Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: War Horse

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: War Horse Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: War Horse - 30/1/2012 6:40:48 PM   
DazDaMan

quote:

ORIGINAL: MartinBlank76

So in terms of animals in lead roles in films - pigs good, monkeys good, dogs good, horses bad.

*cough* Seabiscuit

*coughcough* Hidalgo

*coughingmyfuckingbollocksup* Black Beauty..... etc.

I can go on. Fuck, even Secretariat had its good points. And let's not get started on National Velvet...

You fucking fuckers are gonna do what I say or I'm going to stick my foot so far up your assholes you'll rue the day you crawled out of your mother's twat!

(in reply to MartinBlank76)
Post #: 61
Utter Waste of My Time - 30/1/2012 8:03:54 PM   
lennybaby_2000

This film, being about a horse (well huzzah and hoorah!!!), wasn't one I had high expectations of. However, this being Spielberg, I -in a corner of my mind- hoped to be proven wrong, and that Spielberg, genius that he has proved himself to be many times over, would surprise me. Well, he didn't, and the film was utter crud. Sentimental, simplistic, syrupy, predictable and completely disposable. If this was the first film you have ever seen, then maybe its basic approach to character and plotting will do something for you. But otherwise avoid. I don't know what the Empire reviewer is doing giving this four stars. Was he drunk? I give it three, and that's being generous because I AM drunk. (No I'm not).

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 62
War Horse Review - 30/1/2012 9:14:30 PM   
the film man

Technically superb, proudly sentimental, and unabashedly old-fashioned, War Horse is an emotional drama that tugs the heartstrings with Spielberg's customary flair.

Post #: 63
RE: War Horse - 30/1/2012 11:18:24 PM   
narmour

quote:

You must have been looking incredibly hard for Jesus references...

I wouldn't say that... it stuck out like dogs balls

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 64
RE: War Horse - 31/1/2012 7:50:59 AM   
DazDaMan

quote:

ORIGINAL: narmour

quote:

So you imagined No Man's Land to be all lush pastures and daisies, did you? Not the shell-chewed, muddy hell that it actually was?

You fucking fuckers are gonna do what I say or I'm going to stick my foot so far up your assholes you'll rue the day you crawled out of your mother's twat!

(in reply to narmour)
Post #: 65
RE: War Horse - 31/1/2012 8:59:00 AM   
MartinBlank76

quote:

ORIGINAL: DazDaMan

quote:

So in terms of animals in lead roles in films - pigs good, monkeys good, dogs good, horses bad.

*cough* Seabiscuit

*coughcough* Hidalgo

I can go on. Fuck, even Secretariat had its good points. And let's not get started on National Velvet...

*******mild spoilers********

Maybe I am being unfair on horsey movies judging them all on War Horse. I did like Seabiscuit and I dont remember ever having any of the problems I had with it that I had with War Horse. Havent seen hidalgio or secretariat. Years since I saw national velvet and black beauty. I just remembered I did like Champion the wonder horse!

Maybe what made the difference with some of those films is that the horse was surrounded by a good cast who had been given something to work with. Whereas in War Horse not only was the Joey left to carry a number of scenes on his own (which didnt work for me at all), the human cast never really made much of an impression so by the end of the film I didnt really care about any of the characters, animal or human.

Also I think the likes of Seabiscuit sold the relationship between man and horse better and didnt have to resort to telling us how much everyone was in awe of it all the time, and the fact the many people Joey met were, stretched credibility for me. I just kept thinking, 'calm down, its only a horse'.

I'm just a fella. I think beer should be cold and boots should be dusty. I think 911 was bad. And freedom? Well, I think thats just a little bit better.

(in reply to DazDaMan)
Post #: 66
RE: Horse manure - 1/2/2012 8:51:09 AM   
narmour

quote:

ORIGINAL: BatSpider

WTF was up with that ultra slutty French moppet with ridiculous accent?

Agreed. She was annoying. But definitely slutty. I can definitely see her as a cock teasing teenager in a few years in some dodgy French "art" movie.

(in reply to BatSpider)
Post #: 67
RE: War Horse - 1/2/2012 8:52:11 AM   
narmour

n

< Message edited by narmour -- 1/2/2012 8:53:12 AM >

(in reply to DazDaMan)
Post #: 68
RE: War Horse - 1/2/2012 8:52:48 AM   
narmour

quote:

quote:

quote:

So you imagined No Man's Land to be all lush pastures and daisies, did you? Not the shell-chewed, muddy hell that it actually was?

This makes no sense. Speak some sense damn you.

(in reply to DazDaMan)
Post #: 69
RE: War Horse - 1/2/2012 8:54:57 AM   
narmour

quote:

ORIGINAL: rawlinson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Timon

quote:

ORIGINAL: rawlinson

But I don't see that as an excuse. You can make a film about the relationships between people and an animal and not have it be sentimental.

But what's wrong with sentimental?

Nothing in general. But when it's excessive, especially in the arts, it can be lazy and used as a way to get a quick and easy emotional reaction. It can also be used to paper over the lack of any real emotional depth in the work. And that's how I saw War Horse, a shallow film with no real emotional depth but buckets of sentiment.

Couldn't have said it better myself. Well maybe if i wasn't so damn drunk all the time.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 70
RE: War Horse - 1/2/2012 9:08:54 AM   
DazDaMan

quote:

quote:

quote:

*cough* Seabiscuit

*coughcough* Hidalgo

Maybe I am being unfair on horsey†movies†judging them all on War Horse. I did like Seabiscuit and I dont remember ever having any of the problems I had with it that I had with War Horse.†Havent seen hidalgio or secretariat. Years since I saw national velvet and black beauty. I just remembered I did like Champion the wonder horse!

Maybe what made the difference with some of those films is that the horse was surrounded by a good cast who had been given something to work with. Whereas in War Horse not only was the Joey left to carry a number of scenes on his own (which didnt work for me at all), the human cast never really made much of an impression so by the end of the film I didnt really care about any of the characters, animal or human.

Also I think the likes of Seabiscuit sold the relationship between man and horse better and didnt have to resort to telling us how much everyone was in awe of it all the time, and the fact the many people Joey met were, stretched credibility for me. I just kept thinking, 'calm down, its only a horse'.

See, that's a much better reason for disliking it than some of the dross I've seen so far!

Fair enough. It's been a while since I read it, but the novel tells the story exclusively from Joey's point of view, so aside from Albert, the story does not dwell hugely on any other characters. (This, of course, going from memory. I could be wrong.)

I would imagine the stage show to be the same.

Post #: 71
RE: War Horse - 1/2/2012 9:08:59 AM   
DazDaMan

quote:

quote:

quote:

*cough* Seabiscuit

*coughcough* Hidalgo

Maybe I am being unfair on horsey†movies†judging them all on War Horse. I did like Seabiscuit and I dont remember ever having any of the problems I had with it that I had with War Horse.†Havent seen hidalgio or secretariat. Years since I saw national velvet and black beauty. I just remembered I did like Champion the wonder horse!

See, that's a much better reason for disliking it than some of the dross I've seen so far!

Fair enough. It's been a while since I read it, but the novel tells the story exclusively from Joey's point of view, so aside from Albert, the story does not dwell hugely on any other characters. (This, of course, going from memory. I could be wrong.)

I would imagine the stage show to be the same.

Post #: 72
RE: War Horse - 1/2/2012 9:15:00 AM   
DazDaMan

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I was referring to your post about washing the horse's feet. No Man's Land - the bit of wasteland between the opposing sides - was exactly as the film depicted. So it would make sense that, when Albert finds what he thinks could be Joey after all this time, the horse's legs are washed just in case.

Also, the leg-washing happens in the book. Not quite in the way depicted in the film, but it happens. And it's not a Jesus allegory, either.

(in reply to narmour)
Post #: 73
RE: War Horse - 1/2/2012 10:26:57 PM   
narmour

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I was referring to your post about washing the horse's feet. No Man's Land - the bit of wasteland between the opposing sides - was exactly as the film depicted. So it would make sense that, when Albert finds what he thinks could be Joey after all this time, the horse's legs are washed just in case.

Also, the leg-washing happens in the book. Not quite in the way depicted in the film, but it happens. And it's not a Jesus allegory, either.

Well I'm glad you cleared that up for me. But I'd rather trust my own in built Jesus reference detector than trust the word of a stranger.

(in reply to DazDaMan)
Post #: 74
RE: War Horse - 2/2/2012 1:30:34 PM   
m_er

7/10 War Horse: This is not a film about a horse, far from it. This is a film about family, conflict, bravery, life, death, friendship, and much more. Though it is not the best I've ever seen. Warning: This movie can be tough for some viewers. However, itís a Wanna-Be-Oscar-Winner stereotype movieÖ.

WHOA. I don't believe what I'm hearing. Check out the BALLS on this kid. Hey Spider, this is for you.

My movies
http://www.imdb.com/mymovies/list?l=4044070

(in reply to DazDaMan)
Post #: 75
Bambi and the Big Guns! - 5/2/2012 12:47:44 PM   
Saxsymbol

Spielberg's taste leaves a lot to be desired (proving that taste just can't be bought): First he completely raped my favourite comic character, TinTin by neglecting all the Euro-charm, cutting up the stories, and re-editing them into a mash-up as he pleased, even restyling the looks of the characters to brand them as Happy Meal toys. Then he creates War Horse, a paper-thin fairy tale, using the most horrific war in history as a backdrop of a shallow popcorn movie. The lead actor, although British, really looked American and over-styled, as does the rest of the film. War Horse was predictably Spielberg and lacked identity: It's neither Bambi nor Saving Private Ryan. Anyway, a bit dissapointing and way too polished and sentimental for me. As a matinee it 'kind of' works, but when you're looking for a tasteful fairytale set in WWI, just watch A Very Long Engagement by Jeunet, which is the real deal and way more original!

Post #: 76
Bambi and the Big Guns! - 5/2/2012 12:48:13 PM   
Saxsymbol

Spielberg's taste leaves a lot to be desired (proving that taste just can't be bought): First he completely raped my favourite comic character, TinTin by neglecting all the Euro-charm, cutting up the stories, and re-editing them into a mash-up as he pleased, even restyling the looks of the characters to brand them as Happy Meal toys. Then he creates War Horse, a paper-thin fairy tale, using the most horrific war in history as a backdrop of a shallow popcorn movie. The lead actor, although British, really looked American and over-styled, as does the rest of the film. War Horse was predictably Spielberg and lacked identity: It's neither Bambi nor Saving Private Ryan. Anyway, a bit dissapointing and way too polished and sentimental for me. As a matinee it 'kind of' works, but when you're looking for a tasteful fairytale set in WWI, just watch A Very Long Engagement by Jeunet, which is the real deal and way more original!

Post #: 77
RE: Bambi and the Big Guns! - 6/2/2012 5:03:39 AM   
jonwells81

Agreed on nearly all points @Saxsymbol, I thought the whole movie was just "Alright", nothing special, just a great big bag of predictability and coincidence all wrapped up in a shiny Spielberg christmas box. Watch "A very long engagement" instead.

(in reply to Saxsymbol)
Post #: 78
RE: War Horse - 6/2/2012 7:11:47 AM   
DazDaMan

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Well I'm glad you cleared that up for me. But I'd rather trust my own in built Jesus reference detector than trust the word of a stranger.

Whatever floats your boat, man.

(in reply to narmour)
Post #: 79
RE: War Horse - 8/2/2012 7:24:47 PM   
Spaldron

I enjoyed this. Solid effort by the Berg with some stunning cinematography, heartfelt moments and good performances from the ensemble cast and the horse obviously. My only issue was it was a tad too sentimental and earnest, although this is somewhat a Spielberg trademark. I also got bored during the segment on the French farm, and had a problem with the euro accents. I wish they had actually been in their own languages with subtitles. However the films heart won over and it was worth it purely for the stunning scene where Joey gallops through the trenches mid battle.

3.5/5

And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts
And I looked and behold, a pale horse
And his name that sat on him was Death
And Hell followed with him.

(in reply to DazDaMan)
Post #: 80
Beautifully Shot And Heart-Wrenchingly Emotional - 10/2/2012 4:06:26 PM   
Mr. Anderson

This and The Help are the pick of the Oscar bunch for me. Impossible to watch this without shedding a tear atleast twice. It's a little too choppy in places for my liking, with one scene jumping to the next to quickly at times, but if you don't find this emotionally uplifting for atleast the last half-hour then you're probably in possession of a heart of solid rock.

Post #: 81
''EXCELLENT '' - 17/2/2012 10:17:24 PM   
soulfood

All round Outstanding & Wonderful movie !

Post #: 82
- 21/2/2012 6:29:43 PM   
TheGodfather

War Horse
It often occurs that a trailer gives you a different impression of a film than the final result is. But sometimes it happens that after seeing the trailer you know exactly what kind of movie you`re gonna see. War Horse is a prime example of the latter category.
It is one big sentimental, uninteresting flick! Watching paint dry is more interesing.
It all looks immaculate but it is just too much. It looks like Spielberg set to make that his ultimate goal. Making beautiful shots just for making beautiful shots. Because that`s where it stops. It`s too long and boring and it didn`t interest me one bit what happened to the characters or, for that matter, the horse itself.
If the best thing about a film is the musical score then that tells you all you need to know.
A big miss from Steven Spielberg...

6,0/10

Post #: 83
War Horse Review - 11/3/2012 2:28:17 PM   
DaleLawson

War Horse has a slow and tedious beginning but dramatically improves after the horse’s involvement in World War I. Jeremy Irvine’s acting ability lets the film down, even with the fantastic performances of Hiddleston, Cumberbatch, Arestrup and Mullan. But all in all, the film was entertaining and emotionally attaching, even with the mentioned faults. Another successful block-buster for Spielberg to add to his collection, even if it doesn’t measure the likes of Jurassic Park (Dir. Steven Spielberg, 1993), E.T: The Extra-Terrestrial (Dir. Steven Spielberg, 1982) and Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark (Dir. Steven Spielberg, 1981).

Post #: 84
Almost Amazing... - 2/5/2012 10:02:06 AM   
trainedasninja

Thought Provoking and visually impressive, War horse resembles that Old Fashioned Hollywood feel unfortunately feeling artificial and sentimental in the process. However it would take someone with a pretty hard heart not to be hooked by caring about the characters.

Post #: 85
RE: War Horse - 2/5/2012 5:45:12 PM   
Phubbs

I thought this was going to be a gut wrenching tear fest with lots of death, blood and mud as brave English men trudge through the trenches of WW1, it actually turns out to be a very heart warming children's film of sorts, more educational than Hollywood if anything.

Yes the film is tear jerking but not as heavy I thought it would be, as Mr Spielberg was at the helm I was kinda thinking along the lines of 'Schindler's List' but boy was I wrong. Its based on a children's novel for one thing (didn't know this) and the film is completely down that route...for the younger viewer. The plot is basically the story of a horse as it progresses through various owners after the outbreak of WW1.
Fate, despair and luck all play a part for the horse and its short lived owners as we follow a brief history lesson and see how mankind can be both cruel and compassionate. This is displayed marvellously in a scene as an English Tommy and German soldier meet up in no mans land befriending each other (won't say why), a nod to the true event of 1914 when both sides met on Christmas day in no mans land...ate, drank, exchanged gifts and played a football game together. A real moment in history which showed how ranks of troops were merely unwilling pawns used in high commanding war games.

Now despite the ever increasing PG's we are fed the film is perfectly made by Sir Spielberg with the kind of direction, art and cinematography you would expect from the mortal God of Hollywood. The film looks perfect, nothing less, everything is beautifully created and looks wonderfully accurate and correct. Allot of this film is like a watercolour painting, the colours, the angles, the lighting and the flow from one scene to another is stunning, Spielberg is the Master.

There really is very little to fault here, the cast is chock full of English quality with performances most American stars can only dream of being capable of, right down the line from the bigger stars to character actors only British cinema goers will know of like Geoff Bell. The only quibble I did have was towards the finale the film does get a little too overly melodramatic to be honest, too many obvious 'lump in the throat' moments stringed together clearly trying to really nail the emotions at the final hurdle.

Must give a huge kudos for the animal training work that was clearly put in, many horses were used but you would never know, amazingly well behaved and very clever animals to perform as required.

As said this isn't a Hollywood/star studded film, its more of an educational film or aid for all children of all ages and it should be shown in schools. There is no blood and very little violence anywhere but the film is spot on, it isn't too heart breaking as I'm sure your wondering, we know Spielberg can make us blubber but for me this film didn't leave me a howling wreck on the floor. Everything is created faithfully but carefully edited and shot cleverly so as not too horrify but more to inform, embrace our countries proud history and hopefully inspire our youngsters to find out more for themselves.

Post #: 86
RE: War Horse - 3/5/2012 4:23:41 AM   
emilyblack06

Seen the movie like weeks ago and I could say that U could still remember details of it which made me realize it's a great film. I can't really go against you all because all of us has his own perception. But for me, I could really say it's a great film. It showed a lot of elements. The great and bad things of war. But I just have to comment a bit of how details are synchronized parts by parts, there is sometimes a fast movement of track and I can't seem to follow. Yet over all it's a great one. MOVING and REMARKABLE.

:))

deer hunting, public land, game lands, hunting trip

(in reply to Phubbs)
Post #: 87
Spielberg back on form - 17/5/2012 7:12:46 PM   
dannyfletch

I approached War Horse with caution as big screen apapts of stage plays are a bit touch and go plus Spielberg has been a bit hit and miss lately ( R.E Crystal Skull!!! ). So after missing it in the cinema I decided, after hearing lots of good feedback to purchase the blu-ray. I was very glad I did! While not taking itself too seriously, War Horse is an emotional, engaging and very well made epic and it's great to see a top director back on form ( along with the recent excellent Tin Tin) and he makes this adaption very much his own with a fantastic cast, stunning scenery and great soundtrack! Perfect for the ( not too young) family!

Post #: 88
Horse Feathers - 4/6/2012 6:06:09 AM   
Kramer Bozco

Not Spielberg's best, but that is never a criticism for one of the best directors around. A simple story, but not dumb, with a pounding heartbeat to push it forward. A tearjerker, but never exploits the audience's emotional investment. So gorgeously filmed that it makes life look dull. It has the grace, strength and natural beauty of a horse.

Post #: 89
- 24/6/2012 12:21:22 PM   
danfacey711

I personally thought this film was a bit slow and dull at times with a constantly cheesy and cliché script that had none of the power and grandeur of the book. I thought this film focussed too much on the epic panning shots and the colourful sunset cinematography of he country side rather than the characters or the drama. My favourite part of this film was the segment with the two German brothers, making this a powerful part of the film that was nearly forgotten when it's large ensemble cast was overlapped onto this.

Overal, not bad performances (Hiddleston and Thewlis) but not what was expected

Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: War Horse Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News††|††Empire Blog††|††Movie Reviews††|††Future Films††|††Features††|††Video Interviews††|††Image Gallery††|††Competitions††|††Forum††|††Magazine††|††Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI