Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Elementary - US TV Gets On The Sherlock Bandwagon

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> Elementary - US TV Gets On The Sherlock Bandwagon Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Elementary - US TV Gets On The Sherlock Bandwagon - 18/1/2012 11:52:03 AM   
Timon

Don't act so surprised.

US network CBS has ordered a new pilot based on Sherlock Holmes just days after it was revealed the detective will return for a third season on UK pubcaster BBC1.

The pilot, called Elementary (working title), will relocate Sir Arthur Conan Doyle’s literary hero from Baker Street, London, to New York City where he will be put to work solving crimes. It is produced by CBS Television Studios and Timberman-Beverly Productions (Unforgettable). Robert Doherty (Ringer) will write the pilot and exec-produce with Sarah Timberman and Carl Beverly.

This is the latest revival for the detective, following the Hollywood blockbusters starring Robert Downey Jr and Jude Law with director Guy Ritchie.

The BBC has also found worldwide success with its own revamping of the character with Sherlock.CBS Television Studios.

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Twitter: @timonsingh
Post #: 1
RE: Elementary - US TV Gets On The Sherlock Bandwagon - 18/1/2012 12:02:22 PM   
elab49

What press organ uses the word 'pubcaster'?

Writer of Ringer? My money is on it not making it past a pilot.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 2
RE: Elementary - US TV Gets On The Sherlock Bandwagon - 18/1/2012 12:20:15 PM   
FilthWizard

Oh for fu...

It's April. What do you expect?

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 3
RE: Elementary - US TV Gets On The Sherlock Bandwagon - 18/1/2012 12:49:50 PM   
Zaphod121

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

Writer of Ringer? My money is on it not making it past a pilot.

I really hope you're right.

"Everyone wins. Except Abed. But, you know, not everyone can win"

My Brothers Web-Series

My YouTube Channel

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 4
RE: Elementary - US TV Gets On The Sherlock Bandwagon - 18/1/2012 2:54:08 PM   
Darth Marenghi

quote:

Fairly sure it's Variety.

Invisible Text for SPOILERS: "color=#F1F1F1" Spoiler text "/color" , then change the quotation marks to square brackets.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 5
RE: Elementary - US TV Gets On The Sherlock Bandwagon - 18/1/2012 5:08:39 PM   
Harley Quinn

Why have they got to Americanise him? It's almost as bad as Miss Marple being played by Jennifer Garner.

"A mother's love for her child is like nothing else in the world. It knows no law, no pity, it dares all things and crushes down remorselessly all that stands in its path."

Owner of the Naughty Milkmaid.

(in reply to Darth Marenghi)
Post #: 6
RE: Elementary - US TV Gets On The Sherlock Bandwagon - 18/1/2012 6:25:09 PM   
Captain Black

quote:

ORIGINAL: Darth Marenghi

Fairly sure it's Variety.

Yup - and if they used skein as well, then it's an absolute certainty.

Invisiotext:
[color=#F1F1F1]text[/color]

(in reply to Darth Marenghi)
Post #: 7
RE: Elementary - US TV Gets On The Sherlock Bandwagon - 19/1/2012 2:49:36 AM   
Saltire

quote:

ORIGINAL: Harley Quinn

Why have they got to Americanise him? It's almost as bad as Miss Marple being played by Jennifer Garner.

Its pointless as they already did that with House - why don't they just show our recent TV series over there? feckin Yanks...

(in reply to Harley Quinn)
Post #: 8
RE: Elementary - US TV Gets On The Sherlock Bandwagon - 19/1/2012 10:00:10 AM   
elab49

They do - it's on BBC America, isn't it?

Apart from the abomination of people like charlton Heston playing him, does anyone else remember this?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0093850/

their last attempt at modernising him in the US.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

(in reply to Saltire)
Post #: 9
RE: Elementary - US TV Gets On The Sherlock Bandwagon - 19/1/2012 10:02:14 AM   
paul_ie86

The person who made the page spelled descendant wrong.

My Group Project's facebook page. Please like

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 10
RE: Elementary - US TV Gets On The Sherlock Bandwagon - 19/1/2012 10:29:00 AM   
Darth Marenghi

quote:

PBS co-fund it or something, so they show it as part of Masterpiece Theatre.

Invisible Text for SPOILERS: "color=#F1F1F1" Spoiler text "/color" , then change the quotation marks to square brackets.

(in reply to paul_ie86)
Post #: 11
RE: Elementary - US TV Gets On The Sherlock Bandwagon - 19/1/2012 11:08:48 AM   
impqueen

quote:

Apart from the abomination of people like charlton Heston playing him, does anyone else remember this?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0093850/

their last attempt at modernising him in the US.

That's sounds awful, I must track it down.

Yes, always.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 12
RE: Elementary - US TV Gets On The Sherlock Bandwagon - 19/1/2012 11:17:46 AM   
elab49

I liked Margaret Colin so actually wanted to see it at the time!

quote:

(in reply to impqueen)
Post #: 13
RE: Elementary - US TV Gets On The Sherlock Bandwagon - 19/1/2012 11:26:43 AM   
paul_ie86

I always suspected you were a big fan of Three Men and a Baby.

My Group Project's facebook page. Please like

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 14
RE: Elementary - US TV Gets On The Sherlock Bandwagon - 19/1/2012 11:30:49 AM   
elab49

I did look out for her in it though - I enjoyed a law series called Foley Square (also with Hector Elizondo) and something else came shortly after. They are probably dated and awful now though!

quote:

(in reply to paul_ie86)
Post #: 15
RE: Elementary - US TV Gets On The Sherlock Bandwagon - 19/1/2012 1:20:15 PM   
Chief

I can see him now wearing jeans, rolling over car bonnets and shooting bad guys.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 16
RE: Elementary - US TV Gets On The Sherlock Bandwagon - 19/1/2012 9:29:37 PM   
HIM

House basically is Holmes and it's set in America. I'm willing to give this a go though. After all, if someone had said 8 years ago that they're going to relocate Holmes to a New Jersey, make him a diagnostician and change his name to 'House' you'd all be up in arms about. But look how well that turned out.

(in reply to Chief)
Post #: 17
RE: Elementary - US TV Gets On The Sherlock Bandwagon - 19/1/2012 9:45:03 PM   
elab49

With standard formula US TV? Every epi following the same pattern, the same twists, kind of tediously? Not bad performances - but writing? Not for me. 

quote:

(in reply to HIM)
Post #: 18
RE: Elementary - US TV Gets On The Sherlock Bandwagon - 19/1/2012 9:53:07 PM   
HIM

House follows the same format every episode.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 19
RE: Elementary - US TV Gets On The Sherlock Bandwagon - 22/1/2012 1:32:21 PM   
elab49

There's an interesting comment from the Sherlock producer on Digitalspy. Apparently CBS had initially discussed remaking the BBC series but then decided to, paraphrasing, 'make one of their own'. No doubt cheaper in terms of rights - but not if the lawyers adjudge they've infringed the creative rights of the BBC version (altough they obviously can't lay claim to remaking Holmes there is plenty they own in their version). 

quote:

(in reply to HIM)
Post #: 20
RE: Elementary - US TV Gets On The Sherlock Bandwagon - 22/1/2012 2:23:57 PM   
jobloffski

Yup, House/Holmes Watson/Wilson.

Maybe there's room, however, for more specific focus on the Holmes character as even more maladjusted than any previous version, and making him as dark as he would be, if the drug use was portrayed more explicitly?

It's a potential road to go down, given how much all adaptations to date make of even the tiniest details, such as Moriarty, who features practically not at all, only possibly passing Watson near the Reichenback falls and with activities referred to only as reportage from Holmes and the final showdown happening in the book equivalent of 'off camera'.

So, modern holmes, sharp of mind, but addicted to either legal or illegal 'mood calmers' that make his character one that is unstable to say the least, nothing to live for unless there's a problem to solve, emotionally untouchable, but wanting to somehow help people, despite apparently hating them for being less clever than him.

People often seem to think they'd like to be Holmes, how about an iteration of the character that suggests, 'no, you really don't want to be this man'?

Shit, that's still pretty much House, isn't it?

< Message edited by jobloffski -- 22/1/2012 2:37:31 PM >

Yes, dreamers dream and doers do. But if dreamers DON'T dream, doers don't have anything TO do. Everything that is only here because people exist, only exists because someone thought of it., or in other words, dreamed it.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 21
RE: Elementary - US TV Gets On The Sherlock Bandwagon - 22/1/2012 2:39:00 PM   
elab49

It's a bit glib, though - just selling an outline character type. Not to mention the initial obligatory mistakes each episode. Certainly not enough IMO to go for 'Holmes in America'. You're as well going with Gil Grissom in CSI which they tried more specifically to model on the character - insects instead of tobacco, similar issues with asexuality and they even gave him his Adler. Still doesn't make it an attempt at modern Holmes in America. Although that was almost the attempt with the link I posted above (modern America but old Holmes). 

quote:

(in reply to jobloffski)
Post #: 22
RE: Elementary - US TV Gets On The Sherlock Bandwagon - 22/1/2012 3:00:46 PM   
jobloffski

Before I ever saw or even heard of House a friend described it, and from the description I was moved to ask, "Is he called House because that's a bit like Holmes?'

My friend was agog, and muttered that it hadn't occurred to him, but now that it had been said, it was plain as day.

Elementary, and true, deductive reasoning adventure (ahem)

Before I ever saw or even heard of House a friend described it, and from the description I was moved to ask, "Is he called House because that's a bit like Holmes?'

My friend was agog, and muttered that it hadn't occurred to him, but now that it had been said, it was plain as day.

Perhaps rather than just being an update, the US show would be better off as a show with someone who has the nickname Sherlock Holmes because he aspires to be like him, has devoted his life to study of little details and what can be deduced from them and is so obsessed with being like Holmes he is only a whisker away from being a potential Moriarty. And perhaps any success he has can create criminal moriarties for him to face, making him the both the person needed to solve the crimes and by his very involvement the cause of the loonier ones,

Then, in a tricksy way, the process of relating events that take place to Sherlock Holmes stories can actually be part of the plot/format of the show, making it a kind of updating in reverse, because instead of just updating the crimes and making that the show, the thought process involved in the updating of the crimes becomes something the characters unpick in order to solve the real crimes based on the fictional ones.

Potentially head twisty fun, with more than a dash of 'intellectual chess' as the mood of the show.

< Message edited by jobloffski -- 22/1/2012 3:15:27 PM >

Yes, dreamers dream and doers do. But if dreamers DON'T dream, doers don't have anything TO do. Everything that is only here because people exist, only exists because someone thought of it., or in other words, dreamed it.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 23
RE: Elementary - US TV Gets On The Sherlock Bandwagon - 22/1/2012 3:13:16 PM   
musht

quote:

ORIGINAL: jobloffski

House is deliberately based on Holmes which sort of brings it full circle as Conan-Doyle based Holmes on a doctor he knew. Wilson-Watson, the links are obvious and I remember reading in the imdb trivia for House that one of his books is a complete collection of the Holmes stories

"SAVE ME, BARRY!!"

"What the hell are Regionals!?"

"color=#F1F1F1" Spoiler text "/color"

(in reply to jobloffski)
Post #: 24
RE: Elementary - US TV Gets On The Sherlock Bandwagon - 22/1/2012 3:16:42 PM   
jobloffski

Yeah, I know, I'm kinda being a smart arse, but the conversation did take place and my friend's description of it was the only information I had.

(in reply to musht)
Post #: 25
RE: Elementary - US TV Gets On The Sherlock Bandwagon - 22/1/2012 3:20:16 PM   
musht

quote:

ORIGINAL: jobloffski

Yeah, I know, I'm kinda being a smart arse, but the conversation did take place and my friend's description of it was the only information I had.

I believe you, on both counts

"SAVE ME, BARRY!!"

"What the hell are Regionals!?"

"color=#F1F1F1" Spoiler text "/color"

(in reply to jobloffski)
Post #: 26
RE: Elementary - US TV Gets On The Sherlock Bandwagon - 22/1/2012 5:50:32 PM   
jobloffski

It's not that difficult to believe I can be a smart arse.

Especially as I also kinda depicted the conversation in a Holmes/Watson way

< Message edited by jobloffski -- 22/1/2012 5:54:46 PM >

(in reply to musht)
Post #: 27
RE: Elementary - US TV Gets On The Sherlock Bandwagon - 28/2/2012 7:58:42 AM   
Scruffybobby

Oh dear...

http://www.denofgeek.com/television/1262588/lucy_liu_to_play_watson_in_cbss_sherlock_holmes_show_elementary.html

I want to taste you like yogurt.

(in reply to jobloffski)
Post #: 28
RE: Elementary - US TV Gets On The Sherlock Bandwagon - 28/2/2012 12:22:08 PM   
wombathog

Adding to the House is Holmes thing...
His house/flat number is 221B as well.

And all the complaints about 'Americanising Holmes' is a bit daft when Guy Ritchie's done a fine job of that: dumbing down the clever sleuth, putting in an explosion or punch-up every 5 minutes, oh and casting an actual American.

'Would you mind dear sir if I asked you a question, If music be the food of love are you the indigestion?'

(in reply to Scruffybobby)
Post #: 29
RE: Elementary - US TV Gets On The Sherlock Bandwagon - 28/2/2012 1:29:49 PM   
elab49

And it not actually being remotely at all Sherlock Holmes but just another buddy movie that mistakenly uses the names Holmes and Watson.

If it stop pretending it was it'd go up at least a couple of notches in my opinion of it.

Seriously though, it isn't even so much Americanising as it likes like pretty much a direct appropriation that'll be badly paraphrased by a terrible writer. I'd be embarrassed if I was CBS. It is CBS?

quote:

(in reply to wombathog)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> Elementary - US TV Gets On The Sherlock Bandwagon Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI