Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Xbox One

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Joypad >> Xbox One Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Xbox One - 4/1/2012 3:01:08 PM   
Your Funny Uncle

It's pretty widely speculated that we'll see the announcement of the new console from Microsoft this year, so here's a thread for it! From rumours and speculation to official announcments, this thread should see it all.

So I'll kick us off....

quote:

Microsoft's assault on the living room continues, with a new patent suggesting that the next generation Xbox will be a digital video recorder as well as just a games console.

Especially after the recent dashboard upgrade the Xbox 360 already offers a variety of multimedia extras, including movies, music and a deal with Sky. But it looks like their next console may be going even further.

As discovered by website Kotaku, Microsoft has registered a patent for 'a digital video recorder (DVR) application running alongside a television client component [that] allows users to record media content on the gaming console'.

'The DVR application also integrates itself with the console menu,' continues the description. 'Once integrated, users can record media content while playing games. Alternatively, users can record content when the gaming console is turned off.'

'The recorded content can include television programming, gaming experience (whether local or online), music, DVDs, and so on. When in the recording state, users can also switch between various other media modes, whether gaming, television, and so on.'

The patent was first applied for in 2007 but was only granted on December 27 last year. Quite why it's been granted we can't imagine because it's hardly a unique idea and the PlayTV add-on for the PlayStation 3 does almost exactly the same things.

The Xbox 720, or whatever it ends up being called, will have all these features built-in though and rather than Sony it's likely that Microsoft's real thoughts were directed towards a rivalry with Apple and their plans for a branded HDTV.

Some rumours peg the launch of an Apple iTV for this year, not a set-top box like the Apple TV but a full television set that works alongside other iOS devices and the iCloud. The implications for gaming are considerable, although as ever games are likely to be a fairly low priority for Apple at the start.

It's suggested that one of Apple's primary goals at the moment is trying to secure exclusive sports rights, including English football.

http://www.techradar.com/news/gaming/consoles/xbox-720-every-rumour-about-the-new-xbox-937167

< Message edited by Your Funny Uncle -- 21/5/2013 6:15:14 PM >

Empires Top 100 Movie Characters of All Time! - VOTE NOW by clicking HERE
Post #: 1
RE: Xbox '720' Thread - 4/1/2012 3:03:41 PM   
Scott_

I hope it's not called the 720 or 362 or Nextbox and I really, really hope they don't force more Kinect bullshit on us with it.

"You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend: Those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig."

Check out my top 21 films - http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3188740

360 Gamertag - SmokinFuzz

(in reply to Your Funny Uncle)
Post #: 2
RE: Xbox '720' Thread - 4/1/2012 3:08:27 PM   
directorscut

Two things are a must from this console:

1) An acceptable failure rate (ie, 4%)
2) Backward compatibility with our gamertag, games and downloads.

Also there should be a lot less restrictions on developers, especially in terms of how they can update and patch their games.

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.

Post #: 3
RE: Xbox '720' Thread - 4/1/2012 3:12:50 PM   
Harry Tuttle

quote:

ORIGINAL: directorscut

Two things are a must from this console:

1) An acceptable failure rate (ie, 4%)

Can't argue with that. The limited (and shit) backwards compatibility between teh Xbox and the 360 has always pissed me off.

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Blood Island. So called because it's the exact shape of some blood

(in reply to directorscut)
Post #: 4
RE: Xbox '720' Thread - 4/1/2012 3:13:13 PM   
borstal

It better have a storage device. That cloud storage can fuck off with my shitty internet connection. I want to be able to use my game saves without having to be online.

It wouldnt surprise me to see kinect built into the hardware somehow. Now before anyone gets all giddy and says its only been out over a year. It'll be next year or the year after (or even later) when the next gen is released and Microsoft have already shown us that they arent afraid to dump existing tech and bite the bullet as they did with the original Xbox. So yes, inbuilt kinect that can count my eyelashes and register when Matts missus is stood infront of the console...again.

Recording would be fun as Ive enjoyed previous games that let you record footage. Like the clip where I completely fuck flipper over on MW2.

"Can you imagine the satisfaction of slamming that camping cunt Scott with a missile while sitting in Costa?" - Chief

http://www.redbubble.com/people/borstal
http://letterboxd.com/borstal/

(in reply to Scott_)
Post #: 5
RE: Xbox '720' Thread - 4/1/2012 3:14:33 PM   
borstal

quote:

I'd say that was essential.

Also find a way to keep my gamerscore relevent!

"Can you imagine the satisfaction of slamming that camping cunt Scott with a missile while sitting in Costa?" - Chief

http://www.redbubble.com/people/borstal
http://letterboxd.com/borstal/

Post #: 6
RE: Xbox '720' Thread - 4/1/2012 3:23:18 PM   
Flatulent_Bob

quote:

ORIGINAL: Scott_

I hope it's not called the 720 or 362 or Nextbox and I really, really hope they don't force more Kinect bullshit on us with it.

I thought "loop" was the current dev name and I think its nailed on that "Kinnect bullshit" will be incorporated.

I'd personally like to see how they are going to resolve the issue of relatively slow throughput from local Storage to CPU/GPU.
Until they crack that little chestnut, steam like cloud storage or physical media (bluray?) is irrelevant.

Once that's resolved we're into solid state/cartridge/ kinda debate, although surely once solid state smashes the current capacity ceiling it has to be an option. Less power, no cooling, quick and less likely to have hardware failures its really the holy grail of the next gen puzzle.
It could also be the area that PS4 steals a march on microsoft if they push this gen out too soon.

< Message edited by Flatulent_Bob -- 4/1/2012 4:00:10 PM >

I'm your huckleberry...

All the world will be your enemy, Prince of a Thousand enemies. And when they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

Oh my God! They banned Kenny!

(in reply to Scott_)
Post #: 7
RE: Xbox '720' Thread - 4/1/2012 4:14:36 PM   
rich

They should call it something classy like X3 or something. Kinect bullshit is likely to be built in. Full backwards compatability depends on whether they want to make money out of downloading the old games, which they will. 5 years is up though, console lifespans are usually quite standard for whatever reasons.

(in reply to Flatulent_Bob)
Post #: 8
RE: Xbox '720' Thread - 4/1/2012 5:01:46 PM   
James2183

X3 was the name that sprang to mind but might be too similar to the PS3.

Backwards compatibility is a must as there is too much time invested in GPS on my 360 to lose them.

I'd also like them to have to option to change games without having to remove discs from a tray. Perhaps a DVD changer inside the console?

Hey bub, I aint finished with you yet!

"We do not beat the reaper by living longer. We beat the reaper by living well and living fully" - Randy Pausch

(in reply to rich)
Post #: 9
RE: Xbox '720' Thread - 4/1/2012 5:38:34 PM   
Invader_Ace

ThrexBox. Has to be.

(in reply to James2183)
Post #: 10
RE: Xbox '720' Thread - 4/1/2012 6:24:15 PM   
juanvasquez

I can't see it not having internal storage as not everyone can have their Xbox With A Vengeance online I would have thought. I'm sure Cloud will have a huge push by this time but screw that, I prefer a HDD.

And I agree, backwards compatibility with gamertag and score is essential. And they're gonna have to make sure they avoid another fiasco like the rrod. Hopefully the cooling fans won't sound like jet engines in the first few versions of the console.

I can see them pandering to the casual market more than ever.

Check out my cult games reviews and features at Horror Cult Films

(in reply to Invader_Ace)
Post #: 11
RE: Xbox '720' Thread - 4/1/2012 6:42:17 PM   
Your Funny Uncle

quote:

This is essential. All the time and money invested into our gamertag and downloads has to be respected. I think they'll have learned from the launch of the 360 that backwards compatibility in games is a must, especially this time round with the amount of games available for the 360 unless there's a fantastic launch lineup of games and some amazing hardware improvements for the '720' then why would anyone really need to upgrade? If there is backwards compatibility in gamertag, downloads and software then I really would be inclined to purchase at launch. Microsoft have a big following this time round, it would be rather strange for them to alienate them.

I hope that it comes with the Kinect technology, as in a sensor bar. Not built into the console because I like my Kinect at eye level. It's a handy device to have and it's always good as an option. I don't understand peoples adversion to it.

Blu-Ray? I can't see it but it would be nice.

I'm mostly worried about the controller in all honesty, I can't imagine there being a better controller than the current 360 version. It's perfect in my opinon, this is one area where I hope they take a leaf out of Sonys book and keep it the same....

(in reply to juanvasquez)
Post #: 12
RE: Xbox '720' Thread - 4/1/2012 6:53:09 PM   
James2183

I'd hope they keep the controller the same, by far the best controller I've ever used.

I can't see them using Blu Ray as they would have to pay Sony for the right to use it. But they will need something for them to put games of next gen size on.

"We do not beat the reaper by living longer. We beat the reaper by living well and living fully" - Randy Pausch

Post #: 13
RE: Xbox '720' Thread - 4/1/2012 10:02:25 PM   
directorscut

You people forgetting the d-pad is still awful?

quote:

Blu-ray is essential. Limited DVD space is holding games back.

(in reply to James2183)
Post #: 14
RE: Xbox '720' Thread - 4/1/2012 11:41:51 PM   
James2183

Don't have any problems with my D-Pad. Games these day's don't use it for anything other than selecting perks/spells/etc.

Post #: 15
RE: Xbox '720' Thread - 4/1/2012 11:48:14 PM   
directorscut

quote:

ORIGINAL: James2183

Don't have any problems with my D-Pad. Games these day's don't use it for anything other than selecting perks/spells/etc.

Fighting games.

(in reply to James2183)
Post #: 16
RE: Xbox '720' Thread - 4/1/2012 11:50:59 PM   
Flatulent_Bob

quote:

quote:

You are missing the point with Blu-ray, you can have games filling a 50GB disc but the data rate is still about 50 megabytes/sec. While that maybe quicker than DVD (about 35 MB/sec) current technology cannot get the information off the blu-ray and through to the CPU/GPU quick enough, simplistically that will be the bottleneck with the hardware waiting for the data from your storage. The only thing Blu-ray will give you gaming wise is capacity, it can't deliver significantly increased frame rates/graphics. That is why the throughput issue is so key to the new generation,

< Message edited by Flatulent_Bob -- 5/1/2012 12:01:19 AM >

I'm your huckleberry...

All the world will be your enemy, Prince of a Thousand enemies. And when they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

Post #: 17
RE: Xbox '720' Thread - 4/1/2012 11:56:58 PM   
directorscut

quote:

ORIGINAL: Flatulent_Bob

quote:

quote:

You are missing the point with Blu-ray. Current technology cannot get the information off the blu-ray and through to the CPU/GPU quick enough. The only thing Blu-ray will give you is capacity, it can't deliver significantly increased frame rates/graphics.

Space is exactly what I'm talking about. I'm not graphic prostitute, yo. I'm talking about content and features that are cut/not even bothered with because of the lack of space on the disc.

One example off the top of my head is Mass Effect 2. Originally you were supposed to be able to recruit anyone you wanted at any time, but because the game had to be split over two discs certain characters were locked until after a certain point in the game.

Post #: 18
RE: Xbox '720' Thread - 4/1/2012 11:58:53 PM   
James2183

quote:

quote:

Fighting games.

As a casual fighting gamer I didn't have any problems with SFIV when I played it. Anyone who plays it as a more hardcore player will use specifically designed fighting pads I should think.

Post #: 19
RE: Xbox '720' Thread - 5/1/2012 12:02:32 AM   
directorscut

quote:

quote:

quote:

Fighting games.

As a casual fighting gamer I didn't have any problems with SFIV when I played it. Anyone who plays it as a more hardcore player will use specifically designed fighting pads I should think.

I'm a medium player, I get agitated at the inaccuracy of the analog stick but I'm not hardcore enough to spend money on an expensive fighting pad.

The 360 controller is the only controller I have ever used that has a D-pad so bad I use the analog stick to play fighting games.

(in reply to James2183)
Post #: 20
RE: Xbox '720' Thread - 5/1/2012 12:05:34 AM   
Flatulent_Bob

quote:

Space is exactly what I'm talking about. I'm not graphic prostitute, yo. I'm talking about content and features that are cut/not even bothered with because of the lack of space on the disc.

One example off the top of my head is Mass Effect 2. Originally you were supposed to be able to recruit anyone you wanted at any time, but because the game had to be split over two discs certain characters were locked until after a certain point in the game.

But games like RPG's would benefit massively from being able to get data from storage quicker. Areas could contain far greater detail and depth, near enough photo quality as with some current PC titles, with loading times (one of the downpoints of both ME games) reduced significantly.
For me sorting this issue really would be the Rosetta stone for the next gen but maybe due to the "Sony" issue, they may just jump straight to installing from a disc to a solid state device. Again if they can get them affordable and over a couple of TB size it would be perfect.
I just can't see why, (apart from the media player) they would want blu-ray, but the new drives would have to be 4TB minimum, especially to include the DVR. Will they use optical discs at all? Could they secure USB3 technology it would be quicker to install, but there are obvious protection/ease of piracy issues.

< Message edited by Flatulent_Bob -- 5/1/2012 8:42:45 AM >

I'm your huckleberry...

Post #: 21
RE: Xbox '720' Thread - 5/1/2012 10:05:49 AM   
Invader_Ace

If as speculated, it is going to be a media recorder as well it will have to come with a large hard disk. so I reckon your couple of TB assumption has to be right.

Post #: 22
RE: Xbox '720' Thread - 5/1/2012 12:49:07 PM   
Flatulent_Bob

quote:

ORIGINAL: Invader_Ace

If as speculated, it is going to be a media recorder as well it will have to come with a large hard disk. so I reckon your couple of TB assumption has to be right.

But its getting that on SSD, I think 500GB are the highest capacity largely available and the cost 1 per GB. That needs to be significantly higher and cheaper, which is why a rush to market could be a big problem.
Going with two drives, one for game installs (SSD) and the other for recorded media (HDD) would have all the problems of overheating and reliability. They really need to get WD (or whoever it is they intend to use) to deliver an affordable solution if the technology is there of course. I think the 1TB drive released earlier in the year was still running at about 1/GB, and the whole unit need to be retailing at under 500 surely.

< Message edited by Flatulent_Bob -- 5/1/2012 12:57:26 PM >

I'm your huckleberry...

(in reply to Invader_Ace)
Post #: 23
RE: Xbox '720' Thread - 6/1/2012 1:07:16 PM   
SWOTBM

http://uk.games.ign.com/articles/121/1215948p1.html

Time for a PS4 thread methinks   Can't wait for E3 if the rumours are true. 

PSN: light_brigade
Gamertag: chauders

Post #: 24
RE: Xbox '720' Thread - 6/1/2012 2:42:51 PM   
Flatulent_Bob

quote:

ORIGINAL: SWOTBM

Time for a PS4 thread methinks Can't wait for E3 if the rumours are true.

Seems a bit of a nothing article in all honesty. Basically it is saying that come May both Sony and Microsoft will admit the new console is in planning stages and this will be announced at E3

Well isn't that already what we know from Crytech and other studios have said they are working on next gen titles.

I'm your huckleberry...

(in reply to SWOTBM)
Post #: 25
RE: Xbox '720' Thread - 6/1/2012 3:38:05 PM   
SWOTBM

quote:

ORIGINAL: Flatulent_Bob

quote:

Time for a PS4 thread methinks   Can't wait for E3 if the rumours are true. 

Seems a bit of a nothing article in all honesty. Basically it is saying that come May both Sony and Microsoft will admit the new console is in planning stages and this will be announced at E3

Well isn't that already what we know from Crytech and other studios have said they are working on next gen titles.

That's the key part, although this is still a rumour (however ''concrete'' it may be) this is to my knowledge the first indication that we will see both consoles as E3.  We pretty much know both are in development, but this will be the first official reveal, which is surprisingly early for Sony as they keep on banging on about how much life the PS3 has left in it.  I honestly thought they would not announce anything until next E3 or at the earliest TGS later this year, but that's a conversation for another thread. 

PSN: light_brigade
Gamertag: chauders

Post #: 26
RE: Xbox '720' Thread - 6/1/2012 4:15:53 PM   
Your Funny Uncle

quote:

Time for a PS4 thread methinks Can't wait for E3 if the rumours are true.

Please keep up. It was started in May last year

http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3104810&mpage=1&key=ps4&NID=0#3104810

(in reply to SWOTBM)
Post #: 27
RE: Xbox '720' Thread - 9/1/2012 12:48:42 PM   
Flatulent_Bob

Loads of info in the new xboxworld mag.

Confirming that it is nailed on for an announcement at E3 and devs have been coding on it for a fair while.

Hmmm, has GTA V actually been confirmed as a 360/Ps3 title or will it be used to squeeze another 12 months out of the old hardware?

< Message edited by Flatulent_Bob -- 9/1/2012 12:50:18 PM >

I'm your huckleberry...

Post #: 28
RE: Xbox '720' Thread - 9/1/2012 7:41:35 PM   
Your Funny Uncle

quote:

The next Xbox will offer tablet features, a report has suggested.

The "core" of the new system will be a tablet-like device using the Windows 8 Metro interface, which can connect to a base console not unlike the Wii U, according to GameSpot.

As well as the tablet and console, the new Xbox will come with a regular controller and upgraded Kinect camera.

It was added that the "guts" of the new Xbox, speculated to be a multi-core processor and powerful graphics card, will be shown in some form at CES this week followed by a full reveal at this year's E3.

Post #: 29
RE: Xbox '720' Thread - 9/1/2012 7:55:41 PM   
Rgirvan44

I don't want all that crappy crap. A console. A controller. That is all I need. 

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Joypad >> Xbox One Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI