Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Dredd (2012)

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Future Films >> RE: Dredd (2012) Page: <<   < prev  46 47 48 [49] 50   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Dredd (2012) - 1/9/2012 10:12:42 AM   
danbo1138

I would rather Dredd stay as a film franchise but I will take TV over no Dredd at all.
Good to see Pete Travis too,I feel he's been short changed so far.Unless he tried it on with Garlands wife I see no reason why he should not be front and center.

And if the film is a success will he be back for the sequel?He's done a great job by all accounts going off the reviews and word of mouth.

Come against me, if you dare! I am the storm! Come if you dare, Shai'tan! I am the Dragon Reborn!

(in reply to sauchieboy)
Post #: 1441
RE: Dredd (2012) - 2/9/2012 2:19:04 PM   
rich

Extra little pieces of the action are looking good, I like that the trailers are fairly light on it so far

(in reply to danbo1138)
Post #: 1442
RE: Dredd (2012) - 5/9/2012 6:34:42 PM   
danbo1138

Not long now...

Come against me, if you dare! I am the storm! Come if you dare, Shai'tan! I am the Dragon Reborn!

(in reply to rich)
Post #: 1443
RE: Dredd (2012) - 5/9/2012 8:07:50 PM   
sauchieboy

Rotten Tomatoes is possibly evidence of the imminence of The Creator's judgement on all mankind, and one of the necessary conditions for the apocalypse, but since I want Dredd to succeed I'm going to take their rating of DNA's film as 100% fresh at face value. That's 19/0 now.

Most of the reviews have been enthusiastic, and even the sniffy ones (I'm looking at you, Empire) have described it as well made and successful on its own terms. The only other film on their list at 100% fresh is Jaws - which is obviously a ridiculous comparison - but that rating can't hurt the film's chances in the run up to this Friday's release.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/dredd_3d/#want_to_see

(in reply to danbo1138)
Post #: 1444
RE: Dredd (2012) - 5/9/2012 8:30:04 PM   
Deviation

There are some other 100% on their site, in terms of action films, you find The Terminator, Aliens, Seven Samurai, Mad Max 2, Rio Bravo and The Taking of Pelham 123.

If that's what you meant that is. Still I'm glad this is getting a feedback, Dredd deserves a good movie.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to sauchieboy)
Post #: 1445
RE: Dredd (2012) - 5/9/2012 8:52:11 PM   
Cool Breeze

Cant wait but i hope il be able to see it in a normal 2D screening.

'' Iv played Oskar Schindler, Michael Collins, Rob Roy Mcgregor, even ZEUS for gods sake! No one is going to believe me to be a green grocer! ''

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 1446
RE: Dredd (2012) - 5/9/2012 8:57:58 PM   
gunstar

I'm going to try and see this on Friday, and I think I'm going to go for 3D. very excited.

'We can take these Deadites! We can take them.....with science."

"We'll get 'em. We'll throw the book at them. Assault and kidnapping. Assault with a gun and a bourbon and a sports car."

"Falcon! Grab my ankles!"

(in reply to Cool Breeze)
Post #: 1447
RE: Dredd (2012) - 5/9/2012 9:06:41 PM   
DaveTheStampede

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze

Good luck with that one. Apparently, the distributor has chosen to limit 2D screenings (https://twitter.com/CineworldEdin). Out of four cinemas in my area, only one appears to be showing it in 2D. Best I can gather, apart from various independent cinemas, nationwide only fourteen Cineworld's and one Odeon are showing 'Dredd' in 2D.

So it seems if you either don't like 3D or physically cannot watch 3D, you could be out of luck

Freedom is the freedom to say that two plus two make four.
If that is granted, all else follows

Post #: 1448
RE: Dredd (2012) - 5/9/2012 9:17:46 PM   
Cool Breeze

quote:

ORIGINAL: DaveTheStampede

quote:

Good luck with that one. Apparently, the distributor has chosen to limit 2D screenings (https://twitter.com/CineworldEdin). Out of four cinemas in my area, only one appears to be showing it in 2D. Best I can gather, apart from various independent cinemas, nationwide only fourteen Cineworld's and one Odeon are showing 'Dredd' in 2D.

So it seems if you either don't like 3D or physically cannot watch 3D, you could be out of luck

Well im in Ireland and they often give a choice between the two even for movies shot in 3D so i hope it will be the same for Dredd.

3D just gives me a headache.

'' Iv played Oskar Schindler, Michael Collins, Rob Roy Mcgregor, even ZEUS for gods sake! No one is going to believe me to be a green grocer! ''

(in reply to DaveTheStampede)
Post #: 1449
RE: Dredd (2012) - 5/9/2012 9:19:03 PM   
DaveTheStampede

quote:

Well im in Ireland and they often give a choice between the two even for movies shot in 3D so i hope it will be the same for Dredd.

3D just gives me a headache.

Here's hoping

Freedom is the freedom to say that two plus two make four.
If that is granted, all else follows

Post #: 1450
RE: Dredd (2012): Chaos and Creation - 6/9/2012 10:36:36 AM   
bobatim

I'm seeing Dredd tomorrow night, I'm really looking forward it. I've always been a big fan of the comics and even have a soft spot for the Stallone flick. This one looks the business and seems to have captured the true spirit of the character. The thing I don't like the look of is the Lawmasters. They look like the kind of futuristic sci-fi bike that you'd find in an 80's Glen A. Larson show, or Logan's Run...

Is he died?

www.penultimateuniverse.blogspot.com

(in reply to sauchieboy)
Post #: 1451
RE: Dredd (2012): Chaos and Creation - 6/9/2012 10:52:32 AM   
Wild about Wilder

Thankfully my local World Of Cine has 1 showing of Dredd in 2D a day otherwise wouldn't be seeing it at all.

(in reply to bobatim)
Post #: 1452
RE: Dredd (2012): Chaos and Creation - 6/9/2012 1:06:49 PM   
gunstar

Paid an extremely rare £8.05 for a 3D ticket at my local. This shit better be good.

'We can take these Deadites! We can take them.....with science."

"We'll get 'em. We'll throw the book at them. Assault and kidnapping. Assault with a gun and a bourbon and a sports car."

"Falcon! Grab my ankles!"

(in reply to Wild about Wilder)
Post #: 1453
RE: Dredd (2012): Chaos and Creation - 6/9/2012 4:50:24 PM   
warren7355

£8.05?!?! Where do you live? I just forked out £22 for two 3D tickets to see Dredd again tomorrow night.

(in reply to gunstar)
Post #: 1454
RE: Dredd (2012): Chaos and Creation - 6/9/2012 8:08:03 PM   
rich

Small Karl Urban interview

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEsH6mF7OTA

(in reply to warren7355)
Post #: 1455
RE: Dredd (2012): Chaos and Creation - 6/9/2012 8:18:30 PM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

I find it slightly odd that the Director of DREDD (Peter Travis) has taken a ,somewhat, backseat in the advertising of this upcoming feature.
We seem to be hearing alot from Garland and Wagner but I want to know some info on the guy who actually directed this film.

(in reply to rich)
Post #: 1456
RE: Dredd (2012): Chaos and Creation - 6/9/2012 8:31:56 PM   
Cool Breeze

Well it looks like there is no 2D screening anywhere near i live so i guess il have to bite the bullet and see the 3D version.I normally would not do this but this is DREDD so im going to make an exception to me no 3D rule.

(in reply to OPEN YOUR EYES)
Post #: 1457
RE: Dredd (2012): Chaos and Creation - 6/9/2012 10:26:52 PM   
Dirk Miggler

Not one 2D showing at my local cineworld either, not happy. The only consolation is that this isn't a post conversion but I would at least like the option.

< Message edited by Dirk Miggler -- 6/9/2012 10:27:48 PM >

Post #: 1458
RE: Dredd (2012): Chaos and Creation - 6/9/2012 10:55:03 PM   
rich

No chance of a screening near me

quote:

ORIGINAL: OPEN YOUR EYES

I find it slightly odd that the Director of DREDD (Peter Travis) has taken a ,somewhat, backseat in the advertising of this upcoming feature

Are you really surprised?

Post #: 1459
RE: Dredd (2012): Chaos and Creation - 6/9/2012 11:18:33 PM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

quote:

ORIGINAL: rich

No chance of a screening near me

quote:

I find it slightly odd that the Director of DREDD (Peter Travis) has taken a ,somewhat, backseat in the advertising of this upcoming feature

Are you really surprised?

Because we never saw/heard the end of Nolan,Whedon and Ridley doing promoting interviews for there blockbuster films,and I regard Dredd,even with its budget in-comparison to the above three directorial films,to be a blockbuster.

Or your either implying something else?

(in reply to rich)
Post #: 1460
RE: Dredd (2012): Chaos and Creation - 6/9/2012 11:52:23 PM   
rich

Well there was implied bad blood between him and the others involved in making it. Like a rumour that he was fired from the project or quit or something. I think it has all since been denied, but his absence in all but one small clip in these teaser videos comes as no great shock.

< Message edited by rich -- 6/9/2012 11:54:04 PM >

Post #: 1461
RE: Dredd (2012): Chaos and Creation - 7/9/2012 12:26:23 AM   
sauchieboy

The controversy over Travis's role in the film's post-production just seems like something to talk about, and a good way of giving interviewers a 'tricky' question to lob at garland and Urban in interviews. All I'm really interested in is the finished product. Three new American TV spots; something old and something new, but definitely more punchy and action-led than the early promos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZvfAYdn4DA

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=94483

Also, reviews just keep flooding in. It's 23-0 on Rotten Tomatoes, and the UK press have been fairly uniform. Tabloids have been great (even the stuffy Express), but the proper papers like it too:

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/2/046d5296-f76b-11e1-8c9d-00144feabdc0.html#ax zz25i8aihem

http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2012/sep/06/dredd-review

The FT reviewer is really taken with Oscar-winning cinematographer Anthony Dodd Mantle's use of 3D:

"It’s also sometimes very beautiful, with unusually expressive and meaningful 3D. When Headey uses the drug in a bath, flinging the water with her hand towards you in a rain that seems to come down forever, you want to pluck each droplet from the space that the 3D has landed it in before you and examine it calmly in your hands – like Keanu Reeves with the stopped-in-their-tracks bullets in The Matrix. Not only are the effects what effects rarely are – effective and affecting – but the drug becomes the effects, and the effects become the plot. This is a first."

(in reply to rich)
Post #: 1462
RE: Dredd (2012): Chaos and Creation - 7/9/2012 6:31:50 AM   
danbo1138

Six hours to go

< Message edited by danbo1138 -- 7/9/2012 6:37:17 AM >

(in reply to sauchieboy)
Post #: 1463
RE: Dredd (2012): Chaos and Creation - 7/9/2012 4:50:00 PM   
danbo1138

Three stars my ass

Thats the most BADASS comic book film I have ever seen...ever

(in reply to danbo1138)
Post #: 1464
RE: Dredd (2012): Chaos and Creation - 7/9/2012 6:45:19 PM   
furrybastard

quote:

Because we never saw/heard the end of Nolan,Whedon and Ridley doing promoting interviews for there blockbuster films,and I regard Dredd,even with its budget in-comparison to the above three directorial films,to be a blockbuster.

They're not even remotely comparable.

With the majority of films these days, particularly action genre and Hollywood fare, the producer is king. They dictate the direction of the film more than anyone else. The media and online community likes to apply the auteur theory to every film out there and directors are generally happy enough to go along with it because it gives power to their 'brand' but it's rarely seen in practice. People like Chris Nolan, Ridley Scott etc. all have producing credits on their films and oftentimes their production companies are involved. With Whedon, he wrote and directed the film (was he a producer on it too? I'm too lazy to check) That gives them real power to decide how the film works.

Films like Total Recall, Dredd, Rise of the Planet of the Apes, the Twilight films... the directors are hired hands for the most part. Success or fail, they still get the blame of course, regardless of how inaccurate or unfair that may be. That's not to say they don't play a vital part in the process but they're not full-blown auteurs; it's a collaborative medium.

It is unusual, admittedly. But Garland spearheaded this film from day one and has been its biggest champion throughout the process so I don't think it's surprising that he's taken on the promotional role in this instance.

Post #: 1465
RE: Dredd (2012): Chaos and Creation - 7/9/2012 7:55:07 PM   
Nexus Wookie

This film is getting some really good or should I say excellent reviews everywhere, mainly from British reviewers mind. It'll be interesting to read more reviews from stateside. Will they 'get it'? I hope so.....this Dredd sound's world's apart from Stallone's adapation. (i watched it again last night, and I have to say the visual effects/ production design is amazing, a shame the story and acting couldn't hold up).

Really looking forward to this film!

My blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

(in reply to furrybastard)
Post #: 1466
RE: Dredd (2012): Chaos and Creation - 7/9/2012 9:16:18 PM   
furrybastard

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nexus Wookie

This film is getting some really good or should I say excellent reviews everywhere, mainly from British reviewers mind. It'll be interesting to read more reviews from stateside. Will they 'get it'? I hope so.....this Dredd sound's world's apart from Stallone's adapation. (i watched it again last night, and I have to say the visual effects/ production design is amazing, a shame the story and acting couldn't hold up).

There's been a host of early reviews from the States, almost universal agreement as to the film being really very good! It doesn't get released for another two weeks in North America so there'll be more online then. Apparently last night's midnight screening here in Toronto was packed out and the couple of festival reviews I've read so far have been stellar!

(in reply to Nexus Wookie)
Post #: 1467
RE: Dredd (2012): Chaos and Creation - 7/9/2012 9:42:14 PM   
sauchieboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: rich

Well there was implied bad blood between him and the others involved in making it. Like a rumour that he was fired from the project or quit or something. I think it has all since been denied, but his absence in all but one small clip in these teaser videos comes as no great shock.

Travis has been busy for most of this year filming another movie. Here's Travis, onstage with Garland, promoting the film at the festival in Toronto mentioned above:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_IHIfDtg04

(in reply to rich)
Post #: 1468
RE: Dredd (2012): Chaos and Creation - 7/9/2012 9:47:19 PM   
Nexus Wookie

quote:

ORIGINAL: furrybastard

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nexus Wookie

There's been a host of early reviews from the States, almost universal agreement as to the film being really very good! It doesn't get released for another two weeks in North America so there'll be more online then. Apparently last night's midnight screening here in Toronto was packed out and the couple of festival reviews I've read so far have been stellar!

Wow! That bodes very well indeed! I sincerely hope that this film smashes everything down like the freakin' Lawgiver!

My blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

(in reply to furrybastard)
Post #: 1469
RE: Dredd (2012): Chaos and Creation - 8/9/2012 1:09:37 AM   
Rgirvan44

This film is AWESOME.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to Nexus Wookie)
Post #: 1470
Page:   <<   < prev  46 47 48 [49] 50   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Future Films >> RE: Dredd (2012) Page: <<   < prev  46 47 48 [49] 50   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI