Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Netflix UK

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> DVD Discussion >> Netflix UK Page: [1] 2 3 4   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Netflix UK - 11/1/2012 7:39:37 PM   
Spaldron

So Netflix have started a streaming service here in the UK, does anyone think it will take off? When I was on Lovefilm their streaming service was terrible, really poor quality. Has anyone here used Netflix and what's the picture quality like?

And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts
And I looked and behold, a pale horse
And his name that sat on him was Death
And Hell followed with him.
Post #: 1
RE: Netflix UK - 11/1/2012 7:54:25 PM   
Whistler

I've just started using it today and so far it seems great. Huge library (including TV, which is awesome), smooth streaming and clear pictures. It's early days of course, but it looks promising. I'm on LoveFilm too, and while I do like it, I totally know what you mean about the streaming service.

Eddy's Film Review
Latest: Need For Speed, Under The Skin, 300: Rise Of An Empire

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 2
RE: Netflix UK - 11/1/2012 8:00:16 PM   
elab49

I'd go the opposite - the choice is unremarkable and very limited with nothing new to the market.

I've signed up for Lovefilm since they've gone for the free trial in competition and their selection is far superior. No idea of quality on either though - Netflix because I couldn't find anything I actually wanted to watch, Lovefilm because I haven't had a chance yet.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 3
RE: Netflix UK - 11/1/2012 8:46:58 PM   
Whistler

Well I'd agree that LoveFilm does have a larger choice of films, and I'll probably still use that more for watching them, but I still think Netflix has a fairly substantial one. And, like I said, I love how it has TV shows as well (Arrested Development 1-3 is a highlight). The streaming definitely does seem better on Netflix though, much smoother. The problem I have with LoveFilm is I can't seem to get all the way through a film without it jumping or pausing or glitching in some way.

Eddy's Film Review
Latest: Need For Speed, Under The Skin, 300: Rise Of An Empire

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 4
RE: Netflix UK - 11/1/2012 9:04:49 PM   
directorscut

Picture quality is surprising good for streaming. Obviously not Blu-ray quality but much better than I expected. The biggest problem is blacks.

I tried Hero for a minute... 1.78:1 when it should be 2.35:1

I tried Ghost in the Shell Complex. English Dub, doesn't seem to be anyway to get Japanese audio.

Selection is limited but there are a quite a few that I might want to watch within the next (FREE) month.

< Message edited by directorscut -- 11/1/2012 9:05:39 PM >

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 5
RE: Netflix UK - 11/1/2012 9:04:51 PM   
elab49

This may just be me but it looks like Netflix are throwing a lot of content in there on a daily basis so they may be aware that's a key criticism. I'd checked through a lot of sub-genres and I'm pretty sure there is stuff on there that wasn't before.

Having had a look at one from each, the Lovefilm picture is generally clearer with no stuttering but there is an annoying pixelation that occasionally occurs. Netflix is almost at the point of slightly stuttery (you know that slowness that isn't quite a problem but it's just not right?) and there are some focus issues, even though the screen is about 2/3 of Lovefilms.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 6
RE: Netflix UK - 11/1/2012 9:05:57 PM   
elab49

quote:

ORIGINAL: directorscut

Picture quality is surprising good for streaming. Obviously not Blu-ray quality but much better than I expected.

I tried Hero for a minute... 1.78:1 when it should be 2.35:1

I tried Ghost in the Shell Complex. English Dub, doesn't seem to be anyway to get Japanese audio.

Selection is limited but there are a quite a few that I might want to watch within the next (FREE) month.

Lovefilm seem to offer dub/subtitle for a lot of titles but the only ones I noticed dub only on Netflix were ones where the DVD seems to not have a subtitle - Disappearance of Haruhi Sumizya is one of those I think.

quote:

(in reply to directorscut)
Post #: 7
RE: Netflix UK - 11/1/2012 9:35:50 PM   
paul_ie86

quote:

The biggest problem is blacks.

Racist

My Group Project's facebook page. Please like

Post #: 8
RE: Netflix UK - 11/1/2012 10:33:37 PM   
jcthefirst

A facebook friend informed me that with some jiggery pokery you can access the US version, giving you more TV choice. 

@Jonny_C85

My Movie Blog | My Other Various Rantings Blog

(in reply to paul_ie86)
Post #: 9
RE: Netflix UK - 11/1/2012 10:34:20 PM   
elab49

Doesn't that mean paying out for a decent VPN service? 

quote:

(in reply to jcthefirst)
Post #: 10
RE: Netflix UK - 11/1/2012 10:39:59 PM   
jcthefirst

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

Doesn't that mean paying out for a decent VPN service? 

I don't know what that means.

@Jonny_C85

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 11
RE: Netflix UK - 11/1/2012 10:43:02 PM   
elab49

It's a pity we don't have a useful tapping the side of the nose smiley, isn't it? 

quote:

(in reply to jcthefirst)
Post #: 12
RE: Netflix UK - 11/1/2012 10:48:42 PM   
jcthefirst

No, I really don't know what that means.

@Jonny_C85

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 13
RE: Netflix UK - 11/1/2012 11:17:22 PM   
talpacino

It's not bad. Not much in the way of great new releases but there's some decent older stuff there.

So far I've just been watching a bit of Breaking Bad on the Xbox and the picture quality was quite good, at least DVD standard.
I'm not sure I'll keep up the sub after the trial though unless their library improves.

Currahee!

It's a different film. It's a very different film! It's a different shark!

Suppose I shot ya..How'd that be?

(in reply to jcthefirst)
Post #: 14
RE: Netflix UK - 12/1/2012 1:53:14 PM   
Spaldron

quote:

ORIGINAL: talpacino

It's not bad. Not much in the way of great new releases but there's some decent older stuff there.

So far I've just been watching a bit of Breaking Bad on the Xbox and the picture quality was quite good, at least DVD standard.
I'm not sure I'll keep up the sub after the trial though unless their library improves.

If its at least DVD quality then its a f**k load better than Lovefilms ultra pixelated, Game Boy screen quality images. I may just try out the free trial just to see what its like.

Interestingly and presumably in response to Netflix, I noticed Lovefilm are running a big ad campaign in the papers today, offering 3 months unlimited for £5.99.

(in reply to talpacino)
Post #: 15
RE: Netflix UK - 12/1/2012 2:03:07 PM   
Harry Tuttle

quote:

ORIGINAL: Spaldron

quote:

ORIGINAL: talpacino

If its at least DVD quality then its a f**k load better than Lovefilms ultra pixelated, Game Boy screen quality images. I may just try out the free trial just to see what its like

Interestingly and presumably in response to Netflix, I noticed Lovefilm are running a big ad campaign in the papers today, offering 3 months unlimited for £5.99.

I was streaming Tucker and Dale vs Evil from Lovefilm the other day and the quality was perfect DVD quality, same for Black Dynamite a couple of days earlier.

I streamed Biggie and Tupac off it around November and that was shit though. They've either sorted the service out or it varies from film to film. I suspect it's the former because I remember receiving an email off them round about the start of December stating that they were changing their streaming service from Flash to Silverlight.

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Blood Island. So called because it's the exact shape of some blood

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 16
RE: Netflix UK - 12/1/2012 2:10:10 PM   
elab49

Silverlight is what Netflix use too - there's a DL as you go through the registration process.

quote:

(in reply to Harry Tuttle)
Post #: 17
RE: Netflix UK - 12/1/2012 2:42:54 PM   
Spaldron

Well I haven't used Lovefilm for just under a year so I guess they've improved their stream, possibly in anticipation of Netflix. When I last used it, it was terrible. In terms of film rental, streaming is the way forward so the war between the two will depend on library and quality. Getting DVD/BD's through the post is on its way out, I mean why wait 2-3 days for the unreliable Royal Mail to drop a disc through your door when you can just click and get it right away? That's why I quit Lovefilm, it got to the point when I was sometimes waiting a week or more for a film to arrive. And the fact that its not up to you which film they send you.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 18
RE: Netflix UK - 12/1/2012 2:49:50 PM   
Harry Tuttle

quote:

Well I haven't used Lovefilm for just under a year so I guess they've improved their stream, possibly in anticipation of Netflix. When I last used it, it was terrible. In terms of film rental, streaming is the way forward so the war between the two will depend on library and quality. Getting DVD/BD's through the post is on its way out, I mean why wait 2-3 days for the unreliable Royal Mail to drop a disc through your door when you can just click and get it right away? That's why I quit Lovefilm, it got to the point when I was sometimes waiting a week or more for a film to arrive. And the fact that its not up to you which film they send you.

I have no complaints with Lovefilm's deliveries. If I sent a film back today It's pretty much guaranteed I'd have a replacement on Saturday. For the last 2 years I've experienced a 2 day turn over off them without exception. As for what film you get I tend to put everything on Low Priority apart from the 2 or 3 I want the most, which I put on High Priority, and more often than not I get what I want.

Having said that though I am using the streaming service a lot more now but that's mainly because I have the account that allows game rentals as well. If I have 2 games at home (like I currently do) then it can be a good few weeks before I send them back. That's when streaming comes in handy to me.

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Blood Island. So called because it's the exact shape of some blood

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 19
RE: Netflix UK - 12/1/2012 3:23:40 PM   
matty_b

Yeah, I'm with Harry - I'm generally very happy with LoveFilm. The turnarounds between sending a film back and getting a new one tends to be very speedy, and as I always keep between 4-6 films on high priority, I always get what I want - and if I'm waiting too long, there's always the streaming (which is generally pretty good, the occasional pause for buffering, but not the Game Boy quality Spalds had).

I had an issue last month where about half my list jumped onto short/long wait, I queried it, and it was sorted with a free rental within a couple of days.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

(in reply to Harry Tuttle)
Post #: 20
RE: Netflix UK - 12/1/2012 3:26:47 PM   
elab49

I'm unlikely to stick to streaming past the free trials either - Tesco turnaround is fine (and I normally get my priority titles first at the moment). Blockbuster has slowed again, although you'd think they'd pick their game up with new entries to the market. The Top Ticket thing allows a degree of specific choice too.

quote:

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 21
RE: Netflix UK - 12/1/2012 9:07:04 PM   
Third Eye

I've been pretty happy with the LoveFilm service since I switched from Tesco. The turnaround time for post DVD's is pretty quick and the streaming selection has gotten a lot better in the run up to Christmas and since the service started on Xbox. But a free trial is not to be ignored. The film selection on Netflix at the moment isn't fantastic but the TV selection is pretty good (Breaking Bad, Arrested Development and a ton of Top Gear). I'll stick with Netflix through the month and see if the film selection improves before cancelling.

The pitch-black night unfolds with the morning star as its only light.

And thus, the saga begins.....

Twitter: oli2033

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 22
RE: Netflix UK - 12/1/2012 10:24:40 PM   
directorscut

Went to watch Dune, it started pretty well, looked pretty good then after the opening credits it went from 2.35:1 to 1.78:1.

Then I tried Phenomena wanting to see it if it was any better than the garbage Blu-ray, but no, it's pan/scan and looks like VHS.

Got to say I'm being disappointed a lot with this free service.

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.

(in reply to Third Eye)
Post #: 23
RE: Netflix UK - 13/1/2012 10:56:01 AM   
Spaldron

quote:

Went to watch Dune, it started pretty well, looked pretty good then after the opening credits it went from 2.35:1 to 1.78:1.

Then I tried Phenomena wanting to see it if it was any better than the garbage Blu-ray, but no, it's pan/scan and looks like VHS.

I have to say if they're cropping their films like fucking terrestrial television then I'm flat out not signing up. I have a real issue with false aspect ratio.

Post #: 24
RE: Netflix UK - 15/1/2012 5:55:17 PM   
nutteronabus

quote:

quote:

I have to say if they're cropping their films like fucking terrestrial television then I'm flat out not signing up. I have a real issue with false aspect ratio.

To be honest, that'll probably be more down to the masters they receive from the distributor, rather than Netflix themselves.

I do honestly reckon that this is the future model for distribution. Give it 6 months to iron out the kinks and allow everyone to get their TVs made 'internet ready,' and we're on our way. Plus their library will inevitably expand substantially over the coming months.

“You think you’re so cultured because you’ve gone to see Cats? You pampered upper-class drug-taking bitch!”

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 25
RE: Netflix UK - 15/1/2012 6:40:11 PM   
Spaldron

quote:

ORIGINAL: nutteronabus

To be honest, that'll probably be more down to the masters they receive from the distributor, rather than Netflix themselves.

I do honestly reckon that this is the future model for distribution. Give it 6 months to iron out the kinks and allow everyone to get their TVs made 'internet ready,' and we're on our way. Plus their library will inevitably expand substantially over the coming months.

Agree with this. Like I said upthread and on other sub-forums (and been burned for it btw) I honestly believe the future of film rentals and probably purchases is purely non-physical formats. And with internet speeds increasing every year it wont be long before we'll be offered blu-ray quality streaming.

On another note I saw an ad today for Lovefilm offering a streaming only service for £4.99 a month, which is a quid cheaper than Netflix. Looks like the streaming war is on!

(in reply to nutteronabus)
Post #: 26
RE: Netflix UK - 15/1/2012 7:03:37 PM   
MonsterCat

I'm with Harry and Matthew on the Lovefilm... love.

Despite the lack of new Universal titles, it's an excellent service. Also - they didn't seem to care when I returned a disc and it got lost in the post.

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 27
RE: Netflix UK - 16/1/2012 11:31:45 AM   
elab49

quote:

ORIGINAL: Third Eye

I've been pretty happy with the LoveFilm service since I switched from Tesco. The turnaround time for post DVD's is pretty quick and the streaming selection has gotten a lot better in the run up to Christmas and since the service started on Xbox. But a free trial is not to be ignored. The film selection on Netflix at the moment isn't fantastic but the TV selection is pretty good (Breaking Bad, Arrested Development and a ton of Top Gear). I'll stick with Netflix through the month and see if the film selection improves before cancelling.

Isn't Tesco Lovefilm anymore?

quote:

(in reply to Third Eye)
Post #: 28
RE: Netflix UK - 16/1/2012 7:04:29 PM   
Fluke Skywalker

There doesn't seem to be a search box on the Netflix site which is bloody weird - also their selection seems massively limited as far as I can see. If they had The Wire I'd sign up on the spot.

I wouldn't drop Lovefilm though  - I'd like to stay loyal to them because their customer services have been fantastic to me.

< Message edited by Fluke Skywalker -- 16/1/2012 7:05:17 PM >

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 29
RE: Netflix UK - 16/1/2012 7:16:12 PM   
rawlinson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Fluke Skywalker

There doesn't seem to be a search box on the Netflix site which is bloody weird

You know the grey toolbar that has the genres/suggestions for you section? The search box is on the right hand side of that toolbar.

(in reply to Fluke Skywalker)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> DVD Discussion >> Netflix UK Page: [1] 2 3 4   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI