Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Old fashioned

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Old fashioned Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Old fashioned - 10/11/2012 3:45:31 PM   
Private Hudson

This was certainly old fashioned storytelling and okay so it was sentimental. However, I thought it was brilliant. More like the old Spielberg.

I just watched it finally on Sky. I thought it combined many elements that we all know about The Great War pretty well... the trenches, desertion, mustard gas, no man's land, and the birth of the tank.

We probably didn't quite get enough of the brutal slaughter and the futility of war, but there was the poignant scene when the cavalry charge cuts to the riderless horses leaping over the German machine gun lines.

The best compliment I can give Spielberg is that it was like a 1930s movie made today. A film John Ford would have turned out in his sleep. But that is not a criticism, it is a plus.

The heart strings were certainly pulled, but then again that is what movies should be all about.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 91
A beautifully made war/adventure epic - 7/2/2013 2:29:37 AM   
Mr Gittes

I agree with the Empire review on all counts. In the cinema there was applause when this movie ended...and that was in Ayr, Scotland!

Post #: 92
RE: War Horse - 7/8/2013 1:40:37 PM   
Vitamin F

** minor spoilery thing **

quote:

ORIGINAL: MartinBlank76

My main problem with the film was that the main character was a horse which we were all meant to be as amazed at and in love with as the characters in the film were.

And I wasnt.

That's it in a nutshell - the sheer amount of amazement shown by characters (often large groups) to a bloody horse went completely over my head. I couldn't give a toss about the horse (never a good sign when there's no connection with the 'hero') and was baffled by the reaction of everyone in the film. It became a bit hokey before long, and giving a horse an overly anthropomorphic death scene while another mourns him really didn't help!

At times I felt this wavered from Saving Private Ryan-lite to Charlottes Web (the horse might as well have had a talking part, he seemed to understand perfect English), but should have been either a kids film or an adult one, not a mash-up of both.

(in reply to MartinBlank76)
Post #: 93
RE: War Horse - 31/12/2013 12:23:21 PM   
chang

The material sometimes feels oversugared, though it's also guaranteed to raise a lump in your throat.
quote:

War Horse

Post #: 94
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Old fashioned Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI