Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Elementary - US TV Gets On The Sherlock Bandwagon

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> RE: Elementary - US TV Gets On The Sherlock Bandwagon Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Elementary - US TV Gets On The Sherlock Bandwagon - 29/2/2012 8:31:27 PM   
buffster28

i don't mind the casting of lucy liu - i guess they've gone with a female watson to make it different to the brit version.

don't know why they made a US version though then got a brit to play holmes , doesn't really make much sense. it's only got a different setting going for it.

" driver picks the music, shotgun shuts his cakehole "

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 31
RE: Elementary - US TV Gets On The Sherlock Bandwagon - 22/3/2012 10:25:20 AM   
spark1

1st look at-

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/ustv/news/a372446/elementary-jonny-lee-miller-lucy-liu-film-new-sherlock-pictures.html

(in reply to buffster28)
Post #: 32
RE: Elementary - US TV Gets On The Sherlock Bandwagon - 6/9/2012 10:48:33 AM   
BudBaxter

Really enjoyed the pilot for this. Quite low key & very different in tone & style to the BBC/Moffatt version.

Jonny Lee Miller was nicely twitchy, & he has decent chemistry with Lucy Liu. The plot was suitably convoluted, & it's always nice to see Aidan Quinn onscreen. One to add to the planner when it starts later this year.

(in reply to spark1)
Post #: 33
RE: Elementary - US TV Gets On The Sherlock Bandwagon - 6/9/2012 2:51:13 PM   
elab49

It wasn't Sherlock Holmes - all that expositional chat an all. It can call the character what it likes, but it's not. It also, I think, thinks it's far cleverer than it actually is - all slightly superficial and even pulls the drop things on floor and luckily find eureka moment poking out at you.

So leaving that aside is it watchable? It was OK. It doesn't hit the heights it think it does and it's not got any humour, brilliance, verve or wit. It's basically another formula US 'tec show with a twitchy lead and sidekick (who was OK although failed miserably at conveying caring about baseball - which was, I thought, the only part of the show that even came close to hitting the name it's claiming).

Also - duty to warn. Does every US therapist ignore this? Or just in formula TV?

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to BudBaxter)
Post #: 34
RE: Elementary - US TV Gets On The Sherlock Bandwagon - 6/9/2012 9:07:47 PM   
Shifty Bench

You're right, it isn't Sherlock Holmes at all and I found myself not really caring about the mystery. I found the majority of it pretty dull and despite all of it's 'clever' lines, I didn't find it particularly well-written.

Miller was fine, though and it is always good to see Aidan Quinn who was one of the best things of last year's poor Prime Suspect remake.

Extended Edition Podcast- Episode 46:Threads Of Destiny (Star Wars Fan Film)

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 35
RE: Elementary - US TV Gets On The Sherlock Bandwagon - 6/9/2012 9:31:22 PM   
homersimpson_esq

quote:

ORIGINAL: Harley Quinn

Why have they got to Americanise him? It's almost as bad as Miss Marple being played by Jennifer Garner.

Please tell me this is a thing.

That deep-browed Homer ruled as his demesne.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

(in reply to Harley Quinn)
Post #: 36
RE: Elementary - US TV Gets On The Sherlock Bandwagon - 6/9/2012 9:46:52 PM   
elab49

It was rumoured but seems to have disappeared into the ether. Thank frak.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

(in reply to homersimpson_esq)
Post #: 37
RE: Elementary - US TV Gets On The Sherlock Bandwagon - 6/9/2012 9:46:53 PM   
Shifty Bench

It was, last year, yeah- click

Nothing has come of it since, though.

(in reply to homersimpson_esq)
Post #: 38
RE: Elementary - US TV Gets On The Sherlock Bandwagon - 23/10/2012 11:32:50 AM   
Professor Moriarty

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

It wasn't Sherlock Holmes - all that expositional chat an all. It can call the character what it likes, but it's not. It also, I think, thinks it's far cleverer than it actually is - all slightly superficial and even pulls the drop things on floor and luckily find eureka moment poking out at you.

So leaving that aside is it watchable? It was OK. It doesn't hit the heights it think it does and it's not got any humour, brilliance, verve or wit. It's basically another formula US 'tec show with a twitchy lead and sidekick (who was OK although failed miserably at conveying caring about baseball - which was, I thought, the only part of the show that even came close to hitting the name it's claiming).

Also - duty to warn. Does every US therapist ignore this? Or just in formula TV?

3 episodes in now and I'd consider this one of the more watchable shows at the moment. As noted above its not Holmes and it has a number of failings, but the cases are actually quite good and there is a slightly tortured Holmesian element about the character.

The feeling that I can't get over is that we've ditched House for Holmes. And the great strength of House (in the first 3 seasons at least) was his effect on those around him. Here we've very much got a two person dynamic and I just can't see that carrying this show the distance. In this case, a weak case is going to equate to a weak show and I don't believe the writers will be able to pull strong cases out week in week out.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 39
RE: Elementary - US TV Gets On The Sherlock Bandwagon - 23/10/2012 12:45:53 PM   
elab49

Have you seen Last Resort? Sadly it looks to be in cancellation territory, but I'd say it's the best of the network bunch this year so far. 

quote:

(in reply to Professor Moriarty)
Post #: 40
RE: Elementary - US TV Gets On The Sherlock Bandwagon - 23/10/2012 12:48:48 PM   
Professor Moriarty

quote:

Have you seen Last Resort? Sadly it looks to be in cancellation territory, but I'd say it's the best of the network bunch this year so far. 

Not seen it. I've read about it and it sounded interesting. I tend to watch procedurals as they are on. But prefer to save up ongoing stories until the whole season is available. I had the impression that Last Resort was in this category. I guess that also helps buffer me against early cancellations.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 41
RE: Elementary - US TV Gets On The Sherlock Bandwagon - 23/10/2012 12:58:00 PM   
elab49

I wish I hadn't started it myself - I barely watched anything last year to protect against dumb cancellations!

quote:

Post #: 42
RE: Elementary - US TV Gets On The Sherlock Bandwagon - 23/10/2012 1:23:23 PM   
Professor Moriarty

quote:

I wish I hadn't started it myself - I barely watched anything last year to protect against dumb cancellations!

I know. I'm also staying out of the way of Vegas and Nashville for similar reasons right now.

I hope they are good as I just looked through the list of shows I've watched this year. I watch some crap, you know

Back to Elementary. I do sometimes wonder how many procedurals CBS think they can fit in their schedules (CSI, NCIS, Criminal Minds, Mentalist, Hawaii Five-0, Unforgettable, Person of Interest, Elementary). But there's obviously a demand they are able to cater for here that they also seem to be able to keep growing.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 43
RE: Elementary - US TV Gets On The Sherlock Bandwagon - 23/10/2012 11:33:48 PM   
musht

Just after watching the first episode tonight.

SPOILERS

Not half bad. I like that they're not using the books (like Sherlock) even if the case was a bit weak; forcing your wife to get plastic surgery to make her more appealing to a serial killer, really? I also like that so far they haven't tried to introduce a Moriarty story-arc.

I think Miller has potential. I'm not a massive fan of Cumberbatch's take on the character anyway so I'm glad Miller didn't try and copy it. As for Lieu as Watson, she didn't jump off the screen but she wasn't terrible either. I think there's a lot of potential for their relationship as long as they don't go down the romantic route which I doubt they will.

"SAVE ME, BARRY!!"

"What the hell are Regionals!?"

"color=#F1F1F1" Spoiler text "/color"

Post #: 44
RE: Elementary - US TV Gets On The Sherlock Bandwagon - 24/10/2012 7:59:10 PM   
originalcynic

Elementary. Quite a poor pilot (they didn't have sufficient proof that he was guilty) but I'll give it a second chance. It's no Sherlock.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 45
RE: Elementary - US TV Gets On The Sherlock Bandwagon - 29/10/2012 6:08:36 PM   
buffster28

having just seen the pliot it was decent enough - but like virtually every other detective / cop procedural show . thy just seem to have taken the sherlock / watson names for brand recognition.

(in reply to originalcynic)
Post #: 46
RE: Elementary - US TV Gets On The Sherlock Bandwagon - 1/11/2012 2:00:04 AM   
SWOTBM

I liked it. I've only seen the first two episodes but the cursed genius take on Holmes has potential and is definitely something they should develop through the relationship with Liu (as a ''companion'', not a love interest). I've never been a massive fan of Liu but I though she was ok. The unsung hero for me was the police chief (Gregson?), I thought the friendship/respect with Holmes was a nice touch. The plot/writing isn't as bad as some would make out imo; I might have a strong suspicion as to who the perpetrator is, but the filling in the blanks is well done.

PSN: light_brigade
Gamertag: chauders

(in reply to buffster28)
Post #: 47
RE: Elementary - US TV Gets On The Sherlock Bandwagon - 2/11/2012 11:58:03 PM   
Shifty Bench

Some of the score to this show reminds me of the start of How We Operate by Gomez.

(in reply to SWOTBM)
Post #: 48
RE: Elementary - US TV Gets On The Sherlock Bandwagon - 25/11/2012 6:48:36 PM   
theoriginalcynic

I'm getting bored with it now. This show would be better with a season long arc.
Post #: 49
RE: Elementary - US TV Gets On The Sherlock Bandwagon - 25/11/2012 10:38:12 PM   
musht

The stories are crap which is a pity because Lee Miller is a great Holmes

"SAVE ME, BARRY!!"

(in reply to theoriginalcynic)
Post #: 50
RE: Elementary - US TV Gets On The Sherlock Bandwagon - 26/11/2012 1:15:11 AM   
theoriginalcynic

He's an OK Holmes, at times irritating, and nowhere near as good as Cumberbatch.

(in reply to musht)
Post #: 51
RE: Elementary - US TV Gets On The Sherlock Bandwagon - 26/11/2012 12:01:20 PM   
musht

quote:

ORIGINAL: theoriginalcynic

He's an OK Holmes, at times irritating, and nowhere near as good as Cumberbatch.

I much prefer him to Cumberbatch which is why it's disappointing that the stories are crap. Cumberbatch's Holmes is far too arrogant for my liking, he's a bit of a condescending prick and I've never got that from the books. Miller's Holmes is more human and vulnerable which I think really works.

"SAVE ME, BARRY!!"

Post #: 52
RE: Elementary - US TV Gets On The Sherlock Bandwagon - 26/11/2012 2:51:19 PM   
theoriginalcynic

That's funny because I find Miller's Holmes condescending and arrogant!

(in reply to musht)
Post #: 53
RE: Elementary - US TV Gets On The Sherlock Bandwagon - 26/11/2012 3:05:51 PM   
sanchia

As do I, in a House manner as others have mentioned before.

Nothing to see here.

Post #: 54
RE: Elementary - US TV Gets On The Sherlock Bandwagon - 8/12/2012 10:57:08 AM   
Base

Have people given up on this? Must say I'm enjoying it more and more as it goes on. Definitely Sherlock Lite, but very watchable and the stories are getting better. Watson is somewhat peripheral, but Holmes and Aidan Quinns character are great.

No love at all??

I am making a mental list of those who are snickering, and even as I speak I'm preparing appropriate retribution...!

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 55
RE: Elementary - US TV Gets On The Sherlock Bandwagon - 8/12/2012 11:10:59 AM   
sanchia

I enjoy it. It is not necessarily great television but it is diverting enough. In no way do I think of it as a Sherlock Holmes show because I do not associate the character in any way with those character (other than names). The Sherlock association I tend to think is actually detrimental to the show in many ways.

< Message edited by sanchia -- 8/12/2012 11:29:43 AM >

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to Base)
Post #: 56
RE: Elementary - US TV Gets On The Sherlock Bandwagon - 8/12/2012 11:16:55 AM   
Base

True, it would work just fine with different character names, tho then people would call it a rip off for the few similarities to Sherlock that they do use!

I am making a mental list of those who are snickering, and even as I speak I'm preparing appropriate retribution...!

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 57
RE: Elementary - US TV Gets On The Sherlock Bandwagon - 8/12/2012 11:36:28 AM   
sanchia

I believe there is an exception of exceptional storylines due to the Sherlock Holmes association which is the aspect in which the show primarily lacks. This appears to be the main area I can see the critique coming from.

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to Base)
Post #: 58
RE: Elementary - US TV Gets On The Sherlock Bandwagon - 9/12/2012 4:57:13 PM   
buffster28

still watching it and enjoying it - i like the sherlock character , but have yet to see the Cumberbatch version i did just pick up season 1 on dvd so will have to get round to watching it at some point.

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 59
RE: Elementary - US TV Gets On The Sherlock Bandwagon - 12/12/2012 9:25:41 PM   
Base

I was reading a quote from Jonny Lee Miller saying that he thinks the main thing with any Sherlock adaptation is the relationship between Holmes and Watson. Wonder what he really feels about doing this, where I really think that is the weakest thing about the show. I still really enjoy it, but it is that relationship that is really letting it down and making it clearly not really Sherlock Holmes (even tho I think the Sherlock character is terrific and he plays him well!).

Anyway, looks like Watson may already be on the way out (haven't read anything about future series, or even if there are going to be any so no idea if the latest episode was a bluff!). I would have thought it was just setting up an end of season where she decides to stay but for the introduction of a possible replacement (who does look a lot more interesting, even if they are still just trying to go as far from the classic interpretation of Watson as they possibly can).

(in reply to buffster28)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> RE: Elementary - US TV Gets On The Sherlock Bandwagon Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI