Post #: 1
Well... - 6/2/2012 2:07:49 PM   
bereski

Not so good. Great subject though.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
Great review - 8/2/2012 6:47:36 PM   
Miikesmama

Great review, film is ok, great magazine, Empire your the best yada yada yada...

But PLEASE! stop referring to Freud as swiss, when he was AUSTRIAN (as you do in the description to the Cronenberg-interview)! It just hurts my patriotic soul.
For your information, here's a list of other great Austrians (not Germans, not Swiss, not anything else): Mozart, Klimt, Kokoschka, von Horvath, Ferdinand Porsche, more film related: Billy Wilder, Christoph Waltz, Michael Haneke, Otto Preminger, Maximillian Schell and our very own A-nuld.

Keep up the good work

Post #: 3
Great review - 8/2/2012 7:11:00 PM   
Miikesmama

Great review, film is ok, great magazine, Empire your the best yada yada yada...

But PLEASE! stop referring to Freud as swiss, when he was AUSTRIAN (as you do in the description to the Cronenberg-interview)! It just hurts my patriotic soul.
For your information, here's a list of other great Austrians (not Germans, not Swiss, not anything else): Mozart, Klimt, Kokoschka, von Horvath, Ferdinand Porsche, more film related: Billy Wilder, Christoph Waltz, Michael Haneke, Otto Preminger, Maximillian Schell and our very own A-nuld.

Keep up the good work

Post #: 4
RE: Great review - 9/2/2012 11:52:52 PM   
sephiroth7

quote:

ORIGINAL: .

Keep up the good work

You're setting yourself up for the inevitable here pal ;)

I will never be a memory.

(in reply to Miikesmama)
Post #: 5
Yawn - 12/2/2012 7:27:21 PM   
tysmuse

My god, what a boring film. Unintentionally, one of the funniest things ever, it gave my the giggles.

Post #: 6
RE: Yawn - 18/2/2012 1:38:35 AM   
Rgirvan44

An awful film. Might write more tomorrow.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to tysmuse)
Post #: 7
RE: Yawn - 18/2/2012 11:37:13 AM   
adambatman82

Hadn't realised I hadn't written in here.

I loved the film, and it was in my top 3 of last years LFF. Knightley's performance, which I admit, is a love/hate one, won me over from the first scene, which in turn left me captivated for the duration. Vincent Cassel's "episode" within the film is fantastic too.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 8
Waste of my time - 20/2/2012 5:40:57 PM   
rickybeed

This really wasn't in any way a good film for me. I spent most of my time looking around at the other OAPs watching the film. Even the flash of Keira's flesh, was not enough to warant more than 1 star for this film.

Post #: 9
Liked it - 20/2/2012 5:49:14 PM   
sephiroth7

Solid effort, expected a bit more "danger" but it was fine.

Post #: 10
The exorcism of Keira Knightley - 26/2/2012 1:00:27 AM   
lolita37

Is what this film should have been called! She stole every scene she was in but only because the super skinny 'starlet' writhed and knotted about making the most ridiculous faces leaving everyone in pain of her casting!!
A star for each of the male leads, Vigo mortenson was nearly unrecognisable as Freud, confusingly ageing, and fassbender was true to form as Carl Jung, really embodying his inner decision demons! Fab 'cameo' by Vincent cassel, but even he couldn't save this utterly long winded and boring film. Cronemberg fail. So sad.

Post #: 11
Lacks The Depth That It Aspires To - 27/2/2012 4:10:28 AM   
blaud

A somewhat unconventional story choice for David Cronenberg, A Dangerous Method tries its best to create the vivid and grotesque emotions it's director is so accomplished in achieving, but ultimately comes up rather short, and, dare I say it, a little bland. It's not the fault of the cast either, who all put in stellar performances in their respective roles. Mortensen is most definitely the standout, however, with his portrayal of the illusive genius Sigmund Freud very much playing to his strengths, but never feeling bested by any of the other leads, despite their ventures into braver territories in their roles. That's not to say their performances are in any way poor however; Knightley, of whom I have been a fan for a long time now, puts in a worryingly acute performance in her portrayal of a disturbed young Russian woman. She achieves this end admirably but occasionally, particularly at the start of the film, it does feel a touch like overacting. Fassbender, on the other hand, yet again, has proven he's a more than capable young actor, and I'm sure he has yet to flourish in even more demanding roles. The key issue in this film however, is not the cast, or the script (which is decent), it's the screenplay. Too little time is spent exploring Freud and his methods, and any interesting conversations that seem to be leading to some interesting revelation are forgotten almost as soon as the scene has concluded. This makes the film feel shallow and unfinished, and the somewhat premature ending only seems to reiterate this fact. It's a dry venture, certainly, but the combined efforts of Mortensen, Knightley and Fassbender make it a rewarding experience nonetheless, and the cinematography is also very nice.

Post #: 12
A Dangerous Method Review - 11/3/2012 2:30:10 PM   
DaleLawson

This film has breathtaking performances from Fassbender, Knightley and Mortensen; as well as pleasant visuals and an intricate narrative. The film did, however, have questionable areas and a story which became difficult to follow in the scenes of deep psycological debates. However I recommend this film simply on the basis of the incredible actors and superb soundtrack.

Post #: 13
Keira Shiteley - 30/4/2012 8:42:13 AM   
GunnerGeezer

Take the ingredients.... Cronenberg, Fassbender, Mortenson, and it's a recipe to be savoured.. But then shove in Knightley, with possibly the worst ever acting performance since Drogba in the semi-final, and you have a recipe that not only leaves a bad taste in the mouth, but makes you want to gouge your own eyes out with a rusty spoon. She is truly awful and I vow to never watch anything with her in again. (Unless it's a girl on girl leaked sex tape.)

Post #: 14
A Cronenberg Masterpiece - - 31/7/2012 2:55:00 AM   
bobbyperu

I cannot understand the hostility this quite simply wonderful Cronenberg film has got - Easily in my top 10 of 2011 -

Post #: 15
WORTH SEEING..... - 6/9/2012 6:37:40 PM   
ROTGUT

Not exactly typical Cronenberg fare – but engrossing nevertheless. Don’t go into this expecting another History of Violence or Videodrome. For the most part, the story concerns the friendship between two men who have a little bit of a falling out and it’s all very polite and civilised. The period details are suitably stiff and underplayed and the verbal sparring between Freud and Jung has a convincing air of professionalism and respectful candour. But surprisingly, it’s ms Knightley who’s the real stand out. All vanity aside, at times I wondered if she really was a little bit crazy or was it all just acting. And there’s a tellingly good role by Vincent Cassel who - after his excellent turn in Black Swan - seems to have cornered the market in slimily repressed temptation. THREE STARS

Post #: 16
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> A Dangerous Method Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI