Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Heroes - NBC's New 'Big' Show

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> Heroes - NBC's New 'Big' Show Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Heroes - NBC's New 'Big' Show - 3/3/2006 5:14:43 PM   
Timon

Already plugged as the next Lost, Heroes is about everyday folks blessed with superpowers.

Here's more about the show from some American TV critic who seems to be REALLY excited about it as he's read the script for the pilot.

I believe a new Lost-like phenomenon is about to be born. And here's why:

• THE CAST ROCKS: In addition to one of my FFPOTP Greg Grunberg, the ensemble boasts Gilmore guy Milo Ventimiglia and teenage wunderkind Hayden Panettiere. The show's behind-the-scenes pedigree is equally as impressive. Dave Semel, whose credits include directing the American Dreams pilot, has just signed on to helm the Heroes pilot. And while I may not deem Crossing Jordan FauxVo-worthy, I'm suddenly a big fan of its (and Heroes') creator, Tim Kring.

• I'M ALREADY OBSESSED WITH THE CHARACTERS: Just as Lost isn't really a show about a haunted island, Heroes isn't a show about crusaders, caped or otherwise. It's about people albeit ones with extraordinary quirks. "I kind of want to stay away from the superhero aspect," says Kring. "It's about very ordinary people all over the world who literally discover that they have special powers, and it's their dealing with that." The superheroes, er, ordinary people include a 30-year-old male nurse who believes he can fly and, unlike R. Kelly, really can; a 28-year-old junkie who has the ability to paint images of the future; a 33-year-old Las Vegas showgirl who can do incredible things with mirrors; a 24-year-old Japanese comic-book geek who literally makes time stand still; a 31-year-old inmate who can transport himself through walls (eat your heart out, Michael Scofield); and a 17-year-old cheerleader who defies death at every turn (think of Bruce Willis in Unbreakable, only with blonde hair and big pom-poms).

• I CAN RELATE: You didn't hear? I, too, was born with unnatural abilities. All kidding aside (wink, wink), as Kring points out, "It's pretty grounded in reality. Part of what makes it really feel very real is that these people's lives should mirror your own; you should be able to see your ordinary life reflected on screen."   

• IT'S ALL ONE BIG PUZZLE: And you know the deal with puzzles. "It's a big interconnected saga," says Kring. "They're all drawn together towards a destiny of saving the world." And not to OD on the Lost parallels, but Kring adds, "It's extremely serialized."

• IT'S SCARY: What would an extremely serialized show about superheroes, er, ordinary people (I have to stop doing that!) be without a creepy antagonist? Heroes' big baddie is described as a "Max Von Sydow-type" whose trademark accessory is a pair of horned rimmed glasses. And although his intentions aren't made crystal clear in the pilot, one thing is certain: He wants to get his hands on some of that super DNA.

• ONCE AGAIN, IT SENT A SHIVER DOWN MY SPINE: "It" being the final scene. Provided Kring doesn't tinker too much with the script I can't stress enough that I read an early draft the climactic sequence, as inevitable as it may seem, will make you stand up and shout, "It's my new Lost!" And the next words out of your mouth better be: "Ausiello was right!" 

Well i'll give it a look upon it's release but it basically sounds like X-Men: The TV Series.

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Twitter: @timonsingh
Post #: 1
RE: Heroes - NBC's New 'Big' Show - 3/3/2006 6:00:26 PM   
Zaphod121

I think it sounds cool, if it is good I hope it doesn't become a "it was a fantastic show, why cancell it after 10 episodes" kinda thing

"Everyone wins. Except Abed. But, you know, not everyone can win"

My Brothers Web-Series

My YouTube Channel

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 2
RE: Heroes - NBC's New 'Big' Show - 3/3/2006 6:39:02 PM   
TobiasFunke

Sounds quite offbeat, I'll probs give it a watch

Bill Maher: Herbert Hoover was a shitty President but even he didn't concede an entire metropolis to rising water and snakes!

(in reply to Zaphod121)
Post #: 3
RE: Heroes - NBC's New 'Big' Show - 3/3/2006 8:57:02 PM   
Jon1

Woah that sounds pretty sweet! When is on TV?

(in reply to TobiasFunke)
Post #: 4
RE: Heroes - NBC's New 'Big' Show - 3/3/2006 9:47:48 PM   
Barefoot Doctor

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jon1

Woah that sounds pretty sweet! When is on TV?

A pilot will be filmed first, and if the network like it then it's most likely to debut on American TV in September. If it's decent, then a UK broadcaster will pick it up, so I would say early 2007 over here.

(in reply to Jon1)
Post #: 5
RE: Heroes - NBC's New 'Big' Show - 3/3/2006 10:21:10 PM   
The Mighty

I think it sounds very cool! What I liked the most...

"And you know the deal with puzzles. "It's a big interconnected saga," says Kring. "They're all drawn together towards a destiny of saving the world." And not to OD on the Lost parallels, but Kring adds, "It's extremely serialized." "

Lost is one of the most exciting shows at the moment, and its clones have been very dissapointing. I watched the first few episodes of Invasion, but nothing happened. It was very dull. This sounds very different then Lost, but serialized television really appeals to me!

(in reply to Barefoot Doctor)
Post #: 6
RE: Heroes - NBC's New 'Big' Show - 3/3/2006 11:30:24 PM   
jenzie

"and a 17-year-old cheerleader who defies death at every turn (think of Bruce Willis in Unbreakable, only with blonde hair and big pom-poms)."

that about does it for me

ALIENS: yes, i still have the damn hat on ..... WANNA TAKE IT OFF ME????
HUMANS: well, yes .....
ALIENS: ACTIVATE THE STUPID HUMAN RAY!!!!!

http://www.intervocative.com/dvdcollection.aspx/jenzie

(in reply to The Mighty)
Post #: 7
RE: Heroes - NBC's New 'Big' Show - 4/3/2006 8:48:10 PM   
furrybastard

Sounds pretty cool.

(in reply to jenzie)
Post #: 8
RE: Heroes - NBC's New 'Big' Show - 4/3/2006 9:34:27 PM   
elab49

Mmm - ordinary people with new extraoordinary powers which will probably turn into power of the week? Isn't that called The 4400?

And if it doesn't - it is a more unified thing - lets hope it doesn't do a direct steal from JMStraczynski's comic book.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to furrybastard)
Post #: 9
RE: Heroes - NBC's New 'Big' Show - 6/3/2006 10:52:06 AM   
Ripper

there must be a thing going about for naming our show after a David Bowie song. I mean there was life on mars, theres erm, heroes, I'll just sit over here.

I think we can all agree, history is in the past

- George Dubya Bush

Some say he only knows two things about ducks .... and both of them are wrong

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 10
RE: Heroes - NBC's New 'Big' Show - 9/3/2006 4:12:56 PM   
vernieboy

I like the sound of it but the x-men parrallels are there to see and lets just hope it doesn't end up looking like mutant x which was truely awful

"Nothing's worse than having an itch you can never scratch."

(in reply to Ripper)
Post #: 11
RE: Heroes - NBC's New 'Big' Show - 9/3/2006 4:36:39 PM   
Joedini

quote:

(think of Bruce Willis in Unbreakable, only with blonde hair and big pom-poms)."

I now have the higly amusing image of Bruce Willis with long blonde hair and poms poms in my head!

Actually that's quite disturbing

(in reply to vernieboy)
Post #: 12
RE: Heroes - NBC's New 'Big' Show - 9/3/2006 4:40:16 PM   
Monkeyshaver

Unbreakable the tv show? Could be good if it steers clear of the meandering plot threads that have turned Lost into one of the most boring shows on telly.

Monkeyshaver is currently watching Doctor Who on the office TV.

(in reply to Joedini)
Post #: 13
RE: Heroes - NBC's New 'Big' Show - 11/5/2006 10:33:11 PM   
Barefoot Doctor

It got picked up today! So we'll definitely be seeing the show soon. Probably September, unless they hold it off till midseason.

(in reply to Monkeyshaver)
Post #: 14
RE: Heroes - NBC's New 'Big' Show - 12/5/2006 12:16:10 AM   
HIM

So has the pilot been aired then? Is it available anywhere? 

Post #: 15
RE: Heroes - NBC's New 'Big' Show - 12/5/2006 1:34:07 AM   
Caster

I think you're counting your chickens a bit early, and us Brits probably won't get to see it for another year, but I'm intrigued.

(in reply to HIM)
Post #: 16
RE: Heroes - NBC's New 'Big' Show - 12/5/2006 8:38:10 AM   
Barefoot Doctor

quote:

ORIGINAL: HIM

So has the pilot been aired then? Is it available anywhere? 

Nah, the pilot won't air until the show debuts sometime in Autumn. Although, it may actually leak before hand...

(in reply to HIM)
Post #: 17
RE: Heroes - NBC's New 'Big' Show - 12/5/2006 8:53:39 AM   
elab49

Or even "leaked" if they want to generate buzz - like the 'accidental' leak of the Lost pilot.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Post #: 18
RE: Heroes - NBC's New 'Big' Show - 12/5/2006 5:21:56 PM   
The Mighty

I watched Lost at the start of the summer before it aired in America, and had to wait ages for the next one! It was made even wrose when they decided to split the Pilot into two parts, making me wait two extra weeks! This show sound good, I'll download it!

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 19
RE: Heroes - NBC's New 'Big' Show - 19/5/2006 7:26:57 AM   
Timon

The epic drama Heroes chronicles the lives of ordinary people who discover they possess extraordinary abilities. As a total eclipse casts it shadow across the globe, viewers follow a genetics professor (Sendhil Ramamurthy, "Blind Guy Driving") in India whose father's disappearance leads him to uncover a secret theory -- there are people with super powers living among us. A young dreamer (Milo Ventimiglia, "The Bedford Diaries") tries to convince his politician brother (Adrian Pasdar, "Judging Amy") that he can fly. A high school cheerleader (Hayden Panettiere, "Ice Princess") learns that she is totally indestructible. A Las Vegas stripper (Ali Larter, "Final Destination"), struggling to make ends meet to support her young son (Noah Gray-Cabey, "My Wife & Kids"), uncovers that her mirror image has a secret. A prison inmate (Leonard Roberts, "Buffy the Vampire Slayer") mysteriously finds himself waking up outside of his cell. A gifted artist (Santiago Cabrera, "Empire"), whose drug addiction is destroying his life and the relationship with his girlfriend (Tawny Cypress, "Third Watch"), can paint the future. A down-on-his-luck beat cop (Greg Grunberg, "Alias") can hear people's thoughts, including the secrets of a captured terrorist. In Japan, a young man (Masi Oka, "Scrubs") develops a way to stop time through sheer will power. Their ultimate destiny is nothing less than saving the world.

Heroes is executive produced by creator/writer Tim Kring ("Crossing Jordan), Dennis Hammer ("Crossing Jordan") and David Semel ("House"), who also directed the pilot. The drama is from NBC Universal
Television Studio.

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

(in reply to The Mighty)
Post #: 20
RE: Heroes - NBC's New 'Big' Show - 19/5/2006 9:31:42 AM   
sharkboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

Mmm - ordinary people with new extraoordinary powers which will probably turn into power of the week? Isn't that called The 4400?

That was the first thing I thought when I heard about this show - apart from the abducted/returned element it sounds just like the 4400.  Ordinary people who suddenly develop super powers and are unaware of the hidden purpose to save the world?  Seen it already.

WWLD?

Every time we think we have measured our capacity to meet a challenge, we look up and we're reminded that that capacity may well be limitless

I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 21
RE: Heroes - NBC's New 'Big' Show - 11/9/2006 7:09:21 PM   
Timon

Well the pilot is available online at various places so i might find it, watch it and give my thoughts later but it does sound very X-Men and could end up being like Mutant X heaven forbid.

< Message edited by Timon -- 11/9/2006 7:17:53 PM >

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 22
RE: Heroes - NBC's New 'Big' Show - 11/9/2006 7:58:03 PM   
Sundance

I think I'll give it a watch. I think Greg Grunberg is great in everything, and it sounds pretty good. All I have to do is work out a way I can watch Hayden Panettiere without exploding with irritation...

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 23
RE: Heroes - NBC's New 'Big' Show - 11/9/2006 8:02:47 PM   
sharkboy

I watched the pilot a couple of months ago and, as I said in the other thread, don't believe the hype.  Sad cliches, poor writing and acting, even the "Bruce Willis with pompoms" character wasn't enough to save this.  The only potentially redeeming feature was the nice twist at the end, but even that wasn't entirely unexpected.

WWLD?

Every time we think we have measured our capacity to meet a challenge, we look up and we're reminded that that capacity may well be limitless

I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit.

(in reply to Sundance)
Post #: 24
RE: Heroes - NBC's New 'Big' Show - 11/9/2006 8:37:08 PM   
elab49

Ditto Sharkboy. Even more of a disappointment than you might think.

quote:

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 25
RE: Heroes - NBC's New 'Big' Show - 11/9/2006 10:10:28 PM   
hongkongphooey

Are none of you who watched the pilot giving the show a go? I thought the pilot was ok, and I'm hoping the season gets better - going to give it a few weeks to see if it improves. 

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 26
RE: Heroes - NBC's New 'Big' Show - 11/9/2006 10:24:55 PM   
Art Vandelay

Yeah, i'm giving it a go. It wasn't the most impressive Pilot this Season, but it certainly has potential. And we only saw the 1st half of the Pilot, with two new characters still to be introduced. So i'm far from giving up on it yet.

Jamdodge1: The Burial - An epic and tragic tale of Lies, Betrayal, Redemption & jam on a 12 year old's head...

"Fuck! The cunts found us. Get the fucking rifle."

(in reply to hongkongphooey)
Post #: 27
RE: Heroes - NBC's New 'Big' Show - 11/9/2006 10:38:24 PM   
Henry JW

Sounds interesting, I'll give it a go.

(in reply to Art Vandelay)
Post #: 28
RE: Heroes - NBC's New 'Big' Show - 11/9/2006 11:20:07 PM   
The Mighty

I liked it. I'll be watching.

(in reply to Henry JW)
Post #: 29
RE: Heroes - US Speed - 25/9/2006 2:55:13 PM   
Captain Black

First of all, I think this should probably be regarded as NBC's 'other' big new show, along with Studio 60. 

Is this going to be the US speed thread BTW?

First episode broadcast tonight in the States, which I think is a different cut to the one that some of us have already seen (that I'll refer to as the 54 minute version henceforth), can anyone (and by anyone, if I'm honest, I'm mean Barefoot Doc ) clarify how they're showing it; is it effectively a two ep pilot and if so, how are they being broadcast?

Despite its flaws, I really liked the version I saw, possibly because I think the concept and potential override the actual execution - at worst I'm hoping it will be something of a guilty pleasure as the series progresses.

Invisiotext:
[color=#F1F1F1]text[/color]

(in reply to The Mighty)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> Heroes - NBC's New 'Big' Show Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI