Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Netflix UK

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> DVD Discussion >> RE: Netflix UK Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Netflix UK - 16/1/2012 7:25:39 PM   
Fluke Skywalker

I'm looking at this page :

https://signup.netflix.com/BrowseSelection

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 31
RE: Netflix UK - 16/1/2012 7:59:50 PM   
Spaldron

quote:

ORIGINAL: Fluke Skywalker

OMG their selection is pretty substandard I have to say.

And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts
And I looked and behold, a pale horse
And his name that sat on him was Death
And Hell followed with him.

(in reply to Fluke Skywalker)
Post #: 32
RE: Netflix UK - 19/1/2012 8:23:52 PM   
bub

Just signed up for the free month and it looks awful. Theres bugger all selection and nothing that's actually new. Why do they think they can actually palm off such a piss poor choice to us and think people will pay money for it? If they had all the new releases online the same day they are in the shops I would happily drop £20 a month on the service but with the selection they have now I wouldn't pay anything for.

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 33
RE: Netflix UK - 25/1/2012 11:33:21 AM   
Chief

quote:

ORIGINAL: Fluke Skywalker

Yeah I thought about trying it until I looked at that page.

I had many happy months with Lovefilm. I even paid for it once.

(in reply to Fluke Skywalker)
Post #: 34
RE: Netflix UK - 25/1/2012 12:32:37 PM   
shool

You see this is the route to beat piracy.

I would happily pay £10 a month minimum to have access to TV shows from when they air in the states and Movies from when they get released.
This would massively cut the all the DVDRip and BDRips you see out there.

I really hope they step this up to a solution that has content that you can obtain through more unethical means.

Invisio Text for Spoilers
[ color=#F1F1F1 ] Spoiler text [ /color ] , remove spaces between square brackets

"No one knows what it means, but it's provocative... It gets the people going!"

(in reply to Chief)
Post #: 35
RE: Netflix UK - 25/1/2012 2:15:34 PM   
Spaldron

quote:

ORIGINAL: shool

I would happily pay £10 a month minimum to have access to TV shows from when they air in the states and Movies from when they get released.

I really hope they step this up to a solution that has content that you can obtain through more unethical means.

Problem is most of the content on Netfilx (over here at least) seems to be either DTV stuff no one wants to watch or films and tv shows that have been out for months/years. Its unlikely you're going to get brand new content for streaming anytime soon.

(in reply to shool)
Post #: 36
RE: Netflix UK - 25/1/2012 2:20:53 PM   
paul_ie86

Yeah, I think it's because of Sky's agreement with the major studios for exclusive first showing in the UK and Ireland.

My Group Project's facebook page. Please like

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 37
RE: Netflix UK - 25/1/2012 2:22:13 PM   
shool

quote:

ORIGINAL: Spaldron

quote:

Problem is most of the content on Netfilx (over here at least) seems to be either DTV stuff no one wants to watch or films and tv shows that have been out for months/years. Its unlikely you're going to get brand new content for streaming anytime soon.

Exactly if they overcome this it could be the first major step to actually preventing piracy.

At the moment it is far easier to torrent the stuff than through other more legal means. If they can get a service that competes with the up to date content through file sharing then that would be a massive step. I guess its hard to commercially get all the agreements in place, but until something like this is available then they will never get a handle on illegal downloading.

Its not about cost its about access of material.

< Message edited by shool -- 25/1/2012 2:23:52 PM >

Invisio Text for Spoilers
[ color=#F1F1F1 ] Spoiler text [ /color ] , remove spaces between square brackets

"No one knows what it means, but it's provocative... It gets the people going!"

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 38
RE: Netflix UK - 25/1/2012 2:22:37 PM   
elab49

quote:

Ditto. You do get some oddities here and there and the DL/rental sites - eg I've just discovered a film I couldn't make at a Festival next month, that technically went into cinemas a week ago (but I can't find it anywhere) and won't be out till April is actually available for rental on Itunes now. Which is brilliant, and my first Itunes rental.

If Netflix could sort out territorial issues they might do brilliantly. And they do have a ton of deals for upfront streaming with a number of content providers on the US site, including one with the Korean producer Showcase.

And you'd have to think it's make money given many who watch it, particularly bigger films, won't go to the cinema anyway because the experience is so often ruined by other people when it comes to bigger films.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to shool)
Post #: 39
RE: Netflix UK - 30/1/2012 1:37:53 PM   
Macphist0

Sky Atlantic isn't THAT far behind is it? And they always have them on their players after air......you'll not be getting TV from America for a £10 fee when even people in America don't get them for that cheap(well the good stuff anyway)

Sky Atlantic will eventually have most of its shows showing only a few days like Mad Men/GoT etc and I'm more than happy to wait a few days to get proper 720/1080I HDTV instead of the shoddy 720p mkvrips you tend to get online which aren't much better than the normal avi 350mb rips.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 40
RE: Netflix UK - 23/2/2012 4:36:45 PM   
Shifty Bench

I started the free trial just to watch Warehouse 13 legally.

Get me.

Extended Edition Podcast- Episode 46:Threads Of Destiny (Star Wars Fan Film)

(in reply to Macphist0)
Post #: 41
RE: Netflix UK - 23/2/2012 4:45:53 PM   
Hobbitonlass

This has just reminded me to cancel my free trial (that ran out next Tuesday). I have watched a total of nil films. The ones I wanted to watch weren't on there......

Come join in the Photo competition http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3116407&mpage=1&key=

(in reply to Shifty Bench)
Post #: 42
RE: Netflix UK - 23/2/2012 5:07:04 PM   
Shifty Bench

Yeah, the selection is shite but I only saw the first 3 episodes of Warehouse 13 when it first aired on SyFy and I got rid of my Sky. If it wasn't for that show, I wouldn't have joined.

The choice of films is pretty bad.

(in reply to Hobbitonlass)
Post #: 43
RE: Netflix UK - 23/2/2012 5:22:33 PM   
Mojo

For those of you watching Netflix on the PS3 or Xbox 360, there is a way of accessing the US selection. You're still paying for the service so I don't THINK its piracy just a cheap trick. There's so much good shit on there its definitely worth £5.99 a month for the amount of TV alone.

Let's shove a stick up that wolf's ass.

Post #: 44
RE: Netflix UK - 23/2/2012 5:35:47 PM   
Spaldron

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mojo

For those of you watching Netflix on the PS3 or Xbox 360, there is a way of accessing the US selection. You're still paying for the service so I don't THINK its piracy just a cheap trick. There's so much good shit on there its definitely worth £5.99 a month for the amount of TV alone.

Yeah I've heard about this being done, tbh I know people have been able to access the US Netflix on their PC's for a few years now, you just need some, ahem...."special software".

(in reply to Mojo)
Post #: 45
RE: Netflix UK - 23/2/2012 5:36:47 PM   
Mojo

There's so much choice in the US version that I spent more time looking for a film/tv show to watch than actually watching them.

Let's shove a stick up that wolf's ass.

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 46
RE: Netflix UK - 25/2/2012 4:13:30 PM   
Base

I want to sign up for the free trial but I can't see any way to do it except through giving them my facebook details so they can spam all my friends with what I'm watching?! Also seems to be that you can only stop this happening on a program by program basis!?!? WTF, is this correct?!?!?

I am making a mental list of those who are snickering, and even as I speak I'm preparing appropriate retribution...!

(in reply to Mojo)
Post #: 47
RE: Netflix UK - 25/2/2012 4:35:32 PM   
elab49

Log out of Facebook then go back to the login page (you may need to ditch a cookie) - you;ll find a non-Facebook sign up then under the big blue sign up with Facebook banner (sign up with an e-mail).

Even without Facebook you'll still see FB references though - top 10 on FB as if anyone cares. 

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

(in reply to Base)
Post #: 48
RE: Netflix UK - 25/2/2012 5:09:51 PM   
Shifty Bench

quote:

ORIGINAL: Base

I want to sign up for the free trial but I can't see any way to do it except through giving them my facebook details so they can spam all my friends with what I'm watching?! Also seems to be that you can only stop this happening on a program by program basis!?!? WTF, is this correct?!?!?

If you are watching something it gives you the option of not sharing to facebook while the show/film is playing. Yes, it is on a program by program basis but only because you watch a series on a program by program basis (as in, you have to select the next episode yourself rather than them paying automatically one after the other). This means it treats every video as a movie, it doesn't seem to know the difference between a movie and an episode of a tv show. I don't see the problem with it personally,it's not a hassle pressing the 'don't share' button during every video you watch 

(in reply to Base)
Post #: 49
RE: Netflix UK - 25/2/2012 5:10:54 PM   
Base

Thanks. I don't care what they show me, I just don't want everything I look at plastered all over my FB page

I am making a mental list of those who are snickering, and even as I speak I'm preparing appropriate retribution...!

Post #: 50
RE: Netflix UK - 25/2/2012 9:01:41 PM   
Shifty Bench

That's fair enough, but it won't be if you click the thing I said. It doesn't show if you just look, by the way, nothing I've watched or looked at has shown on my Facebook

< Message edited by Shifty Bench -- 25/2/2012 9:02:53 PM >

(in reply to Base)
Post #: 51
RE: Netflix UK - 26/2/2012 9:02:28 AM   
Base

Thanks, I signed up through my PS3 so no FB anyway

Shame that after all that there is bugger all I want to watch on there anyway

Post #: 52
RE: Netflix UK - 14/4/2012 9:59:56 PM   
RHicks86

I've only used LoveFilm and find that the selection is only getting better and better.
What makes it even better these days is the selection of TV shows that are now available...

I love watching random films... low budget, small time films are sometimes true gems.
My housemate recommended one on lovefilm called Rampage... He was right... You should see it if you like being curious about what is coming next.

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 53
RE: Netflix UK - 15/4/2012 5:52:21 PM   
steffols

Signed up for Netflix a month ago. I haven't used Lovefilm for years due to the fact the no late fees thing makes me incredibly lazy in posting them back and I just wasn't using the service.

For a newbie in the online streaming thing, I have been incredibly pleased with Netflix. There is an awful lot on there which I have been meaning to see for a while and having cut back on our DVD purchases, haven't been able to. There is also a wealth of super-hero cartoons from the nineties which suits my super-hero obsessed boyfriend. I've never been a fan of watching films etc on the laptop so it's great that it streams straight through our PS3. We've only had a few issues with the streaming when our connection dips but more or less I have no problems with streaming and it works perfectly.

I am sort of getting bored with the selection on offer so I'm hoping they begin frequently updating soon. I have heard bad things about Lovefilms streaming service so I have been hesitant in trying it. For me, it is well worth the £5.99 a month for the wealth of TV shows they have on Netflix. The Office seasons 1-5 is a personal highlight having never been able to get them on DVD and the show pretty much been forgotten by UK TV.

It's midnight in Manhattan, this is no time to get cute, it's a mad dog's promenade,
So walk tall, or baby don't walk at all.

(in reply to RHicks86)
Post #: 54
RE: Netflix UK - 19/4/2012 9:57:01 PM   
Whistler

quote:

ORIGINAL: StuXIIV

I'm currently using both Netflix and Lovefilm Instant. Neither has a huge array of films, but both have some absolute gems.
To be honest, I wasn't intending on continuing with Netflix after my free trial ended, since I signed up to Lovefilm instant with the Xbox Live deal, but Breaking Bad and Arrested Development alone made me sign up again.

In the end Netflix won for me because the streaming is better. With LoveFilm I couldn't get through a film without at least a few pauses for buffering, and then the inevitable "We're sorry but this title can't be played" message. Haven't had a single blip with Netflix.
Post #: 55
RE: Netflix UK - 19/4/2012 10:47:06 PM   
elab49

I've been checking Netflix but they are still really poor at adding new titles - apart from a few epis of Breaking Bad it's stuff like Teen Mom or some other reality show, and the line of 'new' shoes has been filled with pretty much the same titles for more than a couple of months now. 

quote:

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 56
RE: Netflix UK - 20/4/2012 12:55:03 PM   
Castor Troy

Any one having trouble connecting through their 360 with the American DNS settings? It was working fine and now it says it can't connect after about a minute of trying. But when I change the DNS settings back to automatic - it works.

The individual human mind. In a child's ability to master the multiplication table, there is more holiness than all your shouted hosannas and holy holies. An idea is more important than a monument and the advancement of Man's knowledge more miraculous than all the sticks turned to snakes and the parting of the waters.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 57
RE: Netflix UK - 20/4/2012 1:14:28 PM   
Your Funny Uncle

quote:

Microsoft is letting Xbox 360 owners access entertainment apps such as Netflix for free from tomorrow until April 23rd.

No Xbox Live Gold membership will be required during this time either – anyone with a 360 will be able to access all of the online service’s features.

As part of the ‘Entertainment Unlocked’ promotion, users will also be able to access movie, TV and video applications such as 4oD, Last.FM, LoveFilm, Sky, YouTube and Netflix. The latter movie streaming service usually requires its own separate subscription of £5.99 per month.

Consumers can also use the Xbox 360 Kinect motion accessory to search for and control certain apps.

A statement from Microsoft read: “Along with BBC iPlayer, Zune Movies and Zune Music, which are all available on Microsoft’s Xbox Live free platform, you can unlock a comprehensive world of live and on-demand television, movies, sports and music controlled using your voice and gestures, thanks to the power of Kinect, the Windows Phone companion app or via a standard Xbox 360 controller.”

The full list of 14 unlocked entertainment apps from April 19th to April 23rd is as follows:

- 4oD
- Blink Box
- Crackle
- Daily Motion
- Demand 5
- Last.FM
- LoveFilm
- MSN Video
- Muzu.TV
- Netflix
- Screenrush
- Sky
- Vevo
- YouTube

Empires Top 100 Movie Characters of All Time! - VOTE NOW by clicking HERE

(in reply to Castor Troy)
Post #: 58
RE: Netflix UK - 20/4/2012 1:51:23 PM   
Whistler

quote:

ORIGINAL: Castor Troy

Any one having trouble connecting through their 360 with the American DNS settings? It was working fine and now it says it can't connect after about a minute of trying. But when I change the DNS settings back to automatic - it works.

I think they change the settings every so often to block us from the American version It happened to me as well, and it's happened on the PS3. By resetting your DNS settings it just reverts back to the British version. I'm guessing there will probably be some updated settings we can use, but I haven't tried again.

(in reply to Castor Troy)
Post #: 59
RE: Netflix UK - 21/4/2012 6:06:42 PM   
Super Hans

Is Netflix not all it's cracked up to be then? I've been on Lovefilm unlimited 2 discs at home + streaming for a while now but increasingly feel like I'm not getting the value for money. My fault not their's I must add - my wife watches a lot on TV, isn't that in to films and therefore don't get through the discs quick enough to really get the most out of it. Was considering dropping to an online only package, maybe with Netflix but I think the lack of new releases puts me off going down that route.

Thinking I'll probably stick with Lovefilm but maybe drop to one disc at a time and make more use of the streaming. Been browsing just now and there's tons of classic stuff I've never seen that I can watch with my package. Also many more recent, lower key gems I think. I've only watched two films so far online but I think they were OK - a little buffering once or twice but I can live with that if it's minor!

"Its staring at you in the face Mark, there's only one more sex to try..."

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> DVD Discussion >> RE: Netflix UK Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI