Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Haywire

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Haywire Page: [1] 2 3 4   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Haywire - 16/1/2012 12:00:19 PM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
Whet my appetite - 16/1/2012 12:00:19 PM   
Noelg25

Thank you Empire. I was already going to see this and this review has made me even more excited for it :) And hell, Gina can wrap those thighs around my neck any day of the week :D

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
Tough Chick - 16/1/2012 12:47:01 PM   
BenTramer

Gina Carano isn't the new Angelina Jolie, she's the REAL Angelina Jolie - the Angelina who beat up guys twice her size with her arms as thin as sticks in Salt (bullshit). Gina is the real thing and could actually do that.

Post #: 3
RE: Tough Chick - 16/1/2012 3:07:12 PM   
jace007

Hahaha, I could not agree more. I was dragged along to see Salt and glad I didn't pay for it either. The biggest steaming pile of shit since The Tourist. Angelina is a skinny monkey, who looks tired and not a great actress anyway. Good riddance to her and her Devil offspring.

(in reply to BenTramer)
Post #: 4
- 16/1/2012 3:26:41 PM   
BabsyBuck

I'm giving it 4/5 for just the trailer, as I haven't seen the film yet.
But Gina Carano is truly awesome. The cast is just, a collective range of fantastic actors from different countries, and decades. AH I'M SO EXCITED

Post #: 5
Is she an actress? - 17/1/2012 8:40:30 PM   
smakris04

I haven't seen the movie yet and most likely I will watch it on dvd and not theatre. I don't believe any of the people bellow me have seen it either however they all seem to have smt against Angelina Jolie. From the trailer and only I can tell Carano is not an actress. She can kick ass and would probably kick Jolie's ass too because she is a mixed martial arts fighter. Somehow because it is a movie made by Soderbergh and not by Bay people don't have anything to say about her Gladiator past. The only way to promote this movie is of course to compare it to Salt and Angelina Jolie. Well Salt for me was weak. the unrated-extended cut is much better, but that has nothing to do with this movie. So shut up about Angelina already.

Post #: 6
Don't believe the hype - 18/1/2012 12:33:21 PM   
Y0gi

I saw this last night and it is terrible. Dull, confused, monotonous and the blame doesn't lie with Gina Carano.
She is ok in the main role, but the A-List acting cast is wasted and not once does Soderbergh create any tension, excitement or drama in this so called 'action' movie.
If you do watch it look out for Empire's Simon Crook's name in the credits, I can't explain his review any other way!!

Post #: 7
This is a terrible film - 18/1/2012 1:16:38 PM   
Beate

I am sorry but your reviewer has got to be kidding. I saw a free preview of this yesterday and it was the most rubbish film I have seen in a long time. What's more, the forum I write on was full of reviews afterwards and they were all unanimous on how much of an epic fail this film is. We usually disagree a lot, but not on this film. Quite a few of us are film bloggers and see plenty of films a year so we do have comparison. And another thing, why on earth would anyone rate a film he hasn't seen on the basis of a trailer? Trailers don't convey the full horror of this movie, trust me.

< Message edited by Rebenectomy -- 22/1/2012 7:43:47 PM >

Post #: 8
Over Rated - 18/1/2012 1:33:38 PM   
Little Big One

Saw this film last night and am a Soderberg fan but this had the feel of something that was trying too hard to be complex and intelligent but it failed miserably. The fights are great but the sound effects throughout are poor, something you notice most in the action sequences - was this meant to be Dogma style? If yes that might go some way to explaining the sound, lighting and camera work. The storyline was nothing you haven't seen a hundred times before and I agree with Y0gi that this was tedious and not helped by a cardboard cut-out actress in the starring role. The most exciting thing about the film was waiting for the A List stars to appear which was made more interesting by the fact that there were no opening titles whatsoever.

< Message edited by Little Big One -- 18/1/2012 1:35:49 PM >

Post #: 9
Over Rated - 18/1/2012 1:33:43 PM   
Little Big One

Saw this film last night and am a Soderberg fan but this had the feel of something that was trying too hard to be complex and intelligent but it failed miserably. The fights are great but the sound effects throughout are poor, something you notice most in the action sequences - was this meant to be Dogma style? If yes that might go some way to explaining the sound, lighting and camera work. The storyline was nothing you haven't seen a hundred times before and I agree with the first reviewer that this was tedious and not helped by a cardboard cut-out actress in the starring role. The most exciting thing about the film was waiting for the A List stars to appear which was made more interesting by the fact that there were no opening titles whatsoever.

Post #: 10
At last - 18/1/2012 5:08:53 PM   
Sanya

I waited for it since the last watch of long kiss goodnight

Post #: 11
I Think I'm In Love With Her! - 18/1/2012 5:39:25 PM   
Bighousewill

Excellent film very cool and slick and nice fight scenes and Gina Carano OMG she is beautiful.

Post #: 12
This is a truly awful film !!! - 18/1/2012 8:46:32 PM   
rougier

What oh what are Empire thinking about, 4 stars!! FFS you're having a giraffe. This film is terrible, with the worst and most innapropriate music score I can remember. Can't believe Sodennburg directed this huge steaming pile of dung. See it at your peril, you have been warned!

Post #: 13
What was Empire thinking? - 18/1/2012 9:38:12 PM   
bretty

Never a four star film three at best. I actually liked Gina Carano as a female Bourne, but the direction, plotting and pace was way below par. Maybe Empire watched a rerun of The Long Kiss Goodnight by mistake?

Post #: 14
Beyond bad even when bad is good - 19/1/2012 1:06:23 AM   
griff03

Quite simply this film shouldn't even be rated its that bad. Well done Soderbergh you made an cast full of A lister look totally wooden. I suggest you watch Taken before attempting to direct an actioner again. Which needs me onto the review very nicely..Taken along with Drive are two of the worst reviewed movie in the whole time I've been reading Empire (which is nearly since its debut). Taken was given 1star followed by a correction when it later appeared on dvd. It miraculously became two and how drive isnt a five star film is an insult to all concerned it's last years masterpiece.

The score is the most inappropriate and worst score I have ever come across. david holmes you used to be a DJ of infinite cool. My friend turned round to me and said it sounded like an episode of Hustle but worse. He couldn't have put it better. It feels like a b movie as its so bad and whats the point in aiming to make a rubbish movie, that he certainly achieved.

Summary

The leading contender for the Raspberries. The acting is like an episode of Elderado, the lighting and cinematography a mess, the action terrible and over all just a really bad movie. I think Empire should do a review redux or pay everyone back the entrance fee.

Post #: 15
RE: Beyond bad even when bad is good - 19/1/2012 9:25:38 AM   
Timon

I would actually have to concur with the angry mob above. I was expecting something special, especially with the talent involved, but it dragged despite its short length, the cast were wasted and even worse, it was dull.

Carano has the moves, but she doesn't have the charisma and unfortunately everything suffered as a result.

Great opening scene, but then it was downhill from there.

I would not recommend it.

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Twitter: @timonsingh

(in reply to griff03)
Post #: 16
RE: Beyond bad even when bad is good - 19/1/2012 10:28:56 AM   
piginapoke

Mild Spoilers - for what it's worth

Have to agree with all negative reivews, but at least gina is hot

4 stars - no way, 2 at best.

i thought I was missing something given the 4 stars when it just dragged on and on with little to get excited about. i thought she was going to walk the length of dublin in real time in a so called tense chase scene. tedious.

A lot of times it teases you that it's going to get into 2nd gear and never does. The snow scene car 'chase' for example gets going and comes to a halt with a whimper (or a deer at least).

Bourne it is not, boring it was.

Last line of the film summed it all up

i want my money back Empire

Films seen this year

Wreck it Ralph - 3/5
Evil Dead 3/5

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 17
Gutted! - 19/1/2012 10:33:01 AM   
guysalisbury

I've booked tickets to see this on Friday night! What have I let myself in for!? I thought this couldn't fail! Even worse than that, I advised a friend at work to go and see it last night! He hated it and I have told him it must be because he has a shit taste in films! DOH! Thanks Empire, for fucking me in the ass with no bloody reach around! All I can hope for is that all you guys are wrong.................... not likely! :-)

Post #: 18
Quite dull - 19/1/2012 12:44:21 PM   
mickyc

Was looking forward to seeing this last night, and have to say i found the story just dragged along, there were a few decent action set pieces, nothing amazing mind you and some god awful music. Over all it tried to be too clever and just failed.
Poor.

Post #: 19
RE: Quite dull - 19/1/2012 12:58:13 PM   
mackey

Some decent fight scenes but nothing extraordinary. To be honest it dragged quite a bit and despite a large, talented cast it really failed to be engaging at all. Disappointing unfortunately.

I know that look; it's the same look my father gave me when I told him I wanted to be a ventriloquist.

(in reply to mickyc)
Post #: 20
RE: Beyond bad even when bad is good - 19/1/2012 1:41:28 PM   
DARKO_DONNIE_DONUT

quote:

ORIGINAL: griff03

Quite simply this film shouldn't even be rated its that bad. Well done Soderbergh you made an cast full of A lister look totally wooden. I suggest you watch Taken before attempting to direct an actioner again. Which needs me onto the review very nicely..Taken along with Drive are two of the worst reviewed movie in the whole time I've been reading Empire (which is nearly since its debut). Taken was given 1star followed by a correction when it later appeared on dvd. It miraculously became two and how drive isnt a five star film is an insult to all concerned it's last years masterpiece.

The score is the most inappropriate and worst score I have ever come across. david holmes you used to be a DJ of infinite cool. My friend turned round to me and said it sounded like an episode of Hustle but worse. He couldn't have put it better. It feels like a b movie as its so bad and whats the point in aiming to make a rubbish movie, that he certainly achieved.

Summary

The leading contender for the Raspberries. The acting is like an episode of Elderado, the lighting and cinematography a mess, the action terrible and over all just a really bad movie. I think Empire should do a review redux or pay everyone back the entrance fee.

Yeah,if he wants to make a film just as bad as the one he's just finished.
Empire were 100% right in there review of Taken,which is just awful in every conceivable way.

(in reply to griff03)
Post #: 21
RE: Beyond bad even when bad is good - 19/1/2012 1:59:02 PM   
Deviation

quote:

ORIGINAL: griff03

OH FOR FUCK'S SAKE
the rating sometimes changes when reviewed into dvd because it is reviewed by a different reviewer.

(I gave Drive 4 stars btw)

Also, Taken is shit.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to griff03)
Post #: 22
RE: Beyond bad even when bad is good - 19/1/2012 5:08:58 PM   
Wild about Wilder

Not bad but was slightly let down by an average script thought Carano was Awsome, though it reminded me of a Grindhouse type of movie but with a much bigger budget.
On the whole a could've been better 3* film.

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 23
Disappointment - 19/1/2012 5:58:11 PM   
phil_mackenzie

I went to see this film with high expectations. The trailer was great- an agent betrayed by her superiors and she's out to get revenge. It looked like it could rival the excellence of Bourne.
Sadly, this film struggles to get out of first gear and it just plods along at its own tediously slow pace. The film does not escalate to a final showdown and apparently even administrators in these private/Government security offices know martial arts. The car "chase" getaway can only be described as abysmal. I am unsure if Steve was going for a sense of realism in it but sadly I don't go to the cinema to see that and I see more tense action on Cops with Cameras. What made it worse was the music throughout this particular scene and the rest of the movie as it was the same retro, clunky music which would be laughable were the film not so poor. Furthermore, the death of a 'good' character is painful to watch simply because the director tries to squeeze an emotive reaction from the audience but sadly fails.
The film epitomises disappointment and a sorry failure and Bourne is walking away laughing while he keeps his action crown.

Post #: 24
RE: Disappointment - 19/1/2012 6:02:32 PM   
Coyleone

I saw this last night and thought it was alright. The fight scene with Fassbender was the highlight, that was awesome stuff. Gina Carano is a seriously bad actress though, I found it quite hard to get past just how bad she was, infact I didn't think anyone was good in it. It also felt really rushed towards the end, I know he has that quick style to his films but this just felt way to rushed. There were characters that didn't get any pay off at all and were just left out. I would watch the one fight scene with the Bender again but there were a few times when it felt like 'ohhhh look it's Gina Carano, she can do her own stunts and can fight and stuff', but there were also a few really great parts as well like the chase scene over the roof tops. I did like the end and I thought the music was good too if a little too dramatic.

(in reply to phil_mackenzie)
Post #: 25
It was decent - 19/1/2012 6:04:30 PM   
Coyleone

I saw this last night and thought it was alright. The fight scene with Fassbender was the highlight, that was awesome stuff. Gina Carano is a seriously bad actress though, I found it quite hard to get past just how bad she was, infact I didn't think anyone was good in it. It also felt really rushed towards the end, I know he has that quick style to his films but this just felt way to rushed. There were characters that didn't get any pay off at all and were just left out. I would watch the one fight scene with the Bender again but there were a few times when it felt like 'ohhhh look it's Gina Carano, she can do her own stunts and can fight and stuff', but there were also a few really good parts as well like the chase scene over the roof tops. I thought the music was good, if a little too dramatic, but that didn't really make up for the rest of it.

Post #: 26
RE: Disappointment - 19/1/2012 6:10:24 PM   
phil_mackenzie

I think "the chase scene over the roof tops" is a little generous in its description but you are entitled to your opinion. However, I will agree with you to the end of the world that the only highlight was the Fassbender fight. On the other hand, I will find it hard to forgive her for killing the future Bond. He will have his revenge.

(in reply to Coyleone)
Post #: 27
RE: Disappointment - 19/1/2012 6:26:42 PM   
warren7355

Got to admit i'm very puzzled by this, most critics reviews are favourable yet 99% of reviews from the public slate it! Think i may give it a miss and go see Mr Fiennes instead. :

Post #: 28
RE: Disappointment - 19/1/2012 6:26:47 PM   
warren7355

Got to admit i'm very puzzled by this, most critics reviews are favourable yet 99% of reviews from the public slate it! Think i may give it a miss and go see Mr Fiennes instead. :

Post #: 29
RE: Disappointment - 19/1/2012 6:26:57 PM   
warren7355

Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Haywire Page: [1] 2 3 4   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI