Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Joypad >> Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning - 20/1/2012 2:06:28 PM   
sroey

I downloaded the demo for this yesterday and I was pleasantly surprised. It seems to be gathering some positive previews and feedback over at IGN.

http://youtu.be/6lhzDkaKi1w

Comes across as a much better Fable type game with better combat and more RPG elements

Post #: 1
RE: Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning - 20/1/2012 2:30:00 PM   
kata

Think I'll give the demo a try, sounds like my cup of tea.

XBL: GeneralLee79
PSN: GeneralLee_UK
Steam: GeneralLee_uk

Lovely detective work.

"Don't buy wigs that come off at the wrong time"

(in reply to sroey)
Post #: 2
RE: Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning - 6/2/2012 6:35:57 PM   
HIM

I think I'll give this a whirl after I've finished Skyrim and Mass Effect 3. Looks very good.

I read an interview with one of the devs and he was saying that he's scared people will overlook this game because they're either still playing Skyrim (which is entirely plausible) or they'll be tired of fantasy WRPGs and want something new. However, I think the success of Skyrim will help it. A lot of people who wouldn't normally be into fantasy WRPGs will have been introduced to the genre with Skyrim, so they're more likely to give Kingdoms of Amular a go if they enjoyed Skyrim. I quite like fantasy stuff in general but were it not for Skyrim, I don't think I'd have been too bothered about KoA:R. Although I will need to play Mass Effect 3 in between just so I don't O.D. on fantasy WRPGs and get bored of KoA:R. I've put over 55 hours into Skyrim and I've only just met Paarthurnax.

(in reply to kata)
Post #: 3
RE: Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning - 6/2/2012 6:37:38 PM   
HIM

Here's IGNs 9/10 review:

http://uk.ps3.ign.com/articles/121/1216517p1.html

(in reply to HIM)
Post #: 4
RE: Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning - 6/2/2012 6:56:34 PM   
kata

Demo reminded me of WoW in art style and Darksiders in gameplay. Gonna give this a rent.

Lovely detective work.

(in reply to HIM)
Post #: 5
RE: Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning - 6/2/2012 7:26:55 PM   
juanvasquez

I was suitably impressed by the demo. I liked the gameplay and the battle style, but these days I've barely got time for anything as involving as an RPG.

Check out my cult games reviews and features at Horror Cult Films

(in reply to kata)
Post #: 6
RE: Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning - 6/2/2012 8:04:35 PM   
From_Hell

I liked the demo - the comparison to Darksiders is about right, and it reminded me of Fable too. Except for the fact that it didn't appear to be broken. I've just started on Skyrim, then it'll be Mass Effect 3, so I might pick Amalur up cheap in about 6 months time

"What are you gonna do?"

"What I do best. I'm gonna kill 'em. Anyone that was involved. Anybody who profited from it. Anybody who opens their eyes at me."

(in reply to juanvasquez)
Post #: 7
RE: Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning - 14/2/2012 2:03:02 PM   
jinks

So did anyone buy this?

Picked it up Sunday (traded in Darkness 2 after finishing it) and its great. A lot like Dragon Age crossed with Fable and the combat is very good indeed, just the right side of hack n slash without becomming too repetitive and a far cry from Skyrim's 'twat you then you twat me' combat mechanic.

Clocked up around 7 and a half hours of play so far and not even touched the main story line yet.

(in reply to From_Hell)
Post #: 8
RE: Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning - 11/4/2012 8:47:16 PM   
kata

Just started this, done a few hours. Think I'm going to start again on hard though, been a bit easy.

Lovely detective work.

(in reply to jinks)
Post #: 9
RE: Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning - 11/4/2012 11:09:45 PM   
the anomaly

Played the demo ... just for the free ME3 armour and gun ...

BUT it played well. Felt like a solid game. Not breaking the mould BUT a solid and well made game.

If I had the time I would give it a spin.

(in reply to kata)
Post #: 10
RE: Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning - 12/4/2012 10:25:58 AM   
st3veebee

Missed ou ton the Origin half price deal two weeks ago, shame because I loved the demo. Best combat in some time (except for the auto aim bow which is just awful).

Apparently its the reverse of Skyrim: Fantastic combat but boring world and quests.

Latest Films:

Two days in New York: 4/5

Prometheus: 3.5/5

Abe Lincoln: VH 3/5

Twin Peaks: FWWM 3.5/5

(in reply to the anomaly)
Post #: 11
RE: Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning - 17/4/2012 9:37:07 AM   
jinks

Still beavering away at this too, although taken a back burner due to ME2. Downloaded the first DLC (next lot is out next week!), the whole setting was very very good although the final battle with Dead Kel was a little limp. But still, got myself a massive house, an art gallery, a bar, an ambassador (no ferero roché though) a wife and a yak. Not to mention a pet bear, wolf and rock golem, a library, an armoury and my own pit to fight in.

So yeah, the DLC gives you a LOT! Plus some nice weapons too, Prismere swords are especially lethal.  However as im reasonably leveled up (about lvl 29 i think) a lot of weapons im finding are nigh on useless, but still it all adds to the funds at the end of the day and with homes in the Gnome City, The House of Valour, some place next to a mine in the desert and another little place in some little town (had a problem with spiders) im not doing too badly really.

Side-quests can be slightly boring, basically go here -fetch me that-bring it back to me repetitiveness, but it  does little to tarnish an otherwise superb game  (so far one of my favourite games of this year).

(in reply to st3veebee)
Post #: 12
RE: Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning - 27/5/2012 8:24:49 PM   
Fluke Skywalker

I've gone and bought this and having played a few hours and so far it's pretty much an inferior Dragon Age rip off with decent combat. The way the maps are set out, the side missions, dialogue etc. are just copied and pasted from that game.

Graphically it's a big disappointment having played the likes of Castlevania, Crysis 2, Vanquish, Fable II to name a few it's a step back as far as I'm concerned it really doesn't look very good once you know what the 360 is capable of.

The combat is cool though, you can interchange two types of weapon in a battle along with using spells and things like that. Still nothing that special though, it's a rip off of Fable's fighting mechanics really.

It's still very early days though so I shouldn't jump to judge it too soon

(in reply to jinks)
Post #: 13
RE: Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning - 28/5/2012 10:38:21 AM   
st3veebee

Shame to hear about this game flopping and taking the company under with it. Far worse games have sold far more.

Latest Films:

(in reply to Fluke Skywalker)
Post #: 14
RE: Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning - 28/5/2012 5:59:33 PM   
Fluke Skywalker

Having played it a bit more I'm now thoroughly enjoying it!

The fighting is a lot of fun, you can send such a variety of firepower up the arses of baddies it makes it really cool. The game actively encourages it as using different weapons and powers in a fight adds to your 'Fate' bar which when it fills up and goes into a kind of bullet time. Not only does this slow everyone down but it allows you to pull a special move on one opponent to maximise your XP gains.

Essentially it's as good as I've seen for an RPG - in one battle I used special moves on my longsword, a chakram which is like a spining power blade you fling at people, earthquakes, lightning, a harpoon to drag people closer, the Fate bullet time thing. It's great to see larger enemies get rocked by your power when maybe in other games you'd be rolling about dodging and trying to get hits in.

Crafting weapons is a good idea but it means you have break down your gear into components and the quality of those is really random - apart from that you can make weapons/ armour gems and potions which all does add to the depth of the game.

Overall It's still a rip off of other RPGs but a fine one at that - shame the company went down, I bet part of it has to be down to the Skyrim effect - people invested so much time in that game they couldn't be arsed with another fantasy RPG.

(in reply to st3veebee)
Post #: 15
RE: Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning - 30/5/2012 5:07:15 PM   
Fluke Skywalker

Crafting is a really good touch - you can create some really powerful weapons and armour which are completely unique - the fact that you can name them is cool as well. It's great to be able to kill stuff with big arsed powerful swords you've created yourself!

Post #: 16
RE: Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning - 30/5/2012 7:51:31 PM   
Dark Knight

Picked this up from Shopto.net earlier this week for the great price of £17 (I think it is the weekly special so be quick) and after about 3 hrs play today, I am finding myself really liking it. Nice learning curve to it and enjoyable combat even if the wealth of talent trees look a little bewieldering at the moment. Looking forward to spending many hours in this...

"I'm too tense to speak!" - Borstal

Post #: 17
RE: Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning - 30/5/2012 9:39:53 PM   
Fluke Skywalker

I paid 35 quid

The skill trees are another rip off of Dragon Age, concentrate on your primary and secondary weapons of choice (I've got the Greatsword and Chakrams) looking to boost them up and then whatever powers you want (I use Earthquakes, lightning and Explosives). I'm currently playing as a Warrior/Mage so I've not invested any points as a rogue - the good thing is if you wasted a few points on areas you don't need you can go to a Fateweaver who will reset everything for a few thousand gold.

I'd advise you take on every single side mission because this allows you to power up quickly.

(in reply to Dark Knight)
Post #: 18
RE: Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning - 8/6/2012 4:04:37 PM   
Fluke Skywalker

I've wasted so many hours on this game - there are a ridiculous number of side quests and the general grinding, salvaging/ crafting weapons and armor, making gems to stick in your armour or weapons eats up a hell of a lot of time. I've hardly touched the main game because doing side missions takes you to new areas with more side missions

Post #: 19
RE: Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning - 20/6/2012 4:55:00 PM   
Fluke Skywalker

100 side quests and counting - this game has a ridiculous number of them, they aren't exactly massively varied either. Go to a region, find someone, kill someone, find an artifact, potion etc. etc. Frankly it's getting a bit silly

Post #: 20
RE: Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning - 16/7/2012 7:25:51 PM   
Fluke Skywalker

I had to take two weeks off from this game because I was getting bored with it - I played it again for an hour yesterday and got bored again, this is turning into a bit of a grind. The quality fighting wears off after a while because you just get way too powerful, you can be surrounded by 10 enemies and you can take them out without a scratch.

Post #: 21
RE: Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning - 24/7/2012 7:09:09 PM   
Yeti

I think if played in stints, this game is fantastic. Especially as it is probably dirt cheap by now. Solid graphics, solid gameplay... quite the shame the company went under.

We sit over our keyboards shoveling Pot Noodles down our mouths. Not because we're hungry. Not because we like them. Just to stifle the sobs for another minute or two.

Post #: 22
RE: Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning - 24/7/2012 7:37:06 PM   
Fluke Skywalker

The two major let downs are the samey-ness/ repetitiveness of the side quests and the ease of it. Piling up gold and getting powerful is way too easy - for a long time I did think this game was brilliant though but I'm finding it tough to complete. What they should have done is halve the number of side quests and made the most interesting ones twice as long with more complex story lines. For example the faction side quests are superb precisely because of their extended length and you really get into them because you want to see how things transpire.

I will agree it's a shame the company went down though, they are clearly a talented bunch.

(in reply to Yeti)
Post #: 23
RE: Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning - 25/7/2012 6:44:11 AM   
Yeti

Aye, there are a LOT of sidequests. I'll happily bumble about doing stuff (fast travel, I hug you) for groat, xp, a dandy ring etc. but as you say, sometimes less is more. I sometimes sighed when encountering a new town and seeing three or four exclamation marks. Trying to clear up a few missions inevitably leads to having three times the missions you had before. When I do my Hard runthrough (which I really don't think will be hard), I shall endeavour to go from point A to point B as rapidly as possible.

We sit over our keyboards shoveling Pot Noodles down our mouths. Not because we're hungry. Not because we like them. Just to stifle the sobs for another minute or two.

Post #: 24
RE: Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning - 26/7/2012 3:25:27 PM   
Fluke Skywalker

My completed quests number 139 and that's not including about 10 others I'm not bothering with because they include tasks you can't actually complete. One choice one is finding books - you find one and then you have to find the 2nd volume, find that - find the 3rd volume - I'm up to seven now, that is the extent of the quest it's a joke.

I am actually getting back into it though because I'm on another extended faction side quest which are the best ones

(in reply to Yeti)
Post #: 25
RE: Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning - 2/8/2012 12:08:45 AM   
directorscut

The music on the main menu is so blatantly a rip-off of Elfman's Spider-Man theme. They didn't even try to hide it.

< Message edited by directorscut -- 2/8/2012 12:09:06 AM >

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.

Post #: 26
RE: Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning - 3/8/2012 9:27:43 AM   
Yeti

Okay... after, uh, a hundred or more hours, not letting up on sidequests, tasks or faction missions... also not touching the main quest... this game is pretty natty for RPG grinders, and will keep you going for an absolute age. The side quests seem split into basic/bizarrely deep, the map is satisfyingly big, and the levelling system is pretty cool. Started out as a Rogue/Warrior, am now for some obscure reason Mage/TinybitrogueinsofarasIliketheBow.

For idle RPGers like me, it has absotivvolutely hours of entertainment to it. Since you can now grab it for 14.99 or less, you'd be a blithering eedjit not to give it a whirl.

(in reply to directorscut)
Post #: 27
RE: Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning - 3/8/2012 10:22:55 PM   
Fluke Skywalker

quote:

ORIGINAL: directorscut

The music on the main menu is so blatantly a rip-off of Elfman's Spider-Man theme. They didn't even try to hide it.

There's a blatantly ripped off Raider of The Lost Ark theme as well in the game, not the main one but the eerie one whenever the Ark is shown - you'll know it when you hear it.

I've now hit the level cap of 40 which is really annoying because it makes doing the side quests more of a chore as there's now no point XP wise. That said I'm so powerful now I don't even have to draw my sword - the minute enemies pop along I just hit them with a massive lightning attack a couple of times and its all over.

I also managed to kill a bunch of enemies without actually doing anything - I got attacked by a few baddies then got a phone call - nipped off to pick it up and when I came back they were all dead. One of the upgrades allows you to reflect damage and the knobs attacking me just got caned by their own attacks

< Message edited by Fluke Skywalker -- 3/8/2012 10:23:52 PM >

Post #: 28
RE: Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning - 9/8/2012 1:29:54 AM   
directorscut

The DLC is half price this week.

Anyone have it already and know when a good point to play it is - lvl. wise?

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.

Post #: 29
RE: Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning - 9/8/2012 11:12:28 AM   
st3veebee

Think I'll pick this up soon enough (didn't see it in the Steam Sale) as I'm itching for a new RPG, and judging by the reviews above it seems that I should get a good few hours out of it!

Latest Films:

Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Joypad >> Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI