Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Haywire

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: Haywire Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Haywire - 23/1/2012 1:23:19 PM   
clownfoot

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze

Another example of Empire giving a shite film a great review because of director snobbery.They obviously respect Stephen Soderbergh so much that htye couldnt bear to give it a less than stellar review.

Really? Even though they rated The Good German and Ocean's 12 2/5 and The Informant 3/5? But hey don't let research and cold hard facts get in the way of you spouting your specious crap.

Empire also only gave The Limey three stars, although that's a five star wonder. The Attack of the Clones loving motherhumpers...

Also, have none of you heard of Cynthia Rothrock?

Evil Mod 2 - Hail he who has fallen from the sky to deliver us from the terror of the Deadites!

http://www.thepixelempire.net/index.html
http://clownfootsinversemidas.blogspot.com/

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 61
RE: Haywire - 23/1/2012 1:30:05 PM   
superdan

quote:

ORIGINAL: clownfoot

I saw a couple of films of hers when I was young and bang into martial arts, but I can't remember which ones. I do remember thinking they were shit though

(in reply to clownfoot)
Post #: 62
RE: Fantastic - 23/1/2012 2:04:18 PM   
ChudMonkey

quote:

ORIGINAL: adambatman82

I'm baffled by the negativity in this thread; I thought it was fantastic. A clever plot mixed with beautifully shot action sequences made for a solid all-round experience. Complaints about the complicated plot say more about the viewer than the filmmaker, especially given that the whole thing was explained for a second time in one of the films closing sequences. It was really nice to see a post-Bourne action flick that wasn't all fast-cuts and shaky-cam too.

I'm with you @adambatman82 either those that hated it saw a completely different film or they have no appreciation for the art of cinema at all. It's not supposed to be Bourne (or Taken, for that matter) - what it is, is a wonderfully crafted, cool-as-fuck indie-thriller with a hell of a cast (all of whom are exceptional, particularly Fassbender and Douglas), a great soundtrack (yes its weirdly used compared to Hollywood blockbusters, but that's the point) and a leading lady who actually looks like she can handle herself in every situation she's put in. I loved the amplified sounds of everyday life that heightens the realism, the way the violence just bursts out in unexpected situations and the constant wrong footing of who's actually the bad guy behind it all. The plot was neither too complicated (as @adambatman82 says - it gets spelled out for you twice - dullards) or too simple - it just fits the style and mood of the film.

a sturdy 4 out of 5 (my second favourite film I've seen this year - not as good as Shame, which is a masterpiece but much better than The Iron Lady)

Top 10 of 2013 so far:
1. Mud
2. Philomena
3. Before Midnight
4. The Way Way Back
5. Spring Breakers
6. In The House
7. Django Unchained
8. Only God Forgives
9. Tattoo Nation
10. Iron Man 3

(in reply to adambatman82)
Post #: 63
4 Stars??? - 23/1/2012 3:25:26 PM   
joeyl77

Come on Empire!! I'm sure we'll see this listed in your 'we got it wrong' write up soon. One of those films where you wish someone would walk into the cinema and shoot you in the face with a nail gun,...... repeatedly.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 64
Did I watch a different film? - 24/1/2012 4:01:17 PM   
Bearsurf

Don't get me wrong it's not a bad film I was just expecting something like an action packed female Bourne film (based on what I'd seen in the trailer). Not sure how you got to the four star rating (was it for Gina Carano's ass kicking ability?)I'd have gone with three as it's one of those films you'd watch if nothing else takes your fancy or you’ve seen everything else.

Post #: 65
4 stars... really?? - 24/1/2012 7:13:00 PM   
elmosmoe

Jeez, sorry Empire but 4 stars is way off the mark. It was the most terrible film I've seen in ages. Horrific acting from Gina Carano, stunted dialogue, inappropriate soundtrack and remarkable dull action sequences. Very disappointing from Mr Soderbergh.

Post #: 66
RE: Haywire - 24/1/2012 9:29:57 PM   
JAYDAK1SS

I will use the following words to describe how I felt after seeing this film; empty; hollow; deflated; you get the picture. Pointless drivel, mundane action scenes and forgettable characters.

Black Jesus!!!:

I rode into town on an ass

Yo mommas ass

Black Jesus!!!!!

Post #: 67
I want to go with 2 and a half..but it'l have to be 2 - 25/1/2012 3:35:37 AM   
markasmarv

I agree with the majority here, opinions differ of course, but it just isn't a 4 star movie by any objective critical standards. It wasn't bad..first half hour was pretty good actually, but then it just caved in. A completely dumb as rocks movie with delusions that it was clever with ropey dialog and phoned in performances. 4 stars my muscular buttocks

Post #: 68
Haywire - 25/1/2012 8:35:28 AM   
MartinBlank76

quote:

ORIGINAL: Qwerty Norris

There are definitely things to like in this, but overall I'd say that Soderbergh's realist take on the action thriller delivers mixed results - even if it's nice to see a film of this genre not resign itself to seizure-enduing cuts every second.

When it works, it tends to be when he resorts to the stripped down nature of no music & hand to hand combat situations (specifically one particular encounter in a hotel room), whilst the script itself is refreshingly free of obvious contrivance. When it doesn't however, it's usually because the aesthetic results in a lack of required suspense in certain scenes (the arrival of supposed FBI agents in a forest for example), a flashy montage to condense a specific scenario (Barcelona) & a hugely inappropriate score (David Holmes' efforts work for the likes of Oceans 11 but it completely confuses the tone in this).

Gina Carano certainly has the physical presence but not so much of a dramatic one - leading to a number of the more quieter scenes feeling pretty flat. That said; there is potential in her to be a female no-nonsense action hero & that's certainly a good thing.

A solid if ultimately flawed cinematic experiment.

3/5

This review pretty much hits the nail on the head for me.

SPOILERS

One thing that didnt work at all was the whole recounting what had happened before to the kid from the diner.
One of my favourite moments was the Garda swat team, first time I have seen one of those in the movies ever! It was just nice to see an action film set somewhere were I have actually lived before.

SPOILERS END

I thought Carano was competent with what she had to do in the film acting wise, I have seen a lot worse from people who actually are actors, but the film could have been a lot better if they had cast a real actor and expanded the role. Would the fight scenes have suffered? Well, they would probably have had to drop the more wrestling type moves but surely would have been able to keep everything else.

< Message edited by MartinBlank76 -- 25/1/2012 8:42:32 AM >

I'm just a fella. I think beer should be cold and boots should be dusty. I think 911 was bad. And freedom? Well, I think thats just a little bit better.

(in reply to Qwerty Norris)
Post #: 69
RE: I want to go with 2 and a half..but it'l have to be 2 - 25/1/2012 11:06:49 AM   
adambatman82

quote:

ORIGINAL: markasmarvt

it just isn't a 4 star movie by any objective critical standards.

Interesting idea, I'd like to see it expanded upon.

(in reply to markasmarv)
Post #: 70
RE: I want to go with 2 and a half..but it'l have to be 2 - 25/1/2012 4:43:57 PM   
Deviation

quote:

SOMEBODY GET PIGEON ARMY QUICK

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

Post #: 71
Awful - 25/1/2012 7:14:35 PM   
bnicholson50

This is an awful movie. Self indulgent tripe. The story, plot, dialogue, etc are all hackneyed and cliched. How could Soderbergh ever think he could pull off a riveting car chase without a single edit? The fights were boring, the chases were boring, the characters were boring... it's a boring movie.

Post #: 72
RE: I want to go with 2 and a half..but it'l have to be 2 - 25/1/2012 8:25:04 PM   
Pigeon Army

quote:

ORIGINAL: adambatman82

quote:

ORIGINAL: markasmarvt

it just isn't a 4 star movie by any objective critical standards.

NO

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rinc
She's supposed to be 13! I'd want her to be very attractive though

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat
quote:

ORIGINAL: Pigeon Army
Stop being mean to Deviation

No.

Post #: 73
RE: Haywire - 26/1/2012 9:28:29 AM   
GCH

Definitely more like Hay then Wire. We went to see this because of the four star rating. What a disappointment- no more then two stars when you're in a generous mood. The phone bills must have been huge since Gina Carano was the only one not phoning in a performance. and that haircut is inexcusable!

If you can dodge traffic, you can dodge a ball

Post #: 74
RE: Haywire - 26/1/2012 11:09:26 AM   
UTB

quote:

ORIGINAL: GCH

Definitely more like Hay than Wire.

Now THIS I like. One line reviews splitting the movie titles up and using them.

Definitely more Cowboys than Aliens.
Definitely more Mission than Impossible.
Definitely more Lady than Iron.
Definitely more Method than Dangerous.

And so on.

(in reply to GCH)
Post #: 75
RE: Haywire - 26/1/2012 5:44:49 PM   
Dr Lenera

I never really know what I'm going to get with a Steven Soderburgh film, but this one is a bit of a failure.  His supposed 'take' on the action movie is burdened by a muddled script that pretends its simple story is actually complicated, a total lack of tension, a dreadful performance by its lead star, cardboard characters and self-consciously stylised direction that is at odds with the trashy material.  At least the meagre fight scenes are good, and shot so you can see what's going on.  Otherwise, if you want to see an arty action film, see Hanna.
3.5/10

check out more of my reviews on http://horrorcultfilms.co.uk/

(in reply to UTB)
Post #: 76
RE: Beyond bad even when bad is good - 26/1/2012 7:55:36 PM   
griff03

Yeah right that's why the changed it to 3 stars on dvd then is it? You clearly have no idea what your talking about.

(in reply to DARKO_DONNIE_DONUT)
Post #: 77
OMG - 26/1/2012 11:24:16 PM   
smakris04

Now that I saw it I can't believe how a real honest person who has not been bribed or is not related to the cast or the director or is not a huge fan of the director or the cast (and I am both a huge fan of most of the cast and admire the director for most of his movies) can grade this more than 4/10 meaning 2/5 empire. Shame shame shame

Post #: 78
RE: OMG - 27/1/2012 12:15:50 AM   
adambatman82

quote:

ORIGINAL: smakris04

Now that I saw it I can't believe how a real honest person who has not been bribed or is not related to the cast or the director or is not a huge fan of the director or the cast (and I am both a huge fan of most of the cast and admire the director for most of his movies) can grade this more than 4/10 meaning 2/5 empire. Shame shame shame

Sorry, this is the review thread for Haywire not Shame. Disagree with you on Shame tho, I thought it was really good. I was disappointed that it resorted to the old "gay=lowest ebb" thing, but aside from that I thought that Shame (shame shame) was really good.

< Message edited by adambatman82 -- 27/1/2012 12:16:19 AM >

(in reply to smakris04)
Post #: 79
RE: OMG - 29/1/2012 6:57:02 PM   
Gazdance

Haha! It really is funny as fuck watching all of you daft pricks getting so wound up over a star rating.

Haywire is nothing special but it is a decent watch if you're in an undemanding mood. Good, well staged fight sequences and lightness of touch that make the films already short run time breeze by.

Go ahead and continue to be annoyed. Doesn't matter a fuck.

Post #: 80
Weak movie - 29/1/2012 10:12:13 PM   
blade32

This movie was a real let down. I'm amazed it drew in people like Michael Douglas. It was a run of the mill revenge plot, nothing original. The action was directed well, but the movie was slow, dull and boring. My girlfriend asked if we could leave half way through. We didn't, but probably should have. W.e.a.k.

Post #: 81
4 Stars!?!?! Really????? - 30/1/2012 9:40:29 AM   
femalebodyinspector

Not the sort of film I would generally go and see at the cinema, but I fancied a bit of an action film this weekend for fun & relaxtion. I had read the review from this glorious mag, sounded like a good option and recommended it to my lady and off we pop.
Can safely say I got no fun but I got plenty of relaxtion, so relaxed I nearly fell asleep. Plot was slow and as revenge stories go totally uneventful, the main actress was really wooden and. The sound and camera work didnt make it any more exciting either, the car chase sequence where she seems to be reversing for an eternity was unbelieavbly dull. I thought they were gonna cut to her checking the mirrors and indicating at one point to try and make it more intersting.
Sorry to be so negative, but I cant understand why this film got 4 stars and why there were so many big names attached to it, they should of ran mile after reading the script.
Needless to say the film was so crap, my girlfriend has said that shes choosing the next film....I cant argue with that, chick flicks here we come.

Post #: 82
Dreadful - 12/2/2012 5:34:36 PM   
fredrico2k

I went to watch this to use up what was left on a Christmas giftcard - what a waste. I thought the premise for the film sounded good and it might be a smart action film; how wrong I was. Completely miscast, sluggish action, terrible editing, a woeful score and a truly terrible performance from the lead 'actress'. I know she is an MMA fighter, but putting her at the centre of the film was a crazy decision - wooden doesn't even come close to describing her acting. The only reason I didn't leave early was because I was meeting people nearby when it finished. This is the most boring film I have seen in a long, long time. Avoid at all costs.

Post #: 83
Haywire Review - 11/3/2012 2:24:24 PM   
DaleLawson

Haywire has expert editing, fantastic cinematography, amazing actors, and awe-inspiring fight scenes. Unfortunately without a strong narrative the film can become difficult to watch in places, even if other aspects of the film are of a high standard.

Post #: 84
- 17/4/2012 11:28:05 PM   
TheGodfather

Seen in cinema tonight:

Haywire
Steven Soderbergh goes action. The idea of a female James Bond character is good and Gina Carano fits the lead role perfectly. The James Bond type of atmosphere is (next to the story of course) especially created by the score, wich I really liked. The abscence of that music in the fightscenes is what almost kills the film: at these moments the pace goes down and you almost look forward to the end of those fights.
The story itself is pretty standard in the spy genre and the acting of, among others, Ewan McGregor and (my personal favorite) Michael Fassbender is ok.
A very nice and fun flick, nothing more and nothing less. And it looks like Steven Soderbergh feels exactly the same way...

6,8/10

Post #: 85
RE: - 22/4/2012 12:21:02 PM   
Proudfoot

I presumed this one was a flop for a reason.

But then last night I decided to give it a shot anyway and after what felt like 15 minutes and the credits started rolling, I was smiling so much it kind of hurt a little.

Some of the most fun I've had in a long, long time. Super funky editing and music, fantastic cinematography, a super cool badass lead and great action scenes.

I don't watch everything Soderbergh does, but this one is up there with Out of Sight as one of his most pure fun films.

"We must never forget that we are human, and as humans we dream, and when we dream we dream of money."

(in reply to TheGodfather)
Post #: 86
RE: Haywire - 23/4/2012 3:47:54 PM   
Discodez

quote:

ORIGINAL: superdan

quote:

ORIGINAL: clownfoot

I saw a couple of films of hers when I was young and bang into martial arts, but I can't remember which ones. I do remember thinking they were shit though

To be fair, China O'brien is definitley in the so bad it's brilliant category.

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 87
RE: Haywire - 10/5/2012 6:29:16 PM   
Phubbs

Haywire

Dear Mr Soderbergh, if you want to make a thrilling spy film then at least cast someone who can act in the lead! don't cast a so called mixed martial artist (this term is being banded around way too much these days), use them for stunt work. Yes Carano is fit firm and able to kick ass but her acting is wooden and stale which lets the whole thing down badly.

This espionage thriller is slick and lean with no Hollywood nonsense, this ain't no Bay machine, this is more intone with 'Ronin' but even more watered down to a cut throat hands on take down. The action is sparse but fast with no special effects to get in the way, no explosions, no music and no cgi what so ever, this baby has been stripped for maximum performance just like the Evo that gets driven.

That's not to say its without faults, the film starts slow after an initial bit of fisticuffs, Carano glares her way through the story as you start to feel...zzzzzzz!. Things do perk up quickly as the plot thickens...well somewhat, the plot is actually highly basic but the fights are nicely done, realistic without silly 'whallop!' sound effects (well almost). It amused me how Carano is able to take down heavy armoured police with leg kicks to body armour, she may be a good Muay Thai fighter but I doubt she would be able to do what she does but hey! I'm getting too picky aren't I.

Overall casting was big but unrequired, I think the inclusion of Carano lowers the tone really, she comes across way too much like an action figure, almost like a 'Black Widow' type character. The inclusion of Fassbender in a pretty cliched role didn't help either, almost an audition for the next Bond. Wasn't impressed with Ewan McGregor and his dodgy US accent, he really didn't seem to fit the bill for me whilst Banderas just seemed to be there to add more big names to the list as he does nothing, absolutely zero.

I think this film tries a bit too hard to be something more serious, maybe more of a 'Bourne' vehicle perhaps, but under the bonnet its just a simple double cross thriller with some excellent direction, fights and editing...soooo yes it is good then, it just thinks a bit too highly of itself.

Still not so sure why its called 'Haywire' though, makes you think its some kind of guns n explosion filled hyper action beast...but it isn't. I must add I hated the rather lame way Carano easily gets her man at the end on the beach, the rock bit, how on earth did he manage that!? lol!
It is pretty good by the way, just incase your not sure what I think at the end here, just not THAT good.

< Message edited by Phubbs -- 10/5/2012 6:33:51 PM >

Post #: 88
- 22/5/2012 2:01:35 PM   
jezy

One of the worst films I have seen.

Post #: 89
- 22/5/2012 2:01:36 PM   
jezy

One of the worst films I have seen.

Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: Haywire Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI