Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

George Lucas To Retire?

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> George Lucas To Retire? Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
George Lucas To Retire? - 18/1/2012 9:46:07 AM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
Fanboys - 18/1/2012 9:46:07 AM   
echofalls

Firstly I think it's a shame that constant moaning about Lucas' tinkering has made him think like this...I've always shied away from commenting about his changes because, at the end of the day, it's Star Wars. He gave it to us and, while I know the six films are not perfect, I'm glad I had Star Wars to grow up to.
Indiana Jones though; is there really anything left to do with that character? Just give me Raiders on BluRay!!
But if he does retire, thanks for all of it George Lucas.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
but the fanboys are right George - 18/1/2012 9:54:00 AM   
Dr Science

how dare his audience voice their negative views of the terrible decisions he's made?

Post #: 3
There's something that George isn't considering. - 18/1/2012 9:59:39 AM   
Mad Dog Tannen

Maybe the 'fanboys' are right! Anyway, he's been saying he wants to make small, experimental, esoteric films for decades now, and still nothing. Now that Star Wars has turned into Star Trek, what with all these movies and TV shows, I doubt he'll ever walk away.

Post #: 4
Fanboys have a point - 18/1/2012 10:00:55 AM   
GAmbrose

Fair enough Lucas, tinker with your own films as much as you like, but you didn't direct Empire or Return of the Jedi so don't really have a right to mess about with those movies.

Post #: 5
- 18/1/2012 10:01:36 AM   
jamesjewell1983

I don't think he looks very well in that pic.
What's goin on with his neck?

Post #: 6
Fanboys are right (sort of) - 18/1/2012 10:04:30 AM   
lazy_dave

As a huge Star Wars fan I have to say that George Lucas' 'tinkering' of the films has made me dilike him rather a lot. At the end of the day though, what he has done is tried (and sadly failed), to link up episodes one, two, and three with four, five, and six. If this had been filmed with all the same actors within a harry potter esque continuation, then it probably would have worked.

We all spent a good 25 years with the original films to get to know and love them, so changing a film after 25 years was a mistake, but I think an honest one.

Post #: 7
let it be true. - 18/1/2012 10:04:48 AM   
sephiroth7

"Great man". Ask my bollocks Empire. Director of ONE great movie. Count em: ONE!!! Ruiner of an amazing saga and huge damage done to another great trilogy. He can't fuck off quick enough as far as I'm concerned.

Post #: 8
wait a minute - 18/1/2012 10:12:51 AM   
7eke

does that mean they are finally going to slaughter the cash cow that is $tar war$? thank *%@# for that. This businessman has pissed all over a trilogy to squeeze as much money as possible out of the obsessive types and to mask the fact that he's obviously a hack. that is all

Post #: 9
A NEW HOPE - 18/1/2012 10:30:58 AM   
DeadCell79

A new hope for him if he plans to retire, as hell probably take another 25 years to do that aswell.

i to feel abit annoyed at the fact he keeps tinkering with the starwars movies when frankly he didnt need to. in any case i think he cant let go of the saga cos thats all his got in some cases. as theres nothing else you can really do with Indie. Speaking of Indie

WHEN ARE THEY GOING TO BRING US THE TRILOGY ON BLU-RAY

Post #: 10
PETULANT CHILD! - 18/1/2012 10:35:23 AM   
willy2fly

George Lucas's 'rant' that the STAR WARS saga are his movies and he is allowed to have them any way he wants them makes him sound like a petulant child. Lucas needs to remember that when u offer something creative up for public consumption, the audience also has rights to the content as well. After all, the movies wouldnt be the success they are without the massive audience it found. Its wrong to say STAR WARS is his coz it means alot to everybody. It belongs to all of us. So, when he constantly tampers with it, to the point where it starts to breed cynicism amongst its fanbase, then its time to stop. Less is more and if it aint broke dont fix it. Words that Lucas should be more mindful of.

Post #: 11
RE: A NEW HOPE - 18/1/2012 10:38:40 AM  1 votes
Kayotik

He complains that it's his movies to do with as he pleases and make into how he needs them to be?

If he was allowed to make the original Star Wars into the movie he wanted it, it would have been a massive flop and he'd never have a career.

He wanted C3PO to sound like a sleazy, used car salesman. He wanted Luke to have a robot head. He wanted Han Solo to be a weird frog alien.

Luckily there were producers and colleagues who could say "No George, that's fucking stupid."

Sadly as he became more wealthy, people were too scared to tell him otherwise. Those who did, he ignored. Watch the behind the scenes where they've just watched the first test screening of Phantom Menace, and the chief editor is telling Lucas how he can't just cut between four major action scenes constantly as it throws pacing out the window and confuses the audience. Watch how Lucas has a completely blank stare as nothing is going in.

The guy is a hack who wanted to make a Flash Gordon rip off, and thanks to everyone around him they crafted gold out of the few good ideas he had.

(in reply to DeadCell79)
Post #: 12
Fanboys can suck my balls.... - 18/1/2012 10:40:35 AM   
DarthMaxxx

You don't like it don't watch it!

All these armchair critics and Star Wars bashers can do one! Personally I enjoy the changes, it refreshes the trilogy every so often, and not that I really need one, it gives me another reason to watch it and get excited about it. Lucas isn't just about the story telling, he's always pushing boundaries in the field of FX and sound, and these additions to the trilogies that I enjoy just as much as the stories. The visual aspect of it is huge.

And as far as all these he's only doing it for the money comments go; I don't see Master Lucas any different from the likes of Mark Zuckerberg, Steve Jobs or Bill Gates. These people have/had made their fortunes and could walk away at any time, but the difference is they care. It's a piece of work that's close to them, it's a piece of work that they constantly look at because they have a connection to it.

Also all this chat about money and never at any stage does anyone chat about the fact that he has signed up to give away most of his fortune to charity; no mention from you assholes of the fact that he had to fund most of Red Tails himself because of Hollywood fat-cats he aren't willing to take a risk!

I'm as big a nerd as the next nerd, watch nerdy movies, collect nerdy things, but on this one every nerdy compatriot out there who dissed Lucas can suck my balls!

It's a sad day for cinema....

Post #: 13
RE: Fanboys can suck my balls.... - 18/1/2012 10:59:26 AM   
Kayotik

"You don't like it don't watch it!"

That's the problem, we did like it.

But it's nice you're easily impressed by pretty effects and mindless action.

(in reply to DarthMaxxx)
Post #: 14
Old Turkey Neck - 18/1/2012 11:04:07 AM   
femalebodyinspector

Not too dissapointed in this although I have some mixed feelings. The last Indiana Jones was awful because of his story. Although as we all know the most recent additions to the Star Wars series were complete gash. I have to admit though I still get a tingley feeling in my balls when I see them, probably more a of a visual/cinematic thing more than anything.But, I suppose thats the first thing what draws you to films as a kid and thats why they are held in such high regard in later years (well it did for me), it captured my imagination, but then he waits so long to release the next set, youve grown up, you have more of an understanding of what makes a great film, and they are shite, but at least they look good, he got one thing right at least!
Happy retirement though Georgey you certainly captured my imagination and at least you have given the cinema world one truly great thing which is more than can be said of most.

Post #: 15
RE: Fanboys can suck my balls.... - 18/1/2012 11:07:26 AM   
Dr Science

no one wants to fund Red Tails becuase it's an 'issues' movie with Cuba Gooding Jr in the lead role - Cuba Gooding Jr playing a military character - have you seen Men Of Honour and Pearl Harbour? How about Rat Race, Boat Trip, Norbit or Daddy Day Care? Cuba. Gooding. Jr. Show. Me. The. Talent.

And as to your defence of Lucas as a technical pioneer - I'm sure a lot of people would agree that the more he's focussed on digital technology, the worse his use of technology has got. The miniatures and sets in the original trilogy were a billion times more convincing and effective than anything in the prequels.

I've got a tombstone hand and a graveyard mind

(in reply to DarthMaxxx)
Post #: 16
Old Turkey Neck - 18/1/2012 11:13:34 AM   
femalebodyinspector

Not too dissapointed in this although I have some mixed feelings. The last Indiana Jones was awful because of his story. Although as we all know the most recent additions to the Star Wars series were complete gash. I have to admit though I still get a tingley feeling in my balls when I see them, probably more a of a visual/cinematic thing more than anything.But, I suppose thats the first thing what draws you to films as a kid and thats why they are held in such high regard in later years (well it did for me), it captured my imagination, but then he waits so long to release the next set, youve grown up, you have more of an understanding of what makes a great film, and they are shite, but at least they look good, he got one thing right at least!
Happy retirement though Georgey you certainly captured my imagination and at least you have given the cinema world one truly great thing which is more than can be said of most.

Post #: 17
RE: Fanboys can suck my balls.... - 18/1/2012 11:16:14 AM   
DarthMaxxx

quote:

easily impressed by pretty effects

Yeah that's right, easily impressed by state of the art effects....
They re-create Rome in a CGI laden Gladiator or create new worlds in LOTR and The Matrix, but the minute Lucas touches something, the man who happens to be at the forefront of cutting edge special effects, keyboard warriors love to flex their intellectual muscle and bash him cause he's accused of 'raping their childhoods'....

And as far as mindless action goes, these films are fairy tale stories made for kids. Practically every time Lucas does something there's a reference back to his childhood; if you can look upon these movies with a child's eyes and enjoy them for what they are I suggest you stick to watching Star Trek and the new Battlestar Galatica....

(in reply to Kayotik)
Post #: 18
RE: Fanboys can suck my balls.... - 18/1/2012 11:18:30 AM   
JIm R

quote:

ORIGINAL: DarthMaxxx

You don't like it don't watch it!

All these armchair critics and Star Wars bashers can do one! Personally I enjoy the changes, it refreshes the trilogy every so often, and not that I really need one, it gives me another reason to watch it and get excited about it. Lucas isn't just about the story telling, he's always pushing boundaries in the field of FX and sound, and these additions to the trilogies that I enjoy just as much as the stories. The visual aspect of it is huge.

And as far as all these he's only doing it for the money comments go; I don't see Master Lucas any different from the likes of Mark Zuckerberg, Steve Jobs or Bill Gates. These people have/had made their fortunes and could walk away at any time, but the difference is they care. It's a piece of work that's close to them, it's a piece of work that they constantly look at because they have a connection to it.

Also all this chat about money and never at any stage does anyone chat about the fact that he has signed up to give away most of his fortune to charity; no mention from you assholes of the fact that he had to fund most of Red Tails himself because of Hollywood fat-cats he aren't willing to take a risk!

I'm as big a nerd as the next nerd, watch nerdy movies, collect nerdy things, but on this one every nerdy compatriot out there who dissed Lucas can suck my balls!

It's a sad day for cinema....

You are right, he does care, about the $ and ripping generation upon generation of film fans off, he continue's to 'look at it' beacuse he can make more money from it. A pioneer ? No, just a hack who got lucky with friends who had capital and status to help him. He's a good producer I'll give you that but as a writer and director he's a complete hack. I more than welcome this news, just hope he adheres too it.

(in reply to DarthMaxxx)
Post #: 19
RE: Fanboys can suck my balls.... - 18/1/2012 11:25:04 AM   
Kayotik

quote:

ORIGINAL: DarthMaxxx

quote:

easily impressed by pretty effects

Yeah that's right, easily impressed by state of the art effects....
They re-create Rome in a CGI laden Gladiator or create new worlds in LOTR and The Matrix, but the minute Lucas touches something, the man who happens to be at the forefront of cutting edge special effects, keyboard warriors love to flex their intellectual muscle and bash him cause he's accused of 'raping their childhoods'....

And as far as mindless action goes, these films are fairy tale stories made for kids. Practically every time Lucas does something there's a reference back to his childhood; if you can look upon these movies with a child's eyes and enjoy them for what they are I suggest you stick to watching Star Trek and the new Battlestar Galatica....

The difference being Gladiator and LOTR didn't sacrifice quality of story, dialogue or direction in order to achieve 'impressive' CG creatures.

(in reply to DarthMaxxx)
Post #: 20
- 18/1/2012 11:48:47 AM   
THEREALDARTHVADER

George Lucas is one of the biggest creative minds of our century. People should let him create new and exciting things! I think that he will personally succeed even if everyone dislikes it.... This is a personal matter.

The Star Wars saga issue is just a matter of business in order to secure the copyrights for the next 200 years ahead.... Mickey Mouse did so many changes for the same reason a long the time and no one complained....BTW Mickey Mouse is boring and does know anymore how to tell a story....

Post #: 21
- 18/1/2012 11:49:00 AM   
THEREALDARTHVADER

George Lucas is one of the biggest creative minds of our century. People should let him create new and exciting things! I think that he will personally succeed even if everyone dislikes it.... This is a personal matter.

The Star Wars saga issue is just a matter of business in order to secure the copyrights for the next 200 years ahead.... Mickey Mouse did so many changes for the same reason a long the time and no one complained....BTW Mickey Mouse is boring and does know anymore how to tell a story....

Post #: 22
Star Wars - 18/1/2012 11:49:25 AM   
THEREALDARTHVADER

Post #: 23
erm... - 18/1/2012 11:54:25 AM   
bigmeuprudeboy1

how many decent films has the bloke actually made 2? 3?

Post #: 24
RE: Star Wars - 18/1/2012 11:56:23 AM   
Spaldron

Listen.....do you hear that?

That's the sound of a million fanboys crying over their jugs of blue milk.

And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts
And I looked and behold, a pale horse
And his name that sat on him was Death
And Hell followed with him.

(in reply to THEREALDARTHVADER)
Post #: 25
RE: Star Wars - 18/1/2012 11:59:22 AM   
Kayotik

But most Star Wars fanboys hate Lucas?

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 26
Art House Movies?! Cool! - 18/1/2012 12:03:43 PM   
Nicky C

Might we get another THX1138? That would be tekkers!

Post #: 27
RE: Fanboys can suck my balls.... - 18/1/2012 12:16:26 PM   
DarthMaxxx

Yeah because Gladiator was the most complex of story lines, the old wronged man seeks revenge has never been done before and LOTR was an adaptation of someone else's work....

At least Star Wars is original....

(in reply to Kayotik)
Post #: 28
RE: Fanboys can suck my balls.... - 18/1/2012 12:24:07 PM   
DarthMaxxx

I don't seem to remember George taking my cash directly from my pocket, maybe I'm the only one or missing something?
It was my choice to go out and buy whatever re-iterations he's has of the Star Wars trilogy, I personally don't mind spending a few quid every few years to see what genius he's churned out this time, I've never been led to buy them and if fools are going to buy them then complain about spending who's the more foolish, the fool or the fool who follows....

And as for being a hack, there's very few people out there who develop things from start to finish without help. The fact that he's embraced those around him to develop his ideas is admirable....

(in reply to JIm R)
Post #: 29
Time for pastures new - 18/1/2012 12:27:28 PM   
lsdbaby

Worst thing about Crystal Skull: George Lucas script
Worst thing about Star Wars prequels: George Lucas script and direction

George Lucas made Star Wars what it is today but the best entries in the series in the last twenty years have come from areas outside of his remit (comics, animated series, computer games). Gotta be honest, never really liked him as a filmmaker, he has a low-key aesthetic that really works best on his indie flicks. He should go back to that and hand the franchises to new blood.

And always remember, the two best Star Wars films weren't even directed by him!

Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> George Lucas To Retire? Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI