Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: War Horse - Classic Spielberg

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: War Horse - Classic Spielberg Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: War Horse - Classic Spielberg - 19/1/2012 9:24:01 AM   
Timon

Classic Spielberg. Moving, sentimental and wonderful to watch.

Don't see it if you hate being emotionally manipulated.

I personally don't mind it.

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Twitter: @timonsingh

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 31
RE: War Horse - Classic Spielberg - 19/1/2012 12:18:44 PM   
Dr Lenera

Coming on like a film from a bygone era, with even the supposed realistic depictions of war conspicuously lacking in blood, Spielberg’s latest is nonetheless his best in quite some time.  The episodic but extremely compelling narrative is crammed with stunning images and certain scenes portray the insanity of war in a brilliant way.  Corny and sentimental maybe - but I've rarely found a problem with that!
8.5/10

check out more of my reviews on http://horrorcultfilms.co.uk/

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 32
RE: War Horse - Classic Spielberg - 19/1/2012 6:33:01 PM   
DazDaMan

I've already done a review of War Horse elsewhere, so I'll just say that it was one of the best films I've seen at the cinema in a LONG time.

Even if I wasn't involved with horses (both as a hobby and for work), I would have loved it.

Now I just need to see the stage show to see if it has the same effect.

You fucking fuckers are gonna do what I say or I'm going to stick my foot so far up your assholes you'll rue the day you crawled out of your mother's twat!

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 33
RE: War Horse - Classic Spielberg - 19/1/2012 6:33:09 PM   
DazDaMan

I've already done a review of War Horse elsewhere, so I'll just say that it was one of the best films I've seen at the cinema in a LONG time.

Even if I wasn't involved with horses (both as a hobby and for work), I would have loved it.

Now I just need to see the stage show to see if it has the same effect.

You fucking fuckers are gonna do what I say or I'm going to stick my foot so far up your assholes you'll rue the day you crawled out of your mother's twat!

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 34
Horse manure - 19/1/2012 8:13:26 PM   
BatSpider

WTF was up with that ultra slutty French moppet with ridiculous accent? Movie turned shite right about then. Judging by output over the last few years, the last movie Speilberg really cared about was Munich. What a freakin hack he is now.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 35
RE: Horse manure - 20/1/2012 7:43:23 AM   
Timon

quote:

ORIGINAL: BatSpider

WTF was up with that ultra slutty French moppet with ridiculous accent? Movie turned shite right about then. Judging by output over the last few years, the last movie Speilberg really cared about was Munich. What a freakin hack he is now.

You mean Emelie, the young girl suffering from a terminal illness to whom Joey represented freedom and expression?

Oh and the ridiculous accent is a French accent. And ultra-slutty?!

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

(in reply to BatSpider)
Post #: 36
Horses for courses - 20/1/2012 12:17:20 PM   
Jar Jar Gabor

quote:

WTF was up with that ultra slutty French moppet with ridiculous accent?

I think if you're the kind of person who would describe a 15-year old actress in this manner then War Horse probably isn't the film for you...

War Horse is unashamedly old-fashioned, both in terms of its look and its content. There's no place for cynicism, archness or ironic nihilism. It's the type of film you either go with completely or steadfastly refuse to be drawn into.

Spielberg's film is a melodrama. It's a fable. It's sentimental. Its themes are broad and child-friendly. This isn't a criticism, this is a statement of fact. But this is precisely what Spielberg intended to create from the outset, and I have a hard time giving credence to anyone who sees these things as a failing. Yes, you have every right not to like these things, but to act as if you've somehow seen behind the curtain and exposed the film for what it is, when what it is is as plain as day and entirely intentional, is pretty silly.

It is stunningly, gloriously old-fashioned grand cinema. Some of the images Spielberg creates here are amongst his most powerful and beautiful, as well as his most moving and meaningful, and I know it's going to take a few more viewings to fully digest them. I think nearly every moment is heartfelt and genuine in intent, not merely a cynical button-pushing exercise.

Given many of the reviews, I was surprised by how little John Williams' score actually intruded on the film, and how often no score was used at all. Having rewatched Dances With Wolves the previous day (it would actually make a pretty interesting double-header with War Horse), there is nary a wide shot that doesn't have John Barry's horns blasting over the top of it (nothing intrinsically wrong with that, of course, and it remains the better film), which I think illustrates how little leeway is afforded to Williams in comparison with other composers, and how reputation rather than reality often plays its part with critics.

SPOILERS

For me, the element that keeps the film from greatness is the same thing that also damaged Tintin, and that's the source material itself. In Tintin, Hergé's hero has always been a somewhat bland cipher onto whom the reader could impose their own psyche, which works fine in comic-book form but makes him difficult to care about once literalised on film. Similarly, in War Horse, the novel's episodic structure is equally anti-cinematic, making emotional connection to fleetingly glimpsed characters difficult to justify. I believe this is what creates the disconnect between the amount that Spielberg wants us to feel within each vignette and the amount that perhaps we do feel. I think it's telling that I felt more for the death of Topthorn than I did for any of the human deaths we see or hear about, and I can't help but be troubled by that. Also, again like Tintin, I felt that the script was a little clunky at times; more serviceable than inspired.

And yet, those images...

It's been a while since I've been able to justify having watched a movie on the big screen, so little have films of late made the most of cinema as an institution or experience. Yet, sat there watching the incredible breadth and width of Spielberg's images, and hearing the sobs and gasps and laughter in the audience, I was at last reminded of cinema's purpose, and given renewed reason for its existence.

"My mother did throw me against a brick wall when I was an infant. I didn't get hurt at all. I've mentioned it to her a couple of times. She said I was a little prick."

DVD's wot I own.

(in reply to BatSpider)
Post #: 37
RE: Horses for courses - 20/1/2012 7:31:08 PM   
kargon

"Spielberg's finest hour" is what i just heard the Trailer guy say as i sit at the computer by the TV. I THINK NOT. Sure, its good , showing us some of the horrors and hardships of WW1 but it aint half bloody wet in places.

"I SAY WHAT I LIKE AND I LIKE WHAT I BLOODY WELL SAY".

"WHAT THE FUCK DOES ANYTHING HAVE TO DO WITH VIETNAM?"

"YOU BETTER BE PUTTING AWAY THAT BLADE, OR YOU WON'T BELIEVE WHAT HAPPENS NEXT, EVEN WHILE IT'S HAPPENING"

(in reply to Jar Jar Gabor)
Post #: 38
too sentimental - 20/1/2012 8:40:15 PM   
keiron70

Although well made with spielbergs usual flair, found it far to sentimental and at times boring.

Post #: 39
too sentimental - 20/1/2012 8:40:17 PM   
keiron70

Although well made with spielbergs usual flair, found it far to sentimental and at times boring.

Post #: 40
RE: Horse manure - 20/1/2012 9:30:18 PM   
DazDaMan

quote:

WTF was up with that ultra slutty French moppet with ridiculous accent?

The most ridiculous statement I've ever read on this forum, and that's saying something...

(in reply to BatSpider)
Post #: 41
- 22/1/2012 11:35:38 AM   
skeletonjack

Yes it's cheesy, yes it's sentimental, yes some of the dialogue seems more suited to the stage, but I'll be damned if it isn't bloody entertaining. 4 stars.

Post #: 42
a war version of racing stripes. - 22/1/2012 6:13:21 PM   
frank123

Over-sentimental, too long, predictable and corny. What a waste of two and a half hours. Take a blanket and pillow and one of those things that you can use to do a wee in the car.

Post #: 43
I'm biased... - 23/1/2012 7:04:40 AM   
leroythemasochist

But this movie was just magic. The look of it was superb and the attention to detail was outstanding. The symbolism (thunder signifying heavy artillery, the mud of the field, ploughs turning into swords etc) was all present and correct. Also, here's an American director who doesn't paint every Brit as a snivelling, odious rat. Look at his past movies, he is respectful and knows that painting the world in stereotypes does nothing but harm.
WW1 was horrifically shown but also with touches of much needed humor and relief. I'm not ashamed to say I cried at times.
To those who think it is sentimental, give it a rest! They said that about ET and they were wrong then as they are now.
Yes, I am biased, because this is the man who made the films of my childhood, starting with Jaws, the first movie I ever saw at the cinema. Thank god someone's making quality films without bloody super heroes or crap robots!!
FIVE STARS.

Post #: 44
RE: I'm biased... - 24/1/2012 3:56:54 PM   
dolfinack

Bit dull and obvs super sentimental, but we all saw the trailers. The scenes in the trenches were best played out, pretty gripping and realistic, and the horsie is pretty cute doing all its bits. No films perfect, but can't say I wasn't entertained and that's all there is to it.

"I'm as human as the next man"

"Dad! I WAS the next man!"

(in reply to leroythemasochist)
Post #: 45
slightly bore horse - 24/1/2012 5:14:16 PM   
ericcoyle

Well, I found this rather disappointing. I want to be emotionally manipulated to the max when I see any film, otherwise what is the point? However, no one was really on screen long enough to get emotionally invested in, except the horse of course, and no one can talk to a horse of course except when it's Joey.
So although it did have some stunning imagery it also had very stage bound "exteriors" at one or two points and, given how hard it was trying to be a David Lean film, this completely destroyed my suspension of disbelief. The last few minutes were amongst the fakest "exterior" shots I think I have ever seen, like photoshop saturation levels gone mad. David Lean would have sat in the field and waited and waited for the light to be just right. A very lazy finish indeed. Anyone who thinks this is Spielberg at his best really needs to look at his early films again and Schindlers List in particular.

Post #: 46
Great film-warning film contains flaws. - 28/1/2012 5:00:11 PM   
lewisb548

Where do I start?
Steven Spielberg has made many years of my life more enjoyable he has graced both me and his fans with the brilliant Indiana Jones series, Jaws, ET, Saving Private Ryan, the Jurassic Parks, Schindlers list, Minority report, Catch me if you can, artificial intelligence,the terminal Munich, and the tintin movie oh an also! I'll stop there I could go on for ages, Spielberg has done all that he has been stalked by a crazy person, been the source of the 2002 white supremacist terror plot, he works with charitys, hes not racist, he's rich, he has seven kids (Commitment people), he's a movie buff like myself and to top it off, he is supposed to be a really nice guy.
Steven Spielberg may well be possibly the greatest director of all time and he has cool glasses.
Unlike many blockbusters today War Horse has the advantage of not being in 3D, you hear me right! That massive waste of time which causes us to wear clunky heavy and uncomfortable glasses-it also robs us of a lot of money but worst of all-the film usually doesn't use 3D to good use. War Horse is brilliant to say the least, Spielberg has blessed our screens with many classics which bring about the child inside of the adult, or the adult inside of the child-he lets us discover our inner explorer, he awakens the little nerd inside all of us-did I mention he has cool glasses? It deserves mentioning twice.
War Horse is an adaption from Michael Morpurgos hit book, I read the book and hated it and the only reason I watched this film was because Spielberg was directing.
Lucky for us the viewers the man we all know and love mr Steven Spielberg hasn't disappointed with his most recent directorial effort-war horse.
Adapted from the book by Michael Morpurgo- Morpurgos initial reaction was hell yes when he knew Spielberg was taking the reigns for directing duties and when he found out that a stage play was made of war horse his reaction was WTF-anyway War Horse tells the tale of Devon Boy Albert who raises, trains and bonds with a beatiful-amazing-horse he names Joey, but unfortunately when Alberts father has his reputation at risk, Albert goes to desperate measures to plow his field and pay the rent to the utter bastard landlord type guy who reminds me spookily of Lupin from Harry Potter. After all this though, times are still bad and Alberts father the well meaning Ted sells Joey to Captain Nicholls (Tom Hiddleston-Loki from Thor), but when the captain is killed, we see things from Joeys point of view as he switches owners frequently and goes on a brilliant/tragic journey throughout the battle stormed war, from the hands of Tom Hiddleston to two german brothers (David Kross and Leonard Carow-he played the young Ralph Fiennes in 2008's 'the reader'), lets just say the two brothers dont exactly get a fairytale ending, along the way Joey bonds with a giant black horse, and goes from the hands of a grandfather and his cute,stubborn yet loveable grand daughter Emilie both played by (Neil Arestrup and Celine Buckens), their story doesn't end on a happy note. And then the story kind of flits from character to character whether it be Tobey Kebell who appears just for the sake of adding humanity to this film or if it is a german soldier guy who loves horses.
And while all this is happening we kind of forget about Albert-so does Spielberg in a way and we only catch up with him at least half an hour towards the end of the film.
The storys premise has clearly stated that Albert goes on a magical quest to find his horse-he does fuck all-he joins the army-thats it, I would not count staying in a dark filthy fucking trench as a magical journey nor would I approve of such a disney-ish journey taking place in such a shit hole.
The first act moves along at a fairly slow pace but this gives us time too connect with Joey and Albert and the obvious bond they share together-until Albert disappears for the next hour or so. 2004's Crash faced a similair problem when it employed several intertwining stories of illegal immigrants- the problem director of Crash- Paul Haggis- had was that he gave little attention to some of the main characters and racial stereotyping took place- the same happens here- it's weird how little sympathy the germans get- they dont get happy endings in this- most of them got blown up in Saving Private Ryan- and in a brutal assault upon a german camp led by Tom Hiddleston-before he gets shot- and he is joined by Benedict Cumberbatch who shows up very briefly before disppearing-atleats he gave it his best shot-and then presumbaly got shot for real. In this deadly assualt you cant help feeling sorry for the germans who get sliced and diced by swordsmen riding out of the long grass (Reminiscent of the long grass attack from Jurrassic Park 2)- but the poor germans no one feels sympathy for you guys even when you get sliced and diced- but worst of all you were interrupted during your breakfast. As we all know Spielberg has experience with blowing things up-we learned that from Saving Private Ryan- and some of the battle scenes in this are reminiscent of the D-day massacre in SVP. Act 1 introduces Albert. Act 2 forgets about him and shows us more morbidly depressing stories before finally in the 3rd act bringing us to the battle field of the somme in 1918 where Joey truly becomes a war horse hopping from trench to trench and galloping through the battle field doing the audience proud- while the battle scenes in their rarity add some brutality to this flick- this is stll the kind of film you could watch with your gran or your mum- but knowing my gran she'd be asleep within the first hour-maybe even the first half an hour.
John Williams lends his musical abilitys to this cinema outing but his tunes in this are hardly as memorable as that of Jaws and Indy. Shame on you John Williams!
One scene in particular deserves some mention when Joey becomes entangled in barbed wire and Tobey Kebell is the only soldier brave enough to go help him-at this point neither the germans nor the brits can be bothered to shoot at each other any more.
Kebell and a german soldier confront each other in No mans land and un-tangle Joey setting him free- this scene is both touching and funny and adds some much needed warmth and humanity to the film-it truly was beatiful-this film is a spectacle and that scene in particular poked fun at the famous Christmas Day football match in the trenches.
When we were kids we all watched disney films and we were entranced by the fairy tale endings and beatiful scenery-war horse has that fell- it rekindles the child within us and makes us fell young again- it is the gift of life and Spielberg has given life he has injected life into a book that was so boring I wanted to burn it- War Horse is up for six oscars and deserves every one- the major oscar injustice being that Spielberg didn't get a nomination for best director but alas there cant always be winners-in this case being the germans in this film- and Alberts best mate-(Gassed to death in the trenches-gutted), but despite this-amidst the chaos hope comes riding out of the mist- hope being the central theme of this movie which both entrances and entices the young viewer inside of us-and while at times the performances and story border on the corny and ridiculous we are treated to a truly amazing spectacle which benefits from brilliant cinematography and a good sense of charm from new comer Jeremy Irvine (Albert) that seems so far away in films today- its easily one of the best films of the year so far and it proves to be an interesting watch. 9.3/10. 4.4 stars. Good Stuff.

Post #: 47
RE: War Horse - 28/1/2012 5:03:24 PM   
Ref

4 stars from me.

I enjoyed the film, but agree that the best set pieces were of the War itself. So very harrowing and depressing, but superbly shot.

I was one who had not read the book and not seen the play, so went into the film spoiler free. Yes, it's overly sentimental, but I think it needed to be.

Must say I think the Joey and Topthorn friendship was filmed masterfully.

< Message edited by Ref -- 28/1/2012 5:49:20 PM >

Viewers of a nervous disposition may be interested to know that your television is off and I am speaking to you from inside your head...

Hugh Dennis, Mock the Week

Icon created by the talented JaD

(in reply to ericcoyle)
Post #: 48
RE: War Horse - 29/1/2012 11:35:55 PM   
narmour

Now there's 2 hours and 26 minutes I'll never get back. Was half expecting the incredibly irritating idiot lead to start calling his mate Mr Frodo. And the bit where some other instantly forgettable character started washing the horses feet was a bit too much of a Jesus reference for me. Fucking hell Steven Spielberg you really will pump out the biggest pile of sentimental shite in order to suck the cocks of the Oscars panel. Christ if this gets an Oscar...

Minus 20 out of ten. Worst film ever. I'm actually angry at how shit that was.

Post #: 49
RE: War Horse - 30/1/2012 3:12:17 PM   
Timon

quote:

ORIGINAL: narmour And the bit where some other instantly forgettable character started washing the horses feet was a bit too much of a Jesus reference for me.

You must have been looking incredibly hard for Jesus references...

quote:

Minus 20 out of ten. Worst film ever. I'm actually angry at how shit that was.

You sir, amuse me.

(in reply to narmour)
Post #: 50
RE: War Horse - 30/1/2012 3:17:20 PM   
rawlinson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Timon

You sir, amuse me.

Why? I agree with him, genuinely made me angry in a way that few films do. It's at a Forrest Gump level of sentimental shit.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 51
RE: War Horse - 30/1/2012 3:20:22 PM   
Timon

quote:

ORIGINAL: rawlinson

quote:

You sir, amuse me.

Why? I agree with him, genuinely made me angry in a way that few films do. It's at a Forrest Gump level of sentimental shit.

But were you expecting anything less from Steven Spielberg and a story about a boy and his beloved horse?

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 52
RE: War Horse - 30/1/2012 3:23:52 PM   
rawlinson

But I don't see that as an excuse. You can make a film about the relationships between people and an animal and not have it be sentimental. Au Hasard Balthazar is a perfect example of that. What makes me angry about War Horse is that there's nothing in the writing but cheap sentiment and attempts at big moments. I've been ranting about how bad War Horse is for days.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 53
RE: War Horse - 30/1/2012 3:27:38 PM   
MartinBlank76

My main problem with the film was that the main character was a horse which we were all meant to be as amazed at and in love with as the characters in the film were.

And I wasnt.

So in terms of animals in lead roles in films - pigs good, monkeys good, dogs good, horses bad.

I'm just a fella. I think beer should be cold and boots should be dusty. I think 911 was bad. And freedom? Well, I think thats just a little bit better.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 54
RE: War Horse - 30/1/2012 3:30:01 PM   
rawlinson

quote:

ORIGINAL: MartinBlank76

My main problem with the film was that the main character was a horse which we were all meant to be as amazed at and in love with as the characters in the film were.

And I wasnt.

This. And part of the problem was that we were told over and over how wonderful he was. It would have been a lot easier to swallow if we'd just been shown it.

(in reply to MartinBlank76)
Post #: 55
RE: War Horse - 30/1/2012 3:31:48 PM   
Timon

quote:

But I don't see that as an excuse. You can make a film about the relationships between people and an animal and not have it be sentimental.

But what's wrong with sentimental?

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 56
RE: War Horse - 30/1/2012 3:36:48 PM   
rawlinson

quote:

quote:

But I don't see that as an excuse. You can make a film about the relationships between people and an animal and not have it be sentimental.

But what's wrong with sentimental?

Nothing in general. But when it's excessive, especially in the arts, it can be lazy and used as a way to get a quick and easy emotional reaction. It can also be used to paper over the lack of any real emotional depth in the work. And that's how I saw War Horse, a shallow film with no real emotional depth but buckets of sentiment.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 57
RE: War Horse - 30/1/2012 4:13:27 PM   
impqueen

quote:

And I wasnt.

So in terms of animals in lead roles in films - pigs good, monkeys good, dogs good, horses bad.

I don’t know I was pretty distraught when Artax (Atreyu’s horse) is over come with sadness in the Swamps of Sadness and is sucked up by it.  

Yes, always.

Post #: 58
RE: War Horse - 30/1/2012 4:22:13 PM   
elab49

quote:

And I wasnt.

And yet Black Beauty is one of the most beloved of childrens' books. And kids literature for young girls is chock full of horses - the Follyfoots, the National Velvets, the Pullein-Thompsons.

None of which are as nauseating as this.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

Post #: 59
RE: War Horse - 30/1/2012 4:23:58 PM   
rawlinson

And let's not forget Mr. Ed. 

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: War Horse - Classic Spielberg Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI