Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Dredd

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Future Films >> Dredd Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Dredd - 10/1/2012 5:27:19 PM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
RE: Promos?? - 10/1/2012 6:53:09 PM   
danbo1138

Why start another thread?

Come against me, if you dare! I am the storm! Come if you dare, Shai'tan! I am the Dragon Reborn!
Post #: 2
RE: Promos?? - 10/1/2012 7:16:14 PM   
Spaldron

Again with the double threads.

Lock please.

And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts
And I looked and behold, a pale horse
And his name that sat on him was Death
And Hell followed with him.

(in reply to danbo1138)
Post #: 3
Dredd - 10/1/2012 11:25:21 PM   
rich

Well since this is the site thread, can someone lock the one other seeing as it's fucking awful

< Message edited by rich -- 11/1/2012 10:30:40 PM >

Meanwhile...

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 4
RE: Dredd - 11/1/2012 12:52:10 AM   
Spaldron

quote:

ORIGINAL: rich

Well since this is the site thread, can someone lock the other seeing one as it's fucking awful

Actually scratch my original request and go with what rich said. ^

(in reply to rich)
Post #: 5
RE: Dredd - 11/1/2012 1:40:18 PM   
dreddhead123

Another thread! Whohoo.

Can we make this a totally random thread instead?

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_iOieiQsIb8M/TQJCJhub_vI/AAAAAAAAALM/8167cy3qI0M/s1600/smiling_cat_small.jpg

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 6
RE: Dredd - 11/1/2012 1:49:54 PM   
lukeyboy

^

I feel like i'm Han Solo, your Chewie and she's Ben Kenobi - and we're in that FUCKED UP bar!!

(in reply to dreddhead123)
Post #: 7
RE: Dredd - 11/1/2012 11:00:58 PM   
dreddhead123

I think this thread should be changed to Rico...

seeing as it's a cloned thread.

Post #: 8
Dredd (2012): The French Lieutenant's Admin - 12/1/2012 10:06:26 AM   
sauchieboy

Empire Admin, your username's totally badass. I bet everyone else who wanted that name is pissed you got there first. They probably have to call themselves something lame like Empire Admin X, or Darth Empire Admin. I like your stars.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 9
Dredd (2012): Slaves To Convention - 12/1/2012 10:07:19 AM   
sauchieboy

quote:

danbo1138: (regarding the release of a Dredd trailer) 'Supposed to be a sci-fi or comic book event thingy at the end of Feb I think with a 2000ad panel, either that or Kapow perhaps in April...other folks know more than me, I'm just parroting what I've read online with my shady memory.'

I've read that same speculation, danbo, and it seems as plausible as anything else I've seen. I know everyone launches their film at events like Comicon, regardless of whether they're based on strips or not, but does anyone think DNA will be marketing Dredd specifically as a comic adaptation?

Regular folks have some shitty preconceptions regarding what a film based on comics will be like, which- hopefully- won't be true of this film. The source material doesn't have the name recognition of Batman or Tintin (even in the UK), whereas the Action genre has a large established fanbase.

Since the film's action elements appear to be taking precedence over any sci-fi, comedic or satirical aspects; wouldn't it make more sense to market this film as an Action movie?

< Message edited by sauchieboy -- 12/1/2012 5:03:15 PM >

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 10
RE: Dredd (2012): Slaves To Convention - 12/1/2012 12:58:04 PM   
jobloffski

Good old fashioned trailerisms will do.

Shots of Mega City One to establish location, then focus on acts of crminality intercut with non full reveal/non helmet visible shots of Dredd (with maybe single word intertitles Crime//Chaos/Fear also inserted as the glimpses of crminality become more intense, these shots eventually creating an opposition between the head of the crime family and main character).

The only dialogue for the trailer, as it reaches its peak of tension (if the script you can find online is close to the final product) lines delivered via a PA system, that have the main character assert that the baddie is not the law,

interrupt the line delivery with brief montage of shots of Dredd Judging, then continue the line delivery

"I am the Law"

The final line delivered with a (excuse the phrase) full face helmet reveal, dialogue delivered with tradmeark grimace expression.
title of film on black screen

The single word intertitles and the title of the film create a warning to wrongdoers:

Crime, Chaos...Fear Dredd.

A certain amount of cheese, mitigated by the hints of the level of the viciousness of the world Dredd depicts (which will be pretty vicious, again going by the contents of the script.

Yes, dreamers dream and doers do. But if dreamers DON'T dream, doers don't have anything TO do. Everything that is only here because people exist, only exists because someone thought of it., or in other words, dreamed it.

(in reply to sauchieboy)
Post #: 11
RE: Dredd (2012): Slaves To Convention - 12/1/2012 1:38:01 PM   
Spaldron

quote:

ORIGINAL: jobloffski

Shots of Mega City One to establish location, then focus on acts of crminality intercut with non full reveal/non helmet visible shots of Dredd (with maybe single word intertitles Crime//Chaos/Fear also inserted as the glimpses of crminality become more intense, these shots eventually creating an opposition between the head of the crime family and main character).

The only dialogue for the trailer, as it reaches its peak of tension (if the script you can find online is close to the final product) lines delivered via a PA system, that have the main character assert that the baddie is not the law,

interrupt the line delivery with brief montage of shots of Dredd Judging, then continue the line delivery

"I am the Law"

The final line delivered with a (excuse the phrase) full face helmet reveal, dialogue delivered with tradmeark grimace expression.

The single word intertitles and the title of the film create a warning to wrongdoers:

A certain amount of cheese, mitigated by the hints of the level of the viciousness of the world Dredd depicts (which will be pretty vicious, again going by the contents of the script.

Loving you're trailer speculations jobloffski. As long as they don't give away too much in the teaser and get us interested with some awesome money shots and hints of big action then it should be all good.

Or they could just fudge it and give us the usual flash editing, big choir music, generic comic book trailer bs.

(in reply to jobloffski)
Post #: 12
RE: Dredd (2012): Slaves To Convention - 12/1/2012 5:11:47 PM   
danbo1138

I don't think they are sure how to market it because of Slys version.Most fans hate it as a Dredd adap but for Americans that's all they know.The ones that loved it(both of them) seem to be up in arms about a 'Sly' remake and most others seem to just think Dredds lame because of Slys Dredd.

Most Brit fans will be there no matter what so we aren't the problem.

Like jobloffski said,hit em hard with a trailer...

Love that trailer idea too

Come against me, if you dare! I am the storm! Come if you dare, Shai'tan! I am the Dragon Reborn!

(in reply to sauchieboy)
Post #: 13
Dredd (2012): I'm Your Worst Nightmare ... - 12/1/2012 5:38:02 PM   
sauchieboy

quote:

jobloffski: A certain amount of cheese, mitigated by the hints of the level of the viciousness of the world Dredd depicts

Communicating to a mainstream audience that this film will be as little like Fantastic Four and X Men: Last Stand as is humanly possible would be a noble and realistic aspiration for any trailer.  

Using the standard tropes of Action cinema: such as running from a massive explosion (as Urban's doing in one of Empire's exclusive pictures), slow motion gunplay (silently mouthing the word N-O-O-O-O! is optional), ending on the hero pointing his gun to camera as he delivers a dry payoff line, or any number of the eighties action film trailer's crimes against good taste and originality (i) would all be justifiable if they made it clear to the audience that no-one's superpower would be used as a metaphor for puberty in the course of this ACTION film (ii).

Those'd definitely be cheesey, but all trailers are inherently derivative and mostly awful-  hopelessly, pointlessly awful- so I'm not expecting any Dredd (2012) trailer to do much more than give us all a better idea how the elements of production design that we've already seen work in practice and create some brand awareness among the wider film-going community.

(i) Since the new film's more of an action film than standard comic book adaptations, my money's on a Commando montage teaser of Dredd strapping on for a day at the shitty end of the stick, ending with a close-up on the badge that turns into the poster image.

(ii) The only cliche I'd rule out is the shot of the hero cradling a fallen comrade as the camera zooms out to an arial view of him screaming 'MA MA MA-A-A-A-DRIGAL!

(in reply to jobloffski)
Post #: 14
RE: Dredd (2012): I'm Your Worst Nightmare ... - 12/1/2012 6:31:55 PM   
danbo1138

I think a hardcore red band trailer is needed to get word of mouth going among the fence sitters and Mr and Mrs General Public. A few choice headshots and some Lawmaster badassery should do it.

(in reply to sauchieboy)
Post #: 15
RE: Dredd (2012): I'm Your Worst Nightmare ... - 12/1/2012 9:03:00 PM   
furrybastard

Most trailers made for films are shopped out to various PR companies and aren't made by the directors or people involved in the actual production of the film. Therefore I'm expecting a pretty standard action trailer, to be honest.

Though Garland being the producer might mean we get something a bit more fine-tuned and substantial. 2000AD has its 35th anniversary in February and there's a birthday bash planned with Judge Dredd creators John Wagner and Carlos Ezquerra in attendence. I wouldn't be surprised if we saw a snippet or something from there.

San Diego Comic-Con looks likely for the full trailer.

(in reply to danbo1138)
Post #: 16
RE: Dredd (2012) - 12/1/2012 9:38:02 PM   
Spaldron

Aaaaaaaaand I see the titles are being changed on this thread now.

[sigh]

(in reply to furrybastard)
Post #: 17
RE: Dredd (2012) - 12/1/2012 10:17:21 PM   
dreddhead123

I did a review of Alex Garland's screenplay in 2010. Here it is - I'll remove any spoiler bits:

Alex Garland, screenwriter of such classics as 'The Margate Beach', 'Sunshine On A Cloudy Day' and the acclaimed thriller novel 'I Murdered Myself And Got Away With It' has been commissioned with the task of writing a new Judge Dredd screenplay.

The (leaked) screenplay starts with Dredd - now referred to as a responder - chasing after some perps, or rather, 'fucking' perps. In this vision of the future perps still swear the old fashioned way. Garland must think drokk, grud, stomm, poopyface and willywarmer are too silly because he does not mention them. Personally, I loved the old days in 2000AD when Dredd faced up to a perp, his lawgiver raised, eager for the kill, and said in his inimitable way: "I am the law, poopyface!" Sadly, Garland doesn't see it like that.

After a brief shootout Dredd pins down his perp, eager to sentence him. Dredd finds the perp guilty of stealing the limelight; after all, this story is called 'Judge Dredd' so why should some perp get most of the early screentime in the film, and he duly executes him on the spot. Garland makes it clear - Dredd is the star of this film and woe betide any supporting character with one line of dialogue ever trying to steal a scene.

The story continues with SPOILER DETAIL GONE Psi Judge Anderson. She's a rookie Judge, beautifully looking and a mutant. Apparently in the future all beautiful young women are mutants, Lord knows how ugly the normal women must be.

Dredd meets Anderson and you sense Garland is establishing some sexual tension between the two characters. Anderson's low zipped top is Garland trying to elicit a sexual response so it's no surprise when Dredd starts fondling his daystick and then asks if he can leave the room.

Later, Dredd and Anderson investigate a SPOILER DETAIL GONE at Peach Tree Block. This is a block full of peach trees. Garland is keen to tell us that even though Mega-City 1 is a violent, depressing world you can always rely on blocks full of peach trees. I don't know about you but I find that reassuring to know.

Inside Peach Tree they discover Ma-Ma is in charge. She's an old hooker with a silly sounding name. Apparently Garland's original name for the villain was 'Fanny - Mistress of the Night' but this was deemed too sophisticated for the target film audience.

The plot thickens as Dredd discovers all is not what it seems in Peach Tree Block. The SPOILER DETAIL REMOVED.The gang are loyal to Ma-ma even though they giggle behind her back and call her "Ma Ma Mia."

SPOILER DETAIL REMOVED. Slo-mo is a SPOILER DETAIL REMOVED that slows down time and is based on the two words: 'slow' and 'motion'. It should not be confused with the term bullet time that slows down time. Slo-mo slows down time in an Alex Garland screenplay whereas bullet time slows down time in any screenplay not written by Alex Garland. So no similarity whatsoever.

The rest of screenplay concerns Ma-Ma taking on Dredd and Anderson in a series of action scenes which bear a remarkable resemblance to the 1988 film Die Hard. It's clear Alex Garland is a fan of that popular action film. In one particular scene Garland is keen to pay homage to the film when Dredd says "yippie kai-yay motherfucker!" and then sentences himself to community service for needless profanity in a public place.

There is no doubt the screenplay seems less like Judge Dredd and more like Dredd Hard. In a storyline so bereft of imagination and invention you wonder if the writer has ever read a 2000AD Dredd strip. If he did it must have been one by Garth Ennis.

This is not to say the screenplay is totally without merit. Garland does give us explosive action. I am reminded of the scene at the end where Dredd forces a small nuclear missile up Ma-Ma's anal passage. The resultant blast wipes out most of the block, killing thousands of cits and destroying hundreds of lovely peach trees. Anderson's remark "don't you think that was a bit excessive?" is wonderfully countered by Dredd's reply, "you think this is bad, wait until you see the sequel!"

Judge Dredd by Alex Garland is a missed opportunity and gets 4 dud lawgiver rounds out of 10.

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 18
RE: Dredd (2012) - 12/1/2012 10:28:08 PM   
Rgirvan44

Do you like any other films Dreddhead123?

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

Post #: 19
RE: Dredd (2012) - 12/1/2012 10:33:57 PM   
MonsterCat

Does Dreddhead123 post weirdness like this all the time?

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 20
RE: Dredd (2012) - 12/1/2012 10:40:08 PM   
dreddhead123

"Does Dreddhead123 post weirdness like this all the time?"

Never...

http://img192.imageshack.us/img192/1396/judgeandbugscustom.jpg

http://img196.imageshack.us/img196/9559/dreddhelmet1customcusto.jpg

< Message edited by dreddhead123 -- 12/1/2012 10:43:20 PM >

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 21
RE: Dredd (2012) - 12/1/2012 10:47:34 PM   
dreddhead123

Original Empire Dredd cover....

http://img713.imageshack.us/img713/8730/karlurbanempirecoveralt.jpg

Post #: 22
RE: Dredd (2012) - 13/1/2012 12:00:03 AM   
jobloffski

My reaction to the script.

Not everything that Dredd has ever been as a comic strip (satire and action and looking at repression of citizens as a side effect of policing the city) can fit into one film. Many Dredd stories have 'a point' some of them are potboiler action pieces.

The script I read the other night is the potboiler type. It presents a harsh vision of a future city, in microcosm. Citizens and perps and Dredd and partner, trapped in a building. in effect, for the purposes of the story, the residential block stands a as proxy for the city. Crims versus cops, with the innocent caught in the crossfire.

Is it genius? No. But the previous point is the core of the comic strip in a nutshell, which I point out, because there's no fucking way a introductory film is going to get into the complexities of the stuff the strip looks at over several decades into an introductory reboot film that has, in this thing called the real world, to 'sell' the concept to people who have no knowledge of the long history of the character. Bemoaning this is a pointless waste of time.

Does the script work?

Yes. And the conceit of setting it in one block rather than in a sprawling cityscape it a perfectly acceptable compromise in circumstances where nobody would ever be providing the kind of money needed to do justice to Mega City one in any way.

What does the future hold for this Franchise?

Well, after TDKR has come and gone, anyone who wants to go not too many years before seeing a laconic implacable hero with a square jaw looking after his city may find that gap filled by Dredd, and if Dredd gets a sequel, the Batman movies will already have done a good job of making discussion of the nature of law and order marketable, within a fantasy/hero movie context. So, there's no reason why marketing it with that in mind shouldn't be a consideration.

< Message edited by jobloffski -- 13/1/2012 12:08:01 AM >

Yes, dreamers dream and doers do. But if dreamers DON'T dream, doers don't have anything TO do. Everything that is only here because people exist, only exists because someone thought of it., or in other words, dreamed it.

Post #: 23
RE: Dredd (2012) - 13/1/2012 6:09:52 AM   
danbo1138

^ This
They can tone down the weirdness for me,always preferred the more 'straight' cop type Dredd stories rather than have Fatties or Otto Sump taking up screen time.
Would love the odd skysurfer in the back ground though.
Blockwar and Apocalypse War for the sequels please.

(in reply to jobloffski)
Post #: 24
RE: Dredd (2012): Slaves To Convention - 13/1/2012 9:39:49 AM   
FoximusPrime

quote:

ORIGINAL: jobloffski

"I am the Law"

Not unlike the Frank Cross School of Trailering...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LvS12J4VpHg

Spoiler colour: #F1F1F1

(in reply to jobloffski)
Post #: 25
Dredd (2012): Look At His Little Willy! - 13/1/2012 9:59:07 AM   
sauchieboy

quote:

danbo1138: I don't think they are sure how to market it because of Sly's version. Most fans hate it as
a Dredd adap but for Americans that's all they know. The ones that loved it (both of them) seem to be up in arms
about a 'Sly' remake and most others seem to just think Dredd's lame because of Sly's Dredd.

Doh! That's what I should have written, danbo.

Whatever you think of Judge Dredd (1995), the new film's trying to do something very different, so DNA's marketing department have their work cut out getting that message across to a general audience. The memories of the codpiece, the flying bikes and 'I ... am ... thelorr!' are so incongruous in tone to Dredd (2012) they'll have the same effect as your Mum showing your baby pictures to a girl you're trying to fuck.

(in reply to danbo1138)
Post #: 26
Dredd (2012): We Have All The Time In The World - 13/1/2012 10:01:41 AM   
sauchieboy

quote:

furrybastard: Really like the talent involved (though I'm not overly fussed about Urban but he's a hell of a lot better than 'the other one')

Urban wasn't many people's ideal choice for Dredd, but he's a decent actor and he seems determined to serve the interests of the film, rather than try to change the role to meet his career requirements like 'the other one' did.

furrybastard's reference to 'the other one' suggests how the questions of what form a Dredd (2012) trailer should take, and how the new film can distance itself from the Stallone iteration, might both be resolved.

Dredd (2012)'s trailer could echo On Her Majesty's Secret Service's opening sequence, with Karl Urban riding his lawmaster onto a deserted Black Atlantic beach in pursuit of a pouting, chiffon-clad Diane Lane. When Dredd catches up to Hershey, she delivers a swift jackboot to his codpiece-less groin. As Dredd drops to his knees, the camera closes in on Karl Urban's scarlet face as he moans 'this never happened to the other fella'.

(in reply to furrybastard)
Post #: 27
Dredd (2012): Chaos and Creation - 13/1/2012 10:02:50 AM   
sauchieboy

quote:

dreddhead123: John Wagner's Day of Chaos in 2000AD is turning out to be a classic ... It looks as if MC-1 is in for some major trouble next week (MC-1 timeline week, not our 'real' next week)

I've enjoyed Day Of Chaos too, Scott. And I am 'glad Strontium Dog is back in 2000AD'.

Post #: 28
Dredd (2012): Poster Traumatic Stress Disorder - 13/1/2012 10:04:01 AM   
sauchieboy

quote:

Empire Admin: Post your comments on this article

JBUltimatum: Any idea when we can expect a trailer, or even a poster?? Looking forward to this but think it's about time something along those lines is released...

dreddhead123: DNA Films have issued a statement... As a result of online speculation regarding the release date of the trailer for 'Dredd', we can announce it will be released after the film's Blu-Ray and DVD launch next year. If fans wish to learn more about the film, including a comprehensive breakdown of the plot, cast, crew, as well as a blog video and new photographs taken from the set, please visit our website at http://www.dnafilms.com

DNA are probably right in thinking things like trailers and official posters will have more mainstream impact closer to the time of their film's release. They're probably also right to avoid the clusterfuck of Summer blockbustery by releasing their film in September; but they must have realised that- after a year with only an Empire feature to palpitate our curiosity- some of us would be reacting like Eastern European bears, beating our heads against the bars of our cages for lack of sensory stimulus.

Instead of shutting down and ostracising people like michael vk (i), DNA could have let their crew feed fan interest with the kind of minutiae that only the unreasonably obsessed lap up: I still treasure my Return Of The Jedi book that details the Blue Harvest deception, the Ewok revolt and Ben Burt's anecdotes about how he found the noise that served as The Millennium Falcon's engines. A website like the one Scott sarcastically describes (above) would have given us all enough fodder to keep our jaws busy until Spring, without spoiling the palette of casual viewers.

Cinematographer Anthony Dod Mantle's enthusiasm for 'negative space' and extreme close-ups hasn't troubled the pages of The Sun's Bizarre column, but reading about it has made me consider paying an extra fiver to see the film in 3D.

(i) dreddhead123: a 2000AD fan created a Dredd (2012) website with updated news links and photos. He got a 'cease and desist' notice from DNA Films and had to close down his site ... a guy actually worked on the film and posts on the 2000AD forum. He works and lives in South Africa. I don't think he had a huge part in the production of the film, mostly pre-production but the producers didn't like him posting on the 2000AD message board and he got removed from the film. He was told not to mention the film on the forum

Post #: 29
RE: Dredd (2012) - 13/1/2012 10:52:21 AM   
Spaldron

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat

Does Dreddhead123 post weirdness like this all the time?

You've just noticed?

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Future Films >> Dredd Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI