Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Infographic: Movie Franchise Lexicon

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Feedback] >> Empire Online >> Infographic: Movie Franchise Lexicon Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Infographic: Movie Franchise Lexicon - 10/1/2012 11:44:23 AM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
Technically, Prometheus isn't a Prequel. - 10/1/2012 12:23:44 PM   
loafroaster

It'd really be either a psuedo-prequel (a purported prequel with a spurious connection to the previous movie), or a prequel-spin-off (a spin-off, but going backwards).

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
So... - 10/1/2012 12:48:31 PM   
veedlemonster

this means the Lion King is a Reinterpretation... of Hamlet..?
hoorah for lexicon i guess.

also, where the hell does the StarWars: Holiday Special come into this?!

Post #: 3
Poster - 10/1/2012 1:27:54 PM   
kisswithatear

Can someone make this into a poster? I want it on my wall...

Post #: 4
How much of this cr*ap did Empire just make up? - 10/1/2012 2:57:22 PM   
Nicky C

Slow news day, guys? Just joshing, though. Agree would make a cool poster, but even better as a t-shirt! On a grey or blue shirt, though. Not black. Geeks have too many black T-shirts as it is. Come on Empire merch-moguls. Make it happen!

Post #: 5
- 10/1/2012 4:25:43 PM   
shitneck

Sorry, but i must agree with others, this article is complete and utter shite.

Post #: 6
- 10/1/2012 6:32:51 PM   
C.wilkins94

they missed out a shitquel

Post #: 7
Batman - 10/1/2012 8:20:40 PM   
chimbers22

I've had this argument with a friend before, but is 'The Dark Knight' a sequel or an instalment? I'd argue instalment as Nolan always makes films so they stand on their own. However, the marketing team are referring to the new one as the conclusion to a trilogy. so........

Post #: 8
- 10/1/2012 10:29:11 PM   
DJ Satan

So where does the squeakel fit on this chart?

Post #: 9
RE: Batman - 11/1/2012 6:39:42 AM   
nKutzler

I'm going to try and answer some questions, or something.
Dark Knight is a sequel because it is directly affected by everything from Batman Begins. Nolan doesn't do this much, only for Batman so far.
X-Men first Class is not necessarily a prequel because it's events don't precede those of X-men movies. I say this because it changed the character history of almost everybody.
Crossover: The Avengers. Yeah, it's a pretty big deal.
Ok, need to un-nerd this comment... Pulp Fiction= Tarantino genius (no other classification). And I loved seeing Donnie Darko up there.

Post #: 10
Inception is hardly an original - 11/1/2012 7:24:12 PM   
smakris04

I know for some reason you LUV Nolan but inception is hardly an original idea. Sorry Empire. You've become so weak these past few years...

Post #: 11
badblokebob - 12/1/2012 12:40:08 AM   
badblokebob

I'd love smakris04 to tell us what Inception is "directly based on", then. There's a difference between original as in "a completely and utterly new concept and story" and original as in "not based on something else", and I think it's pretty clear which Empire mean.

Except it would seem it wasn't, so for the benefit of slower-minded readers, it's the latter.

Post #: 12
badblokebob - 12/1/2012 9:12:10 AM   
smakris04

Inception is as original as a reboot. It is how Nolan saw Paprika and it also brings in mind the city of lost children, The matrix. I am not saying it is a reboot but empire could use an actual original idea instead of smt they themselves know that is not original.

Post #: 13
RE: badblokebob - 12/1/2012 10:19:31 AM   
watsono

The Matrix is about how we are actually perceiving reality in its real form rather then its fictional form that some sort of machine is allowing us to see. Matrix looks into what is real and what is not real in the actual reality of the world, Inception accepts that what we see in the world is in fact real. The fantasises we witness in Inception are part of the dream world, they only question which world is real because they have been using inception for so long, they have confused themselves at some points. However they never argue that the world when they are awake is actually the real world, while The matrix argues the exact opposite, so to argue that Inception is not an original idea and is derived from the Matrix is a massive misinterpretation.

(in reply to smakris04)
Post #: 14
RE: badblokebob - 12/1/2012 11:04:29 AM   
smakris04

I know what Matrix is and what Inception tried to be. That is why I said inspired by The matrix, paprika, the city of lost chilred etc.
In the same sense that Inception is an original so is Tomb Raider next to Indiana Jones (I know TR was a video game first but even the game was not original. It was inspired by Jones) or Salt who is an original movie but was inspired by Bond and Mission Impossible movies and Bourn movies etc. There are very little original ideas nowadays but Inception is not one of them!

(in reply to watsono)
Post #: 15
terminator: Salvation - 13/1/2012 6:00:07 AM   
JosteinAsk

tough one with all the time travel

is it a pre, three, mid, side or interquel ??

Post #: 16
- 14/1/2012 11:27:53 AM   
davepearce

It appears some new words were added to the English language solely for use in this article. Little more than half of these are real; I don't think I've ever read or heard the others being used (sidequel?) and feel like they were made up when the author realised that his decent idea for an article would only stretch so far so rather than scrap it he just padded it out with nonsense - disguised in the middle between valid entries in hopes that no one would notice.

Post #: 17
- 16/1/2012 4:14:04 PM   
RandyE

"this means the Lion King is a Reinterpretation... of Hamlet..?"

When Jeffrey Katzenberg ran through the plot of Lion King during a meeting with the writers, one of them said "So basically we're doing Hamlet?" and Katzenberg made it clear he had no idea what the writer was talking about. The non-college-educated Katzenberg honestly thought the story was completely original.

And as for comparing Inception to "Paprika" (Really, that's the name of a movie? I had to look it up because I thought it had something to do with Blue's Clues,or goulash)--how about looking for a movie that might have actually played in US theaters, like Dreamscape. Or is that one too old and not Asian enough for your tastes?

Post #: 18
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Feedback] >> Empire Online >> Infographic: Movie Franchise Lexicon Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI