Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Dr. D's In-flight Entertainment

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Audiophile >> RE: Dr. D's In-flight Entertainment Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Dr. D's In-flight Entertainment - 17/4/2012 8:53:50 PM   
hubu_phonk

Well after a wee while of thinking of not only getting my hole in gear with this L'arte dei Rumori thread and contemplating about being bold enough to try a similar thread to explore jazz and focus on listening to as much of certain jazz artist as possible, and to top it off my recent saturation of the "what are you listening to right now...." thread, I've decided to just focus on all of the above and just re-boot this thread to incorporate all my listening habits and explorations. The same statement from the start still applies but now with more genres and artists to waffle about, as well as still being open for any comments, discussions and hopefully musical suggestions from all you Man-Beasts & She-Freaks of the forum

From now on this thread will be know as............

Dr. D's In-Flight Entertainment

The foods shite, but there's plenty to drink and the views are lovely

< Message edited by hubu_phonk -- 17/4/2012 9:35:01 PM >

Straight in, no kissing

http://www.last.fm/user/hubuphonk

(in reply to hubu_phonk)
Post #: 31
RE: Dr. D's In-flight Entertainment - 17/4/2012 9:24:03 PM   
hubu_phonk

A quick first test of the re-boot with the mighty Ash Ra Tempel with their album Starring Rosi

At the moment I know I've heard more and that i may have some albums tucked away somewhere, but honestly couldn't remember what they sounded like, so i was happy to jump in and sample this. Well this album is a real groover. It has a wee bit of squelch in the right places, metronomic beats, cosmic sounds, an almost easy on the ear 'Agitation Free' vibe, as well as moments where I felt compelled to dance naked, waving a shiny dagger in some sort of mystic trance. I'll definitely gather what I can of them and do a fuller post at some point, as i have a suspicion that they have some real whacked out offerings to savour. This is my first listen to this album and it's great

< Message edited by hubu_phonk -- 17/4/2012 9:35:50 PM >

Straight in, no kissing

(in reply to hubu_phonk)
Post #: 32
RE: Dr. D's In-flight Entertainment - 17/4/2012 10:22:39 PM   
hubu_phonk

Next up is this tasty 1976 sound track Garofano rosso by Italian Proggers Banco del Mutuo Soccorso

Due to the fact i cannot use the other computer to check my music files, i do think i may have some of this bands material somewhere. So unfortunately i wasn't able to stream the 1972 album by them i was looking for, Darwin! . But this wasn't a bad offering by any means. It has that soundtrack feel, more atmospherics than songs, but still a damn tasty slice of jazzy-prog from the Italians. Plenty of 'Gong' like brass 'n' breaks, wonky electronics and floating melodies that suddenly fall into those doom-like piano pieces, with space noises and dramatic, semi fuzzy freak outs. A good listen and I'm interested in looking further into their output.

Straight in, no kissing

(in reply to hubu_phonk)
Post #: 33
RE: Dr. D's In-flight Entertainment - 18/4/2012 9:24:30 AM   
hubu_phonk

Just listening to this fantastic comp The Day After The Sabbath 27 : Psych Tentacles 66 - 69.

This is part of what seems to be a nugget bursting 60+ strong series by a great wee blog I've shockingly forgotten about. So if you're into rare gems from the vaults of Psych, Prog and fuzzed-out Proto - Metal, then please have a wee sniff on this blog The Day After The Sabbath ( Site Link )

All volumes are available for direct download from the blog, and i have a few somewhere on my other system, a couple that i remember being a cracking collection of fuzzed-out Middle Eastern Psych stompers that i must get out asap. But i am also happy to of found that a fair clatter of volumes from the series are available for streaming on Grooveshark ( Stream Link )

< Message edited by hubu_phonk -- 19/4/2012 11:56:58 AM >

Straight in, no kissing

(in reply to hubu_phonk)
Post #: 34
RE: Dr. D's In-flight Entertainment - 18/4/2012 10:09:38 AM   
hubu_phonk

Now to the first audio cherry pop of the day I've just stumbled onto this interesting Dutch Folker, Boudewijn de Groot and his album Voor de Overlevenden

I was originally wanting to get hold of his 1969 acid-folk master piece Nacht en ontij, but this album is not a bad offering to an unheard of artist. He does sing in the vein of such French warblers like Jacques Brel and he has a nice way of carrying it off. The music is well made folk pop at times. Lot's of moist strings, orchestration, 60's beats and pop sensibility. Saying that it is not overly stuffed with these and has a pleasant flow throughout. A nice first offering, and i hope to have the album i was searching for in a few days

If your interest is piqued, then i am happy say that Voor de Overlevenden is available on Grooveshark ( Stream Link ) But as of yet, again with GS, i cannot tell if the albums on offer are in full Also for the exta nosey of you, here are his wiki & Discogs links ......... ( Wiki Link ) ( Discogs Link )

< Message edited by hubu_phonk -- 18/4/2012 10:37:59 AM >

Straight in, no kissing

(in reply to hubu_phonk)
Post #: 35
RE: Dr. D's In-flight Entertainment - 18/4/2012 10:33:04 AM   
hubu_phonk

Again, not the album i was looking for as i couldn't resist looking for something titled "The Strange Tale Of Captain Shannon And The Hunchback From Gigha"

BUT this, their 1969 eponymous first album, by British folk out-fit Bread, Love and Dreams is a lovely slice of strong, wonderful male & female vocals, earthy folk guitar and use of some beautiful strings and floating harmonies. Oh, and it's got a real easy grooving vibe so far. I'm pretty excited at this wee new find of the day and i will endeavour to get the rest of their small output.

Again i was pleased to find this album available to stream at least ( Album Stream Link )

And for the nosey here's the Wiki & Discogs Links

( Wiki Link ) ( Discogs Link )

Straight in, no kissing

(in reply to hubu_phonk)
Post #: 36
RE: Dr. D's In-flight Entertainment - 18/4/2012 12:31:56 PM   
hubu_phonk

Maybe yet another cherry popped! I do feel as if I've listened to this offering before though. This time it's Bruce Palmer – The Cycle Is Complete 1970

Well it's a beaut with only 4 tracks on, one spanning 16 mins, it's not short on atmosphere and craftsmanship. Apparently a bud of Neil Young and and with the early incarnation of Buffalo Springfield, this is Palmers only solo effort. That is a shame as The Cycle is Complete is a wonderful album. A real loose, almost avant-garde at times, piece of bluesy-rock, folk-jazz trips. The songs have a loose 'of the moment' jam quality to them, but that's not to say despite their length that Palmer and Co looses focus or their out and out soulful grooviness A joy to listen to, and a hearty recommendation if you haven't heard it before

and for the nosey

Grooveshark ( Album Stream )

< Message edited by hubu_phonk -- 18/4/2012 12:33:42 PM >

Straight in, no kissing

(in reply to hubu_phonk)
Post #: 37
RE: Dr. D's In-flight Entertainment - 18/4/2012 8:34:23 PM   
hubu_phonk

Due to finding i had a few Jon Appleton records hidden away, i spied that i also have a very small collection by avant-garde electronic composer Robert Ashley
I remember finding a song by him by accident a year ago, and was instantly hooked.
I'm only cracking one album by him now as the main title track is 45 mins long and that's fine as it apparently took him five years to make!

So, i'm currently crunching along with the 1976 Robert Ashley – Automatic Writing

The album I have, seems to be special 1996 re-release with two other songs included. But the track Automatic Writing is a slow, subtle wash of distorted vocals and drifting, repetitive sound mosaiques. As i can gather it is a sort of concept of an opera based around his Tourette’s Syndrome and the idea of unconscious or involuntary sound making, as well as his exploration of the unconscious versus conscious in music. He recorded his own speech and the distortion used is quite unsettling at times, as well as that, it has a constant acidic foreground of sound whilst there is a subtle, almost serine harmony playing far far away in the background. Spooky shit Ash

When i have time for this interesting and inspiring composer, i'll definately listen to the other albums i have, but to be quite frank, I'm worn out !

I checked, and he is not available to stream on GS, but as of yet i do not know if he is available on Spotify.

Nosey's...

< Message edited by hubu_phonk -- 18/4/2012 8:56:23 PM >

Straight in, no kissing

(in reply to hubu_phonk)
Post #: 38
RE: Dr. D's In-flight Entertainment - 18/4/2012 9:55:20 PM   
hubu_phonk

Well to try and slowly bring me back to normality, i've decided to slap on a great wee offering from Sam Spence

His 1972 De Wolfe release Sam Spence - The Art Of The Synthesizer

Ol' Sam has a great way of delivering a joyful, gloop-ridden, mechanically crunchy sound on this great LP. He is in a similar vein to the likes of Roger Roger (and those other early, cheeky French moogers), in his fun, exploitative use of the 'new sound', but he does lack a bit of originality in comparison. That's not to say he's bad, as he has bucket loads of busting to be sampled songs, laden with wonky atmospherics and break heavy sci-sensibilities. He's a fun guy, and for me, always a great listen

A good entry point for anyone wanting to check him out would be this tidy comp
Sam Spence Sounds, if not just for the awesome break heavy, electronic gloop gem that is Water World

Sam Spence Sounds is thankfully available to stream on Grooveshark

( Album Stream Link )

For an extra nosey

< Message edited by hubu_phonk -- 18/4/2012 10:05:27 PM >

Straight in, no kissing

(in reply to hubu_phonk)
Post #: 39
RE: Dr. D's In-flight Entertainment - 18/4/2012 10:26:47 PM   
hubu_phonk

Now for this, very dear to me, record

The Zodiac - Cosmic Sounds 1967

When i first heard this at 17 i just fell in love with it from the first note. It took me ages to track down a decent copy and it was worth all the effort.

12 tracks, each one for a different star sign, narrated by with what seems complete madness and all backed with their own stonking, lush psychedelic theme song. I've spotted a few samples in there down the years, and so it should, it is awesome. I still use it whenever i make compilation cd's for friends, so as to put their star sign song on If you haven't listened to this, please do as it's fantastic and a very treasured album

I will always remember laughing heartily when i heard my sign, Sagittarius, being played and that one line " Ah,Sagittarius, brining laughter to the clowns, tumbling with the acrobats, telling fortunes to the Gypsies".

Again i'm happy to find this available on Grooveshark

( Album Stream Link )

Extra reading

( Wiki Link )

< Message edited by hubu_phonk -- 18/4/2012 10:42:38 PM >

Straight in, no kissing

(in reply to hubu_phonk)
Post #: 40
RE: Dr. D's In-flight Entertainment - 19/4/2012 3:21:45 PM   
hubu_phonk

Well i was lucky to get my chops around a new artist today, This time the experimental, French electronic composer Michel Chion

First listen of his 79/96 release Tu

Well from the off it's a swirling, disorientating mosaique of sounds, pitches and atmospherics that quite frankly made me want to shit most of the time. All with some strange French dialogue that runs in tandem, rather again like Robert Ashley, making it feel like some sort of bleak, surreal opera or a David Lynch pass the parcel round. An interesting listen and so far an interesting artist as he is also a writer on the relationships between sound and image in film, so i would love to get a little deeper into what this guys has done, especially if he has any audio visual works. A great first listen, even though it disconcerted me somewhat at times

I also managed to try out his 1975 work On n'arrete pas le regret

So far a tad more easy on the soul than the album Tu with (in comparison) occasional pleasant sounds bubbling up more often. More synth, string work and experimental orchestration of sounds that still leaves that unsettling ring in your ears. It's arrangements and distortions are very minimal at times, but carry such weight in sonic presence that it's hard not to stare wide eyed in his bright, blurry surgical lamps as his proceeds to slice into your scalp. A great wee listen and even though it's slightly chirpier than the album above, pray death comes quickly

Both of these albums would be the perfect ambience for a party, one where everyone has been hung up by the neck with a piano wire

I was happy to of streamed these off Grooveshark but with the bummer that was not being able to stream ( for some strange reason) his 1973 Requiem album.

( Album Streams )

Further nosey's

< Message edited by hubu_phonk -- 19/4/2012 4:21:07 PM >

Straight in, no kissing

(in reply to hubu_phonk)
Post #: 41
RE: Dr. D's In-flight Entertainment - 19/4/2012 11:29:05 PM   
Rebenectomy

quote:

ORIGINAL: hubu_phonk

Well it's a beaut

It really is, loved this one, so much going on, but everything fitting together perfectly.

Body Hair Beautiful: An Armpits for August Special
http://www.lipstogetherandblow.com/2013/07/body-beautiful.html

(in reply to hubu_phonk)
Post #: 42
RE: Dr. D's In-flight Entertainment - 20/4/2012 12:05:22 AM   
hubu_phonk

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rebenectomy

quote:

ORIGINAL: hubu_phonk

Well it's a beaut

It really is, loved this one, so much going on, but everything fitting together perfectly.

A bit like my face

Straight in, no kissing

(in reply to Rebenectomy)
Post #: 43
RE: Dr. D's In-flight Entertainment - 20/4/2012 11:47:48 AM   
hubu_phonk

Ok, just by accident whilst trying to see if i can stream off Grooveshark, the juicy volumes of Anthology of Noise and Electronic Music, i happened to bump in these noisy fucks. Not only do they make a racket but interestingly enough they come from China, a country i really don't know about musically. But this, i didn't think that went down there!

Torturing Nurse - NanaNanaNanaNanaNanaNana 2005

We so far on this 24 song strong pop-noise album, it has the usual screaming, crackly electronics and dislocated sound scapes that you'd expect by more modern Noise artists, who i feel just lack that fine focus of composition that the older gentry of the genre have. It's ok but I'll have to look into them further. They are like Wolf Eyes but without real meaty parts. Looking at their discography it seems they have, since 2004 !, made over 200 cd's .Busy Bees

( Album Stream Link )

( Discogs Link )

< Message edited by hubu_phonk -- 20/4/2012 12:40:17 PM >

Straight in, no kissing

(in reply to hubu_phonk)
Post #: 44
RE: Dr. D's In-flight Entertainment - 20/4/2012 12:11:28 PM   
hubu_phonk

Now in the mood for this great wee album that i haven't cracked open for ages , and so glad i was able to stream

Lightning Bolt -Wonderful Rainbow 2003

This is unfortunately the only offering i've heard by the noise rock scamps. It's a great listen and has loads of glitchy riffs, imploding feed back and hectic drums. Fantastic stuff and i'm happy to of remembered about them. If you're a fan of DJ Scotch Egg, they supported him in Belfast years ago, and you can hear why. My friend said it was the loudest gig he's ever been to. Ever since i first heard it, the best song on the album for out and out glitchy grooviness is the track Two Towers. The perfect song to walk down the aisle to

Grooveshark streams ( Albums Link )

< Message edited by Rebenectomy -- 20/4/2012 1:24:07 PM >

Straight in, no kissing

(in reply to hubu_phonk)
Post #: 45
RE: Dr. D's In-flight Entertainment - 20/4/2012 2:57:35 PM   
hubu_phonk

Loving playing this for the first time in a while, the brilliant .....

Boards of Canada - Music has the Right to Children 1998

Well it's still fantastic. I always feel that it's the sunnier, and dare i say, even more optimistic counterpart of their later stomper Geogaddi. Full of great, big edgy-chill-out beats and spooky, bubbling sounds weaving throughout. The first song i heard of BOC was from the album, the shuddering beat trip that is Telephasic Workshop . Music has the right to Children is always a joy to listen to and a brilliant début form BOC Plus the cover still freaks me out

Even though i expect everyone to have this treasure in their collection, here's the Grooveshark link ( Album Stream )

< Message edited by hubu_phonk -- 20/4/2012 3:21:23 PM >

Straight in, no kissing

(in reply to hubu_phonk)
Post #: 46
RE: Dr. D's In-flight Entertainment - 20/4/2012 4:16:39 PM   
hubu_phonk

Well due to wopping out BOC up there, it reminded me of an album that got heavy rotation at the same time. Sadly, again, someone I've got out of the way of listening to for a few years.

Zero 7 - Simple Things 2001

It's such a nice listen, especially as it seems so long since i last listened to it. Such a lush, organic sounding album, and with just the right amount of squelch and brass in the right places too The beautiful vocals are well played and compliment the tone of Zero 7 so well, and used just right. Simply a wonderful album

When Simple Things has stopped doing it's thang, i'll be putting on their next output, the wonderful follow-up album When it Falls 2004. All i remember at the moment is the fantastic song Warm Sound and that there was one tune i was convinced sounded like a Bon Jovi song. I'll edit this once I've stuck it on

EDIT: Fuck me it's good and a wonderful gift for the old ears. I do feel that this is better than Simple Things even though it has the same delicate touches. The songs tighter, and some how cranked their lushness and warmth up to 11.That combined with the wonderful, wonderful singing too A joy from start to finish and bringing back great memories, of the summer i played this pretty much every day when i worked as a picture framer. i feel i can only describe this album in this way, it feels like being caught in a shower on a warm day nearing dusk whilst sitting in the edge of a wood, if you know what i mean

And that song that remined me of Bon Jovi, well it's when it Falls. The rhythm really reminds me of Jovi's Wanted dead or Alive

On a extra note, I did get their two last albums The Garden and Yeah Goast. I think I've given them one listen, and sadly not returned which is strange as i don't think they were bad albums in the least. So when i get the chance i'll drag them out and have a good listen

I was pleased to find these albums available to stream in full on Grooveshark

( Simple Things ) ( When it Falls ) ( The Garden ) ( Yeah Goast )

< Message edited by hubu_phonk -- 20/4/2012 5:03:51 PM >

Straight in, no kissing

(in reply to hubu_phonk)
Post #: 47
RE: Dr. D's In-flight Entertainment - 20/4/2012 4:23:50 PM   
Gram123

Yay! BOC & both Zero 7s. Finally, some albums I know!
I have The Garden as well, but can't really bring to mind any specific tracks from it...

Gram123's Top Songs Project

(in reply to hubu_phonk)
Post #: 48
RE: Dr. D's In-flight Entertainment - 20/4/2012 4:27:40 PM   
hubu_phonk

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gram123

Yay! BOC & both Zero 7s. Finally, some albums I know!
I have The Garden as well, but can't really bring to mind any specific tracks from it...

Aye me too! i'm looking forward to putting them two 'forgotten' Zero 7 albums on, hopefully, tomorrow. I'm loving listening to Zero 7 at the moment

Also it's reminding me yet again, of another brilliant artist i played heavily around that time, the joyous Lemon Jelly. Hopefully i can stick them on next week and do a post. They were great craic

< Message edited by hubu_phonk -- 20/4/2012 4:46:20 PM >

Straight in, no kissing

(in reply to Gram123)
Post #: 49
RE: Dr. D's In-flight Entertainment - 20/4/2012 5:07:28 PM   
Gram123

Yah! Lemon Jelly's first 2 albums are great, the 3rd one.... nnngghn.
Also their DJ mix Jelly Mixture is very good if you can find a boot of it. Bernard Cribbins FTW.

Gram123's Top Songs Project

(in reply to hubu_phonk)
Post #: 50
RE: Dr. D's In-flight Entertainment - 20/4/2012 5:12:25 PM   
hubu_phonk

I've only got and heard the first two. I now have a serious craving for Song for Jack and Ramblin' Man. Talking of these guys i used to love sticking on their Elements tune as a warm up song in my sets every now and then. Enough time for a fag, two pints and an E. memories

Straight in, no kissing

(in reply to Gram123)
Post #: 51
RE: Dr. D's In-flight Entertainment - 20/4/2012 10:58:07 PM   
Rebenectomy

Fred Deakin from Lemon Jelly came to a party in my house once. About half an our after he left the place was raided. He's obviously Five O.

Body Hair Beautiful: An Armpits for August Special
http://www.lipstogetherandblow.com/2013/07/body-beautiful.html

(in reply to hubu_phonk)
Post #: 52
RE: Dr. D's In-flight Entertainment - 20/4/2012 11:07:37 PM   
rawlinson

You and Gram are killing me , I keep finding new albums I want to hear and I'm already hundreds of hours behind.

(in reply to Rebenectomy)
Post #: 53
RE: Dr. D's In-flight Entertainment - 20/4/2012 11:20:19 PM   
Olaf

MHTRTC is one of the best things ever ever (as is Geogaddi and Twoism). Campfire Headphase is well underrated too.

I tried to groan, Help! Help! But the tone that came out was that of polite conversation.

Empire Top 100 Albums Poll 2013: CLICK HERE

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 54
RE: Dr. D's In-flight Entertainment - 21/4/2012 12:15:19 AM   
hubu_phonk

quote:

ORIGINAL: Olaf

MHTRTC is one of the best things ever ever (as is Geogaddi and Twoism). Campfire Headphase is well underrated too.

To be honest i Felt that Campfire Headphase was a bit weak, with only a couple of songs that really elevated above such as dayvan cowboy. Saying that it has been years sinced i last slapped in on, so maybe an another listen would change my mind

< Message edited by hubu_phonk -- 21/4/2012 8:00:27 AM >

Straight in, no kissing

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 55
RE: Dr. D's In-flight Entertainment - 21/4/2012 12:40:15 AM   
Olaf

Yeah, it is fair to say it's definitely a step down from Geogaddi/MHTRTC. (Though I put that down to those two being flawless classics really.) I have a lot of affection for it either way, slightly below par BoC is still better than pretty much everyone else (with the possible exception of Aphex, though I find a lot of his side-projects and stuff to be pretty hit and miss).

I'm going to have to go listen to all these again, which is weird for me in April because I generally find that I listen to BoC a bit throughout the year but go on huge listening binges during the winter time. I still associate a lot of their stuff with the time I got TCH, Beautiful Place, Twoism and Trans-Canada Highway all together at Christmas about two/three years ago, good times.

I tried to groan, Help! Help! But the tone that came out was that of polite conversation.

Empire Top 100 Albums Poll 2013: CLICK HERE

(in reply to hubu_phonk)
Post #: 56
RE: Dr. D's In-flight Entertainment - 21/4/2012 3:13:12 AM   
hubu_phonk

So, all the staff has again kindly fucked off and given my head peace after work, leaving me a chance to play some music. On the work spotify i noticed on my playlist that there is a compilation album that I have both volumes of back home, and a pair of crackers they are too I'll have to break them out soon and post about the second one

Space Oddities 2008

This, the first offering, is a collection of superb "Rare European Library Grooves From 1977-1984" . Every track is a belter I remember getting it during my renaissance in space disco and the such a fair while back. It has all you need, gloopy-wonky sounds and repetitive metronomic club beats. I would say that most of the album does comprise of not really Disco, but the early makings of the club track. A great listen if it's your thang and i heartily recommend it. You'll find killer tracks by the like of Jean-Pierre Decerf , Bernard Fevre ( and his awesome track 'Dali') , Roger Roger and Claude Perraudin .All who ( exclude Roger Roger already) i will definitely post about at a later date on their great output.

I can't seem to post the spotify link, but if you have it, it does have both volumes

Grooveshark has it as well ( Vol 1 Stream Link ) , but alas does not have vol 2 in full

Enjoy

< Message edited by hubu_phonk -- 21/4/2012 8:02:48 AM >

Straight in, no kissing

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 57
RE: Dr. D's In-flight Entertainment - 21/4/2012 8:55:30 AM   
hubu_phonk

Early rise but i woke up in the mood for some old school sonic freaking

So i slapped on this offering by one of my Favourite Guitarists, ol' half lung himself

Link Wray - Bullshot 1979

This was the first album to hand in my music folder, but also one i haven't listened to yet, so all good! I just love albums with tracks called Switchblade ( and that's an awesome alleyway scuffle song if I've ever heard one). His rendition of Fever is simply brilliant, and has an almost ESG drum and bass style! Wild party is a sweaty piano 'n' roll hoot. The Sky is Falling is great too.This guy never fails to surprise me with little far out gems and touches that just show his cosmic genius Not a bad album, even though it's not all killer for me as it does get a bit pisshy near the end. In fact, if i could go back in time, he is one artist I'd love to see live

And he always looks cool as fuck. If i wasn't such a baldy bastard i'd be mincing around looking like this

Straight in, no kissing

(in reply to hubu_phonk)
Post #: 58
RE: Dr. D's In-flight Entertainment - 21/4/2012 9:54:54 AM   
hubu_phonk

Well now i have a notion for these fantastic guys Soft machine. As my collection of their output is on the other computer, i had a go at streaming them, and so far so good on album availability on Grooveshark. I actually can't remember which albums i have, but i had a real hard on for them a while back and realised what a massive influence they were on a Favourite band of mine, Jaga Jazzist ( in fact i'm torn between thinking that they play a beautiful homage, or just blatantly ripping them off in a lot of songs)

So to be consistent i might as well start at the beginning and eventually work my way through, as it's been too long since i freaked with the Softs

Soft Machine - Soft Machine 1968

A great deut by the progressive jazz rockers. A little bit in keeping with the format of the usual psych rock format of the time in this album, but there are those little hints of the future jazzy, sonic awesomeness that dominates their later output. A fantastic listen non the less and if you have never been into them, it's a great place to start

Also, i've just seen this Photo of Soft Machine. I look like yer man in the bottom right of this picture, but with the moustache of the top right. Fuck Oh, that's also Rebenectomy in the centre

Grooveshark Stream ( Album Link )

Straight in, no kissing

(in reply to hubu_phonk)
Post #: 59
RE: Dr. D's In-flight Entertainment - 21/4/2012 10:26:43 AM   
hubu_phonk

zip up, we're heading into space

As i'm testing what Grooveshark can offer me i'm trying out a few titles i have and love dearly, like this wee compilation that is just so easy to fall in love with

G Spots

Pretty much does what it says on the tin, " Spacy folk electro-horror sounds ". It is a great collection, lots of gloop, wonk, distorted beats and spacey easy-listening. The perfect album for cocktails at the moonbase, and another example why the visionaries at Trunk Records always make a happy Hubu

( Trunk Records Album Link )

Grooveshark Stream ( Album Link )

Straight in, no kissing

(in reply to hubu_phonk)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Audiophile >> RE: Dr. D's In-flight Entertainment Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI