Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Dr. D's In-flight Entertainment

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Audiophile >> RE: Dr. D's In-flight Entertainment Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Dr. D's In-flight Entertainment - 21/4/2012 5:29:04 PM   
Olaf

RE Soft Machine - what do you think of some of the other Canterbury bands? I love Gong and Caravan for instance, but I keep feeling like I'm missing something major with Henry Cow. (Wyatt's solo records are great too obviously.)

This also seems like a good opportunity to pimp This Heat some more, as they're lads who have clearly listened to a lot of SM/Wyatt solo stuff. There's only two albums but they're both essential listening.

I tried to groan, Help! Help! But the tone that came out was that of polite conversation.

Empire Top 100 Albums Poll 2013: CLICK HERE

(in reply to hubu_phonk)
Post #: 61
RE: Dr. D's In-flight Entertainment - 21/4/2012 5:46:34 PM   
hubu_phonk

I'm not too hip on the Canterbery scene but i have some Gong & Caravan hidden somewhere, i feel a massive Canterbery listen coming on Not heard This Heat. I'll try and sample some ASAP. Thanks for the tip off

< Message edited by hubu_phonk -- 21/4/2012 5:47:27 PM >

Straight in, no kissing

http://www.last.fm/user/hubuphonk

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 62
RE: Dr. D's In-flight Entertainment - 21/4/2012 7:13:26 PM   
hubu_phonk

These guys popped into my head as i was on the bus and again, it's been tragically too long since i busted them out

Add N to (X) - Add Insult to injury 2000

So testing Grooveshark again as my albums are still boxed up, and to be frank, i can't be arsed having a hoke about now. The album i was really craving for was their brilliant Avant Hard, but alas GS doesn't have that in full but they had this. It's great listening to them again. they have a fantastic sound, as if tailor made for Hubu pleasure, and they are a pleasure If you like dirty analogue soul, wonderful pulsing wonk, furious caustic drumming and phased out electronics on the verge of melting their circuits then this is a great listen. This must be what a PC goes through that moment before it crashes. A fantastic album and so glad i stuck it on, i love the world of Add N to (X) and I'm sad they are no more

Grooveshark Stream ( Album Link )

( Wiki Link )

Straight in, no kissing

(in reply to hubu_phonk)
Post #: 63
RE: Dr. D's In-flight Entertainment - 21/4/2012 9:07:38 PM   
hubu_phonk

another wee man that's been on my mind a few days and i finally found him ( wrongly labelled ) in my music files. So winding down now this with fantastic offering

John Jacob Niles - I Wonder as I Wander

What can i say about this great and interesting artist. I got hip over a year ago whilst pissing about on the work Spotify. My first listen to this album got me hooked, and when i did a bit of further reading i just fell more in love with him, and became quite obsessed with getting more material by him. Sadly this is all i was able to get hold of so far , but it is still a quite brilliant listen Not only does he have a fuck-off sized guitar, but he sings in such a beautiful, harmonious voice. His songs are stories in which he will sing both ( sometimes male and female) parts in sort of character, differentiated by his subtle tone. With old JJ, it's all about the voice with his guitar work just adding that small, faint presence floating along with him throughout. Most of his work ( and life long interest) was collecting a lot of traditional songs and stories that were predominately passed down via an oral tradition between families and communities all over America. The tracks to really sample if you get the chance is ' Go away from my window ' and ( one of my favourite songs of all time ) the title track ' I wonder as I wander ' which i find so hauntingly beautiful

Well as i said this album is available to stream on Spotify but Grooveshark is a no go Also i have never been able to find the title track sung by him on youtube either

Actually doing this post has inspired me to buy a few of his albums when i get paid on Friday Whoop whoop

( Wiki Link ) ( Discogs Link )

< Message edited by hubu_phonk -- 21/4/2012 9:18:18 PM >

Straight in, no kissing

(in reply to hubu_phonk)
Post #: 64
RE: Dr. D's In-flight Entertainment - 22/4/2012 12:43:09 AM   
hubu_phonk

Baby, it's been a while .....

Shinki Chen - Shinki Chen and his Friends 1971

I happened to get this tidy solo album by first listening to his earlier band, Speed, Glue & Shinki. I was only starting to really look into the Japanese offerings of psych & Prog, and this guy was not only one of the first finds, but one i just loved playing constantly for a while. It's a great wee piece of gentle, psychedelic, Bluesy J-Rock with a lovely warm laid back feel. It does have a few minor touches of electronic distortion on some songs used to great effect, and it doesn't overshadow the meaty rocky grooves Shinki lays out. I still really enjoy this album, and it was great to hear great tracks like ' Freedom Of A Mad Paper Lantern ' , ' It Was Only Yesterday ' and the immense 13 minute all out groove-stomper that is ' Farewell To Hypocrites '. If it sounds like your thing, give it a whirl

I was so happy to find that this is available to stream on Grooveshark

( Album Stream )

< Message edited by hubu_phonk -- 22/4/2012 1:40:33 AM >

Straight in, no kissing

(in reply to hubu_phonk)
Post #: 65
RE: Dr. D's In-flight Entertainment - 22/4/2012 1:23:00 AM   
hubu_phonk

An album i've had for a while but only popping it's cherry right now. All i can say is wow, how did i leave this waiting so long

A Cid Symphony ( Self Titled 1968 )

Well what a spellbinding and strange offering this is A huge slab of earthy acid folk from America and a real product of it's time, with fantastic guitar work that at times was real evocative of John Fahey but with more of an Middle Eastern touch and even Spanish at moments. It has some well balanced fusions of different styles like yodelling!, folky blues and Raga weaving around. The guitars are the main engine here, but little pockets of organic percussion and simple deep minimal drumming when needed, almost caresses the guitar work and really adds to the warmth of the tracks so far. I'm only half of the way in, and i'll say thats it's no unearthed master piece, but so far i like it and it's own wee groove that it has going on!

Again to my surprise, Grooveshark has this to stream

( Album Link )

( Discogs Link )

< Message edited by hubu_phonk -- 22/4/2012 1:51:52 AM >

Straight in, no kissing

(in reply to hubu_phonk)
Post #: 66
RE: Dr. D's In-flight Entertainment - 22/4/2012 10:02:09 AM   
hubu_phonk

A quick one here as I知 at work and using the ol' Spotify. I've been having a minor craving for traditional American Folk music of late, starting with the awesome John Jacob Niles above, I was searching and found this great artist I値l have fun looking deeper into

Elizabeth Cotten - Shake Sugaree ( 1967. Reissued with extra tracks 2004 )

Seems a prolific singer song writer from an early age and her guitar work is just simple wonderful, flowing along like a river, with that touch that traditional American folk music has for me, which is somehow between bitter sweet and melancholy. I'll have to edit this once I致e listened fully but a new artist's cherry popped and a good one too

< Message edited by hubu_phonk -- 22/4/2012 10:41:26 AM >

Straight in, no kissing

(in reply to hubu_phonk)
Post #: 67
RE: Dr. D's In-flight Entertainment - 22/4/2012 11:20:16 AM   
Larry of Arabia

Giving John Jacob Niles a listen now and it's wonderful stuff, his voice is really something special. I can remember watching Scorsese's Dylan doc No Direction Home and there was some footage of Niles shown that was spellbinding, I'm not sure why it's taken me this long to give him a listen proper but I'm glad I have! I love how the guitar seems to ebb and flow with his voice.

Elizabeth Cotten is great too, I can remember giving her a listen because Devendra Banhart used to do some covers of her songs live. There's a live version of the song Freight Train on Spotify, I think, where she get's the audience to join in on the chorus and it's just lovely. Watching her play guitar on Youtube is pretty great as she played it upside down (properly upside down, not cheating like Hendrix and putting the strings back the right way ), it really is something to see.

Going to give A Cid Symphony a listen next.

"Everything was beautiful and nothing hurt."

(in reply to hubu_phonk)
Post #: 68
RE: Dr. D's In-flight Entertainment - 22/4/2012 11:27:30 AM   
superdan

Elizabeth Cotten is amazing. I adore country blues.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Larry of Arabia
Watching her play guitar on Youtube is pretty great as she played it upside down (properly upside down, not cheating like Hendrix and putting the strings back the right way ), it really is something to see.

There's a surprising number of lefties who play that way. Albert King, Bob Geldof, Otis Rush, Gruff Rhys, Bobby Womack, Jimmy Cliff and Seal among others all play(ed) upside down. I wouldn't have a clue how to do it myself.

< Message edited by superdan -- 22/4/2012 11:36:30 AM >

(in reply to Larry of Arabia)
Post #: 69
RE: Dr. D's In-flight Entertainment - 22/4/2012 11:44:32 AM   
hubu_phonk

quote:

ORIGINAL: Larry of Arabia

Giving John Jacob Niles a listen now and it's wonderful stuff, his voice is really something special. I can remember watching Scorsese's Dylan doc No Direction Home and there was some footage of Niles shown that was spellbinding, I'm not sure why it's taken me this long to give him a listen proper but I'm glad I have! I love how the guitar seems to ebb and flow with his voice.

Going to give A Cid Symphony a listen next.

Straight in, no kissing

(in reply to Larry of Arabia)
Post #: 70
RE: Dr. D's In-flight Entertainment - 23/4/2012 1:12:44 AM   
hubu_phonk

Well I知 still at work after a pure stinking day and I値l be here a while still as there's contractors doing work for a while yet, and due to the power cut that lasted over 4 hours, the tills are well and truly up the left. So somehow i stuck this on, just the right woman for the moment

Barbara Lynn - Voices of Americana

i can't be arsed to do a wee waffle, but all I値l say is that she's soulful, soothing and a serious dude to boot and to Superdan up there, another leftie too

< Message edited by hubu_phonk -- 23/4/2012 1:34:45 AM >

Straight in, no kissing

(in reply to hubu_phonk)
Post #: 71
RE: Dr. D's In-flight Entertainment - 23/4/2012 1:53:40 AM   
hubu_phonk

In the mood for this

Moondog - Sax for Pax for Sax

Well he's just the bee's knees isn't he? I never get bored listening to him. A serious dude

Straight in, no kissing

(in reply to hubu_phonk)
Post #: 72
RE: Dr. D's In-flight Entertainment - 23/4/2012 9:57:17 AM   
Gram123

Wowo, this thread's moving apace!
Lots more I ain't heard of, couple I have.

Of what I've heard to date (which is really just their stuff on Ninja comps), I haven't really liked Jaga Jazzist very much (soz), though I do like a lot of stuff by their label-mates, (obv).

Add N to X, are they the ones who do robo-sexy lyrics/vids? (or rather, one of the ones... I'm sure there was another electronic music act in the last few years who had a naughty robots theme). I only know via a couple of singles, which, looking at the titles were probably Metal Fingers in My Body and Plug Me In and they seemed alright.

And finally, Moondog, who I'm only aware of because of Mr Scruff's sample of his tune for Get a Move On, which is the song responsible for me getting into the Grand Central / Ninja Tune / Tru Thoughts labels and everything that's led to since...

Gram123's Top Songs Project

(in reply to hubu_phonk)
Post #: 73
RE: Dr. D's In-flight Entertainment - 23/4/2012 10:37:22 AM   
hubu_phonk

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gram123

Of what I've heard to date (which is really just their stuff on Ninja comps), I haven't really liked Jaga Jazzist very much (soz), though I do like a lot of stuff by their label-mates, (obv).

TBH i haven't listened to them in ages so if i can find my cd's i'll have a listen. The only songs i really remember properly is the great ' Animal Chin ' and then a wee sublime song off their last offering i bought called ' Stardust Hotel ' ( which is Softmachine in a lot of places ). On NINJA TUNE, they are the bee's knees. i only have a couple of comps and a few artists off the lable , but they never fail to deliver great artists and songs

You've inspired me here Gram, might dabble on some releases that first get me tuned on to the awesome Ninja soon, in honour of you

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gram123

And finally, Moondog, who I'm only aware of because of Mr Scruff's sample of his tune for Get a Move On, which is the song responsible for me getting into the Grand Central / Ninja Tune / Tru Thoughts labels and everything that's led to since...

I actually didn't know who the sample was until i found a few Moondog albums over a year ago, so when his ' Birds Lament ' popped up i was like " Holy fuck ". He has some great songs, and an interesting guy too And for Mr. Scruff, it was the same for me. He's always great and i should get my arse in gear in listen to more of his compilation stuff.

< Message edited by hubu_phonk -- 23/4/2012 10:38:21 AM >

Straight in, no kissing

(in reply to Gram123)
Post #: 74
RE: Dr. D's In-flight Entertainment - 23/4/2012 11:19:55 AM   
hubu_phonk

On talking of all things Ninja Tune up there, I stuck on this wonderful offering

Kid Koala - Carpal Tunnel Syndrome 2000

Still my favourite offering by the cute as pie Canadian turntablist. I remember how i first got hip to this wonderful guy. Watching MTV2 at a friends house i saw his fantastic ' Fender Bender ' music video, and i was hooked . I pretty much went out and got hold of the album straight away and it was such a wee treat. Full of great samples and a unique style of playing and scratching i thought was so different to what most hip hop or DJ's i heard at that point where doing. This album is just plain simple fun with a wonky, distorted, played on wrong speed songs. Full of brilliant samples and kooky noises. I feel it's a damn tight offering and so unique for the time

I was too broke to see his live show in Manchester when i still lived in Stoke, but i had the pleasure of seeing him do a fantastic set as support act to Four Tet when i pretty much just moved to Belfast I even got my Carpal Tunnel Syndrome album autographed by him . He's as lovely and sweet as his music.

I was pleased to find this album for streaming on Grooveshark

( Album Link )

< Message edited by hubu_phonk -- 23/4/2012 11:25:19 AM >

Straight in, no kissing

(in reply to hubu_phonk)
Post #: 75
RE: Dr. D's In-flight Entertainment - 23/4/2012 11:34:54 AM   
Gram123

Ya, there's masses of good stuff in Ninja Tune's back catalogue - lots to come in my thread.

Big thumbs for Kid Koala.

Gram123's Top Songs Project

(in reply to hubu_phonk)
Post #: 76
RE: Dr. D's In-flight Entertainment - 23/4/2012 12:16:44 PM   
hubu_phonk

Well now i'm moving from the friendly cosy sounds of Kid Koala's Carpal Tunnel Syndrome to the dirty,isolating offerings off this wee nugget that jumped up slapped me in the face years ago

Techno Animal - Brotherhood of the Bomb 2001

After only just finishing Uni and deciding to graduate to living like a tramp around Stoke, I was the victim of a hit and run by these nasty fucks. The first artists to get me hip to the brilliant Matador label. This cold slab of ' Industrial Hip Hop ' is full of caustic, acidic sound scapes and fat, distorted crunchy beats that makes your ears spontaneously build up with wax to block out the dirty noises. I love it Like Kid Koala this was new territory for me in the genre of hip hop, and it was just my thing and complimented what drum 'n' bass i was smacking out to at the time. I'm enjoying listening to this album in the first time in donkey's, but i wish i had some decent speaker to give the meaty, floor scraping bass justice.This is the only offering by them i've heard, so maybe it's time to give the rest of their output a corrosive spin

Again pleased to find Groovshark has it to stream in full

( Album Link )

< Message edited by hubu_phonk -- 23/4/2012 12:26:56 PM >

Straight in, no kissing

(in reply to Gram123)
Post #: 77
RE: Dr. D's In-flight Entertainment - 23/4/2012 1:26:48 PM   
hubu_phonk

Inspired by the last two posts I've stuck this on. As i got hip to these artists with just one song (played until the hi-fi was worn out), pretty much all around the same time. It took me years to get my hole in gear to get the album, gave it the annoying customary one listen and haven't wopped it out since

Joy Zipper ( self titled 1999 )

This is a lovely wee indie pop album to be honest. Throughout the album they keep what got me hooked on the first place, their wonderful, almost bitter-sweet, harmonious voices. There are some great songs on offer, nothing offensive and it rolls along beautifully at times. Glad i stuck this on For anyone wanting to know, the song that got me all goo-eyed back then ( and still does ) is the awesome ' Check out my new Jesus '. So at least, if you haven't heard the album, play that song. I think it's beautiful and i hope you think it is too

Grooveshark thankfully has it

( Album Stream )

< Message edited by hubu_phonk -- 23/4/2012 2:11:48 PM >

Straight in, no kissing

(in reply to hubu_phonk)
Post #: 78
RE: Dr. D's In-flight Entertainment - 23/4/2012 2:50:21 PM   
hubu_phonk

Inspired from talking about the Matador label earlier, i found a band on a great 50th Anniversary comp of theirs around that time too. I thought the song of theirs included, ' Talk about the blues ' was an absolute barn blower and secured many a repeat listen. But in my usual laziness, i've never tried to secure an album since i first listened to them, even though i've fully enjoyed any songs i've heard . So i thought i'd sample one now

The Jon Spencer Blues Explosion Self Titled, 1992

Well so far it seems like a deep, sweaty piece of loud, angular blusey rock and any other busted guitar driven sub-rock genre you could find. That's not to say they are quite formatted, in fact there are little touches scattered about that just show what 'out there' influences they have that seem to make them all the more interesting. Great voice, great riffs, great vibe and great attitude. The kind of band I'd love to see live for sure. They seem to have a fair few offerings, so i have plenty to chew on over the next wee while

Unfortunately Grooveshark does not have this album to stream in full, with a few missed songs, but beggars can't be choosers

( Album Stream )

< Message edited by hubu_phonk -- 23/4/2012 2:51:18 PM >

Straight in, no kissing

(in reply to hubu_phonk)
Post #: 79
RE: Dr. D's In-flight Entertainment - 23/4/2012 3:53:53 PM   
hubu_phonk

Not the album i was searching for origionally ( but i have a feeling i could have it on my other computer ) i thought i'd pop this artists' & Albums cherry right now

Abed Azri - Mystic 2008

Well as a piece of contemporary Arabic classical music, based on ancient and modern Arabic texts, it'a a winner with me so far. Beautiful, minimal deep drums with that insistent bubbling percussion groping around the edges while his smoky voice sings and fades away, as if intertwining with the instruments. Those style of violins and flutes always get me going, and give me a sense of oncoming dread for some reason. It has a great atmosphere at times. If i don't have that album i was wanting, i'll be putting that on my purchase list on pay day He's definitely an artist i'll enjoy discovering more of

This album is available on Grooveshark

( Album Stream )

< Message edited by hubu_phonk -- 23/4/2012 4:03:22 PM >

Straight in, no kissing

(in reply to hubu_phonk)
Post #: 80
RE: Dr. D's In-flight Entertainment - 23/4/2012 4:15:14 PM   
sharkboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: hubu_phonk

What can i say about this great and interesting artist. I got hip over a year ago whilst pissing about on the work Spotify. My first listen to this album got me hooked, and when i did a bit of further reading i just fell more in love with him, and became quite obsessed with getting more material by him. Sadly this is all i was able to get hold of so far , but it is still a quite brilliant listen

I managed to come across some of his work after cottoning on to him after Twilight Singers did a superb cover of "Black Is The Colour of My True Love's Hair".  I've about 2 albums worth of material now that I'm sure I could make available...

quote:

Not only does he have a fuck-off sized guitar, but he sings in such a beautiful, harmonious voice.

That's no guitar, that's an appalacian dulcimer which is why it has such a beautiful unique ringing sound.  Apparently he used to make his own instruments - quite a talent!

WWLD?

Every time we think we have measured our capacity to meet a challenge, we look up and we're reminded that that capacity may well be limitless

I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit.

(in reply to hubu_phonk)
Post #: 81
RE: Dr. D's In-flight Entertainment - 23/4/2012 4:42:26 PM   
hubu_phonk

quote:

ORIGINAL: sharkboy
I managed to come across some of his work after cottoning on to him after Twilight Singers did a superb cover of "Black Is The Colour of My True Love's Hair". I've about 2 albums worth of material now that I'm sure I could make available...

Great stuff i may cash in on that

quote:

That's no guitar, that's an appalacian dulcimer which is why it has such a beautiful unique ringing sound. Apparently he used to make his own instruments - quite a talent!

what ever it is, it's a monster . I love artists that make their own instruments, Moondog did the same.

Straight in, no kissing

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 82
RE: Dr. D's In-flight Entertainment - 23/4/2012 5:36:51 PM   
hubu_phonk

Well yet another cherry pop . Found these guys and was able to stream this ( the earliest one i could get )

Charalambides - Market Square 1995

Well according to sources they are an psychedelic experimental, post-rock drone-folk band. Those words put together does make a happy Hubu Like that description, they so far in this first listen, do tick those boxes and there are some great atmospherics bubbling around. I like the music thoroughly in a lot of parts, just not too hot on her singing though. It's an interesting first listen and i may edit this post maybe after a another spin or two, because I'm just not too sure yet. They also have meaty discography under their belt, so i might have a rummage around to see what else they have to offer

this is available to stream on Grooveshark

( Album Stream )

< Message edited by hubu_phonk -- 27/4/2012 11:43:28 PM >

Straight in, no kissing

(in reply to hubu_phonk)
Post #: 83
RE: Dr. D's In-flight Entertainment - 23/4/2012 6:11:24 PM   
hubu_phonk

This is so far a great first listen to an artist who i've only just heard of before.

Charlemagne Palestine - Strumming Music 1974

I don't really know a lot of the minimalist composers, such as Philip Glass and all them loons, but this offering is just fantastic. A 50 minuet long, non-stop piano solo that just transcends, which is amazing as it's really only two keys he's repetitively working on, but the layers are intense and subtle simultaneously, occupying the foreground and background in a way i can't describe just yet. All i can say that this is fantastic and i must get more

And when i thought he couldn't get any better, i read this description on Wikipeadia

" Palestine's performance style is ritualistic: he generally surrounds himself (and his piano) with stuffed animals, smokes large numbers of kretek (Indonesian clove cigarettes), and drinks cognac."

Grooveshark stream this album in full

( Album Stream )

< Message edited by hubu_phonk -- 25/7/2012 10:42:55 AM >

Straight in, no kissing

(in reply to hubu_phonk)
Post #: 84
RE: Dr. D's In-flight Entertainment - 23/4/2012 6:49:03 PM   
Rebenectomy

quote:

I managed to come across some of his work after cottoning on to him after Twilight Singers did a superb cover of "Black Is The Colour of My True Love's Hair". I've about 2 albums worth of material now that I'm sure I could make available...

Black is the Colour is one of my all time favourite songs and there are so many brilliantly different versions of it. His particular version is really something.

Body Hair Beautiful: An Armpits for August Special
http://www.lipstogetherandblow.com/2013/07/body-beautiful.html

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 85
RE: Dr. D's In-flight Entertainment - 24/4/2012 6:23:23 PM   
hubu_phonk

Got home in the mood to finally check the whole album by this guy

Caribou - Swim 2010

I only heard the one track ' Sun ' about a year ago and i liked its easy going tempo, electronic vibe ( which i could imagine would be just fantastic by being pushed to the brink live), but again failed to check out the whole offering so here i am. Not really too much into the singing but his style really compliments the music though ( especially in Sun, as he's just repeating the title throughout ) The track Bowls is for me reminiscent of early Fourtet, with minimal, lush organic sounds complimenting the beats. The guy's good at what he does, very tidy and a nice piece of electronica that has a great sound and hooks, that never quite get to the point of pushing itself to the brink. He seems to have a meaty discography, so i am interested in what else he has to offer, as he seems to have so much going on in this album, but i feel it's almost too safely played at times. An interesting peep and a definate foot tapper of an album, even though i wanted it to be a head banger

Well, as i'm in the neighbourhood.....

Caribou - The Milk of Human Kindness 2005

Well this is a slightly different offering from Swim as it has that bit of ooomph that i thought lacking. This time most of the tracks have that early Fourtet sound and it seems the drums or drum machine is cranked up to good effect. This album sounds so much more organic and real compared to Swim , pushing that sound a wee bit more but as a whole lacking maybe the finer focus he has on his last album as there are a couple of pointless fillers, but it was a good first listen. I still feel that he's still punching below his weight though, but saying that i still found this album a great foot tapper and for most part flowed so lovely. Expect some Krautrock style grooves on tracks like A Final Warning , Bees and Barnowl also

Both are available to stream off Grooveshark

( Sun Album Stream ) ( The Milk of Human Kindness Album Stream )

< Message edited by hubu_phonk -- 24/4/2012 7:46:55 PM >

Straight in, no kissing

(in reply to Rebenectomy)
Post #: 86
RE: Dr. D's In-flight Entertainment - 24/4/2012 9:28:38 PM   
hubu_phonk

Doing a hoke in my collection for something that i've never or can't remember listening too and thought i'd give this a spin

The Dog That Bit People Self Titled 1971

I think I remember when I got it last year, but i have a feeling i just couldn't resist getting an album by a band with that name
Not a bad piece of bluesy ( at times even folky) rock. A few steady songs with some great breaks and organ at the start, and a real sense of enjoyment being had by the band. It's no lost classic and i felt it had some stinkers on. But it did have a nice ,almost led zeppelin, groove pretty much throughout. Perfect for the housework i was doing

I don't know about Spotify, but Grooveshark only has one song by them available

( Song Stream )

( Discogs Link )

< Message edited by hubu_phonk -- 25/4/2012 12:52:40 AM >

Straight in, no kissing

(in reply to hubu_phonk)
Post #: 87
RE: Dr. D's In-flight Entertainment - 24/4/2012 10:04:45 PM   
hubu_phonk

Well now i'm on this first listen, an album i was really excited about when I got it only a few weeks ago, but forgot about playing it

Ch麩e Noir - Chant Pour Le Delta, La Lune Et Le Soleil 1976

i didn't know what to really expect, but this is just fantastic, i just wish i knew French sometimes . Ch麩e Noir ( or full name Th鰾tre du Ch麩e Noir d'Avignon ) as far as i can gather were ( and possibly still ) a performance group and you get that straight from the off. The Narration is the main focus on this album, but the music that surrounds it is just so lush, sensual, gorgeous and other worldly. Some beautiful, and at times quite experimental Jazz on display too, being just enough of a head melt at certain moments to make a happy Hubu If you like Jazz and even Axelrod ( something about it reminds me of the Axe ), I think you'll like this, I did and such a great and interesting first listen. So glad i got their first album too

Again i don't know if Spotify has it, but Groovshark is a no-no

( Discogs Link ) no Wiki info but here's some ( Info Link )

< Message edited by hubu_phonk -- 24/4/2012 10:09:01 PM >

Straight in, no kissing

(in reply to hubu_phonk)
Post #: 88
RE: Dr. D's In-flight Entertainment - 25/4/2012 1:56:19 AM   
hubu_phonk

The first listen of two albums i managed to snaffle a while ago, and so glad i did

Emil Richards - New Sound Element "Stones" 1966

Well this is one hell of a super-wonky space trip if i've ever heard one, and it's great 12 tracks, all titled after stones ( and months ). Full of strange space age sounds akin to the Peter Thomas Sound Orchestra on Warp Back to Earth. Sometimes it really doesn't know what tempo to be in, but in a quite brilliant way and all held together by fantastic percussion. For fans of un-easy listening, space-lounge wonktronica, it's a must, and a thoroughly great listen
Also looking further into him, he seems a very interesting guy, who's worked with some fantastic ( and legendary ) composers, artists and bands in his life time. I'm going to enjoy some digging

Now in seeing if this album was available to stream, i found something quite strange and a wonderful surprise. Not the above album but this, which must of been a companion piece of some sorts, i just can't figure it out, but who cares and just wow....

Hal Blaine - Psychedelic Percussion 1967

It has a lot of the same sounds and feel as Stones up there, but only sort of down played or not as wonky. This time the track titles have hippy/psychadelic names and that strange month sub -title. It also has a bigger, darker Jazz feel, especially with a drumming beast who dominates so wonderfully. This may be my favourite of the two. Either way i chuffed to bits at the extra discovery and I'm intrigued by both these artist even more

( Psychedelic Percussion Album Stream )

( Wiki Emil ) ( Discogs Emil ) ( Wiki Hal ) ( Discogs Hal )

( That strange combo Discogs Link )

Straight in, no kissing

(in reply to hubu_phonk)
Post #: 89
RE: Dr. D's In-flight Entertainment - 25/4/2012 7:41:15 AM   
hubu_phonk

I may have to give this a listen at some point, all i want to say is... what the fuck

Straight in, no kissing

(in reply to hubu_phonk)
Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Audiophile >> RE: Dr. D's In-flight Entertainment Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI