Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Chris Smith's UK Film Report Published

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> Chris Smith's UK Film Report Published Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Chris Smith's UK Film Report Published - 17/1/2012 9:20:12 AM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
- 17/1/2012 9:20:12 AM   
chris wootton

Christ, so we get a report from the Richard Curtis fan club basically saying lets make a lot of films.. what a ridiculous waste of time and resources

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
Support? - 17/1/2012 9:26:36 AM   
ofthesun

I am trying desperately to find the catch here. The government wanting to be POSITIVE about the British Film Industry? Although they do call for more investment from Sky and ITV. Which can only be a good thing, I suppose.
Although, I hope this means we are not continually saturated by period dramas and awful cock-er-ney gangster movies staring Danny "one good movie" Dyer.
Both channels (and BBC/Channel4) should have a look at their syndication policies too. For every "friends hopeful-wanabe" there is genius that goes un-noticed, or shunted to late night viewing (Community and Arrested development)

Post #: 3
Losing Out - 17/1/2012 11:03:06 AM   
spark1

it is true that too many UK producers, desperate to get funding, sign away potential profits that could come to them if the film becomes a hit.

Post #: 4
Exhibition must be addressed - 17/1/2012 11:29:21 AM   
spinalgaz

The government can go on about producing more of any kind of film but it makes no difference if people can't see them. They should insist that a certain percentage of screens at multiplexes must show British films so that more people are able to see them. The amount of "arty" films I would go and see if only they were played near me!

Post #: 5
Dear ITV ... - 17/1/2012 1:28:41 PM   
Nicky C

... Downton Abbey is not a film. You f*cking morons! Also, it is for old ladies. SKY and ITV don't need to fund British movies, they just need to put some ON once in a while. SKY box is becoming the 'Friends and QI' machine and ITV is a channel I simply haven't watched for years, because I f*cking hate talent shows (which are also not films, ITV) as much as I hate Ant & Dec. Why don't these channels COMMISSION new films from independent filmmakers and f*cking put them on, thereby getting new work out to viewers without the need for cinema distribution? Or, better still, buy the films that are being made and put them on telly! Why do we need theatre distribution at all? Most people's home setups are SUPERIOR to poor quality cinema! How many careers could be launched by that approach? Think of movies like Bronson, Exam, Alice Creed, Harry Brown? They could have been made FOR TV with the same production value and seen by millions! If it's good enough for Michael Mann (LA Takedown, the Jericho Mile) it's good enough for UK filmmakers. I think this argument is getting stupid. Funding bodies don't know sh*t, TV channels are making themselves redundant by feigning ignorance and failing to take responsibility, and new filmmakers are failing by moaning about not getting funding and I'm sorry to say, making crap because they haven't been trained and don't really know what they're doing (N.B. The movies above I mentioned are awesome and do not count in that last statement). Let's negate the government, go guerilla, and show them what INDEPENDENT filmmaking really is! The quality is all in the script anyway!

Post #: 6
The responsibilities of Distributors & Cinemas - 17/1/2012 2:28:23 PM   
albumental

I live in Guildford where the local Odeon's attitude to British Movies and independent film is absolutely atrocious. "Attack The Block" was released during the chain's "Celebrating British Film" season in the summer. What was chosen to represent the best of Brit film in Guildford? Harry Potter. Attack The Block wasn't even shown. What chance does British film have if even the most commercially viable of indigenously produced work can't get exposure outside of London?

Post #: 7
Sky - 17/1/2012 4:13:26 PM   
RhysH101

I have always wondered why Sky don't have their own film making arm, just to add to the prestige of the Sky Movies brand. ITV invest enough in bollocks on a saturday night and I doubt it would cost that much more to have a film unit the scale of Film4.

Post #: 8
RE: Support? - 17/1/2012 5:29:00 PM   
attakdog

quote:

ORIGINAL: ofthesun

I am trying desperately to find the catch here. The government wanting to be POSITIVE about the British Film Industry? Although they do call for more investment from Sky and ITV. Which can only be a good thing, I suppose.
Although, I hope this means we are not continually saturated by period dramas and awful cock-er-ney gangster movies staring Danny "one good movie" Dyer.
Both channels (and BBC/Channel4) should have a look at their syndication policies too. For every "friends hopeful-wanabe" there is genius that goes un-noticed, or shunted to late night viewing (Community and Arrested development)

He's been in a good movie???

(in reply to ofthesun)
Post #: 9
RE: Support? - 17/1/2012 7:33:41 PM   
Osric

quote:

ORIGINAL: attakdog

quote:

ORIGINAL: ofthesun

He's been in a good movie???

Severance FTW!

(in reply to attakdog)
Post #: 10
RE: Losing Out - 17/1/2012 7:47:22 PM   
Tech_Noir

quote:

ORIGINAL: spark1

it is true that too many UK producers, desperate to get funding, sign away potential profits that could come to them if the film becomes a hit.

Those profits have to pay for all the middle men and women who do nothing but claim money back on drinks, lunches, dinners, hotels, etc. in the name of "networking".

(in reply to spark1)
Post #: 11
- 17/1/2012 8:23:03 PM   
clarkkent

basically this can be boiled down to "politicians and out of touch morons desperately trying to appeal to as many as possible, while simultaneously confirming everything we've ever thought about them."

Hows about they do something useful, like introduce more tax breaks and other such incentives to get productions up and running, hell they could even set up some kind of group, an organization....no, no, i've got it. A COUNCIL. What the UK needs is a COUNCIL to help people interested in FILM get the funding and support they need. So, to sumarise. We, the UK, need a COUNCIL to help the production and distribution of FILM in this country. If only there was such a thing.

Post #: 12
- 17/1/2012 8:23:23 PM   
clarkkent

basically this can be boiled down to "politicians and out of touch morons desperately trying to appeal to as many as possible, while simultaneously confirming everything we've ever thought about them."

Hows about they do something useful, like introduce more tax breaks and other such incentives to get productions up and running, hell they could even set up some kind of group, an organization....no, no, i've got it. A COUNCIL. What the UK needs is a COUNCIL to help people interested in FILM get the funding and support they need. So, to sumarise. We, the UK, need a COUNCIL to help the production and distribution of FILM in this country. If only there was such a thing.

Post #: 13
facebook - 28/5/2012 9:51:46 PM   
ChrisSmithUK

<ahref="http://www.facebook.com>Facebook</a>

Post #: 14
facebook - 28/5/2012 9:51:58 PM   
ChrisSmithUK

<ahref="http://www.facebook.com>Facebook</a>

Post #: 15
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> Chris Smith's UK Film Report Published Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI