Post #: 1
It has laughs. - 21/1/2012 7:55:45 PM   
tysmuse

Laughs a plenty.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
RE: The Sitter - 22/1/2012 12:29:11 PM   
Indio

Thought it was distinctly average, enjoyable enough but most of the funny bits were already on show in the trailer. It only runs about 80 minutes but seems a lot longer - Jonah Hill is getting a bit old for this sort of role, and maybe Sam Rockwell needs to think about getting a new agent. Best thing about it is the soundtrack.

'Think about the future.'

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 3
RE: The Sitter - 22/1/2012 1:34:59 PM   
Qwerty Norris

In many ways this was actually better than I expected, but not by a great deal..

Watching it frequently felt like a nightmare. Full of goolish, horrid individuals who made the skin crawl - both adult & children alike.

The laughs are cheap but I'd be lying if I said it didn't get any out of me. Even if he's dealing with extremely mediocre material, Jonah Hill as a comedic presence is always watchable. The nervy kid who looks like a young Win Butler was actually okay as well & brought a bit of heart to a fairly nasty film. And even if his character & performance is completely all over the place, Sam Rockwell could stand up on a stage, scream continuously in the mic for 2 hours & I'd still be entertained by him (although his character's HQ was beyond bizarre in the creepiest possible way). Can't go wrong with a Method Man cameo either!

A pretty poor, cliché-ridden effort that fudges the balance between sleaze & sentiment. That said, after the horrendous Your Highness, this is definitely a step up in the confusing directorial career of David Gordon Green.

2/5

Qwerty's Top 10 of 2013 (so far)

1. Zero Dark Thirty
2. No
3. A Hijacking
4. Behind the Candelabra
5. In The Fog
6. Good Vibrations
7. McCullin
8. Beyond the Hills
9. The Place Beyond the Pines
10. Wreck-it Ralph

(in reply to Indio)
Post #: 4
RE: The Sitter - 23/1/2012 9:46:27 AM   
Wild about Wilder

I liked it, did what it needed to do which is make me laugh & at just over 80mins didn't outstay it's welcome & allows you just to sit back & laugh at dumb shit & take your mind of stuff after a stressfull week, worth going to see just to see Sam "The Man" Rockwell haming it up as a phsycotic drug dealer/body builders gym owner?
3/5

(in reply to Qwerty Norris)
Post #: 5
RE: The Sitter - 25/3/2012 3:21:37 AM   
Goodfella

I enjoyed this, Jonah Hill and a series of well-delivered, typecast one-liners make it for me. I think my personal favourite was....

"What do you mean you lost my car? We're not talking about your Morrissey boxset here, where the fuck is my car!?"

Don't know why, but lines like this throughout the film which moved at a decent pace and was quite heartfelt in the odd moment, made me laugh out loud.

3/5

"It is the Shawshank Redemption! Just with more tunneling through shit and less fucking redemption."

If you can quote the rules, then you can obey them.

(in reply to Wild about Wilder)
Post #: 6
RE: The Sitter - 15/6/2012 7:50:53 AM   
Phubbs

The Sitter (2011)

I like Jonah Hill and his tubby antics, at first I didn't really dig him but he has definitely grown on me over time. I think he is good as a retro kind of comedian, he brings back memories of golden 80's comedies with lots of visual humour and cheeky dialog, bit like Kevin James.

I was hoping this would be the case for this newish film but it turns out to be a bit of a blank for me. It starts off so well, really good moments which did make me laugh out loud, when he gets introduced to the kids mainly as I recall.

The plot is totally unoriginal (no surprise there) but it has the promise of greatness, hints of possible classic setups which could be remembered for years to come...but alas!
I really don't wanna put this film down but it really could of been so good. After Hill's character leaves the gay crack den (oh yes) run by Rockwell it just goes down hill (no pun intended) with most of the laughs sucked away.

Your yearning for some really good hilarious stuff, you can see it just wanting to burst from the screen and slap you across the face. Maybe some John Candy type gold or Steve Martin type wackiness, Hill has the skills to do it but where is it here!?

The film becomes cumbersome and dull, too much swearing and too much emphasis on action/fighting type scenes instead of good comedy. Yes that can all work but it swamps Hill too much and doesn't allow him to really let fly, which I think he can do much better than here.

It wanted to be good but just feels flat and recycled, nothing to really make you come back for more. It is quite an obvious rip of a certain older flick (maybe its a remake/reboot?) but for once that doesn't matter as they chose the right lead for good belly laughs. I just don't think they knew how to utilize him properly.

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> The Sitter Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI