Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

And with the support of scrrenwriter Julian Fellows....

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> And with the support of scrrenwriter Julian Fellows.... Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
And with the support of scrrenwriter Julian Fellows.... - 11/1/2012 7:30:22 PM   
Knight of Fury

.......who backed up Dave to the hilt (might help that as Tory member of the House of Lords, Dave is more or less his boss). Loach is spot on about being able to pick a winner in advance. And if Fellows is so good at that, why was he writing speeches for Ian Duncan Smith no so very long ago?

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 31
And with the support of scrrenwriter Julian Fellows.... - 11/1/2012 7:30:32 PM   
Knight of Fury

.......who backed up Dave to the hilt (might help that as Tory member of the House of Lords, Dave is more or less his boss). Loach is spot on about being able to pick a winner in advance. And if Fellows is so good at that, why was he writing speeches for Ian Duncan Smith no so very long ago?

Post #: 32
- 11/1/2012 7:32:27 PM   
Oli G

It's not like Cameron's saying all British films HAVE to be crap from now on. I can understand why he would want our film industry to put more money into the economy, I can understand why anyone would want that. British films are traditionally of a high quality, so surely if more mainstream British films were made there would be a good chance of the majority of them being of a high standard anyway. That's how the British film industry already works, favouring quality over a quick buck. Sure, he was wrong to abolish the film council but whinging about it won't bring it back.

Post #: 33
- 11/1/2012 7:33:02 PM   
Oli G

It's not like Cameron's saying all British films HAVE to be crap from now on. I can understand why he would want our film industry to put more money into the economy, I can understand why anyone would want that. British films are traditionally of a high quality, so surely if more mainstream British films were made there would be a good chance of the majority of them being of a high standard anyway. That's how the British film industry already works, favouring quality over a quick buck. Sure, he was wrong to abolish the film council but whinging about it won't bring it back.

Post #: 34
RE: - 11/1/2012 7:34:46 PM   
Oli G

(in reply to Oli G)
Post #: 35
Makes me want to stab somebody in the neck - 11/1/2012 11:57:17 PM   
FoxDhoj

I'm fed up of this man saying things he knows next to nothing about! It's kind of pathetic to say things like 'aim higher' to filmmakers, who with their skill, can make a bigger impression on somebody than a politician can. The worst thing is applying the same Tory tar to the film industry, putting money into 'mainstream' films - and praising a film like The Kings Speech, which was funded by the UK FILM COUNCIL which was cut thanks to him too. I don't even know what he means by 'mainstream films' - is that 'successful' or 'Hollywood'? Does he mean economically successful, or does he mean critically? I'm thinking he means the former. I'd like to see the funding going to filmmakers with potential - this year critics applauding newcomers like Considine, Ayoade, Wheatley and Cornish, myself not being too impressed by a couple of them, but they show promise. I don't want all the money to go to Tom Hooper, however, because he doesn't really deserve it all - with a larger budget might probably come a larger fall. Spread the wealth you Tory gits. Ken Loach was right, we need DIVERSITY not 'big flashy films'. I'll be turning in my grave the day we have a British Michael Bay.

Post #: 36
Makes me want to stab somebody in the neck - 11/1/2012 11:57:42 PM   
FoxDhoj

I'm fed up of this man saying things he knows next to nothing about! It's kind of pathetic to say things like 'aim higher' to filmmakers, who with their skill, can make a bigger impression on somebody than a politician can. The worst thing is applying the same Tory tar to the film industry, putting money into 'mainstream' films - and praising a film like The Kings Speech, which was funded by the UK FILM COUNCIL which was cut thanks to him too. I don't even know what he means by 'mainstream films' - is that 'successful' or 'Hollywood'? Does he mean economically successful, or does he mean critically? I'm thinking he means the former. I'd like to see the funding going to filmmakers with potential - this year critics applauding newcomers like Considine, Ayoade, Wheatley and Cornish, myself not being too impressed by a couple of them, but they show promise. I don't want all the money to go to Tom Hooper, however, because he doesn't really deserve it all - with a larger budget might probably come a larger fall. Spread the wealth you Tory gits. Ken Loach was right, we need DIVERSITY not 'big flashy films'. I'll be turning in my grave the day we have a British Michael Bay.

Post #: 37
Makes me want to stab somebody in the neck - 11/1/2012 11:58:01 PM   
FoxDhoj

Post #: 38
Forget Movie's let's overhaul our Tele first! - 12/1/2012 10:22:26 AM   
thefacehead

The film industry (as far as artistic talent and content) is in perfectly good condition!
Now to change the subject slightly why don't we think about how bad OUR television stations that WE pay for are doing in comparison? Well I'll sum it up in two programmes, no make it three - Eastenders, Holby City & Casualty (you can't have too many hosptital drama's set in Bristol) this is the sewage that "should be aimimg higher" not the brilliant film industry that provides outstanding story lines studios and actors. So if you want to poke your nose in somewhere sort the trash out on TV David and if you can cheer up Albert Square or nuke the entire site from orbit (it's the only way to be sure) then be our guest, but leave the film industry alone.

Post #: 39
RE: PM Demands More Mainstream Filmmaking - 12/1/2012 1:34:23 PM   
Discodez

I had a couple of thoughts on this and well, firstly I thought "I wonder how many Tory MP's children are setting up film production companies as we speak", be a nice way of diverting more public money into the bank accounts of his mates.

Secondly, do mainstream films need funding? I'm pretty sure that (what I often find teeth knashingly twee, boring, sentimental if well acted old bollocks) fare like the Kings Speech and The Iron Lady need no funding from the arts council, lottery fund or whatever. And do these people dolling out the money actually know talent when they see it? Christopher Nolan is now a big hitter in Hollywood but I'm pretty certain he did it all himself, funding his own first feature independently.

And when we (the British) do overtly try to make mainstream commerically viable fare using the latest "acting talent" we end up with "Lesbian Vampire Hunters" or the risible "London Boulevard".

< Message edited by Discodez -- 12/1/2012 1:36:15 PM >

Post #: 40
Much as I'd like to dunk 'im in acid... - 12/1/2012 1:45:05 PM   
Cyberleader

I agree! I hate arty-farty up themselves films that the UK seems as doomed as france to keep creating. Give me some American style explosions, 'Avengers' size franchises and 'Expendables' style action. Call me shallow- fine- but I'd be prouder of our industry if it was more geered towards 'fun' rather than 'ooh look we're deppresive= deep= genius'. DR Who is a smart, funny yet action packed show for family audiences on BBC tv...why can't we do the same on film? Why are there ALWAYS striking miners in t' bleak north, (I live in the North btw, and it's not bleak) posh students getting high on drugs and zillions of cockney people? Much as I love cockneys and London...WHERE DID THEY ALL COME FROM????? it's no wonder the US thinks us 'Brits' are 50 % posh and 50% cockney!

Post #: 41
Much as I'd like to dunk 'im in acid... - 12/1/2012 1:45:25 PM   
Cyberleader

I agree! I hate arty-farty up themselves films that the UK seems as doomed as france to keep creating. Give me some American style explosions, 'Avengers' size franchises and 'Expendables' style action. Call me shallow- fine- but I'd be prouder of our industry if it was more geered towards 'fun' rather than 'ooh look we're deppresive= deep= genius'. DR Who is a smart, funny yet action packed show for family audiences on BBC tv...why can't we do the same on film? Why are there ALWAYS striking miners in t' bleak north, (I live in the North btw, and it's not bleak) posh students getting high on drugs and zillions of cockney people? Much as I love cockneys and London...WHERE DID THEY ALL COME FROM????? it's no wonder the US thinks us 'Brits' are 50 % posh and 50% cockney!

Post #: 42
Much as I'd like to dunk 'im in acid... - 12/1/2012 1:45:44 PM   
Cyberleader

Post #: 43
RE: PM Demands More Mainstream Filmmaking - 12/1/2012 1:48:01 PM   
Spaldron

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cyberleader

You're shallow. And so wrong its not even funny.

And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts
And I looked and behold, a pale horse
And his name that sat on him was Death
And Hell followed with him.

(in reply to Cyberleader)
Post #: 44
RE: Much as I'd like to dunk 'im in acid... - 12/1/2012 2:03:34 PM   
Emyr Thy King

quote:

Careful, you'll attract the ire of Deviation with the facepalming "what's arty-farty?"

I think we ought to be happy ('proud' is too strong) that we have a film industry that seeks to provoke, challenge and confound us. Rather than turn into a clone of Hollywood. I don't see why it has to be a either/or scenario. If we could create a successful commerical film industry here without compromising our current artistic output then I'd support what he says. The one good thing from having a strong commerical film sector is that revenue from such films could be used to fund more independent and innovative film-making that we have here. But it means more Ironclad type films for those not of that persuasion. I quite liked Solomon Kane though!

< Message edited by Emyr Thy King -- 12/1/2012 6:17:15 PM >

"This whole imbroglio is epiphenomenal"...."demigogic faux egalitarianism" - Will Self

Post #: 45
RE: Much as I'd like to dunk 'im in acid... - 12/1/2012 2:03:51 PM   
Emyr Thy King

Double post. Please delete.

< Message edited by Emyr Thy King -- 12/1/2012 2:04:31 PM >

"This whole imbroglio is epiphenomenal"...."demigogic faux egalitarianism" - Will Self

Post #: 46
RE: Much as I'd like to dunk 'im in acid... - 12/1/2012 4:27:55 PM   
attakdog

quote:

1000% agree!

Post #: 47
Much as I'd like to dunk 'im in acid... - 12/1/2012 6:06:16 PM   
Cyberleader

Post #: 48
RE: PM Demands More Mainstream Filmmaking - 12/1/2012 6:10:39 PM   
Cyberleader

Meh. I like your profile pic though. The Prisoner is ace. THERE'S a good Brit production!

By the way I'm not wrong. I'm not a number I'm a free man...and welcome to my own opinion. As you are to yours.

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 49
RE: PM Demands More Mainstream Filmmaking - 12/1/2012 6:13:52 PM   
Cyberleader

Meh. I like your profile picture. 'The Prisoner' is amazing. A true British stroke of genius and EXACTLY what I'm trying to say we should make...stuff that's cerebral AND full of action and thrills. Not snooty, depressive so-called 'art'.
I'm not 'wrong': I'm not a number I'm a free man and so I'm entitled to my view. As, I'm sure, you are to yours.

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 50
RE: Tory Twat - 12/1/2012 6:19:45 PM   
Cyberleader

Uh, sorry for the zillions of replies Spaldron. Website said it couldn't send my messages...so I tried again. Result? Well...the mess thou doth see before you I'm afraid. Oops.

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 51
RE: Sorry, but he has a point - 12/1/2012 6:21:11 PM   
Cyberleader

I'd LOVE a Dr Who movie!

(in reply to twiddle)
Post #: 52
RE: Sorry, but he has a point - 12/1/2012 6:52:10 PM   
Tech_Noir

I'm all for a wide of variety of films being made and equally promoted/distributed.

BUT these films should always be films that people want to see.

In my opinion British films have kinda pigeon-holed themselves, they are either films about the upper middle class (rom-coms, period dramas, royalty/politics) or the lower class (gangsters, kitchen sink). There are of course exceptions but if you can count them on your hand they're not the rule.

Post #: 53
- 12/1/2012 7:02:14 PM   
Cyberleader

How do you delete posts????????!!!!

Post #: 54
- 12/1/2012 7:31:30 PM   
Musicals

Look let us get one thing right once and for all: this guy is not the elected prime minister. No one achieved this honour at the last general election and the guy who currently lives at no 10 Downing St. does so at the whim of one Nick Glegg. However,the moment Glegg -or more likely his party- finally have enough of todying up to the Tories just for the novelty of enjoying some power -then of course Cameron's number is up! Right now though he -and his cabinet have a mandate to do nothing at all except meet and discuss the rather weird winter we are having. For the rest "The Prime Minister" (as he should be described) should be told to shut up about movies and everything else for that matter until he actually has a working majority!

Post #: 55
TWAT! - 12/1/2012 10:05:38 PM   
dannyfletch

What a complete and utter twat! And as for people on here agreeing, what the f**k are you people thinking? The best british films are the independant ones, FACT! Trainspotting was independant as was Shallow Grave, Another Year, Kes, Withnail and I, The Long Good Friday, the excellent Kill List and the list goes on. Most of the best British films that have been made are independant ones! We don't want to be another boring Holloywood!

Post #: 56
RE: Sorry, but he has a point - 13/1/2012 12:42:57 AM   
Deviation

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tech_Noir

I'm all for a wide of variety of films being made and equally promoted/distributed.

BUT these films should always be films that people want to see.

In my opinion British films have kinda pigeon-holed themselves, they are either films about the upper middle class (rom-coms, period dramas, royalty/politics) or the lower class (gangsters, kitchen sink). There are of course exceptions but if you can count them on your hand they're not the rule.

But the exceptions have been doing good money no worse than in other countries, there is a great example on who would have wanted to see a film about middle class people going on with their lives (18 million WW BO making more than half its budget) and a comedy about suicide bombers (4 million doing much more than it needed to make its budget and doing well on dvd). A period film last year made 414 million WW. Moon did good business in the BO and a great hit with dvd and even something as maligned as Monsters did well at the BO.

They are doing well and Cameron's comment is pointless. It also that it is easy to know what people want to see and outside the States, very few can do that and sometimes even the States fail at doing that. Not everyone is James Cameron and Micheal Bay (thank fuck).

quote:

But it means more Ironclad type films for those not of that persuasion.

Which disappeared quite fast at the BO alongside with Centurion, and you'd think people would love a bloody period epic, and this coming from someone who though Centurion was fun. 

< Message edited by Deviation -- 13/1/2012 12:54:49 AM >

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to Tech_Noir)
Post #: 57
RE: Sorry, but he has a point - 13/1/2012 11:36:23 AM   
spark1

from the 30s/80s UK film had sound commercial instincts about its domestic output.
even ken russell expected his films to have mainstream appeal.

then it all went to hell in mid 80s- thatcher ditching the eady levy and the city not wanting to invest in film production didn't help.

UK film need to get that instinct back.

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 58
RE: Sorry, but he has a point - 13/1/2012 11:43:44 AM   
Spaldron

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation

Which disappeared quite fast at the BO alongside with Centurion, and you'd think people would love a bloody period epic, and this coming from someone who though Centurion was fun. 

Centurion only flopped in the States, internationally it mode more than half its budget. If they had given it a proper US release it would've made a profit. Those figures don't include the dvd/bd sales.

And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts
And I looked and behold, a pale horse
And his name that sat on him was Death
And Hell followed with him.

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 59
RE: Sorry, but he has a point - 13/1/2012 12:31:26 PM   
Deviation

It only made half of its budget, which means it still remained in red. Don't know about BR/DVD though.

Still point being, Cameron is a moron and so is everyone agreeing with him.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> And with the support of scrrenwriter Julian Fellows.... Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI