Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Marvel Graphic Novel Collection

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Bookworms >> The Comic Shack >> RE: Marvel Graphic Novel Collection Page: <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Marvel Graphic Novel Collection - 31/1/2012 8:46:16 AM   
Jaded_Parrot

Finished X-men off last night and polished off Iron Man as well. Proper impressed with Iron Man too great peice of art and great story....

(in reply to Darth Marenghi)
Post #: 151
RE: Marvel Graphic Novel Collection - 31/1/2012 7:38:00 PM   
Chojin

quote:

ORIGINAL: Vadersville

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chojin

Seems I didn't need to call them - I received issues 2 and 3 today as well as.....

1 x POW mug smashed to bits in the box. The disappointing sound of broken china didn't sound very promising.
1 x Hulk DVD which i'll probably end up getting <50p for from CEX (I own the blu-ray)

Impressed with the 2nd and 3rd issues though, they look great.

Second Class post for both items though? no wonder they are taking so fucking long - cheap bastards.

Yeah, I too noticed the second class postage. Got my mug seperately today, intact unlike yours but I've since had a proper look at my Incredible Hulk DVD and the case is shattered. Had to change it for another before giving it to the missus (I too own the blu-ray). Have only started Dark Phoneix so far. I'm finding it hard to get into to be honest. I appreciate its an older comic so you have to take it as of its time but theres so much text on each page that sometimes I feel the panels are more like illustrations in a book than an actual comic. Still I'll stick with it and you can immediately see the influence this arc has had on several of the X-Men films.

I'm struggling as well......i'm all for a 'classic' comic and a bit of vintage but I won't blindly adore something based on mass opinion. I'm one issue in so far i'm finding it hard going and it is a complete change of pace from the first issue.

....which is why I didn't object when I heard it was only covering the 80's onwards!

http://chojin.devour.org - Mixes, Contact, Etc
XBL/PSN - Chojin22000

(in reply to Vadersville)
Post #: 152
RE: Marvel Graphic Novel Collection - 31/1/2012 8:44:53 PM   
Vadersville

Just read that Dark Phoneix was originally published in 1980, that could explain why it feels more dated than other 80s comics I've read. That early into the decade it probably has more in common with the 1970s comics than 80s. That said, I am still enjoying it, it's just not gripping me the way something like Batman - A Beath in the Family (1988) did.

< Message edited by Vadersville -- 31/1/2012 8:45:23 PM >

Confusion is a way of life, not a state of mind

(in reply to Chojin)
Post #: 153
RE: Marvel Graphic Novel Collection - 1/2/2012 1:05:15 PM   
Wild about Wilder

Found a tenner yesterday walked in to Smithys found they still had 2 copies of The Dark Phoenix RESULT! that a lottery ticket & 3 packs of Mars Planets for £2 in Poundland & still 1p up that's what I call a good day.

Post #: 154
RE: Marvel Graphic Novel Collection - 6/2/2012 5:37:01 PM   
davelipscombe

Got Issue 3, 4, DVD and mug in the post today. Lovely stuff! Found myself looking forward to these all month after Dark Phoenix.

(in reply to Wild about Wilder)
Post #: 155
RE: Marvel Graphic Novel Collection - 8/2/2012 8:54:28 PM   
Chojin

If they weren't so fucking shocking I would laugh. Yet more fuck ups from the land of frog eaters.

E-mail #1)

Subscriber Number: SC####                                      Starting Issue Number: 2

Thank you for subscribing to The Art of Quilting. We hope that you are enjoying your collection so far and that your projects are coming along nicely.  

We would like to email you a quick reminder to ensure that you have your login details for the exclusive bonus content you can find on our Art of Quilting Website, at www.artofquilting.co.uk/members-zone. If you have already received your ‘Welcome Letter’, then you will find all of the details you need on there also. 

The details you will need to access the bonus online content are;

....panic. What have those fuckers done now!

E-mail #2:

Dear Sir or Madam,

Please accept our sincere apologies for the email that you have just received, it was sent in error intended for a different recipient. 

Please disregard the contents of the previous email, and accept our assurances that no subscription has been set up for you, for The Art of Quilting.

Apologies again, 

The Publisher

They really couldn't be more awful if they tried could they?

XBL/PSN - Chojin22000

(in reply to davelipscombe)
Post #: 156
RE: Marvel Graphic Novel Collection - 9/2/2012 5:19:54 PM   
Harry Tuttle

quote:

They really couldn't be more awful if they tried could they?

No they couldn't.

I'm still waiting for issues 2 and 3 to be delivered. I emailed them a good while back now and haven't heard anything from them so as far as I'm concerned they gan go fuck themselves. Issue 4 is in the shops now so I'd be fucked for getting the 2 I've already missed.

Fuck it, I'll just buy the original releases of the ones I actually like the look of.

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Blood Island. So called because it's the exact shape of some blood

(in reply to Chojin)
Post #: 157
RE: Marvel Graphic Novel Collection - 9/2/2012 6:13:04 PM   
directorscut

quote:

quote:

quote:

Seems I didn't need to call them - I received issues 2 and 3 today as well as.....

1 x POW mug smashed to bits in the box. The disappointing sound of broken china didn't sound very promising.
1 x Hulk DVD which i'll probably end up getting <50p for from CEX (I own the blu-ray)

Second Class post for both items though? no wonder they are taking so fucking long - cheap bastards.

Yeah, I too noticed the second class postage. Got my mug seperately today, intact unlike yours but I've since had a proper look at my Incredible Hulk DVD and the case is shattered. Had to change it for another before giving it to the missus (I too own the blu-ray). Have only started Dark Phoneix so far. I'm finding it hard to get into to be honest. I appreciate its an older comic so you have to take it as of its time but theres so much text on each page that sometimes I feel the panels are more like illustrations in a book than an actual comic. Still I'll stick with it and you can immediately see the influence this arc has had on several of the X-Men films.

I'm struggling as well......i'm all for a 'classic' comic and a bit of vintage but I won't blindly adore something based on mass opinion. I'm one issue in so far i'm finding it hard going and it is a complete change of pace from the first issue.

....which is why I didn't object when I heard it was only covering the 80's onwards!

quote:

Just read that Dark Phoneix was originally published in 1980, that could explain why it feels more dated than other 80s comics I've read. That early into the decade it probably has more in common with the 1970s comics than 80s. That said, I am still enjoying it, it's just not gripping me the way something like Batman - A Beath in the Family (1988) did.

This is what Joss Whedon has done to people.

< Message edited by directorscut -- 9/2/2012 6:14:43 PM >

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.

(in reply to Chojin)
Post #: 158
RE: Marvel Graphic Novel Collection - 9/2/2012 9:54:08 PM   
Chojin

The only Joss Whedon I own is the Astonishing X-Men Vol 1-3 and I thought it was average at best. I really can't see how he was breaking the mold with the series at all. Jim Lee had a far greater impact in the 90's with his re-designs.

I guess I look at it as what I prefer. If a copy of Invincible, The Walking Dead, Y The Last Man, The Boys or any other modern comic was put in front of me together with Dark Phoenix I would never pick DP over the others. Some things age well, some don't.

I know a lot of people will disagree but i'd rather state what I think than submit to the masses

XBL/PSN - Chojin22000

(in reply to directorscut)
Post #: 159
RE: Marvel Graphic Novel Collection - 10/2/2012 8:53:18 PM   
Vadersville

quote:

ORIGINAL: directorscut

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Just read that Dark Phoneix was originally published in 1980, that could explain why it feels more dated than other 80s comics I've read. That early into the decade it probably has more in common with the 1970s comics than 80s. That said, I am still enjoying it, it's just not gripping me the way something like Batman - A Death in the Family (1988) did.

This is what Joss Whedon has done to people.

Don't understand what you're on about at all. I haven't even read any Joss Whedon comics...

(in reply to directorscut)
Post #: 160
RE: Marvel Graphic Novel Collection - 11/2/2012 12:19:17 PM   
juanvasquez

It's been almost a month since I received issue 1, which itself took nearly a month, and I am still yet to receive issues 2 or 3.

Check out my cult games reviews and features at Horror Cult Films

Post #: 161
RE: Marvel Graphic Novel Collection - 11/2/2012 12:48:53 PM   
Harry Tuttle

quote:

ORIGINAL: juanvasquez

It's been almost a month since I received issue 1, which itself took nearly a month, and I am still yet to receive issues 2 or 3.

Same here. I've given up on them to be honest. They're a fucking joke of a company, I've been waiting a fortnight now for a reply to my email. I would try phoning them but it wouldn't be fair on the person on the other side of the phone having to deal with my wrath. It's not their fault they work for a company with such shit service.

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

(in reply to juanvasquez)
Post #: 162
RE: Marvel Graphic Novel Collection - 11/2/2012 6:05:04 PM   
Chojin

I've also been doing some measurements for this collection and my bookshelves will only fit 50 of the issues at best. To be able to display all 60 together will require a monumental bookshelf......

XBL/PSN - Chojin22000

(in reply to Harry Tuttle)
Post #: 163
RE: Marvel Graphic Novel Collection - 13/2/2012 10:53:01 AM   
russella0

I'm still awaiting Issue 2 and 3 as well - after receiving issue one ages ago.

When I checked their website this morning I can see 02 and 03 and a charge of £6.99.

But also, rather worringly is 2 entries for 'out of stock letter' so God knows what they're sending me.

Also - I would have expected to see a charge for issue 3 ? Or do we get a free issue being subscribers ?

I emailed them ages ago to find out when a new dispatch was coming and never got a reply.

I'd tell them to get stuffed except I suspect demand for this series will fall away after a while and it'll be us die hards that collect the whole thing - in my experience WH Smith stop stocking this kind of stuff after a while. I'd guess Forbidden Planet would keep getting it though.

My other worry is that if demand falls off too badly they'll cancel the series before the end :(.

Another guy in my office subscribed not long after me and I think he's still waiting for issue one !

Cheers, Andy

(in reply to Chojin)
Post #: 164
RE: Marvel Graphic Novel Collection - 13/2/2012 4:32:50 PM   
juanvasquez

Issue 3 is FOC meaning the total for the first 3 issues is £9.98. And that's all they'll be charging me as once I FINALLY get 2 & 3, I'm cancelling, as I'm not paying £20 a month for something that's always gonna turn up late.

(in reply to russella0)
Post #: 165
RE: Marvel Graphic Novel Collection - 13/2/2012 6:39:41 PM   
Vadersville

Saw Issue 3 in Smiths the other day. Slightly confused as it lists Captain America Winter Soldier as the next one not Spider-Man: Birth of Venom. I'm also a bit disappointed now I see that the Wolverine title isn'tt the Mark Miller omnibus I was hoping for.

< Message edited by Vadersville -- 13/2/2012 10:37:55 PM >

Post #: 166
RE: Marvel Graphic Novel Collection - 15/2/2012 8:38:25 PM   
kata

Just subbed up from issue 2. Got 1 in the shop when it was released. What will happen now will I get all those that I missed to get up to date or will I forever be a few issues behind?

Be nice to have the full collection for my son in a few years time when he's the right age to read and enjoy them all.

XBL: GeneralLee79
PSN: GeneralLee_UK
Steam: GeneralLee_uk

Lovely detective work.

"Don't buy wigs that come off at the wrong time"

Post #: 167
RE: Marvel Graphic Novel Collection - 16/2/2012 11:30:59 AM   
Harry Tuttle

Just received this

quote:

Dear Mr X

Thank you for your email, please accept my apologies for the delayed response.

Subscriber Number: XXXX

Please be advised that we have received your first payment and issues 2 and 3 will be sent out on the 20th February. Please allow 174 - 28 days for delivery.

Please do not hesitate to contact us should you require further assistance.

Yours sincerely,

Marelize Leiding

Customer Care

Bit in bold is truer than they'd like to admit.

That's a reply to an email I sent 2 weeks ago. They received payment a month ago and still haven't sent anything out. I realise they must have had more subscribers than they were expecting but come one, there are people on here who have already received issues 2 and 3. Hell issue 4 is in the fucking shops.

I dunno if I'm going to bother with them after the next delivery, they're seriously pissing me off.

< Message edited by Harry Tuttle -- 16/2/2012 11:35:36 AM >

Acting...Naturaaal

(in reply to kata)
Post #: 168
RE: Marvel Graphic Novel Collection - 16/2/2012 3:53:43 PM   
davelipscombe

FYI someone on a similar thread on AV Forums posted this - might be of use to some of you.

Just going back to the Marvel Graphic Novels partwork set, I contacted Hachette's London offices, and finally got my subscription sorted out! They apologised profusely about the problems, but did explain they were over-subscribed, (far more than they anticipated), and as such, the website and their phone and e-mail help systems, have been unable to cope with the heavy demand. Good for the publication of the partwork, not so great for the customers who are trying to subscribe.

If you need help, or are having problems, I'd heartily recommend you speak to them on: 0207-014-5950 and they will probably be able to rectify any problems you may be having. If they can't sort the problem(s) out there-and-then, they will get someone to call you back, within two-to-three hours, who can.

Post #: 169
RE: Marvel Graphic Novel Collection - 18/2/2012 4:29:05 PM   
juanvasquez

I got the mug today!

No more comics as of yet but its getting somewhere, right?

(in reply to davelipscombe)
Post #: 170
RE: Marvel Graphic Novel Collection - 19/2/2012 12:20:53 PM   
Vadersville

Finished Iron man yesterday. Don't really see what the fuss is all about. Nothing really happens. Iron Man runs to the enemy. Iron Man gets beaten up by the enemy. Iron Man upgrades. iron beats up enemy. The end. And the whole organic Iron man suit DNA reconstruction is such a balls idea. Didn't think the artwork was that great either. Some of the expressions were unintentionally hilarious. So far, i've been disapointed with Issues 2 and 3 and absolutley loved Issue 1. Hoping that The Ultimates and Birth of Venom (if they're still the next two issues) will be much better.

Post #: 171
RE: Marvel Graphic Novel Collection - 19/2/2012 9:30:27 PM   
benmharper

quote:

Finished Iron man yesterday. Don't really see what the fuss is all about. Nothing really happens. Iron Man runs to the enemy. Iron Man gets beaten up by the enemy. Iron Man upgrades. iron beats up enemy. The end. And the whole organic Iron man suit DNA reconstruction is such a balls idea. Didn't think the artwork was that great either. Some of the expressions were unintentionally hilarious. So far, i've been disapointed with Issues 2 and 3 and absolutley loved Issue 1. Hoping that The Ultimates and Birth of Venom (if they're still the next two issues) will be much better.

The Ultimates is defo no4. My issues 3+4 turned up last weekend along with the DVD and mug. I quite enjoyed The Ultimates and am currently part way through Spiderman - Coming Home. Having not read much Spiderman (or much Marvel really, apart from Daredevil) I'm loving it so far

#3 member of The Wire fan club. PM Dantes Inferno to join.

Post #: 172
RE: Marvel Graphic Novel Collection - 23/2/2012 7:39:43 PM   
Harry Tuttle

Bloody hell, issues 2 and 3 arrived today

No free gifts though, apparently they're out of stock and they'll send them on with my next delivery.

Should get them sometime in April then .

Acting...Naturaaal

(in reply to benmharper)
Post #: 173
RE: Marvel Graphic Novel Collection - 23/2/2012 8:05:15 PM   
Chojin

I received my bookends today (had them re-delivered to work, too big for my letterbox) but no sign of issues 4+5 which i've received a letter for.

XBL/PSN - Chojin22000

Post #: 174
RE: Marvel Graphic Novel Collection - 23/2/2012 9:01:16 PM   
elab49

quote:

ORIGINAL: benmharper

quote:

The Ultimates is defo no4. My issues 3+4 turned up last weekend along with the DVD and mug. I quite enjoyed The Ultimates and am currently part way through Spiderman - Coming Home. Having not read much Spiderman (or much Marvel really, apart from Daredevil) I'm loving it so far

And Birth of Venom is no 5 - it was in WH Smiths yesterday.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to benmharper)
Post #: 175
RE: Marvel Graphic Novel Collection - 24/2/2012 10:05:14 AM   
russella0

I got issues 2 and 3 yesterday (AT LAST!) - no free gifts as someone else pointed out but I couldn't care less about them as long as I'm getting the books through.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 176
RE: Marvel Graphic Novel Collection - 24/2/2012 8:06:12 PM   
juanvasquez

I got home to issues 2 & 3, as well! But it was also complete with the copy of TIH dvd. When do we get the manbag?

(in reply to russella0)
Post #: 177
RE: Marvel Graphic Novel Collection - 24/2/2012 8:07:20 PM   
Vadersville

Got Issues 4 & 5 today. Decided to use my free bookends with the issues I have so far, and one bent under the weight....

Post #: 178
RE: Marvel Graphic Novel Collection - 27/2/2012 5:51:59 PM   
Chojin

quote:

Got Issues 4 & 5 today. Decided to use my free bookends with the issues I have so far, and one bent under the weight....

I also received 4+5. My postie left them behind my wheelie bin and luckily no-one nicked them. Seems he's getting tired of writing out those notifications. I could always be a twunt and try and get repeat products shipped claiming I didn't receive them....but i'd rather stay on good terms with the postie in the long run.

Really looking forward to Venom. I've surprisingly never read it before even though i'm a huge spidey fan, it's huge again like Dark Phoenix.

The ultimates i've read before but it's good enough to read again.

XBL/PSN - Chojin22000

Post #: 179
RE: Marvel Graphic Novel Collection - 27/2/2012 5:59:33 PM   
juanvasquez

I was gonna cancel this after I got 2 and 3 as I was fed up with waiting etc. But they were brilliant, so impeccably presented, too. I think I'll give them one more chance.

(in reply to Chojin)
Post #: 180
Page:   <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Bookworms >> The Comic Shack >> RE: Marvel Graphic Novel Collection Page: <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI