, either).

Really sad there won't be a sequel now.

We sit over our keyboards shoveling Pot Noodles down our mouths. Not because we're hungry. Not because we like them. Just to stifle the sobs for another minute or two.

(in reply to st3veebee)
Post #: 31
RE: Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning - 11/8/2012 4:00:56 PM   
Fluke Skywalker

I've completed this and so **** MAJOR SPOILER ****

The final battles are really lame, just fighting a bunch of standard enemies before you come up against some demon that some badguy along the way has been trying to call up and who you can kill really easily. There's no killer ending, challenge, cut scene or anything and it just looks like a rushed job to me

**** SPOILER END ****

My overall conclusion is that KOA is a bit of a superficial experience. Initially you are sucked in by the fighting and levelling up of powers but eventually you become so powerful this just falls by the wayside. So what you are left with are plot and characters - and this game has really very little. I don't even know what the whole story was about, something about demons getting called up and you can surpass fate itself or something to beat said demon. It's bollocks.

So then you have to fall back on the characters - there's not one memorable one, not a single one and it's in these two vital elements that it really suffers in comparison with classic RPGs like Fallout 3 or the Mass Effect series. They try to cover this up this vacuum by throwing 200 side quests at you which is intially great, ultimately a grind.

In my view it's an intermittently enjoyable but flawed RPG that relies on quantity over quality - 6/10 - last's for fucking ages though!!!

(in reply to Yeti)
Post #: 32
RE: Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning - 3/9/2012 1:23:41 PM   
Harry Tuttle

Loving this despite it stealing my life.

40 hours in so far and I've only done about 4 main story quests. I just went off and did my own thing finding side quests to complete and guilds to join. I agree that the plot isn't the deepest but then again I'm only 4 story levels in so it's a bit unfair of me to judge it so early.

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Blood Island. So called because it's the exact shape of some blood

(in reply to Fluke Skywalker)
Post #: 33
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Joypad >> RE: Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI