Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Akira's Been Shut Down. Again.

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> Akira's Been Shut Down. Again. Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Akira's Been Shut Down. Again. - 6/1/2012 9:54:06 AM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
Good! - 6/1/2012 9:54:06 AM   
Nicky C

It's a deeply beloved work that would be easy to get wrong, especially if you make the MISTAKE of trying to dilute it for tweenagers. I think the problem is that they're trying to load a franchise (as ever) when they should just be concerned about making a movie that people want to see.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
Y'know what? GIVE ME THE JOB! - 6/1/2012 9:57:19 AM   
alsybroth

I'll pen a script for them if they want! I'll keep it hard-R rated, split into 2 films, keep it faithful to the 6-book manga, set it in Neo-TOKYO with Japanese or Japanese-american actors but spoken all in English (if its done in oscar-winning holocaust films, you can do it in science-fantasy flicks, OK?). Right there I've just saved you millions of $$ from expensive A-list actor fees, location fees, saved time on creative decision-making changes, given you 2 flicks for the price of one kept the arseached fanboys happy.

Post #: 3
It shouldn't be live action anyway, a CGI update would ... - 6/1/2012 10:24:40 AM   
boredbluekoala

A film of this scope for $70 million, I don't think that can be done, I mean that awful Tom Hanks/Julia Roberts 'comedy' cost $30 million, and it had no effects, no huge sets, no broad canvas (and no comedy)

Post #: 4
RE: It shouldn't be live action anyway, a CGI update wo... - 6/1/2012 10:52:25 AM   
Osric

quote:

ORIGINAL: boredbluekoala

that awful Tom Hanks/Julia Roberts 'comedy' cost $30 million, and it had no effects, no huge sets, no broad canvas (and no comedy)

No but it had Tom Hanks and Julia Roberts. Hanks's going rate for work is $15m and Robert's is $10m so that's your budget right there. If they put not superstars in akira that shouldn't be a problem

(in reply to boredbluekoala)
Post #: 5
RE: It shouldn't be live action anyway, a CGI update wo... - 6/1/2012 10:58:20 AM   
alsybroth

Yeah, but d'ya know what DID have state-of-the-art CGI effects and action sequences, huge sets, broad canvas, heavy themes and hard R-rated violence all for just $30m? District 9. And it was a box-office smash.

< Message edited by alsybroth -- 6/1/2012 11:01:57 AM >

(in reply to boredbluekoala)
Post #: 6
As Professor Farnsworths says in Futurama - - 6/1/2012 12:30:23 PM   
Taz69

'Good news everybody'.
A live action version always a bad idea and amazingly there's a bright spark at Warners saw this and used the 'cancelled for budgetary reasons' excuse.

Post #: 7
- 6/1/2012 1:18:19 PM   
kitfisto

GOOD, with any luck this totally pointless remake will never ever been made. This is the best piece of film news i've heard in a long time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post #: 8
Boring! - 6/1/2012 6:40:12 PM   
dannyfletch

This is probably a sign that this idea should be scraped! The pointless mainstream hollywood remakes are getting so tedious now. If you want Akira stick to the original Manga!

Post #: 9
Here here! - 7/1/2012 1:29:52 PM   
Nicky C

The recently released Blu Ray/DVD is mint! Just get that ... and then the books if you want to go deeper.

Post #: 10
Still unsure - 7/1/2012 11:39:12 PM   
onthemightofprinces

I would like to see a live-action remake of Akira, but I really think an American studio is the wrong way to go. The likes of Night Watch and Death Note have shown that blockbuster-quality films can be made by studios outside Hollywood, so why not let a Japanese studio develop the film, ask them to film it in English, and give them $20mil or so, and I'm sure they'd do a fantastic job and you've got a film you can market in America.

Post #: 11
Still unsure - 7/1/2012 11:39:20 PM   
onthemightofprinces

I would like to see a live-action remake of Akira, but I really think an American studio is the wrong way to go. The likes of Night Watch and Death Note have shown that blockbuster-quality films can be made by studios outside Hollywood, so why not let a Japanese studio develop the film, ask them to film it in English, and give them $20mil or so, and I'm sure they'd do a fantastic job and you've got a film you can market in America.

Post #: 12
This could be the best news ever this year!!! - 8/1/2012 6:36:57 PM   
BubbaGump Shrimps

Bout time they dropped it. Just look at the "remake" of The Thing!!!
Still, was a little curious on how it would look! It could look amazing, but garanteed, let down by an awful script!

Post #: 13
Well... - 10/1/2012 6:15:36 PM   
Kickflip

...it's one less film for Kristen Stewart to mope her way through.

Post #: 14
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> Akira's Been Shut Down. Again. Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI