Post #: 2
Typical Empire... - 13/1/2012 12:59:48 PM   
Bobby TwoTimes

...always hate comedies!

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 3
It's not that bad... - 13/1/2012 1:47:00 PM   
A Delicious Bass

I really enjoyed this movie in parts but it is quite uneven. William Scott does his best with a character that he seems to really have to hold back on. Alison Pill brings her A game as usual and the hockey and in rink scenes are great. The fight scenes are graffic but they work quite well and who doesn't like Liev Schreiber with a Canadian accent he's a legend. Baruchels influence and role take away from it in a big way had he not been involved this may have been a lot better. Here's to hoping his foul mouth and lack of comedy timing are kept off our screens for the foreseeable future.

Post #: 4
RE: It's not that bad... - 13/1/2012 7:50:25 PM   
nhassell

It looks like the worst comedy ever made.

This Is The End - ***
Man Of Steel - ***
The Great Gatsby - ***
Iron Man 3 - ***
Evil Dead - ***

(in reply to A Delicious Bass)
Post #: 5
RE: Goon - 15/1/2012 12:15:55 AM   
captainrentboy

Saw it earlier and really enjoyed it. It's not continuously 'piss your pants' funny, but there are a good few laughs throughout. It was more the simple but effective (Thanks to Scott and his various team mates) 'Underdog' story that had me hooked, and the Hockey matches/fights (Even though I can't stand American sports) were sooo OTT in their brutality and violence (Stretched the 15 rating IMO) I couldn't help but find them fun to watch.
Scott as the dim witted Goon is great in the lead, it makes a refreshing change to see him play such a non Stifler-esque role for once. Baruchel on the other hand is fucking diabolical, I was surprised to see his name attached to so many of the credits at the end, as the charcater he plays is one of the unfunniest creations I think I've ever seen. Thankfully he's not in it for long.
Definitely worth a gander.
3.5/5

Post #: 6
RE: Goon - 15/1/2012 2:31:37 AM   
Qwerty Norris

quote:

ORIGINAL: captainrentboy

Baruchel on the other hand is fucking diabolical, I was surprised to see his name attached to so many of the credits at the end, as the charcater he plays is one of the unfunniest creations I think I've ever seen.

Bang on the money there. It felt like my soul was being devoured every moment the screen was graced by his moronic presence.

Qwerty's Top 10 of 2013 (so far)

1. Zero Dark Thirty
2. No
3. A Hijacking
4. Behind the Candelabra
5. In The Fog
6. Good Vibrations
7. McCullin
8. Beyond the Hills
9. The Place Beyond the Pines
10. Wreck-it Ralph

(in reply to captainrentboy)
Post #: 7
Goon - 15/1/2012 6:32:12 AM   
antosh25

Not surprised !

Post #: 8
Uneven, questionable, but brilliant. - 19/1/2012 6:50:14 PM   
byredianboy

I rarely disagree with Empire reviews, but this is one of those occasions. This is likely to be because I love Ice Hockey, and this summed up the sport for me; fast, harsh, with a wonderful flippancy towards violence.
That said I cannot concede point made the narrative. It is uneven, to say the least. It's emotional drive is cack handed, and one has to say questionable - is ok for a person to accept that getting battered and kicking the shit out is all they're good for? Plus Doug 'The Thug' Glatt accepts this of himself far too easily.
And I am certainly not going to disagree with comments made about Baruchel's vulgar involvement.
But I thought the movie was funny, and in spite of a shaky narrative there are some great performances, Allison Pill and a legendary Liev Schreiber, and a movie which accurately portrays a sport that I love.
Lets say that Goldberg and Baruchel had taken a few too many slap shots to the head (and that I've never seen Slap Shot), but the rest of the cast had their game faces on. I loved the movie, but can't help grieve for a few tweaks to the narrative drive that would have made it more awesome.

Post #: 9
Don't waste ur money! - 3/2/2012 11:56:42 PM   
lolita37

Only reason for the 2 stars is because of the two stars William Scott and Schriebers performances, although I couldn't figure out if William Scott had put weight on for the film or was given the role cuz he'd piled on the twinkles? The script was atrocious, I ain't no fair maiden but even I was astonished at the amount of unnecessary swearing in this film! The hockey sequences were un believable and over exaggerated, the characters lacked charisma, especially Pill as the unlovable love interest, but mostly the self indulgent Baruchel who was astonishingly awful not only in the film but as one half of the writing team! Let's hope he never puts pen to paper ever again!!

Post #: 10
- 13/3/2012 12:36:43 PM   
muchobenny

I was entertained. Yeah, Baruchel's character was irritating but he hardly featured. Certainly no worse than a 3 star movie.

Post #: 11
RE: - 6/6/2012 2:23:31 PM   
UTB

This fucking film would have fucking been so fucking much fucking better had every fucking other fucking word not fucking been the fucking word 'fuck'.

Who still laughs at swearing, seriously? Ok, the odd well-timed use might raise a laugh if used in the right place, but on this occasion it just showed a) what a lack of thought went into the dialogue and b) what a huge mistake for the word 'comedy' the writers made. Almost ironic that the writer is also the worst written and ill-thought out character in the film.

2 stars is about right.

(in reply to muchobenny)
Post #: 12
RE: RE: - 7/6/2012 9:59:59 AM   
paulyboy

Big fan of all things Ice Hockey and especially films like Slap Shot, so it was no suprise to find that I really, really liked Goon. It's probably one of the most foul mouthed, nasty, vulgar, filthy and voilent films I've seen in a while and miraculously, also one of the sweetest. Thoroughly recommended.

3.5/5

"Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory lasts forever!"

(in reply to UTB)
Post #: 13
Really? 2 stars? - 15/7/2013 2:36:21 PM   
TheHazman

This was a great little film. It was funny, the actual fight sequences were brutal and gritty and it had some real heart! Plus it's Sean William Scotts best performance to date!

Post #: 14
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Goon Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI