Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Xbox '720' Thread

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Joypad >> RE: Xbox '720' Thread Page: <<   < prev  7 8 [9] 10 11   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Xbox '720' Thread - 27/2/2013 11:04:33 AM   
Xanxiani

Does anyone else think that the current Games on Demand sale is related to rumoured attempts to destroy the 2nd hand market? If the sale shows there's a demand for reasonably priced Digital games (the current sale matches 2nd hand retail prices for perhaps the first time ever) it could give them the mandate they need to push for Digital distribution only...

"But there's no sense crying
Over every mistake.
You just keep on trying
Till you run out of cake."

(in reply to Peter Griffin)
Post #: 241
RE: Xbox '720' Thread - 27/2/2013 11:30:59 AM   
Your Funny Uncle

quote:

Xbox 720 could see timed-exclusivity of EA titles and DLC going into the next generation, sources have claimed. A deal is expected to be announced between both parties at Microsoft’s console reveal event, currently rumoured for April 26th.

The rumoured event will allegedly see a deal announced between EA and Microsoft, that could give Xbox 720 / Durango first dibs on all EA titles for a while.

CVG’s sources have told the site that the terms of the deal are not concrete, but given EA’s approach of launching games across all formats the deal will likely amount to timed exclusives, rather than Xbox 720-only titles. Timed-exclusive DLC could also be on the cards.

We now know that both the EA-published IP from Respawn Entertainment will appear at E3 2013 and that Battlefield 4 has gone next-gen. Could these games launch as timed Xbox 720 exclusives?

We’ll keep our ears to the ground on this one, but I did find it odd that EA didn’t appear at Sony’s PS4 announcement last week, given its track record of appearing at every showcase under the sun

Empires Top 100 Movie Characters of All Time! - VOTE NOW by clicking HERE

(in reply to Xanxiani)
Post #: 242
RE: Xbox '720' Thread - 27/2/2013 11:35:25 AM   
Your Funny Uncle

quote:

ORIGINAL: Xanxiani

Does anyone else think that the current Games on Demand sale is related to rumoured attempts to destroy the 2nd hand market? If the sale shows there's a demand for reasonably priced Digital games (the current sale matches 2nd hand retail prices for perhaps the first time ever) it could give them the mandate they need to push for Digital distribution only...

Probably. There's some real bargains to be had in this sale. I wouldn't mind buying Games on Demand if they're reasonably priced. At the end of the day you don't have a physical copy of the game so they should be cheaper than the retail versions not more expensive.

Also....

quote:

Same headline, different source. This is now 2 and 0 in regards to inside sources claiming that the Xbox 720 will block used games and will sport always-on DRM. The latest postulator is Eidos president Ian Livingstone, who claims that Microsoft's next generation home console will be about as anti-consumer as anti-consumer gets.

The next-gen Xbox 720 will block used games using watermarks on discs, according to Eidos president Ian Livingstone.

Livingstone was in India promoting Crystal Dynamics’ Tomb Raider reboot (which we reviewed here) when he told MCV India Xbox 720 will block used games.

He said: “With the next Xbox, you supposedly have to have an internet connection, and the discs are watermarked, whereby once played on one console it won’t play on another.”

Livingstone was talking about PS4 and Xbox 720 using optical media instead of going fully digital and how the system would be used to compromise between digital and disc.

He said: “Boxed games aren’t being abandoned just yet. I think the next iteration of consoles – the PS4 and the next Xbox, have got optical disc drives even though they probably don’t want to have them.

“Broadband speed globally isn’t at a level that justifies digital-only.

“So they’ve gone halfway. With the next Xbox, you supposedly have to have an internet connection, and the discs are watermarked, whereby once played on one console it won’t play on another. So I think the generation after that will be digital-only.”

He also said PS4 and Xbox 720 will be the last consoles in their traditional form, with future devices being packed into TVs and set-top boxes

(in reply to Xanxiani)
Post #: 243
RE: Xbox '720' Thread - 27/2/2013 12:22:59 PM   
Dpp1978

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sexual Harassment Panda

As motion controls have already proved thus far, moving around the room to play games does not add to the experience and in fact sitting down and kicking back is half the appeal, if I have to move around my living room and walk about to get the full experience then count me out. This is also a tech that would be heavily reliant on living room space, and those of us with TVs in the corners of our rooms would be fucked.

While I don't necessarily disagree with you, I'm ambivalent about motion controls (the sword fighting in Twilight Princess worked better on Gamecube with a controller than on Wii with motion control: aiming with the Wii remote was much better however), you are giving your personal opinion on the issue and generalising them out to be wider truths. I'd argue that motion controls add immensely to certain rythm genres: dance games in particular. They are far from my cup of tea but they are certainly popular.

I completely agree that these types of games and the layout they require do not suit everyone's living arrangements. Anyone without adequate floorspace will not be able to use Kinect to its full potential (a massive issue in Japan). Similarly anyone who doesn't have an expensive steering wheel, or lacks the room to set one up, can't play Gran Turismo or Forza to their full potential.

In any case the head tracking demos I've seen have all been from the comfort of a chair, and work best in an environment where viewing distance and field of view can be tightly controlled. Moving around the room would destroy the illusion.

quote:

The best things they could do (besides binning off this motion control nonsense) is more subtle additions, e.g. I'm playing Fallout and by raising my arm up my view changes to the Pip Boy screen.

The type of head tracking I'm thinking of is subtle. It would add to immersion but is in no way essential. It is on top of traditional controls not instead of them.

As I noted previously, if used with a dedicated driving set up it'd be great.

I'm all for new approaches and try to keep an open mind rather than just put all motion control schemes into a pile labled junk. They may not always work, but that is a very different position to one where they can never work.

(in reply to Sexual Harassment Panda)
Post #: 244
RE: Xbox '720' Thread - 27/2/2013 12:37:33 PM   
Harry Tuttle

quote:

ORIGINAL: Your Funny Uncle
Also....

quote:

Same headline, different source. This is now 2 and 0 in regards to inside sources claiming that the Xbox 720 will block used games and will sport always-on DRM. The latest postulator is Eidos president Ian Livingstone, who claims that Microsoft's next generation home console will be about as anti-consumer as anti-consumer gets.

The next-gen Xbox 720 will block used games using watermarks on discs, according to Eidos president Ian Livingstone.

Livingstone was in India promoting Crystal Dynamics' Tomb Raider reboot (which we reviewed here) when he told MCV India Xbox 720 will block used games.

He said: "With the next Xbox, you supposedly have to have an internet connection, and the discs are watermarked, whereby once played on one console it won't play on another.”

Livingstone was talking about PS4 and Xbox 720 using optical media instead of going fully digital and how the system would be used to compromise between digital and disc.

He said: "Boxed games aren't being abandoned just yet. I think the next iteration of consoles – the PS4 and the next Xbox, have got optical disc drives even though they probably don't want to have them.

"Broadband speed globally isn't at a level that justifies digital-only.

"So they've gone halfway. With the next Xbox, you supposedly have to have an internet connection, and the discs are watermarked, whereby once played on one console it won't play on another. So I think the generation after that will be digital-only.”

He also said PS4 and Xbox 720 will be the last consoles in their traditional form, with future devices being packed into TVs and set-top boxes

Still sceptical about the above till I hear an official announcement but the rumours do seem to be gainng a bit of traction. If the always on internet is confirmed then it looks like the next gen will be the first one I'll have no involvement in since the Atari 2600 was released (the adherence to the dual shock design makes the PS4 a non starter). Don't get me wrong, I have a really good internet connection at home which is extremely stable but just the chance that something out of my hands will be able to stop me playing my console is enough for me to tell them to shove it.

Seems like commercial suicide to me, Micorsoft could be overplaying their hand here if the rumours do turn out to be true.

< Message edited by Harry Tuttle -- 27/2/2013 12:38:01 PM >

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Blood Island. So called because it's the exact shape of some blood

(in reply to Your Funny Uncle)
Post #: 245
RE: Xbox '720' Thread - 27/2/2013 1:03:04 PM   
Sexual Harassment Panda

quote:

ORIGINAL: Xanxiani

I think as we near the next generation we know Digital Distribution is going to play a bigger part in the way the console manufacturers approach the sale of games. We're going to see better prices and simultaneous releases (though they'd be better off releasing digital versions earlier than hard copies if they want to convince more people to adopt the digital approach).

I just think this sale is a means for MS to test the waters with regards to their servers handling heavy demand for large downloads (5gb+). Of course it's also a way to make a bit of extra money from games that really don't make money anymore at little or no cost.

Ole Gunnar Solskj�r - 1996-2007

Member of the MW2 Star 69 Club
Member of the CoD4 Mile High Club

(in reply to Xanxiani)
Post #: 246
RE: Xbox '720' Thread - 27/2/2013 1:05:58 PM   
Sexual Harassment Panda

quote:

ORIGINAL: Harry Tuttle

quote:

ORIGINAL: Your Funny Uncle
Also....

quote:

Livingstone was in India promoting Crystal Dynamics' Tomb Raider reboot (which we reviewed here) when he told MCV India Xbox 720 will block used games.

He said: "With the next Xbox, you supposedly have to have an internet connection, and the discs are watermarked, whereby once played on one console it won't play on another.”

He said: "Boxed games aren't being abandoned just yet. I think the next iteration of consoles – the PS4 and the next Xbox, have got optical disc drives even though they probably don't want to have them.

"Broadband speed globally isn't at a level that justifies digital-only.

"So they've gone halfway. With the next Xbox, you supposedly have to have an internet connection, and the discs are watermarked, whereby once played on one console it won't play on another. So I think the generation after that will be digital-only.”

Still sceptical about the above till I hear an official announcement but the rumours do seem to be gainng a bit of traction. If the always on internet is confirmed then it looks like the next gen will be the first one I'll have no involvement in since the Atari 2600 was released (the adherence to the dual shock design makes the PS4 a non starter). Don't get me wrong, I have a really good internet connection at home which is extremely stable but just the chance that something out of my hands will be able to stop me playing my console is enough for me to tell them to shove it.

Seems like commercial suicide to me, Micorsoft could be overplaying their hand here if the rumours do turn out to be true.

I don't think these people are grasping the right end of the stick on this, I see this tech being utilised as a piracy prevention measure rather than preventing second hand sales, it could also just be something that is only used in piracy heavy regions like China.

However it is Sony that patented the tech, so still sceptical MS even have anything like this in place at all.

(in reply to Harry Tuttle)
Post #: 247
RE: Xbox '720' Thread - 27/2/2013 1:14:27 PM   
Harry Tuttle

The 2nd hand thing doesn't really bother me, I never really buy 2nd hand games (though I do trade old games in against the price of a new one) although the possibility you won't be able to borrow any games off anyone will be a kicker. It's the always on internet connection that will decide whether I buy into the next generation or not. Like I say, even the slightest chance that I may not be able to play my console when I want to due to factors outside my control means that I won't even consider buying the product.

Still rumours at the moment though so there's no point getting worked up about anything till there's an official announcement.

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Blood Island. So called because it's the exact shape of some blood

(in reply to Sexual Harassment Panda)
Post #: 248
RE: Xbox '720' Thread - 27/2/2013 1:26:54 PM   
sroey

I can't see MS going for a used games block. Hell how are you supposed to borrow a game from a friend or relative? Always on Internet? Not going to happen either. Plenty of areas in the world don't have an internet connection - can't see it happening.

I can however see some form of anti-piracy measure being used.

BF4 timed exclusive on the next Xbox?! Sold!!

(in reply to Harry Tuttle)
Post #: 249
RE: Xbox '720' Thread - 27/2/2013 1:34:37 PM   
Sexual Harassment Panda

quote:

ORIGINAL: sroey

BF4 timed exclusive on the next Xbox?! Sold!!

Disagree again, all this does is effect gamers negatively, there's no plus side to timed exclusives for us gamers, the only benefits are for MS and the developer. MS need to stop wasting the money they get from our Xbox LIVE subs, game purchases and console purchases on crap like this and start paying to make actual exclusive games, and I mean first or second party games not just buying exclusive rights to Splinter Cell or something.

< Message edited by Sexual Harassment Panda -- 27/2/2013 1:35:22 PM >

(in reply to sroey)
Post #: 250
RE: Xbox '720' Thread - 27/2/2013 1:39:41 PM   
superdan

quote:

ORIGINAL: sroey

I can't see MS going for a used games block. Hell how are you supposed to borrow a game from a friend or relative? Always on Internet? Not going to happen either. Plenty of areas in the world don't have an internet connection - can't see it happening.

All good points and not only that, I think there's the chance it could do as much harm as good to sales. If (and it's still an 'if') it turns out to be true, then I for one wouldn't upgrade for the first time since the Master System/NES days, and will stick to the PC. It's not just that I buy 2nd hand or borrow games (which I often do). It's that when a new (typically outrageously priced) game comes out I often trade games in to make the Ł40-Ł50 palatable. If I can't do that, then I simply wouldn't buy a game when it comes out, ever, and would have to be a couple of years behind waiting for the games I want to play turning up in the bargain bin. Fuck that.

(in reply to sroey)
Post #: 251
RE: Xbox '720' Thread - 27/2/2013 2:19:12 PM   
Vadersville

A thought just occured to me. This rumoured game block, preventing you from using a disc on more than one console... what happens if your console has to be replaced?

Confusion is a way of life, not a state of mind

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 252
RE: Xbox '720' Thread - 27/2/2013 3:01:49 PM   
paulyboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Vadersville

A thought just occured to me. This rumoured game block, preventing you from using a disc on more than one console... what happens if your console has to be replaced?

Presume they'll be some sort of licence transfer tool that can only be used every so often, much like the one that exists for downloadable content at the moment.

I can't see them doing it, the head of Sony Worldwide Studios told Eurogamer last week after the PS4 reveal that they wouldn't be blocking used games, with that in mind I don't see how Microsoft has any choice quite frankly. Mind you, the head of Playstation UK said the other day that the issue was "still to be clarified" so god knows what's happening.

The only way either will get away with it is if both do it.

"Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory lasts forever!"

(in reply to Vadersville)
Post #: 253
RE: Xbox '720' Thread - 27/2/2013 3:06:48 PM   
Ghidorah

quote:

ORIGINAL: Vadersville

It's highly unlikely the Xbox 720 games will work on the PS4.

The only option is to send the console to MS repair center. The console is either repaired or the console ID will be transfered to another 720. It's no different to what MS did during the 360 three red lights. People either get their consoles repaired, they get a brand new 360 or they get a 2nd hand badly repaired 360. The later two had their consoles ID transferred to the new console and players were able to access their previous DLC without internet access.

< Message edited by Ghidorah -- 27/2/2013 3:07:12 PM >

(in reply to Vadersville)
Post #: 254
RE: Xbox '720' Thread - 27/2/2013 3:42:52 PM   
Your Funny Uncle

If the rumours are true, surely it'll have to be linked to your gamertag and not the actual console? What if you have two consoles as I do, one upstairs and one downstairs? It would be silly that you could only play the game on one. In fact, the whole premise is sillly.

(in reply to Ghidorah)
Post #: 255
RE: Xbox '720' Thread - 27/2/2013 3:45:37 PM   
Chief

Or they just lock it to your gamertag.

Edit: Fuck you YFU.

< Message edited by Chief -- 27/2/2013 3:46:51 PM >

(in reply to Xanxiani)
Post #: 256
RE: Xbox '720' Thread - 20/3/2013 1:52:48 PM   
Chief

http://shopto.net/news/42238/Rumour-New-documents-show-always-on-connection-for-Next-Xbox-Plays-all-games-from-HDD

More rumours. I still think it's all BS, can't see how it would work and why they would do it. Too many factors against it.

(in reply to Xanxiani)
Post #: 257
RE: Xbox '720' Thread - 20/3/2013 8:38:44 PM   
James2183

The fallout from the Sim City debacle will mean it wont ever have to be constantly connected to the net.

Hey bub, I aint finished with you yet!

"We do not beat the reaper by living longer. We beat the reaper by living well and living fully" - Randy Pausch

(in reply to Chief)
Post #: 258
RE: Xbox '720' Thread - 20/3/2013 9:57:28 PM   
Skiba

Forgive me for being thicker than the offspring of a TOWIE star and a Premiership footballer, but what are the benefits of having an always on connection for the game, its makers and the likes of Microsoft?

Have a good time, all the time.

(in reply to James2183)
Post #: 259
RE: Xbox '720' Thread - 21/3/2013 9:05:32 AM   
Chief

No idea, some sort of security measure maybe?

(in reply to Xanxiani)
Post #: 260
RE: Xbox '720' Thread - 21/3/2013 9:31:42 AM   
Your Funny Uncle

Further to Chiefs link:

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/gaming/news/a467035/xbox-720-to-be-always-on-always-connected-says-report.html

(in reply to Chief)
Post #: 261
RE: Xbox '720' Thread - 21/3/2013 10:09:06 AM   
Flatulent_Bob

Why does this mean anything about second hand games not being accepted or a permanent internet connection?
I can't see where that is stated in that document, simply that the console is always on. If it does have a permanent internet connection that makes sense if it runs all game/system updates so that when you want to play its available and ready to go. Nothing more annoying that having a spare 20 mins and then having to patch for the first 10.

I posted this in November from what I had been told and it seems to fit better than the assumption about 2nd hand games.
quote:

Always-on gaming - 8GB or RAM in a console is huge, and this will be used to store games so loading times will be reduced, and certain pre-loaded games will be instantly accessible.

This always on and no 2nd hand games seem to keep getting linked by the press and as discussed again on here in Feb I don't think they are necessarily linked.

< Message edited by Flatulent_Bob -- 21/3/2013 10:14:00 AM >

I'm your huckleberry...

All the world will be your enemy, Prince of a Thousand enemies. And when they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

Oh my God! They banned Kenny!

Post #: 262
RE: Xbox '720' Thread - 21/3/2013 10:11:43 AM   
paulyboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Skiba

Forgive me for being thicker than the offspring of a TOWIE star and a Premiership footballer, but what are the benefits of having an always on connection for the game, its makers and the likes of Microsoft?

Presumably to stop game piracy, much like the always online DRM debacles of Diablo III and SimCity on PC.

Of course Microsoft won't actually say that, they'll say it's for something along the lines of "delivering next generation entertainment 24/7", which is code for the above.

I still don't see it happening personally, imagine the SimCity fiasco multiplied by ten, as 25 million people attempt to validate Call of Duty: Black Ops 13 all at once. If previous experience has taught us anything recently, it's that servers never cope under that sort of load, ever.

(in reply to Skiba)
Post #: 263
RE: Xbox '720' Thread - 21/3/2013 11:29:04 AM   
Your Funny Uncle

This internet 'always-on' scheme is a little worrying as I like to take my console to work and play offline. If this is impossible then it's a bit of a deal breaker really....

(in reply to paulyboy)
Post #: 264
RE: Xbox '720' Thread - 21/3/2013 11:45:04 AM   
paulyboy

To be fair what Bob said above about the stories posted is true, whilst there's lots of talk in that leaked Durango fluff about "Always On, Always Connected", there's no mention that the console has to be always connected in order to verify games or anything of the sort.

It's implied that the console will have a low power stand-by type feature, always staying connected and downloading patches, updates, pre-loading games and allowing an instant resume type feature so that you're never waiting for anything, it's not too disimilar from some of the stuff Sony talked about in their press conference.

There's no actual mention of online DRM etc, although I think it would be naive to assume Microsoft aren't toying with the idea, it's certainly one of the main benefits to be had from such a setup, we'll see.

Post #: 265
RE: Xbox '720' Thread - 21/3/2013 12:41:27 PM   
Gizmo 76

I'd happily accept the need for a connection if we were able to install all our games and not need to faff around with the discs. Maybe the license for that install can be revoked as soon as the game is played on different gamertag on another console... and if no connection available the game asks for the disc like current installs.

I don't believe they'll stop pre-owned games.. but then companies do seem to like doing stuff at the moment that generates an internet fury blacklash on a large scale

Giz Presents . . .

My Website of Work

(in reply to paulyboy)
Post #: 266
RE: Xbox '720' Thread - 21/3/2013 1:07:56 PM   
Flatulent_Bob

One thing you can bet your house on is Microsoft won't deny it.

This is creating a hell of a lot of chat about the new Xbox at exactly the time the PS4 had there "not really much to show" launch.
The smart move is to let the free publicity continue to build up and then confirm it isn't accurate just prior to release.
You get months of people discussing your console instead of a rival, and a massive thumbs up from the community upon release.

Free publicity, zero cost, positive customer response, zero effort = Utopia.

< Message edited by Flatulent_Bob -- 21/3/2013 1:09:46 PM >

I'm your huckleberry...

All the world will be your enemy, Prince of a Thousand enemies. And when they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

(in reply to Gizmo 76)
Post #: 267
RE: Xbox '720' Thread - 21/3/2013 2:03:58 PM   
Chief

quote:

ORIGINAL: Flatulent_Bob

One thing you can bet your house on is Microsoft won't deny it.

This is creating a hell of a lot of chat about the new Xbox at exactly the time the PS4 had there "not really much to show" launch.
The smart move is to let the free publicity continue to build up and then confirm it isn't accurate just prior to release.
You get months of people discussing your console instead of a rival, and a massive thumbs up from the community upon release.

Free publicity, zero cost, positive customer response, zero effort = Utopia.

Exactly what I was thinking.

My first thought was why don't they come out now and deny it if not true? But then I started thinking let everyone begin to think you truly are the anti-Christ then come out with the big reveal.

(in reply to Flatulent_Bob)
Post #: 268
RE: Xbox '720' Thread - 21/3/2013 2:19:49 PM   
sroey

quote:

ORIGINAL: paulyboy

To be fair what Bob said above about the stories posted is true, whilst there's lots of talk in that leaked Durango fluff about "Always On, Always Connected", there's no mention that the console has to be always connected in order to verify games or anything of the sort.

It's implied that the console will have a low power stand-by type feature, always staying connected and downloading patches, updates, pre-loading games and allowing an instant resume type feature so that you're never waiting for anything, it's not too disimilar from some of the stuff Sony talked about in their press conference.

There's no actual mention of online DRM etc, although I think it would be naive to assume Microsoft aren't toying with the idea, it's certainly one of the main benefits to be had from such a setup, we'll see.

Exactly, 'always on, always connected' fits in well with the Share button Sony have introduced. Wouldn't work if its not got an internet connection always on.

Same for MS. People just like to exaggerate when it comes to MS. Obviously if MS do decide to gimp the next Xbox with a DRM feature then I'll stand corrected. That said game devs/publishers will need some reassurance that the next platforms aren't going to be piracy havens...its a fine line.

< Message edited by sroey -- 21/3/2013 2:22:34 PM >

(in reply to paulyboy)
Post #: 269
RE: Xbox '720' Thread - 21/3/2013 3:29:28 PM   
Flatulent_Bob

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978

I know there is a dedicated PS4 thread, but this seems to have become the de facto next gen console discussion thread so I'll post this here.

Bob: Here is the spec sheet Sony released after the conference: click me.

The reason the announcement was really well received by developers and more tech savvy gamers was the choice of a single pool of 8GB of ultra fast GDDR RAM. Up to that point the rumour mill was sure it would be 4GB (and in all other respects the rumours were spot on) compared with Xbox's 8GB of much slower DDR3 RAM (albeit with a cache of faster memory to help compensate).

This led to a back and forth over which solution would be better: was a smaller pool of fast RAM better than a Bigger pool of slow RAM, or vice versa. Both sides made valid points, but the consensus among the hardware geeks was Sony's solution was probably better for games. When Sony announced there is to 8GB: matching MS' rumoured offering, and at triple the bandwidth of DDR3 it seems that any discussion about which is better has become largely moot. I'm not a tech specialist. I'm reasonably savvy so can follow the debate even if I don't completely understand the subtleties. So give this analysis as much weight as it deserves.

On top of this Sony's console is reported to have a significantly more powerful graphics chip and is apparently much easier to develop for than the PS3 was. Sony appears to have learned their lesson after 2 generations of exotic architecture and gone with a more conventional design.

Xbox is rumoured to have a stronger CPU, and their choice of low latency memory is reportedly better for general purpose computing so it might not be as one sided as current speculation would have us believe.

I should probably note at this point that the next gen Xbox's reported specs are still based on leaked documents. It is possible that things have changed. but the same sources who leaked these specs were almost right on the money about PS4 (except for the quantity of memory, which appears to be last minute revision).

From where we stand it looks like PS4 will be significantly more powerful than the next Xbox, but we'll have to wait at least until MS do their unveiling to be sure what their offering's spec sheet looks like (assuming they release it). Whichever is more powerful, both are beasts compared to the current generation of consoles (plus WiiU) and whatever side of the fanboy divide we find ourselves (if any) there is plenty to be happy about.

sroey: There is a new camera. It is stereo for better depth tracking and should work better with the Move controller: for those who are into that sort of thing.

The mad thing is that we are still probably the best part of a year away from release and already the tribes of rabid fanboys from both camps are sharpening their poisoned pens. I happen to find fanboy wars incredibly entertaining as a spectator sport. I can only imagine how much fun things are going to be as things develop.

Sorry mate only just seen this post, although I was aware of the spec details you've listed.
I don't think there is much doubt that Sony will make a console which on pure performance would out perform the xbox, but that was also the case for the 360. The big development from Sony is that apparently the cell processor is out and they back to basically default PC architecture meaning devs can actually write for it.
The only thing with the spec war that I can see is that due to incredible costs in developing games you would program for the lowest demonstration (ie xbox) and port to the highest spec. It may run slightly smoother but it will have been developed for Xbox architecture.
The likely result is the same as this generation that unless a game is exclusive and coded just to the Playstation all that lovely processing and graphical power will be kept unused until the next Drake or Gran Tourismo (although 6 was confirmed to be PS3 which I think may change)is released.

I'm your huckleberry...

(in reply to Dpp1978)
Post #: 270
Page:   <<   < prev  7 8 [9] 10 11   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Joypad >> RE: Xbox '720' Thread Page: <<   < prev  7 8 [9] 10 11   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI