Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Elementary - US TV Gets On The Sherlock Bandwagon

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> RE: Elementary - US TV Gets On The Sherlock Bandwagon Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Elementary - US TV Gets On The Sherlock Bandwagon - 13/12/2012 9:38:02 AM   
Invader_Ace

I'm still watching it.  It's not brilliant, but it is diverting if you need something to fill your eyes for a while.
I really like Miller's Sherlock and Lui's Watson, I like that she is not useless, I like the relationship with Watson actually.  I never once thought that she would actually be leaving during the last episode though.  Isn't it just that she'll turn around and stay?  Maybe after he opens up a bit about Irene or something.  ...and surely they wouldn't give him a street wise black sidekick to repeatedly say " What up Holmes?"  Surely!

The show is really on the edge of being generic though, as mentioned, you could change the names and not have it as an adaption.  I think they need to introduce some more Holmes Mythos soon.  Where are the disguises? Why are all the crimes always murders and nothing else? No Mycroft or hint of Moriarty yet.  No hint of his boxing ability or prodigious strength.

Holmes it up!

(in reply to Base)
Post #: 61
RE: Elementary - US TV Gets On The Sherlock Bandwagon - 14/12/2012 1:54:17 PM   
indysgill

I thought the name from the past was going to be Moriarty not Adler.

Still I am enjoying this.

Double bill this tuesday.

It's not the years honey, Its the mileage.

Are you kidding? You get to go home and say "I punched Indiana Jones today". - Gary Oldman.

(in reply to Invader_Ace)
Post #: 62
RE: Elementary - US TV Gets On The Sherlock Bandwagon - 9/4/2013 10:42:56 PM   
Base

Did everyone give up on this after the break?

Can't be many episodes left and I just saw a piece of casting news which basically amounted to a big spoiler . Still, its one of the few shows that I watch straight away every week, even if the stories are formulaic, Jonny Lee Miller is excellent, even Lucy Liu isn't quite as annoying anymore!!!!

I am making a mental list of those who are snickering, and even as I speak I'm preparing appropriate retribution...!

(in reply to indysgill)
Post #: 63
RE: Elementary - US TV Gets On The Sherlock Bandwagon - 10/4/2013 1:40:25 PM   
buffster28

No i'm still watching and really enjoying it

" driver picks the music, shotgun shuts his cakehole "

(in reply to Base)
Post #: 64
RE: Elementary - US TV Gets On The Sherlock Bandwagon - 17/4/2013 7:37:39 PM   
Base

Enjoying the stories and characters (even Watson has improved!) but the hideously blatant product placement is bugging me!!!!

I am making a mental list of those who are snickering, and even as I speak I'm preparing appropriate retribution...!

(in reply to buffster28)
Post #: 65
RE: Elementary - US TV Gets On The Sherlock Bandwagon - 17/4/2013 7:50:28 PM   
musht

Really enjoying this if only for the characters because the stories are pretty poor most of the time. Lee Miller is excellent as Holmes, not too arrogant, warm to a certain degree, and also slightly autistic. Watson is a bit flat at times but she has been coming out of herself more recently thanks to Holmes' influence. Even the black detective isn't annoying me as much as usual.

"SAVE ME, BARRY!!"

"What the hell are Regionals!?"

"color=#F1F1F1" Spoiler text "/color"

(in reply to Base)
Post #: 66
RE: Elementary - US TV Gets On The Sherlock Bandwagon - 16/5/2013 11:09:31 PM   
Base

Bit obvious where the last episodes ending was going, especially since Natalie Dormer was in the credits after the casting was announced a while ago

Still, she was never actually going to be dead, doesn't seem to have anything whatsoever to do with the original character though.

Wondering if we will actually get the Moriarty reveal this season, haven't heard any casting news. Quite looking forward to the finale...!

(in reply to musht)
Post #: 67
RE: Elementary - US TV Gets On The Sherlock Bandwagon - 17/5/2013 7:09:38 AM   
pythonlove

I think this show is fantastic! I've been gobbling up episodes off my DVR two at a time and am sorry I'm late to the party. Any real Sherlock Holmes fan, which I am, is happy to see any new version of the great sleuth and Jonny Lee Miller does a wonderful job. Watson being a woman and his "sober companion" is a novel twist I think and the fact that he lives off the generosity of his unseen father explains how he can pursue this hobby/job with little or no concern about money. It also explains why the NYPD uses him - he's not just brilliant, he's free! Thank god the episodes don't waste any real time with the cops resisting his help, that would be annoying. They protest once in a while, but they know how good he is and trust him. Best of all, I think the scripts are truly brilliantly thought out. They are beautifully complex without being so convoluted that you lose the thread of logic that carries you through or that you cease to really care whodunnit. In every Holmes story, I live for all the moments where he figures things out in a genius but believable way, and this series gives us dozens of moments like that in each episode. It's exhilarating. It is definitely a big step above most US police procedurals, which tend to be so predictable once you get the pattern of the show's template. I also like the way they don't end them all the same way or linger too much on the moment where the criminal is nabbed - it's about the solution of the problem, not morality wins the day and criminal goes hysterical, blah blah blah. AND it manages to always slowly but surely advance the Holmes-Watson relationship...

I'm completely hooked. So glad it will be back for another season.

First of all, I don't think enjoying one Holmes incarnation means you have to negate all others. I really enjoyed the first RDJ movie, thought it was extremely clever. The second one had a great climax, but was otherwise a complete mess. I've enjoyed both series of SHERLOCK, and I look forward to the next one, but they are not perfect IMO. Some of the choices are a little too bizarre and far-fetched for my taste (boomerangs, planes full of dead bodies meant to crash, big spy conspiracies, etc) and a couple of the episodes (like S1E2) are just flat-out flops...again, IMO. No doubt Cumberbatch and Freeman are superb in their roles and the best current Holmes-Watson team, but I love the way Miller makes Holmes prickly and obsessive but also likeable and vulnerable. I don't know, we're talking very subtle differences here...but Miller's performance is just as satisfying as Cumberbatch's, at least to this Holmes fanatic.

The more Sherlock Holmes the better, I say. I've been reading Holmes pastiche novels and short stories for years, and I love watching how different writers use him and re-shape the legend in novel ways. He is simply one of the greatest fictional characters ever created. And he's timeless. Because he's a celebration of the human brain.

(in reply to Base)
Post #: 68
RE: Elementary - US TV Gets On The Sherlock Bandwagon - 17/5/2013 12:33:48 PM   
musht

quote:

ORIGINAL: Base

Bit obvious where the last episodes ending was going, especially since Natalie Dormer was in the credits after the casting was announced a while ago

Still, she was never actually going to be dead, doesn't seem to have anything whatsoever to do with the original character though.

Wondering if we will actually get the Moriarty reveal this season, haven't heard any casting news. Quite looking forward to the finale...!

I don't know where you got that, although admittedly I can't remember what we've heard about her so far apart from the artistry. Have we heard how they met or what she did professionally? Also it's not like her character was thoroughly developed and established in that one story Conan Doyle put her in so there's definitely room for creativity. I thought JLM's slow realisation that it was her was wonderful.

"SAVE ME, BARRY!!"

(in reply to Base)
Post #: 69
RE: Elementary - US TV Gets On The Sherlock Bandwagon - 17/5/2013 3:23:08 PM   
indysgill

quote:

ORIGINAL: musht

quote:

I don't know where you got that, although admittedly I can't remember what we've heard about her so far apart from the artistry. Have we heard how they met or what she did professionally? Also it's not like her character was thoroughly developed and established in that one story Conan Doyle put her in so there's definitely room for creativity. I thought JLM's slow realisation that it was her was wonderful.

I am sure I had some dust in my eye during that scene.

Are you kidding? You get to go home and say "I punched Indiana Jones today". - Gary Oldman.

(in reply to musht)
Post #: 70
RE: Elementary - US TV Gets On The Sherlock Bandwagon - 17/5/2013 4:23:11 PM   
Base

quote:

Ok, fair point, I thought she was supposed to be on Holme's intellectual level and able to outwit him, which isn't the impression I got from his reminiscing, but that is just his memory of the character anyway, we don't really know anything about her yet. Apparently the finale (hardly a spoiler, but look away if you want to go in totally blind) will deal with their relationship in flashbacks and show how he became an addict after her death.

And totally agree, JLM has been brilliant throughout, but when he saw her alive his performance was absolutely heart wrenching!!!

(in reply to musht)
Post #: 71
RE: Elementary - US TV Gets On The Sherlock Bandwagon - 18/5/2013 6:22:06 PM   
Base

Gah!!!! The finale has already shown in the US, and I'm subscribed to it's Facebook feed, d'oh!!! They've posted something that isn't quite a spoiler but is certainly a big hint

(in reply to Base)
Post #: 72
RE: Elementary - US TV Gets On The Sherlock Bandwagon - 19/5/2013 9:45:20 PM   
Professor Moriarty

Meh to the twists, I was on to it.

But I quite grew to like this show. It's still not Holmes to me, but I find it watchable and look forward to Season 2.

Despite the difference in networks, I like to think Elementary grew from House's ashes, so I liked the Vicodin nod.

(in reply to Base)
Post #: 73
RE: Elementary - US TV Gets On The Sherlock Bandwagon - 23/5/2013 10:08:05 PM   
Base

quote:

quote:

Hah, totally called it!!

Deflections on who the true villain is seems to be in vogue this year, I realised it was going to be someone we had already seen, though my money was on Griggs, this would have been my second choice though...

(in reply to musht)
Post #: 74
RE: Elementary - US TV Gets On The Sherlock Bandwagon - 23/5/2013 10:18:21 PM   
musht

quote:

quote:

quote:

Hah, totally called it!!

Deflections on who the true villain is seems to be in vogue this year, I realised it was going to be someone we had already seen, though my money was on Griggs, this would have been my second choice though...

Was not expecting that!! Great twist, adds some emotional heft to the Holmes/Moriarty relationship. I'm enjoying this so much more than I did Sherlock

"SAVE ME, BARRY!!"

(in reply to Base)
Post #: 75
RE: Elementary - US TV Gets On The Sherlock Bandwagon - 27/5/2013 3:25:27 PM   
Ref

I'm not sold on Adler/Moriarty slant just yet. I shall await the final episode to see how they'll pan it out.

Viewers of a nervous disposition may be interested to know that your television is off and I am speaking to you from inside your head...

Hugh Dennis, Mock the Week

Icon created by the talented JaD

(in reply to musht)
Post #: 76
RE: Elementary - US TV Gets On The Sherlock Bandwagon - 29/5/2013 12:11:57 AM   
musht

I'd be very surprised (and disappointed) if that was the last we saw of Moriarty. I thought Dormer was very good, a much better portrayal of Holmes's nemesis than that portrayed in Sherlock but I've always said that Sherlock didn't give itself enough time to establish Moriarty properly.

Looking forward to Season 2

"SAVE ME, BARRY!!"

(in reply to Ref)
Post #: 77
RE: Elementary - US TV Gets On The Sherlock Bandwagon - 29/5/2013 4:05:12 PM   
Base

Bit disappointed in the ending, Dormer was good as Moriarty but was just beaten far too quickly and easily. And the whole playing with Sherlock thing seemed to have nothing to do with her plan, was hoping for a cliff hanger leading into a season long battle between the two.

(in reply to musht)
Post #: 78
RE: Elementary - US TV Gets On The Sherlock Bandwagon - 29/5/2013 4:50:02 PM   
Captain Black

This sounds like it's gathered a bit of momentum - are there specific episodes I could watch to catch up on? Really don't fancy watching the lot if they're primarily procedurals.

Invisiotext:
[color=#F1F1F1]text[/color]

(in reply to Base)
Post #: 79
RE: Elementary - US TV Gets On The Sherlock Bandwagon - 29/5/2013 7:37:28 PM   
musht

quote:

Bit disappointed in the ending, Dormer was good as Moriarty but was just beaten far too quickly and easily. And the whole playing with Sherlock thing seemed to have nothing to do with her plan, was hoping for a cliff hanger leading into a season long battle between the two.

I think the whole point of her toying was that she did genuinely develop some feelings for him even if it did just stretch to a sense of strong admiration. She didn't want to kill him but because he was the only one who could come close to matching her intellectually she couldn't stay away. I agree she was defeated too easily but I bought into the fact that she would completely underestimate Watson and I do believe she'll be back ... I hope she will.

@Captain Black - I would recommend episode 12 and then 21 to 24. Having looked up the episodes they seem to be the primary ones. 15 is a good one too for back story but you could get away without it.

"SAVE ME, BARRY!!"

(in reply to Base)
Post #: 80
RE: Elementary - US TV Gets On The Sherlock Bandwagon - 1/6/2013 3:55:55 PM   
Ref

quote:

quote:

I think the whole point of her toying was that she did genuinely develop some feelings for him even if it did just stretch to a sense of strong admiration. She didn't want to kill him but because he was the only one who could come close to matching her intellectually she couldn't stay away. I agree she was defeated too easily but I bought into the fact that she would completely underestimate Watson and I do believe she'll be back ... I hope she will.

And because Moriarty was defeated so easily makes me think that she's not the real one. And the whole thing of Moriarty telling Sherlock to let her win, no no no. Holmes and Moriarty were always testing each other for their strengths and weaknesses, Moriarty would not want Sherlock to just let a case slide. Yes, Moriarty wants to win, but he/she wants Holmes to give as good as he's got.

Viewers of a nervous disposition may be interested to know that your television is off and I am speaking to you from inside your head...

(in reply to musht)
Post #: 81
RE: Elementary - US TV Gets On The Sherlock Bandwagon - 1/6/2013 5:16:43 PM   
Base

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ref

quote:

quote:

And because Moriarty was defeated so easily makes me think that she's not the real one. And the whole thing of Moriarty telling Sherlock to let her win, no no no. Holmes and Moriarty were always testing each other for their strengths and weaknesses, Moriarty would not want Sherlock to just let a case slide. Yes, Moriarty wants to win, but he/she wants Holmes to give as good as he's got.

That was my first thought on her telling him to let her win, but actually that does fit with this version of Moriarty, who is obviously very different from previous ones. She does enjoy the challenge but really didn't want it to get so far that she was forced to kill him, kind of a nice reversal on the hero usually wanting a respected villain to back down before they are forced to kill them.

(in reply to Ref)
Post #: 82
RE: Elementary - US TV Gets On The Sherlock Bandwagon - 1/6/2013 6:08:02 PM   
Captain Black

Cheers Musht, nice and concise.

Invisiotext:
[color=#F1F1F1]text[/color]

(in reply to Base)
Post #: 83
RE: Elementary - US TV Gets On The Sherlock Bandwagon - 8/7/2013 7:56:15 PM   
Ref

SPOILER TAGS AHOY!

Ok I'll write the next bit in invisible ink (), just in case there are some fans not wanting to know new cast members. So hi-light away to spoil yourself *SPOILERS* Rhys Ivans as Mycroft and Sean Pertwee as Lestrade. The series opener will start off in London, where Holmes and Watson take a look at an old unsolved crime. *SPOILERS*

Interesting. Digital Spy stated that Series three will air in September for the yanks, but who knows when it'll arrive on our airwaves.

(in reply to Captain Black)
Post #: 84
RE: Elementary - US TV Gets On The Sherlock Bandwagon - 8/7/2013 8:31:49 PM   
musht

quote:

SPOILER TAGS AHOY!

Ok I'll write the next bit in invisible ink (), just in case there are some fans not wanting to know new cast members. So hi-light away to spoil yourself *SPOILERS* Rhys Ivans as Mycroft and Sean Pertwee as Lestrade. The series opener will start off in London, where Holmes and Watson take a look at an old unsolved crime. *SPOILERS*

Interesting. Digital Spy stated that Series three will air in September for the yanks, but who knows when it'll arrive on our airwaves.

Are they actually shooting in London? Some of the first season's flashback were "in London" but quite obviously filmed stateside which was off putting. Also, I presume you mean 'two' not 'three'.

EDIT; delighted with that casting!!

< Message edited by musht -- 8/7/2013 8:32:23 PM >

"SAVE ME, BARRY!!"

(in reply to Ref)
Post #: 85
RE: Elementary - US TV Gets On The Sherlock Bandwagon - 8/7/2013 8:32:56 PM   
indysgill

Its like the 90's all over again!

Also, its series 2 not 3 and we usually get it a few months later. Although Sky and Syfy and FX seem to be aring shows within the week of the US air date, so heres hoping.

(in reply to Ref)
Post #: 86
RE: Elementary - US TV Gets On The Sherlock Bandwagon - 8/7/2013 9:02:06 PM   
musht

quote:

ORIGINAL: indysgill

Its like the 90's all over again!

Also, its series 2 not 3 and we usually get it a few months later. Although Sky and Syfy and FX seem to be aring shows within the week of the US air date, so heres hoping.

Unless it's Dexter or True Blood. Months behind it's infuriating. Although in fairness they used to be a year behind

"SAVE ME, BARRY!!"

(in reply to indysgill)
Post #: 87
RE: Elementary - US TV Gets On The Sherlock Bandwagon - 9/7/2013 3:19:39 PM   
Ref

Oops It was a mid-series break rather than a new series, wasn't it. Of what I've read, it will indeed be shot in London. I completely agree that the England shots in the last series were so obviously filmed in the US. No English/European cars in sight, and the street and houses were far too big for the Ol' Smoke.

(in reply to musht)
Post #: 88
RE: Elementary - US TV Gets On The Sherlock Bandwagon - 9/7/2013 5:28:28 PM   
musht

quote:

Oops It was a mid-series break rather than a new series, wasn't it. Of what I've read, it will indeed be shot in London. I completely agree that the England shots in the last series were so obviously filmed in the US. No English/European cars in sight, and the street and houses were far too big for the Ol' Smoke.

The writers tweeted a photo of New Scotland Yard the other day, so thank god they're using London

"SAVE ME, BARRY!!"

(in reply to Ref)
Post #: 89
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> RE: Elementary - US TV Gets On The Sherlock Bandwagon Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI