Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Netflix UK

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> DVD Discussion >> RE: Netflix UK Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Netflix UK - 22/4/2012 9:03:36 AM   
chrisrus

I've been trying a free trial for Lovefilm. Much prefer Netflix.
The first film I tried on lovefilm kept pausing and after 20 mins I was only 5 mins in. So put a film on Netflix, played without any problems.

(in reply to Super Hans)
Post #: 61
RE: Netflix UK - 22/4/2012 9:39:12 AM   
elab49

Although I've found if you leave it a bit Lovefilm plays fine, Netflix's connection seems to be better (or just fewer people using it!). But there's no question Lovefilm has the better choice - and 1000s more films I think, not even 100s. Netflix only seems ahead if you missed a couple of recent TV shows while they were on, but they also fill out their catelogue with the likes of Teen Mom and tons of individual discs of hosts of SNL. Netflix docs selection wasn't bad but, at one point, about the only new film that had first was Oranges and Sunshine. They've had pretty much none since. 

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to chrisrus)
Post #: 62
RE: Netflix UK - 22/4/2012 11:39:07 PM   
MI Cruise

My netflix free trial ran out today and I doubt I will be renewing it except maybe to watch the remaining 6 seasons of Its always sunny in philadelphia and thats only because its not available anywhere else in the UK.
Films wise however there were wasnt anything that Lovefilm doesnt have.

www.letterboxd.com/micruise1/films/

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 63
RE: Netflix UK - 23/4/2012 10:33:26 PM   
chrisrus

I'm finding more films for me on Netflix than lovefilm

(in reply to MI Cruise)
Post #: 64
RE: Netflix UK - 27/4/2012 12:33:41 PM   
elab49

But most seem to be on both - well most Netflix as Lovefilm seem to have not just 100s but 1000s more (which Netflix carefully gets around by not 'listing' the numbre of films that I can see ). The real difference seems to be the TV shows and Netflix making up for the lack of a decent film choice by adding current shows like Breaking Away (and Teen Mom ).

Livefilm Instant shows over 8000 items available, over 7000 free with the package (which will include TV epis - it's nearly 4500 feature films). At about 40 films a page, I think Netflix would be lucky to make the 1000? Probably a lot under that or maybe a nudge over if you add Bollywood, which I've had removed from my listing.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not completely against it - the US version is apparently wide-ranging and superb. But it's been several months now and there have been very few developments on Netflix and very few additions.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

(in reply to chrisrus)
Post #: 65
RE: Netflix UK - 27/4/2012 12:47:09 PM   
Whistler

I agree with you in that Netflix has a smaller library than LoveFilm, and it's very slow to update its listings, but as I've already said, the streaming quality is just so much better. I'd rather have fewer films that I can actually watch smoothly than a massive library of films that have to buffer every ten minutes.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 66
RE: Netflix UK - 27/4/2012 12:51:22 PM   
elab49

It is a smoother watch, absolutely - although I think I've possibly not had as many problems as you in viewing a film on Lovefilm from start to finish.

Actually the thing I like best about Netflix is you get the option of that midway screen - the all of nothing thing on Lovefilm can be annoying.

(ALso, it was a response to a comment on content being different )

< Message edited by elab49 -- 27/4/2012 12:52:11 PM >

quote:

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 67
RE: Netflix UK - 28/4/2012 11:09:37 PM   
chrisrus

Apparently though Lovefilm count each episode of a programme as one listing, but Netflix counts each season as one.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 68
RE: Netflix UK - 2/5/2012 5:52:33 PM   
Spectre

Yes they do, which is slightly misleading.

I have only been subscribed to netflix since Sunday, but the online service seems to be better than lovefilm so far. It's well priced too.

Lovefilm is worth keeping because of the wider variety of films that can be sent through the post.

(in reply to chrisrus)
Post #: 69
RE: Netflix UK - 14/5/2012 4:28:18 PM   
steffols

Anyone have any idea how to contact Lovefilm directly? My other half was watching Superman and Batman Public Enemies about three weeks ago when he wanted to rewind and the whole thing crashed. Since then that particular listening hasn't worked. Not on the PS3 or the computer.

It's midnight in Manhattan, this is no time to get cute, it's a mad dog's promenade,
So walk tall, or baby don't walk at all.

(in reply to Spectre)
Post #: 70
RE: Netflix UK - 14/5/2012 10:04:54 PM   
elab49

quote:

ORIGINAL: chrisrus

Apparently though Lovefilm count each episode of a programme as one listing, but Netflix counts each season as one.

Yes, but I was specifically using as a reference the number for features - if you go in the sidebar you can narrow down what you're looking at and remove TV entirely so there isn't a miscount. If you check above you'll note that I draw out the numbers showing for each.

http://www.lovefilm.com/help/dyn_faqs.html?faq_cat=&editorial_id=3084
There's a contact us bit at the bottom of the page - is this any help?

quote:

(in reply to chrisrus)
Post #: 71
RE: Netflix UK - 14/5/2012 10:08:38 PM   
Whistler

quote:

ORIGINAL: steffols

Anyone have any idea how to contact Lovefilm directly? My other half was watching Superman and Batman Public Enemies about three weeks ago when he wanted to rewind and the whole thing crashed. Since then that particular listening hasn't worked. Not on the PS3 or the computer.

I've heard good things about it. Any good?

(in reply to steffols)
Post #: 72
RE: Netflix UK - 15/5/2012 9:47:39 AM   
steffols

Thanks Elab, I managed to find someone to contact. They were rather speedy albeit with standard 'restart everything' advice. The second email was a matter of 'we don't know what's wrong but we know it's not our fault' which was a bit annoying. They must have done something though, cause it started working!

Whistler, I'll let you know when I finally get to watch it!

It's midnight in Manhattan, this is no time to get cute, it's a mad dog's promenade,

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 73
RE: Netflix UK - 16/5/2012 8:21:40 AM   
chrisrus

quote:

ORIGINAL: steffols

When I was on free trial with lovefilm the same thing happened to me when I was watching a film. Rewind it a bit and it crashed. Couldn't continue you it on PS3 or iPad. It worked on computer though

(in reply to steffols)
Post #: 74
RE: Netflix UK - 27/6/2012 5:33:41 PM   
paul_ie86

Netflix tweeted THIS earlier on but when I clicked THIS link when I got home it said "This title is unavailable". Is anyone else getting that message?

< Message edited by paul_ie86 -- 27/6/2012 5:34:01 PM >

My Group Project's facebook page. Please like

(in reply to chrisrus)
Post #: 75
RE: Netflix UK - 27/6/2012 10:02:10 PM   
steffols

Works fine for me.

(in reply to paul_ie86)
Post #: 76
RE: Netflix UK - 27/6/2012 11:30:35 PM   
paul_ie86

I think it might be an Irish thing.

My Group Project's facebook page. Please like

(in reply to steffols)
Post #: 77
RE: Netflix UK - 28/6/2012 9:47:20 AM   
The Hooded Man

Netflix is apparently being squeezed out of the market here due to a deal between News Corp and Lovefilm, which gives them rights to the second screening of 20th Century Fox films and shows and Netflix is lobbying from the angle that it's unfair.
http://www.fool.co.uk/news/investing/company-comment/2012/06/28/netflix-may-want-to-rethink-its-british-invasion.aspx

Counting the minutes until the over zealous mods lock this thread too.

(in reply to paul_ie86)
Post #: 78
RE: Netflix UK - 3/7/2012 8:16:52 AM   
chrisrus

Some great new additions lately

(in reply to The Hooded Man)
Post #: 79
RE: Netflix UK - 4/7/2012 12:03:04 PM   
The Hooded Man

quote:

ORIGINAL: chrisrus

Some great new additions lately

I was wondering about that because I subscribed about six weeks ago and there doesn't seem to be any new content at all which is worrying. The new releases section seems to be mostly obscure straight to dvd fodder.

(in reply to chrisrus)
Post #: 80
RE: Netflix UK - 4/7/2012 12:07:07 PM   
elab49

The recently added line is greatly extended - that's been as moribund as the 'new releases' (that normally aren't) but perhaps they've managed to add a couple of back catalogues to start getting some depth.

New releases are virtually non existent unless it's a couple of new epis of Teen Mom

quote:

Post #: 81
RE: Netflix UK - 4/7/2012 2:32:42 PM   
Harry Tuttle

I keep checking out the Netflix catalogue but it's still slim pickings at the moment. I wouldn't even want to waste my free months trial with the current selection.

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Blood Island. So called because it's the exact shape of some blood

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 82
RE: Netflix UK - 9/7/2012 4:20:50 PM   
st3veebee

Slim pickings and some of the quality of the films is shocking. Literally couldn't sit through The Brothers Grimm last night because it looked like a pirated copy from the seventies.

Latest Films:

Two days in New York: 4/5

Prometheus: 3.5/5

Abe Lincoln: VH 3/5

Twin Peaks: FWWM 3.5/5

(in reply to Harry Tuttle)
Post #: 83
RE: Netflix UK - 9/7/2012 9:04:26 PM   
Cool Breeze

Im enjoying Netflix a lot.Im currently watching tv shows Andromeda and Heroes.When im finished with those il be checking out Damages and The Sons of Anarchy.

Watched some good recent films on it too like Drive and Conan The Barbarian remake.

'' Iv played Oskar Schindler, Michael Collins, Rob Roy Mcgregor, even ZEUS for gods sake! No one is going to believe me to be a green grocer! ''

(in reply to st3veebee)
Post #: 84
RE: Netflix UK - 22/8/2012 2:50:07 PM   
The Hooded Man

How often do Netflix update in the UK? I've heard people say the choices are awful compared to the US. Has there been any word as to that changing?

(in reply to Cool Breeze)
Post #: 85
RE: Netflix UK - 22/8/2012 2:54:27 PM   
AxlReznor

I'm sticking with Lovefilm for the forseeable future. If I do change services, it'll most likely be Now TV, if they give you the ability to stream through Sony BluRay players.

Post #: 86
RE: Netflix UK - 22/8/2012 3:00:53 PM   
Harry Tuttle

quote:

ORIGINAL: AxlReznor

I'm sticking with Lovefilm for the forseeable future. If I do change services, it'll most likely be Now TV, if they give you the ability to stream through Sony BluRay players.

Same here, it's also handy that I can stream Lovefilm through my Bluray player.

Still, I doubt I'd go for Netflix even if my BR player did support it, last I checked the number of titles was still laughable compared to Lovefilm and quite a few people have told me that the picture quality looks naff through Netflix as well.

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Blood Island. So called because it's the exact shape of some blood

(in reply to AxlReznor)
Post #: 87
RE: Netflix UK - 22/8/2012 3:08:28 PM   
elab49

I think the old stuff and the TV stuff is expanding quite a lot now. Their new stuff is still very slow and weak although they seem to be better with docs than features generally - I've noticed that before and now eg they've got Being Elmo up really quick too. 

quote:

(in reply to Harry Tuttle)
Post #: 88
RE: Netflix UK - 24/8/2012 12:58:01 PM   
MI Cruise

Im using Netflix but I access the US content more as they have a better selection of shows, the UK version is way behind in comparison.

www.letterboxd.com/micruise1/films/

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 89
RE: Netflix UK - 26/8/2012 1:06:24 PM   
Cool Breeze

Netflix UK is worth it for the tv shows alone.Currently im enjoying Andomeda, Heroes, and X-Men animated.I am looking forward to checking out Sons Of Anarchy and Damages pretty soon too.

As for films, i recently watched and enjoyed Drive, Warrior, and Buried.

For 7 euro a month, i think its well worth it.

'' Iv played Oskar Schindler, Michael Collins, Rob Roy Mcgregor, even ZEUS for gods sake! No one is going to believe me to be a green grocer! ''

(in reply to MI Cruise)
Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> DVD Discussion >> RE: Netflix UK Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI