Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Marvel Graphic Novel Collection

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Bookworms >> The Comic Shack >> Marvel Graphic Novel Collection Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Marvel Graphic Novel Collection - 4/1/2012 8:11:42 PM   
ChickMagnet

So its that time of year again where there's a weekly 'magazine' that comes with a free gift (you know the type - its a part towards your model air-plane, a figurine, a DVD, that kind of thing), now usually I avoid that kind of thing as a plague, particularly as you're getting into a fecking long commitment and after a couple of weeks they jack the price up.

However - this year its reprints of Marvel Graphic Novels which yes, they're jacking the price up for (its 2.99 this week, 6.99 next and then 9.99 every week after for what will total a 60 week run), and walking past my local Smiths this lunch I saw it and picked up issue one which is Spiderman Coming Home, then reading the stuff that comes with it, next week is X-Men Dark Phoenix, and all of a sudden I'm tempted to collect them all so that the binders would all match, etc.

So my question is, am I going to be the lone Empire-ite doing this or is anyone else tempted?
Post #: 1
RE: Marvel Graphic Novel Collection - 4/1/2012 8:20:38 PM   
juanvasquez

This has been discussed in a couple of other threads, but I've subscribed, for the first 3 issues at least (3rd issue is free making it 9.98 in total, and you get Incredible Hulk on DVD plus some other tat), but it's 20 a month after that so I'm not sure if I'll continue as I can't really afford it. Luckily you can cancel whenever so if it does end up costing too much I can just stop.

Check out my cult games reviews and features at Horror Cult Films

(in reply to ChickMagnet)
Post #: 2
RE: Marvel Graphic Novel Collection - 5/1/2012 7:34:44 AM   
Chojin

I've subscribed and provided the price doesn't increase further (likely) i'll be sticking with it. I for one think the price is reasonable for what you're getting.

I'm just hoping for 'modern age' stories from the 90's onward. I've read Dark Pheonix before so that will be nothing new but I haven't read many of the others that have been announced.

http://chojin.devour.org - Mixes, Contact, Etc
XBL/PSN - Chojin22000

(in reply to juanvasquez)
Post #: 3
RE: Marvel Graphic Novel Collection - 5/1/2012 12:38:00 PM   
ChickMagnet

Out of interest how often are the issues? I assumed they were weekly but a 20 a month sub suggests fortnightly to me - if thats the case I'm subbing!

(in reply to Chojin)
Post #: 4
RE: Marvel Graphic Novel Collection - 5/1/2012 1:06:50 PM   
Wild about Wilder

Got the 1st one will probably get the 2nd then pick & choose after that. Fingers crossed for the Kree/Skrull War

Post #: 5
RE: Marvel Graphic Novel Collection - 5/1/2012 2:07:46 PM   
Rebenectomy

Got the first, will likely get the rest if my shop continued to get them in and I've cash to spare.

Body Hair Beautiful: An Armpits for August Special
http://www.lipstogetherandblow.com/2013/07/body-beautiful.html

(in reply to Wild about Wilder)
Post #: 6
RE: Marvel Graphic Novel Collection - 5/1/2012 2:14:51 PM   
Harry Tuttle

I wanted to try before subscribing but living in bumfuck, North Wales I was unable to find anywhere that had it in stock. I decided to go for the sub in the end, 20 a month is reasonable for what you're getting and it's easy enough to cancel if you feel you're not getting your money's worth. Still waiting for issue 1 at the mo though.

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Blood Island. So called because it's the exact shape of some blood

(in reply to Rebenectomy)
Post #: 7
RE: Marvel Graphic Novel Collection - 5/1/2012 8:43:39 PM   
juanvasquez

Same here. Has anyone who subscribed online received this yet? I appreciate that they can take time, but I'm impatient and stuff.

(in reply to Harry Tuttle)
Post #: 8
RE: Marvel Graphic Novel Collection - 5/1/2012 8:47:47 PM   
Nexus Wookie

quote:

ORIGINAL: Harry Tuttle

I wanted to try before subscribing but living in bumfuck, North Wales I was unable to find anywhere that had it in stock. I decided to go for the sub in the end, 20 a month is reasonable for what you're getting and it's easy enough to cancel if you feel you're not getting your money's worth. Still waiting for issue 1 at the mo though.

Is there really such a place called 'Bumfuck' in Wales?

My blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

Post #: 9
RE: Marvel Graphic Novel Collection - 5/1/2012 11:10:01 PM   
petecriss8000

Couldn't find any in Crewe but chanced upon Asda's last copy in Manchester. I have to admit, for a Panini book it's of a really high quality and I may end up collecting more of these after next week's Dark Phoenix.

(in reply to Nexus Wookie)
Post #: 10
RE: Marvel Graphic Novel Collection - 6/1/2012 1:45:21 AM   
Noirdeathe

To someone that has seen one of these (I am yet to) can anyone tell me the quality and the content of the hardbacks? I find it hard to believe they're going to be giving a subscription for 9.99 per two weeks for a book that is about 15 right off the bat. I am expecting some sort of scam where the hardback is about 50 pages and A5 sized.

(in reply to petecriss8000)
Post #: 11
RE: Marvel Graphic Novel Collection - 6/1/2012 7:29:54 AM   
Chojin

quote:

ORIGINAL: Noirdeathe

To someone that has seen one of these (I am yet to) can anyone tell me the quality and the content of the hardbacks? I find it hard to believe they're going to be giving a subscription for 9.99 per two weeks for a book that is about 15 right off the bat. I am expecting some sort of scam where the hardback is about 50 pages and A5 sized.

It's the standard hardback size and fits in with any other TPB on your shelf. (for example on my shelf I have Batman Hush and World War Hulk which it lines up with to name a random two). The quality is the same you would expect from any shop bought hardback minus the dust sleeve.

The future issues that have been announced look to be at least 6 issues each with some releases containing 8 issues (birth of venom contains 8 issues with one of them being ASM #300 which I believe is a double issue making the count closer to 9 issues) but there's nothing stopping them having a few four issues books in there as the full lineup hasn't been announced. There's also nothing stopping them upping the price once people are half way in and commited.

These are the only ways I can see it becoming a 'scam'

XBL/PSN - Chojin22000

(in reply to Noirdeathe)
Post #: 12
RE: Marvel Graphic Novel Collection - 6/1/2012 8:52:21 AM   
petecriss8000

For some reason I had presumed there were only 30 books slated for release but the booklet that comes with the first issue (confusingly numbered 21 on its spine) makes mention of a 55th book, so we're looking at more than a year for this whole collection.

I wonder if they'll be collecting anything that's not been put in trades before?

(in reply to Chojin)
Post #: 13
RE: Marvel Graphic Novel Collection - 6/1/2012 12:29:22 PM   
ChickMagnet

On the picture of the whole collection lined up to show the picture on the spine I counted the books - there's 60 issues!

(in reply to petecriss8000)
Post #: 14
RE: Marvel Graphic Novel Collection - 6/1/2012 7:07:27 PM   
Vadersville

Just picked up the first issue for 2.99 and I have to say I am very impressed with the quality of the book. Inside was a little flyer for subscribing which says if I subscribe within 10 days and pay by direct debit I will get the third issue free and also receive: a POW! mug, Incredible Hulk DVD, Wham! shoulder bag and ZAP! bookends free as well. PLUS I can cancel at anytime. Seems too good to be true. So I look over it again and find on a second flyer that it says I have to give 28 days notice when cancelling if I pay by direct debit... Does this mean that that I have to pay 19.98 and not get anything? Or could I receive Issue 2, then cancel immeditaely and still get Issue 3? I'm not sure I can justify twenty quid a month on graphic novels I'm not really choosing. I want the first three, but not really bothered about The Ultimates volume 1, especially since they're bound to wait 5 or 6 more issues before releasing volume 2.

Confusion is a way of life, not a state of mind

Post #: 15
RE: Marvel Graphic Novel Collection - 6/1/2012 7:30:39 PM   
juanvasquez

quote:

ORIGINAL: Vadersville

Just picked up the first issue for 2.99 and I have to say I am very impressed with the quality of the book. Inside was a little flyer for subscribing which says if I subscribe within 10 days and pay by direct debit I will get the third issue free and also receive: a POW! mug, Incredible Hulk DVD, Wham! shoulder bag and ZAP! bookends free as well. PLUS I can cancel at anytime. Seems too good to be true. So I look over it again and find on a second flyer that it says I have to give 28 days notice when cancelling if I pay by direct debit... Does this mean that that I have to pay 19.98 and not get anything? Or could I receive Issue 2, then cancel immeditaely and still get Issue 3? I'm not sure I can justify twenty quid a month on graphic novels I'm not really choosing. I want the first three, but not really bothered about The Ultimates volume 1, especially since they're bound to wait 5 or 6 more issues before releasing volume 2.

Just cancel the DD when you've had enough. That's what I'm gonna do.

(in reply to Vadersville)
Post #: 16
RE: Marvel Graphic Novel Collection - 6/1/2012 7:40:03 PM   
Nexus Wookie

Anyone have an idea when issue 2 will hit the shops? I cant wait to get my hands on it!!

Post #: 17
RE: Marvel Graphic Novel Collection - 6/1/2012 7:51:13 PM   
furrybastard

I'm always suspicious of these things. 28 days or 28 business days, I wonder?

Post #: 18
RE: Marvel Graphic Novel Collection - 6/1/2012 10:12:04 PM   
Vadersville

quote:

ORIGINAL: juanvasquez

quote:

ORIGINAL: Vadersville

Just cancel the DD when you've had enough. That's what I'm gonna do.

Well, I've decided to pay by card as opposed to DD, that way I can cancel at anytime not 28 days notice. Interestingly they say that issues 3 and 4 will be posted as one delivery. Does that mean I'll have to wait til Issue 3 is out before I got them or will I get Issue 3 early? Also since they send two issues at a time its going to be 6 issues before you get the shoulder bag on your third delivery. Sneaky. Still at 6.99 for two hardback graphic novels, a mug and a DVD I think I've done pretty well out of it.

Confusion is a way of life, not a state of mind

Post #: 19
RE: Marvel Graphic Novel Collection - 6/1/2012 10:23:21 PM   
juanvasquez

I've got the first one through the subscription so I'll get the free stuff a little sooner. I hope. Need a new man bag

(in reply to Vadersville)
Post #: 20
RE: Marvel Graphic Novel Collection - 7/1/2012 3:15:56 PM   
Chojin

Just popped into my local comic shop and they have Issue 2 on sale already (Phoenix). Seems subscribers will be behind newsagents buyers! Would have been better if we were ahead for our commitment to the cause.

< Message edited by Chojin -- 7/1/2012 3:16:16 PM >

XBL/PSN - Chojin22000

Post #: 21
RE: Marvel Graphic Novel Collection - 7/1/2012 5:00:00 PM   
Harry Tuttle

I'm still fucking waiting for issue 1 .

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

(in reply to Chojin)
Post #: 22
RE: Marvel Graphic Novel Collection - 7/1/2012 6:26:27 PM   
Harry Tuttle

Check out the time the above post was posted.

Who wants to touch me?

Acting...Naturaaal

Post #: 23
RE: Marvel Graphic Novel Collection - 7/1/2012 6:46:35 PM   
directorscut

I was going to buy #1 today but then I realized I already owned it.

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.

Post #: 24
RE: Marvel Graphic Novel Collection - 8/1/2012 4:00:08 PM   
Nexus Wookie

I popped into my local newsagents today, to see if Dark Phoenix was out, but guess what, i saw THREE copies of issue 1 still on sale!!! Things must move really slow in that shop, because as far as i know, they've been selling like hot cakes and for some people, its been very hard trying to snag a copy!!

< Message edited by Nexus Wookie -- 8/1/2012 4:05:34 PM >

(in reply to directorscut)
Post #: 25
RE: Marvel Graphic Novel Collection - 9/1/2012 1:08:39 PM   
Harry Tuttle

My issue 1 still hasn't arrived yet. I know it's only a week since I ordered it but I know people who subscribed around the same time as me and they received their copies over the weekend. Bloody Royal Mail .

Acting...Naturaaal

Post #: 26
RE: Marvel Graphic Novel Collection - 9/1/2012 1:51:25 PM   
Nexus Wookie

quote:

My issue 1 still hasn't arrived yet. I know it's only a week since I ordered it but I know people who subscribed around the same time as me and they received their copies over the weekend. Bloody Royal Mail .

I feel for you mate! But be patient, it'll arrive very soon!

Post #: 27
RE: Marvel Graphic Novel Collection - 9/1/2012 3:10:04 PM   
Harry Tuttle

I'm really not sure why I'm in such a hurry to receive it, it'll be ages before I get through my backlog anyway. I've always been slightly on edge while I'm waiting for something to be delivered though.

Acting...Naturaaal

Post #: 28
RE: Marvel Graphic Novel Collection - 9/1/2012 9:43:38 PM   
Dark Knight

Anyone know the street date for Issue 2?

"I'm too tense to speak!" - Borstal

Post #: 29
RE: Marvel Graphic Novel Collection - 9/1/2012 9:51:34 PM   
juanvasquez

quote:

I'm really not sure why I'm in such a hurry to receive it, it'll be ages before I get through my backlog anyway. I've always been slightly on edge while I'm waiting for something to be delivered though.

I'm the same! I'm like an impatient little kid, but I've got more than enough to be getting on with!

Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Bookworms >> The Comic Shack >> Marvel Graphic Novel Collection Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI