Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Haywire

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: Haywire Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Haywire - 24/5/2012 2:01:43 AM   
MonsterCat

Just saw this tonight and it's a very minor work from Soderbergh. It's a sufficiently entertaining film, but for a thriller it's not all that thrilling and the bad guys are pretty bland. Carano is okay for someone who isn't a traditionally trained actress and she is quite impressive when it comes to kicking ass.

I actually quite admire Soderbergh's intention to make a film based around a female character who doesn't adhere to the shallow male ideal of what an action heroine should be (ie: running around in a cat suit with her tits hanging out), but the film doesn't add up to much and it's quite cold and empty.

Not a bad film by any means, but Soderbergh has done better.

< Message edited by MonsterCat -- 24/5/2012 2:06:11 AM >

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to jezy)
Post #: 91
RE: Haywire - 25/5/2012 6:10:25 AM   
drews

Was slightly disappointed by this. Was really expecting something in the vain of a Bourne film (not quite that good obviously, what is?) but it just felt a little flat. On the plus side Fassbender and McGregor are two actors I like and Channing Tatum has been putting in good performances recently. The main plus is I'm now aware of Gina Carano. Using the popular Angelina Jolie comparisons, Jolie is obviously the better actress ( don't see Carano doing a Changling or Girl, Interrupted any time soon) buy Carano is definitely more believable as an action star, being a real MMA fighter. However, they are both smoking' hot which really, can only be a good thing.
This was actually the second Soderbergh film this month I have been slightly disappointed with this month. The Limey being the other.

When an opportunity in a fight presents itself, "I" don't hit, "it" hits all by itself. - BRUCE LEE

Beer: The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems. - HOMER SIMPSON

#8 member of The Wire fan club. PM Dantes Inferno to join.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 92
RE: Haywire - 25/5/2012 10:21:18 AM   
TwistedAnimator

Thanks for the review guys. Was in two minds about this one, but something was dissuading me from going to see it.

(in reply to drews)
Post #: 93
Bland - 26/5/2012 8:05:44 AM   
mclane1

Very disappointing, it rolls along at a fair enough pace but there is no atmosphere at all, the soundtrack really doesn't work (I'm guessing the score was meant to cool it up but just doesn't fit) overall bland and so very similar in plot to countless other, better, films.

Post #: 94
RE: Bland - 24/9/2012 10:27:54 AM   
MuckyMuckMan

Just watched this last night (thankfully on lovefilm rather than buying it). It's one of the worst films I've seen in a very long time. The acting was horrendous, Carano is absolutely terrible with her monotone acting. She has no charisma whatsoever and I just couldn't side with her at all. The only decent acting came from Michael Douglas and Fassbender and they were used sparingly to say the least.
The score is also horrible and just didn't fit with the films tone at all. Then there is the story which is very clunky and for me didn't flow and didn't really explain why she is the scapegoat in the whole shenanigans until the end when Soderburgh thought 'oh its rather confusing so I better tie it all up with the bad guys discussing their plot'. It also (for reasons unknown to me) leaves it open for a sequel which I assume is because they are trying to create another 'Bourne' franchise.
All in all a terrible film with so much potential with the final word in the film summing it up perfectly......'Shit'.

< Message edited by MuckyMuckMan -- 24/9/2012 11:12:34 AM >

My Film Collection:
http://www.invelos.com/dvdcollection.aspx/MuckyMuckMan
Last 5 films seen
The Impossible 3.5/5
Stoker 4/5
Thor: Dark World 3.5/5
The Wolfman (1941) 4/5
All is Lost 5/5

(in reply to mclane1)
Post #: 95
RE: Bland - 7/10/2012 7:38:43 PM   
sanchia

I am not certain how they did this but, although there is quite a lot of action, the film is just terminally dull. the action does not play out well. I have no empathy for any of the characters, which is never a good thing as it is just a bunch of people doing stuff I do not care about. Overall an incredibly bland film with a score which does not fit the film and my recommendation is avoid it unless you want to sleep.

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to MuckyMuckMan)
Post #: 96
RE: Bland - 22/10/2012 1:31:45 PM   
goldleader

Just watched this last night and i really enjoyed it.

Loved how it was a slow burn, it made a great change from most action films at the moment. I hate shaky cam action films. I want to see what is going on, i want to see the stunts and action in all there glory. This film does that.

I would not say its a true action film and i think thats why a lot of people are dissappointed by it. It's a spy story with a few fight scences here and there. But what fight scences they are, very hard and real.

The female lead was spot on, and really enjoyed Micheal Douglas poting up now and again.

Great stuff if you are looking for something a little different to the usual crap.

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 97
RE: Bland - 23/11/2012 8:47:48 PM   
UTB

I can only describe this film as like having a wank without finishing the job.

(in reply to goldleader)
Post #: 98
RE: Bland - 23/11/2012 9:10:42 PM   
musht

I didn't think this was as bad as some of the above comments. Definitely a very average film at best but I did enjoy it. The fight between Carano (who does a decent job for her first film) and Fassbender is one of the best set pieces I've seen recently. Also I really enjoyed seeing Dublin up on the big screen, very surreal experience.

"SAVE ME, BARRY!!"

"What the hell are Regionals!?"

"color=#F1F1F1" Spoiler text "/color"

(in reply to UTB)
Post #: 99
Haywire - 20/2/2013 3:47:18 AM   
norgizfox

As far as plot and action go, this is your standard espionage. But Soderbergh knows how to stage the action in stylish fashion, and the cast is defiently better than average for Haywire.

Post #: 100
Haywire and a new breed of female hero - 23/2/2013 5:26:39 PM   
My Dream Tank

Just watched Haywire and I thought Gina Carano was amazing. Whether its writers, directors or movie moguls, most of Hollywood doesn’t seem to believe that women are capable of physically overpowering and defeating men, that they are naturally weaker because of their femaleness. But there is a series of characters, actresses and films/tv shows that are offering females who have no problem taking down their male opponents. Read more and comment at:

< Message edited by elab49 -- 28/8/2013 8:49:28 AM >

Post #: 101
RE: Haywire and a new breed of female hero - 27/8/2013 2:55:42 AM   
AnamorphicWidescreen

Just saw Haywire on DVD, and was blown away. Great acting, amazing action scenes, and truly incredible soundtrack. Being a big Soderbergh fan for years, this film definitely didn't dissapoint.

The music seemed like it was almost retro, i.e. what you would hear in a '60's/'70's espionage/thriller/action film, though this was obviously set in the modern day.

< Message edited by AnamorphicWidescreen -- 27/8/2013 2:57:37 PM >

(in reply to My Dream Tank)
Post #: 102
RE: Haywire - 31/12/2013 12:13:16 PM   
chang

It may seem like this is merely an exercise in style and to be honest, it is. Soderbergh's clearly fascinated by the physicality of Carano as a fighter and Haywire's sole reason for existence is to highlight those skills.
quote:

Haywire

Post #: 103
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: Haywire Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI